To those who know LEDS

lonewolly

I really hate to even put this up here as i see so many like it but I have zero actual experience with this and would like to not waste 400 dollars on my assumptions.I have spent the past two days lurking and ingesting as much information as I can. However, I have reached the point where I feel like my head is going to pop trying to figure out what I need, so I come to y'all directly now.
This is in reference to topled lights as those are what Ive been comparing between journals. I see a single plant grown through veg and flowering by a single 48 x 3. I see six plants grown through vegetative using a single 144 x 3, and then those same plants flowered through 3 Mars II 400w's. So from that, I assume a single 144 x 3 would not be enough to flower 6 plants, would it? So if I bought two 144 x 3's, I assume that would work to flower, but I'd have an extra light during my vegetative, would it hurt to just throw both lights on through both processes? I understand it's 25w per sq ft for veg, 35w for flower recco, but does surpassing this become harmful, or just a state of diminishing returns? As for what I want to do personally (this is all subject to change if itd be beneficial) would be 5-8 plants grown in a closet build through scrog method, hoping to yield 2 zips per plant on average to start. Space can vary but something in the range of 2x3 or 2x4 would be pref, if this is possible? I would like to have the same light setup for veg and flower right now, just to keep things as simple as possible, eventually moving to two separate tents, and repurposing the lights I buy now for one of the tents.
So, my theory is a 2 x 4 space with 6 plants under say two 96 x 3 topled's to get me through the whole shibang. That would leave me around 45w per sq ft, well above the min range. How do people feel on this? Please don't hate me for the post btw I really didn't want to I tried my best researching for hours and hours. I'm a horrid decision maker and have to be as informed as possible. If I can get some helpful advice I plan on applying it to my own future grow and journals so i could perhaps help a lad in need of help like me.Sorry for the wall too people say I'm wordy I think they are right! haha

a PlatinumLED P450 out performs a Mars 1200, and draws way less power, and generates way less heat - you get what you pay for with LEDs, all will grow plants, but there is a clear difference between the end results; TopLED are cheap for a reason, just don't ask about the burning cables :peace:

a PlatinumLED P450 out performs a Mars 1200, and draws way less power, and generates way less heat - you get what you pay for with LEDs, all will grow plants, but there is a clear difference between the end results; TopLED are cheap for a reason, just don't ask about the burning cables :peace:

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, all of this talk of topled here and I hadn't seen anything about that. I'm going to do some research on that platinum light, but you think it would serve my wants? Just a little bit more than I wanted to pay and I wanted two lights, but if it would make a huge difference in yield I'd go for it.

Lol I actually think I had just read through that one, you pulled 1.75p off of one right? That sounds insane man, way more than I would be happy with! I took a look at your other grow too, hope the yellow leaves turn around for ya! But it seems to be a common thing for people to scoop up two of these lights, or two of comparable power. I'm worried one will not be enough to get me what i want, and 600 is right up to where I start to get uncomfortable about a single purchase. And thats just for the light I need a tent and basically everything else to get started. Really though I'm tired of doing research I've been lurking for like two years and really just want to jump in, without blowing my wad haha. The addition of the second light is what trips my head, I have no experience to give me an estimation of how the same plant would grow under only one light. Obvi two is pref, but if I could get like 2-3 zones per, albeit with a shorter grow time than your monster under one light I'd be satisfied and make the purchase.

my P450 replaces a 600w HPS easily - I bought the P300 to run a pair of autos to replenish my stock after a holiday and will probbaly use it for veg as it has a bloom or veg only switch on it :peace:

so your answer would be a yes then? i see your journal and you have hps, cfl and led? Thats where I get confused trying to compare to just led.

I started my journal using HPS as the flowering lamp, but I have always veg'd under CFLs - I moved to the P450 after just two weeks flowering under the HPS.

interesting, although anecdotal, the plants that have flowered all their time under the P450 are much bigger then the two original plants that are a few weeks older, and were under the HPS originally.

awesome, apprec the help! I think two p300 at $700+ is just a little too pricey, it is my first set up so i suppose I don' have to have everything I want yet. So unless two p150s would be better than a 450 I think the 450 it is then. This is all so confusing, because for that amount of money I could like two topled 144 x 3w!

Anyway, I'd say you have answered as best as you can, and now it is up to me to make the choice. Most appreciated happy tokin!

do you have a link to a side by side grow between a p450 and a mars 1200? Same strain, same environment, same nutes, everything identical except the lights? I'd love to see just how shitty my Mars 1200 is compared to a Platinum light. If I got 40 gram buds the size of my arm, and 1 gpw off my TopLed light, I would love to see how much that could be improved upon with a Platinum light. :)

awesome, apprec the help! I think two p300 at $700+ is just a little too pricey, it is my first set up so i suppose I don' have to have everything I want yet. So unless two p150s would be better than a 450 I think the 450 it is then. This is all so confusing, because for that amount of money I could like two topled 144 x 3w!

Anyway, I'd say you have answered as best as you can, and now it is up to me to make the choice. Most appreciated happy tokin!

As someone who recently went through the exact same thought process you are currently in, I can say that I originally purchased a cheaper setup, wasn't happy with it and wound up purchasing what I wanted to in the first place. I did this with more than one item in my initial grow setup.

I recently purchased two P300's for a 4x4 tent and am very happy with them. (considered the 450, but wound up going with two lights for coverage) I actually would have saved money if I would have just purchased them in the first place.

Good Luck with your decision!

I'm not doing the searching for you, but if you put in the effort, you'd find a test comparing the two units on controlled variables; and notice that you're the only one saying your light is shitty, so calm down, and just accept that facts are not a personal attack on you or your choice of unit. I'm glad you're happy with it :peace:

well damn ravyn, checked out one of your grows and the topled's seem to serve you more than well! Still like everyone else you have one less powerful light for veg and a way more powerful for flower. Is the only reason you do this because you want to have multiple rooms? So like, lets say if suddenly that became not an option, would you just use the 1200 for veg too? Those plants you have there look mighty mighty fine, and from your little intro you seem to have started from the same position I am in now. Hopefully my road goes in the same direction!

Kazz, Yeah that is something I've been worried about, a lot of time money and effort put into this might as well do it right! I suppose it's best to learn from others mistakes, so maybe I can nail it the first time. Perhaps waiting for two P300's would be ideal. Apprc the input

Ive got a mars II 1200 myself, and I am going to be upgrading to the P450 in January.
The platinum LED lights run cooler, use less electricity, and have a MUCH better spectrum of light. So while my 1200 is running like clockwork, Im replacing it.
The Platinum LEDs really are quite awesome. You can do a direct comparison between mars and platinum if you look up gov's grow.
He did a mars 700 grow, and is now doing the same strain under platinum.
GC's First Indoor Cabinet Grow

Back
Top Bottom