2nd Soil Grow: White Widow x Creeper Cross 600 Watt

The blueberry plants were clones from a strain popular in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't think they were DJ Shorts because they didn't hermi. They were only in 3 gallon pots, but at the end of flowering reached about 3 feet. If I didn't have the thrip problem and had them in large pots they could have maxed out at 4 feet. I thought it was a great strain to grow indoors. After my bug problem I decided I would only grow from seed to avoid outside contamination.

Picture Update Plant B 10 Days into Flower (2 days from last pictures):

3-10-2011_1_.JPG

3-10-2011_3_.JPG

I can't decide if I should use the T8 bulbs or some CFLs to supplement vertical lighting. Right now the buds toward the bottom are still the same size as the ones of top so they are getting enough light. I wonder how much the girls would grow if I did supplment...It is only a 4x4x7 tent so not much room in there.

Go to Walmart, Dunhams or any place that has camping supplies and buy some emergency blankets for a $1.99 or so and put them on all the walls.

It's mylar and they come in folded packs that when opened they are 57 inches wide and about 7 ft long, 95%+ reflective and will make a huge difference for the lower buds and much cheaper then a grow store.

Go to Walmart, Dunhams or any place that has camping supplies and buy some emergency blankets for a $1.99 or so and put them on all the walls.

It's mylar and they come in folded packs that when opened they are 57 inches wide and about 7 ft long, 95%+ reflective and will make a huge difference for the lower buds and much cheaper then a grow store.

Ahhhh! I love inexpensive work-arounds and substitutes. Thanks for the tip. I have a small closet I want to cover the walls - this solution will work well. For some larger surfaces I am covering I just paid through the nose for some panda poly. Seemed a bit expensive for plastic. Oh well.

:Thankyou:
:peace:

Hey Stebs...thanks for stopping by my grow. I hope you stick around.

Just FYI...emergency blankets do not reflect light very well. In fact the ones I bought from Wal-Mart are almost transparent. Also, the folds in ER blankets distort the light which may cause burning. Panda Poly can be found very cheap on eBay and I would definately recommend that over ER blankets any day. Some things you don't skimp on are soil, light, and environment. (JMTC)

The lining of my tent reflects light perfectly so that is not an issue. When plants are as big as mine in a tent for higher yeilds most people add vertical supplement lighting....which is what I am debating. I have seen people get a pound using supplemental vertical light.

Hey Stebs...thanks for stopping by my grow. I hope you stick around.

Just FYI...emergency blankets do not reflect light very well. In fact the ones I bought from Wal-Mart are almost transparent. Also, the folds in ER blankets distort the light which may cause burning. Panda Poly can be found very cheap on eBay and I would definately recommend that over ER blankets any day. Some things you don't skimp on are soil, light, and environment. (JMTC)

The lining of my tent reflects light perfectly so that is not an issue. When plants are as big as mine in a tent for higher yeilds most people add vertical supplement lighting....which is what I am debating. I have seen people get a pound using supplemental vertical light.

What exactly do mean by "supplemental vertical light"? Just curious. I have two Secret Jardin tents and I think some plants could benefit with more light.

Supplemental light is any additional light added to your main light source. So in my case I have a 600 watt on the top of my canopy that is horizontal. Many professional grower's don't utilize horizontal lights because the light penetration can't reach the bottom of large healthy plants. They instead utilize multiple cool tubes in the vertical position. These growers are able to easily get a pound or more from each indoor plant.

For example:

xPx
PxP
xPx

x=vertical cool tube
P= plant

Since I am using a 4x4x7 tent I can't safely use a 1000 watt light in it (fire & heat hazard). Instead I must either be happy with the 600 watt horizontal position or add supplemental lighting in the vertical position so that the entire plant has plenty of light.

Here are some pictures of grower's vertical set up:

DSCN7354.jpg

DSCN7351.jpg

Here is a link (with pictures) to a post on this site:

Grow Light Position: Horizontal or Vertical?

If you want more information pm and I will send you a link to a grow journal that has some awesome pictures.

I think if you have enough CFLS like in a DIY ballast then yes it would help...any supplemental light in my opinion will help. My main concern is that my plants will grow even more outgrowing my tent if I add any more light.

I think if you have enough CFLS like in a DIY ballast then yes it would help...any supplemental light in my opinion will help. My main concern is that my plants will grow even more outgrowing my tent if I add any more light.

How many plants do you usually go with in your 4x4 space?

:welcome: and :thanks: racoon1 I hope you stick around!

Well my first grow I started with 12 and quickly found out you can't have more than 9 in there. This grow I am only using 2 and it seems that they are growing quicker & are much healthier. I think for furture grows I will stick with just 2 large plants per tent because I am anticipating more ounces this method.

I also added fluorescent lights today and switched to 600 watt HPS bulb. The florescents are 4 T8 bulbs 32 Watt mixed spectrum (2 5000K, 2 6500K) for a total of 11,000 extra lumens. I have both light systems higher than normal due to the switch. I will lower them once I know it won't stress my babies. I should add that I only paid $70 for the fluorescent fixture with bulbs at Lowes. :wood:

Here are the pictures 12th Day Flower (keep in mind plant B is sideways & on right):

3-12-2011_3_.JPG

3-12-2011_2_.JPG

:welcome: and :thanks: racoon1 I hope you stick around!

Well my first grow I started with 12 and quickly found out you can't have more than 9 in there. This grow I am only using 2 and it seems that they are growing quicker & are much healthier. I think for furture grows I will stick with just 2 large plants per tent because I am anticipating more ounces this method.

I also added fluorescent lights today and switched to 600 watt HPS bulb. The florescents are 4 T8 bulbs 32 Watt mixed spectrum (2 5000K, 2 6500K) for a total of 11,000 extra lumens. I have both light systems higher than normal due to the switch. I will lower them once I know it won't stress my babies. I should add that I only paid $70 for the fluorescent fixture with bulbs at Lowes. :wood:

Here are the pictures 12th Day Flower (keep in mind plant B is sideways & on right):

3-12-2011_3_.JPG

3-12-2011_2_.JPG

Thanks - I have a 4x8x7 tent and I think 18 is probably a good number - depending on the strain.

I love the setup - nice, clean and efficient. What is that white thing in front of the base of the fan? The fan in the bucket is your diy humidifer?

Very nice!

:thanks:

LOL Yes, that is my DIY humidifier that works beautifully. It is a candle base you see in front of the bucket. I have it zip tied to the base of the fan so it doesn't drop into the water inthe bucket. I find the candle base makes it very easy to remove the fan to check & refill water levels. Other people will just zip tie the fan itself to the bucket.

I read a lot of grow journals from multiple sites and what I have learned is that fewer the number of plants the better (unless you are doing a scrog or low riders). I am sure by the end of flower my tent will be completely full. ;)

LOL Yes, that is my DIY humidifier that works beautifully. It is a candle base you see in front of the bucket. I have it zip tied to the base of the fan so it doesn't drop into the water inthe bucket. I find the candle base makes it very easy to remove the fan to check & refill water levels. Other people will just zip tie the fan itself to the bucket.

I read a lot of grow journals from multiple sites and what I have learned is that fewer the number of plants the better (unless you are doing a scrog or low riders). I am sure by the end of flower my tent will be completely full. ;)

Jorge Cervantes book suggests that 16-32 plants/m2 is the ideal number and I would not imagine putting 64 plants in my tent. Yikes! Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

:goodluck:

Looks great. Im a new grower and have a question. I noticed that your light has an intake for air with the fan and ducting on the left side and on the right side is that just a hole for air to pass through? if it is how do you blow air out of the room?

Hi Racoon1,

I have an air cooled hood. The left side is connected to my fan which pulls air out of the tent to an exhaust outside of my home. This setup allows for best cooling for my light. The right side does have a hole which is normally connected to a carbon filter. You could also add another light through the right hole if you had a bigger grow space. Right now I have cheesecloth covering the entire hole to filter dirt from entering my fan. I also have a small fish tank charcoal filter covering half of the hole. I found that my 6 inch fan was pulling too much air out of my tent without the carbon filter attached so I reduced it by half with the charcoal filter. The carbon filter I used last grow did not work very well so this grow I am testing the smell difference. This is only my second grow, but I have been gardening for years & have a natural green thumb. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit: I use a passive intake system. I am not using any intake fans just the vents at the bottom of my tent. Last grow I used an intake fan and had higher temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom