Zinc deficiencies. Help anyone?

Syrup

I have 3 small plants, about.. hmm.. 35 days old. I've been ferting them every two waterings (water, water, feed) with some fish ferts I picked up a long time ago. Now, what I've noticed is the leaves are starting to become really small, the newer leaves/stems are starting to bunch up tightly and the leaves are starting to turn more yellow around the veins of the plant (while the veins are staying nice and green).

The plants are in different stages of development; one being about 9 inches with about 7 nodes spread healthily 3/4ths of an inch apart, the other two are quite dinky being under 5 or 6 inches. The biggest one that I have seems to be the most effected, seemingly because it has more nodes and more internodal branch development. I've looked around and noticed that it can be that I'm depriving the plant of zinc or magnesium, possibly because of pH fluctuation. I was on a 24/0 light schedule and the problem didn't make itself known until I put it into 18/6.

Luckily it's not that damaged from it, but I took it to mean I needed to do something right away. I'm pretty sure it was the ferts I was using, because I've had 4 other grows and they've never done this to me before... and this is the first time I've used these ferts. Another thing it could be is my water... even though my last grows didn't suffer any from it. I decided to flush 'em really well, and I gave them a shower of nice fresh rain water.

All the newer leaves/nodes are all bunched together, and I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to correct the problem. Will they continue to grow that way even I do rebalance the pH back to normal? I've misplaced my pH testing strips/drops, so I need to get another pack.

Any help would be appreciated. ^^

Edit: I'm going to use some different water from now on to see if this corrects the problem. I may be overanalyzing this.

Welp, I guess I'm lucky I did something when I first noticed it. Flushed the water really good and gave it some fresh nutes. The pH is 5.8, which is just where I like it to be. The plant literally shows no sign of ever being threatened with malnutrition, it's awesome. At least 4 big fan leaves and alot of underbush were affected, and now show no signs of it at all. Also, I'm using distilled water from now on. The filter I was using must have created sodium build-up and blocked off some nutrients, so I guess that's the problem.

Don't use filtered water from the tap! Bad for bud. Other plants can handle it, but mary jane likes the good wa-wa.

Back
Top Bottom