1st grow - G13 for medicinal - closet grow

TimberMist

First let me introduce myself. I am a 40 year old retired disabled veteran in the USA. I served as marine engineer in both the navy and army for over 20 years. I live in a state where cannabis is still unlawful. I have had 4 reconstructive ankle surgeries (2 on each) and that is the least of my problems. I have 3 disc herniations at c4-c5, c5-c6, and c6-c7 with moderate spinal stenosis and spinal oteoarthritis. I suffer daily with moderate pain that also becomes severe shooting pain. In addition, during flareups, the pain can be debilitating. These occur 2-3 times a months and can last 2-4 days each time. My injury causes daily muscle spasms and frequent migraines. I receive regular epidural steroid injections. I have also developed moderate obstructive sleep apnea and have to use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine to keep my airway open at night. I take a great number of pills daily for pain relief, muscle spasms, anti-emetic, anti-depressant, and sleep aid. I frequently lose focus, can't remember things, catch myself zoning out, and sometimes do just plain stupid stuff due to side effects of my medication.

er... I forgot to add I do cervical traction twice a day and use a neuromuscular stimulator daily to help with the muscle spasms.

After leaving military service, I became a recreational stoner. The seedy bud helped immensely as a sleep aid but never provided pain relief. Only once in my life did I have bud that wasn't seedy. I was a teenage academic stoner then but I remember it fondly. :yummy:

Sadly, the one person who has been providing me bud took his own life. So for the last several months, my sleep has been of little quality. As opposed to approaching shady characters hoping to score some relief, I started thinking about growing my own medicine. That was when I found out about the different strains and potential healing possibilities of pain relief as well.

I shared my discoveries with my wife who is a registered nurse and after much research, she has given me the green light for a grow .... and BOY AM I EXCITED!!!! :goof:

... to be continued :peace:

Planning Phase

Please feel free to provide advice and correct my science at any time....

I also want to thank the master growers from this forum and others in giving me ideas.

First and most important, I understand the importance of ecological and chemical balance of the grow process. As a hobby, I set-up and maintain a mixed coral reef in the corner of my family room.

Being prior military, I also believe proper planning and review will (hopefully) lead me to success.

Currently my seeds have been ordered and I am awaiting their arrival before purchasing any further equipment.

The basics...

My grow will be in my bedroom closet, 4x4.5x8 ft, 144 cubic feet, painted flat white.

I was thinking about using a 400w mh/hps system. But after reading a number of grows, I am leaning much more toward a 600w mh/hps with digital ballast.

I already have a 4 ft/121.92 cm 200w compact flourescent from and old freshwater fish tank. I have replaced the bulbs with 6700k daylight bulbs. This light will be used for the first two weeks of seedling growth.

My ventilation will consist of a passive intake through my closet door. As my closet door will be closed and locked with the exception of tending, I plan to put a vent or two in the base of the door. The base of the door will be weather stripped and I will use a labyrinth box placed at the intake to prevent light leakage from the outside. Air flow will come up from the base, around the grow, up into the cool reflector vented via duct to a 424 cfm inline fan/filter combo mounted in the attic.

I will be using a Rubbermaid 70 gal stock tank for my deep soil bed. It is 24 in/60.96 cm high.

my_container.jpg

This is 10.89 cubic feet/308.34 cubic liters. I intend to fill the bottom with about 1 inch/2.54 cm of perlite. The rest of the medium will be Fox Farms 60% Ocean Forest/ 30% Lite Warrior/ 10% perlite.

I will thoroughly water my soil before I sow my seed.

I already have an RO/DI due to the reef aquarium requirements. I have a ph/ec/tds meter as well.

The technique...

I will soak 20 seeds in a cup of distilled water sitting on a heating pad in the dark. After the seeds sink, I will sow them about the depth of an eraser on the end of a pencil and moisten the surface with a little diluted liquid kelp.

This is my planned set up and sow plan.

my_sow_plan_for_20_G13.jpg

As you can see, I have air vents in each corner and a watering tube in the center. I may go 12/12 to force early sexing. However, I would like opinions on this. The surface area is approx. 1 sq yd/ .86 sq m. I will cover the container with clear wrap for the first few days to keep the humidity in.

The chemistry....

My house is a constant 72 F/22 C. With this as my passive intake, using a cool reflector, and my fan rating, I am hoping it will be cool enough in my grow room. Thoughts? The humidity is what it is. If it is too low, I can always use the humidifier on my CPAP during the day and spray mist frequently. I am always home anyway. :smokin:

I have a model 518 LT model irrometer/tensiometer. I will start at 8 cbar and water when it gets to 20cbar.

I will use Neem Oil every 3-4 days and the Liquid Kelp foilar spray until the cannabis 3rd/4th week of flower (4th/5th week if 12/12). Thoughts?

I do not plan to use any nutes for the first month. After that I will remove the plug and measure the soil PH and EC.

I plan to use the Fox Farms Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beestie Bloomz, and Cha Ching for nutes. I will start with 1/4 dose of feeding schedule starting at week 5. I will maintain an EC of less than 1.6 and a PH between 6.3-6.5.

Hopefully, watch it grow :yummy: and wait for harvest... :rollit:

Please give me any advice you may have.

:peace:

Hi TimberMist. I'm so glad you found out the truth about Cannabis and it's medicinal value. It's truly a miracle plant. You are also very blessed to have a wife with a medical background and an open mind. Wow. :peace:

I was wondering why you plan to use Neem Oil on a regular basis. Is that recommended? It seems, to keep your plants growing in as natural a condition as you can, that application of pesticides (even organics) should be limited to an as-needed basis. I would really like to hear what the grow mods suggest.

I hope you have excellent results, and I love the stock tank idea. The only concern I'd have is, in an emergency, you can't really take that thing and move it very easily. With smaller individual pots you can make your plants "disappear" easier, if necessary.

Best wishes.

SG- Thanks... maybe I should just stick with the FF Liquids with a little kelp and molasses for feedings.

Freak- Yeah.... I am rethinking the whole stock tank idea. That is why it is the planning phase. Plus I am still waiting on my seeds. I am not worried about having to hide em quick. They will be in my bedroom closet with a lock on the door. No one comes in our house without my or my wife's say so and we rarely get visitors. Smell will be taken care of with a high rated fan and filter venting to the attic.

I have been reading journals and seeing amazing results with 5 gal buckets. I am leaning more that route which will also reduce the number of plants.

As Boss replied to a legal question I had in another forum, it would be difficult to prove it were for my own personal use if I were ever to be caught. So... I am rethinking the number of seeds to be sown at any given time.

As for the neem oil, I am open to suggestions. I thought I read in Soma's writings that he applies it every 3-4 days and it is the only pest control he uses. As in, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I am open to suggestions, as I know little about this farming? :hmmmm:

I do know I need to put out a no pest strip. I find many references to those who wish they did and find little critters destroying their hard work.

Also, I will not be doing the 12/12 method from seed. Not this time anyway. This seems to be strain specific and that strain being mostly sativa. I mean no disrespect but I have searched and searched most all cannabis associated forums and rarely have I found anything with much success. What I do find is "atmosphere" on nearly every forum pointing to nomercy.nl. I am also not knocking their science, and give credit where credit is due... they ARE Master Growers... however, plants do not dispose of "piss and poo" in the upper levels of soil. Biology 101 teaches us this. I think the watering underneath method encourages greater root growth, hence the need for a deep soil bed. This also increases the ability to take in more nutrients and produce the larger colas with thier sativa strains... but again I know nothing and am still learning.

:smokin:

Medical Goal... I take more than 21 pills a day now due to my spinal injury. I am hoping to cut that in half and also to eliminate the narcotics completely. I would rather live to old age as a stoner than die young of kidney failure/liver disease due to the all the meds I take.

:passitleft:

i love the fact that were on the other side of the whole weed argument for years in the millitary. now you have seen what it can do. that demands respect, u have a truly open mind. g-13 is also my favorite strain.i will def be following this grow start to finish. i am starting a closet up myself and my friend might be able to give me some g-13 clones. i am also getting an aray of other strain all ready to be budded. i am going to take clones first to keep the genetics going and hopefullt breed eventually. good luck

Re: 1st grow - G13 Labs Power Skunk and GHS Train Wreck - closet grow

I was never on the other side of the argument.

Yes, I served 20+ years in the military, but I never had a problem with weed. I was a honor roll stoner before I entered the service and have always thought MJ should be decriminalized. I have always thought marijuana to be far less harmful than alcohol.

Um... I didn't intend to continue this journal as my plan has completely changed. That is of course why it is called the planning phase.

The closet grow is in place and running... pics to come.

I ordered my seeds from Attitude Seeds. Along with the G13 Haze, I also received GHS Train Wreck (fem) and free G13 Labs Power Skunk and Thai Super Skunk. A+ for speed and stealth delivery from Attitude Seeds.

As this is my first grow, I decided to experiment with the free Power Skunk. Now I know why the seeds were free. When I opened the vial, one seed looked decent and the other four were clearly immature. Guess what? Only the one seed germinated. Instead of wasting my time growing just one plant and not knowing the sex I also started the GHS Train Wreck. So far, two have popped the surface, hopefully the other three will soon.

Pics and details to come shortly....

Hey TimberMist, I really feel for ya. I too have had a bad spinal injury. Back in 86, I had a tear in my beer over a lady in my life, and ended sending my harley flying off a levee road at 80 out in California. Well not to get into it to deep I ended up with a spinal fussion. C-6, C-7. I also had a spinal bloodclot that had to be removed. Left me a full quad for 2 years. Also lost a hip to Avascular necrosis. And had to get a replacment. I'm not complaining. They told me to face it wheelchair bound. Well I never was one to accept anything. And I'm well satisfied with my return. I even rebuilt and ride my harley,again. I too am on afew meds. I also have a intrathecal drug pump with constant drip of morphine 24/7. and various breakthru narcotics. As well as many other. Well truth with my spasms and chronic pain, the pain pump I'm so use to it doesn't work anymore. And I'm on about the strongest solution they have. And I don't get near the relief I get from afew good tokes of a bud. But let the pump run out!!!!!! I thought I was going to die from the withdrawels. And this McCain, he kind of scares me. I don't follow the prez race because I lost the right to vote years ago, but that's another topic, but I did see where he says the we have enough legal medications in the States, that we don't really need to decriminalize weed for medicial purposes. I guess it's better to have people hooked 'bad' on morphine that doesn't provide the relief a smiple joint does.
I myself have a small grow going. I went with Lowrider myself. Seeing I have to stay small and fast, since I moved to this state. Missouri has very backward laws about that. Beautiful State tho. Well I wish you the best with your garden. I kind of feel you know where I am coming from. As I feel for you. I kind of wish I was back in the SF Bay Area. Where least you can get away with having something that cuts it for pain. Sounds to me like you have a nice trip going with alot of the info to see it thru. Good Luck and I would bet if you have any questions this site seems like it would help alot. Wow, I spit out all that. Luck Dude and Stay Down.

excellent research man. Look forward to the grow. I agree about the buckets. Some say you should transplant up like 1 GAL to 3 GAL to 5 GAL or something like that. Get your self a good digital pH meter if you don't already have one for the Fish Tank.

Wow nice job dude, im impressed. Sounds like you know what your doing and you will have a great setup! Cant wait to see pics of this closet!

As for the 5 gal buckets, i was planning on using them too =). Was just gonna drill some holes on the bottom to prevent root rot.

Hey Timbermist, how's your grow going??? Hope all is well.

Just thought I'd share a little information on my experience with g13 haze. I'm currently on my 10th week of flowering. I have 5 g13, 2 northern lights and 1 white widow growing under a 400watt hps. All started in 3 gallon buckets and immediately put under 12/12. I'm using ocean forest dirt with light warrior over the top 3 inches.

I must say the 12/12 method works very well. The key is to cause as less stress as possible, especially in the beginning. No repotting, no supercropping or things like that.

Did you end up using the big tub or did you go with the 5 gallon buckets? I really like the idea of feeding from the bottom (the way Atmosphere did). I was a bit sceptical when I first read through his grow, but it's definitely possible to get bats that big using 12/12.

Anyway, I germinated 7 g13 seeds and 5 were female. They showed at around the 25th day. They've been pretty easy to grow. My buds still look a little fluffy at week 10, so I'll probably leave them on there for another couple weeks. Definitely go with the bigger light! I wish I had gone for the 600watt myself but i didn't. I'm sure the difference in bud size is huge. Well I hope your grow is going good my friend. Best of luck to you.

Time for an update

Okay, sorry no G13 Haze yet... but soon :smokin:

This is actually GHS Train Wreck and is really my first grow. The one Power Skunk I had turned out to be male. The G13 Haze will be my second grow.

These two plants have been topped, supercropped, and scrog'd all for the sake of my experimentation.

I used 5 gal pots for these two plants.

My soil is 1 cu.ft. bag Fafard Potting Soil (McDonalds Organic Mix)
4 qts Perlite (1/2 of 8 qt bag)
1 cups pulverized Dolomitic Lime
1/4 cup Espoma Bio Tone Starter Plus
1/8 cup Espomoa Rose Tone

My Nutes are Fox Farms GB, BB, and TB. I also used Shultz Bloom Plus as a substitute for the soluable Fox Farm products. After the 3rd week of veg I started using Blackstrap Molasses at a rate of 1tsp per gal and just recently boosted it to 1TBS per gal.

My ph has been kept between 6.5 and 6.8, with the EC no greater than 1.7.

When I started flower, I used Dutch Master's Reverse w/ Penetrator as directed because of the reported GHS TW hermie tendency.

During veg, I frequently used foliar kelp, fish emulsion, and epsom salts.

My set up is a 600w CMH and HPS conversion with euro cool reflector. I used a Can-Fan 6" high output filter combo .

DSC009782.JPG
DSC009801.JPG
DSC010132.JPG
DSC010123.JPG

Day 36 flower
DSC01001.JPG
DSC009831.JPG
DSC00999.JPG
DSC01002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom