Water Softness & Nutrients

KenInVic

I am getting ready for a 'fertigation' grow, basically hydro in coco filled pots. One of my problems going forward is what to do with my local tap water, both when using as a carrier for nutrients and when just watering. It is usually between 20 and 23ppm out of the tap while it appears the suggested starting point is between 125 and 150ppm.

Here are my questions:
  • Should I be using something like cal/mag to up the ppm prior to adding nutrients to the tap water?
  • Also, should I bring the water up to this range if I'm only watering and not feeding?
  • Is the initial pH a factor to be taken under consideration?

Thanks for the input.

use CalMeg when using R/O or pure water

you could use a little if you wanted to help get the nutrients to the plants faster but not necessary
the 150 PPM starting is meant to be in that range for when you add your nutrients to the water

so if you are starting with 20ppm then adding your base line nutes should bring it up to that desired ppm

add CaMg first, then add your baseline nutes always starting with the MICRO blend. Mix well, after each one and wait a few minutes and check your PH. The Ph level will fluctuate.
keep topping the water up with PH water as plants like to drink more water then nutrients.

recommend changing your reservoir every 7-10 days

most brands of nutrient lines have very handy grow charts that you can input the number of litres/ gallons and it will tell you exactly the amount of each to use.

I use FloraSeries 3 part with rapid root, CaMg+ (i use R/O water) and hydroshield and follow the Custom grow chart I made on their website.

Hope this helps a bit

I possibly should have mentioned this is drain-to-waste. That may also influence the approach I should be taking. My apologies for incomplete data.

Back
Top Bottom