Chef & His Wife's First Grow - Organic Super Soil - Strain Unknown

surfinchef

Hello,

Well this entry is a long time coming. But we figured late is better than never. We are excited about this grow and we definitely need and want as much advice you guys have. We have been on the forums for a few months now and we have read several of the journals and we have even had some help with our plants over on the FAQ's forum.

We are excited for this grow and probably just a little more excited about starting this journal. My wife and I have no one to share this experience with because we trust no one and we think these forums are a perfect outlet.

And finally before I get into the meat of this entry I have to give a great special thanks to my wife because without all of her help this grow certainly would not be as successful as it is now.

Now for some substance...

The setup:

22" x 22" x 44" home built cardboard grow box lined with milar.
We have three (3) unknown strain (bag seeds) plants.
Using (3) 2 1/2 gallon buckets.
Two plants are 32 days old and have been in 18/6 cycle for 13 days. (We are calling them 1 & 2)
One plant is 31 days old and it has been in 18/6 cycle for 13days as well. (We are calling this one 5)
We currently are using 6 CFL's. 4 CFL's are 100W equivalent 6500k spectrum with 1600 lumen each. 2 CFL's are 300W equivalent 2700k spectrum with 2600 lumen each, we are planning on buying two more for flowering stage.
We have a 4" inline exhaust fan attached to a 4" Viagrow carbon filter.
A small fan for circulation.
Trusty hygrometer.
And we are using all Organic Super Soil with a ratio 3:1 soil:perlite.

Back ground info:

Since we are so far along with the grow we felt that we should give you guys a little bit of background on what has happened so far...

Well to start with we germinated 6 seed. 1 through 4 were planted in soil 32 days ago. 5 & 6 were planted 31 days ago. Mostly because of bad genetics (probably because we are using bag seeds) we lost 3, 4, & 6 in less than a week. 5 is currently the largest but had a rough start. When it was a seedling it started growing root up and we had to fix that as soon as we saw it. 1 & 2 started out strong and doing well. They aren't in the best of shape but they are coming back from over watering. Thanks to FAQ's forum for the help, we fixed that problem the other day.

So now after that 5 or as we like to call her, Johnny 5, is huge and doing very well and much larger than 1 & 2. But like I said earlier we got some help in the forums and they are bouncing back just nicely.

Well I guess that is enough talk and we are sure you guys are looking forward to some pictures.

So here we go...

Here are some early pictures from the beginning when they were little seedlings:

First some of the setup:

20150305_195158.jpg

20150305_195220.jpg

20150305_195104.jpg

20150305_195120.jpg

#1 at about 10 days
20150305_195133.jpg

#5 at about 9 days
20150305_195139.jpg

Ok now for some recent pics and some taken today:

These are of #5 a couple days ago:

20150324_234949.jpg

20150324_234917.jpg

20150324_234851.jpg

Some pic of 1 & 2. They look bad in these pics because of over watering but they are looking better now:

20150324_234837.jpg

20150324_234801.jpg

20150324_234739.jpg

20150324_234728.jpg

20150324_234717.jpg

As you will see we have groomed 1 & 2 and they are looking much better today.

Ok now for some pictures from today:

First off #5 we call her Johnny 5. LOL! :

IMG_20150326_205612.jpg

IMG_20150326_073443.jpg

IMG_20150326_205625.jpg

5 has new growth leaves that have 9 points and several already have 7.

Ok now for 1 & 2 pictures from today:

IMG_20150326_205638.jpg

IMG_20150326_205654.jpg

Finally all three plants:

IMG_20150326_205709.jpg

Thats all we have for pictures now but we will have plenty in the future. Any tips or advice will be very much welcomed and used. Thinking about using LSD and definitely need help and advice on doing this correctly.

And we would like to say thank you in advanced for all of you help, advice and encouragement.

CHEERS!!

P.S. Subscriptions are welcomed and encouraged!

Hey chef! Theyre looking nice but...you cant be touching the leaves with less than sanitized hands and get those leaves out of/off the dirt. A lil strategic pruning will do some good. Theyre all the same strain I take it? Sorry to tell you but that big one is probably a male. Good news is is that they look to be good genetics :)

I was also wondering. I want to try LSD method and was wondering if we should start tying down the plants or is it too early? Are we too late?

Its LST (low stress training). I wouldnt start just yet but if you wanted to TOP them now would be a good time. If you topped now and let them veg a while longer you can tie down the branches to get a nice even canopy :)

Hey chef! Theyre looking nice but...you cant be touching the leaves with less than sanitized hands and get those leaves out of/off the dirt. A lil strategic pruning will do some good. Theyre all the same strain I take it? Sorry to tell you but that big one is probably a male. Good news is is that they look to be good genetics :)

Than for the advice we will be on that when I get home tonite. But I got you on the clean hands
I did know that one already. Plus I'm a chef so washing my hands happens about a thousand times a day.

Bit we greatly appreciate the help.

Its LST (low stress training). I wouldnt start just yet but if you wanted to TOP them now would be a good time. If you topped now and let them veg a while longer you can tie down the branches to get a nice even canopy :)

Awesome great tip. Will be doing this tonite after work too. Oh yea they are all bag seeds just not all out of the same bag though. But I was very very choice when selecting the seeds.

Those bottom leaves and the lil branches that are growing out of them should go. Theyll be "suckers". That means theyll be taking up the plants energy but not giving much in return (small worthless buds). Instead concentrate on what will produce nice branches and buds. Its a small sacrifice for the greater good of the plant as a whole. Just make sure your tools are cleaned with alcohol before touching the plants :)

Those bottom leaves and the lil branches that are growing out of them should go. Theyll be "suckers". That means theyll be taking up the plants energy but not giving much in return (small worthless buds). Instead concentrate on what will produce nice branches and buds. Its a small sacrifice for the greater good of the plant as a whole. Just make sure your tools are cleaned with alcohol before touching the plants :)

Gotcha! Thank you so much for the help.

Gotcha! Thank you so much for the help.

Very nice start to the grow, as for LST, I begin early it develops side branching and eliminates the need to remove a ton of the smaller growth due to the fact that once you bend them over and I bend them to the soil, they all become the top of the plant and begin to all become colas. Everyone has their own way try and figure out what works best for your grow environment and for you and your wife. I do take off or defoliate the plant from time to time to help light get into the bud structure. Is this a first grow? If so let the be natural and see how they progress and next round you can start with the human manipulation of the plant that can help increase yield and all, best of luck from a seasoned grower, Peace OG

Very nice start to the grow, as for LST, I begin early it develops side branching and eliminates the need to remove a ton of the smaller growth due to the fact that once you bend them over and I bend them to the soil, they all become the top of the plant and begin to all become colas. Everyone has their own way try and figure out what works best for your grow environment and for you and your wife. I do take off or defoliate the plant from time to time to help light get into the bud structure. Is this a first grow? If so let the be natural and see how they progress and next round you can start with the human manipulation of the plant that can help increase yield and all, best of luck from a seasoned grower, Peace OG
:Namaste:

yes this is our first grow. i think we will take your advice on waiting on LST but with the grow area i have i think they may grow too big so i am sure that pruning may be needed. then again we may try LST on one just to get our hands wet with that before we go all the way with it on the next grow.

trust me i will have plenty of questions about manicuring and trimming in the future! lol!

and we thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom