1st grow White Rhino - cfl / hps - help much appreciated

WEEK 7 - DAY 49 12/12

PLANT A

rsz_dsc_0823.jpg

DSC_0828.jpg

rsz_1dsc_0825.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

sorry guys for the eternity i have taken on the update ......but here it is......

really neglected my plants over the christmas period, will try to crop before xmas next time. this resulted in a ph problem for plant b and a cfl burn issue for plant c. the lamp came loose and had been resting on the plant - burning the main kola, which severely stunted its growth, and another side bud (plant c - pic3)

really happy with the kola / bud on plants d and e, the others not so much. i wonder if the lack of the rotation has affected this ?? i feel that my cfl supplementary lighting is not being used to its fullest.

maybe the plant is trying to put the energy into growing the lower popcorn buds ?? i guess that is what i get for not pruning before going 12/12 !! i can only learn !!

added pk 13-14 in the middle of week 5 for 1 week - 1.5ml : 1L

overall i am very happy with the grow, being my first and can't wait to see the final yield. obviously this grow could have gone much better but i felt i have learned a lot for next time and learnt a lot about what is right for my growing space.

questions ???

how do you gauge when to start to flush ?? today is week 7 since going 12/12 and it should be left to 8.5 - 9.5 weeks. does the cycle start from bud formation or when you actually switch to 12/12 ??

so what do you guys think of the ladies ???

i have a 30x pocket microscope to inspect the trichs. what is the best way to do this without damaging the bud as the microscope has to be pressed up against the object to be magnified ??

sorry guys been really busy over the holidays

:peace:A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND BEST WISHES FOR YOUR 2010 GROWS:peace:

will update later this week, today was the end of week 5 12/12

rsz_1dsc_0764.jpg

im guessing another 4 / 5 weeks before harvest .........my birthdays in the 4 weeks so i may have to chop a nug early :)

I bet you will love that Birthday gift. I have had my share of Cfl burn victims also, that kinda happens sometimes, just thik if you had that happen with a hotter light HID it could have been even uglier!

I guess you have the same microscope I do. The only way I have been able to look at my trichomes is by clipping a piece of sugar leaf closest to the bud . I also use my super macro on my camera to focus on an area where there is a massive concentration of trikes.

Hope you had a great time New years eve and wish you a super yield and more for the years to come!

thanks fellas - i just can't wait to finally smoke some bud of my own ( and the man upstairs ). i was thinking of taking a small portion of sugar leaf but will use the macro mode on the camera too. i guess as im only in week 7 then its not really worth checking just yet.

when would guys suggest to start the flushing process ??
when i do start to check the trichs would you guys wait till 50% cloudy or wait until some turn amber ??

cheers guys as always :peace:

Most peeps here advise a flush 2 weeks before harvest. I have also read where some grow all organic and don't see the need for a flush. I guess it depends on the types of fets. that are used.

A flush can be done using Black Mollases too, it supplies the roots with carbs, thus generating mor sticky fatter buds. I beleive its two tbs. per gallon. I hope that helps if not check out the FAQ in this site.

thanks sisco - will probably go for a 10/12 day flush. will look into Black Mollases. seriously can not wait to chop these down :)

A lot of people do not flush at all. In the "how to grow" section of the forums, there is a great article, I think it is by oldmedman, with some extra imput from roseman (who I respect for his great advise and detail filled threads). It talks about flushing (and not flushing)... My advice would be to not flush at least one of them, then you can compare the smoke between the two plants after harvest and see if it is worth all the trouble for yourself. Just my two cents. Or was it one cent. Where is that bong? dammit. Its around here somewhere. CHEERS

I read a post somewhere on here about someone chopping their plants and then putting the stalk in a bucket of water for 2 to 3 days,changing the water daily. they claim it fully flushes the plant so fast because you don't have to flush the soil,I haven't tried this method yet but will on my next harvest as it makes sense to me. I also think it will be easier to harvest at the correct time,a few days sounds easier than trying to time your flush 2wks before harvest. :peace:

today i have noticed that the plants have a lot of seeds in the growing buds, most are sprouting pistils - is this anything to worry about ???

i will post some pics tomorrow :peace:

yesterday was 8 weeks of 12/12 !!

but today i did a silly thing, possibly even dumber than when i dropped the extractor fan on a plant earlier on in the grow - i forgot to ph my feeding solution !!doh!!

this was to be the last feeding before flushing till harvest. luckily i fed 2/5 plants correct ph feed. i checked the run off from the 3 plants that were watered without adjusting the ph and their run offs were 6.9 / 6.7 / 6.5

i soaked up all the run off and watered the 3 with another 1l @ 5.4ph, didn't really want to flush anymore and risk overwatering ( initial watering - 4l each plant )

im guessing that these will be harvested in around 10/12 days - what would you guys recommend ??

should i just continue with the planned flushing ?? i was planning to give them plain water ( with black molasses if i can find it anywhere ! ) 2l every 2/3 days

also do you guys reuse your run off water ??

regarding the seed problem i mentioned in the previous post, it only seems to have affected one plant - is this anything to worry about at this stage ?? can these seeds be used to grow with the same results ( they are contained within the healthiest plant )

dont stress too much about the UN-PHd flush. 6.9 for another week or two, your girls will be just fine!

the way i flush is, flush real good with 3x the water as your pot will hold. then let soil dry( like normal watering) then flush again. actually most people say flush with 3 times the water as your pot size, but i just flush under the faucet until the runoff is completely clear (not light brown or weak tea colored). then i finish by adding 1l of PHd molassas+water... and dont re-use your runoff, the point of flushing is to get all the chemicals, nutes, and other nasties out before harvest, if you re-use you will just be adding all that bad stuff back into your soil. and how did you end up with all those seeds? did your purposely polinate? accidentally polinate? or self polination caused by stress or something else? the health of the plant and the way the seeds were produced will affect the quality of the seeds. if a plant is stressed into a hermie and polinates itself, most likely you will have a bunch of seeds that will grow a bunch of hermies

Firstly a big hello to all as this is my first post :allgood:

decided to finally take the plunge and have a go at a little grow ...

strain - white rhino greenhouse seeds feminized (Afghan, Brazilian and South Indian)

where - 1mx1mx2m progrow tent

soil - soil (organic) van de zwaan house and garden bat special.

nutes bio - canna( rhizotonic / vega / flores ) ....might purchase bio boost but have not decided yet

light 200watt cfl with reflective hood - seedling / veg - 400hps - veg/flower

how long 3 weeks since germination

After germination I placed the jiffy pellets into a propagator. As soon as activity above ground was evident the pots were placed under a 16w 3400k kitchen light on 24/0. Initially the seedlings were 25cm/8" (pic 1) from the light but after looking at a few other threads my seedlings seemed to be growing rather tall. I then moved the seedlings a lot closer to the light -
9cm/3 1/4" (pic 2).

securedownload.jpeg

securedownload.jpeg

Clearly these kitchen floros where under powered and too far away from the seedlings hence the stretching. I purchased a 200watt cfl and moved my seedlings into the tent where they have been for a week. Although growth has been more rapid problems have started to arise :(

garden gnomes are funny

dont stress too much about the UN-PHd flush. 6.9 for another week or two, your girls will be just fine!

the way i flush is, flush real good with 3x the water as your pot will hold. then let soil dry( like normal watering) then flush again. actually most people say flush with 3 times the water as your pot size, but i just flush under the faucet until the runoff is completely clear (not light brown or weak tea colored). then i finish by adding 1l of PHd molassas+water... and dont re-use your runoff, the point of flushing is to get all the chemicals, nutes, and other nasties out before harvest, if you re-use you will just be adding all that bad stuff back into your soil. and how did you end up with all those seeds? did your purposely polinate? accidentally polinate? or self polination caused by stress or something else? the health of the plant and the way the seeds were produced will affect the quality of the seeds. if a plant is stressed into a hermie and polinates itself, most likely you will have a bunch of seeds that will grow a bunch of hermies

firstly rc just wanted to say that your trimmed WW nuggs look amazing dude - hope my rhino looks like that when done

i think it was self pollination as it was not on purpose and there are no males around. maybe i stressed it out when i started trimming and pruning after going 12/12. haven't seen any male parts on the plant yet just seeds in the bud.

about reusing the run off water - i actually meant earlier on in the grow

i thought 6.9 would be quite high as my feed is around 5.9 - which keeps the run off at 6.0 to 6.2 ..........does it differ when just using water to flush ??

cheers dude

Back
Top Bottom