Will alkaline water raise soil pH safely?

Alkaline water will raise soil pH. How quickly it will raise it depends of course on just how alkaline it is and how acidic the soil is. (I have a nursery tomato potted in acidic peat moss with watering runoff that stubbornly stays below pH 5 seemingly no matter how many alkaline waterings I give it.)

As for the "safely" part of your question, I'd suggest looking at your water utility's website to see what the source of the alkalinity is. If it's the common calcium carbonate, then yes, it should be "safe" and can even contribute calcium to the soil.

Thank SCI. The soil pH is 5.5 consistently. The alkaline water is ionized and has a pH of 9.5.

5.5 isn't that bad. I'll bet you can live with that.

What do mean the water is "ionized"? Treated with UV light?

pH 9.5 water should get the 5.5 soil up to the target 6.5ish range pretty quick, but once again, pH 5.5 soil isn't all that bad.

Alkaline water has an excess of electrons. I bought some at a Water Depot. I will try on one girl and report back.

Did you mean to say "ionized water"?

Whatever they call it, it sounds like marketing BS to me. (I used to be in charge of the water used at a research institution when I was younger.)

Oh wait, I get it now. Acidic water has an excess of protons so it follows that alkaline water has an excess of electrons(?).

That's right Scientific. From the web, "Alkaline water is water that's less acidic than regular tap water. This means it is rich in alkalizing compounds, including calcium, silica, potassium, magnesium, and bicarbonate.". It is potable and peeps drink it in a health craze fashion.

Hi SCI. Thank you for offering your opinion. You're entitled to one.

The alkaline water is 30 cents per litre. I will know soon enough whether it is useless.

Actual pH registered at 9.0 on a calibrated Hanna pen.

Back
Top Bottom