300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

:wood: Hello SS. wondering if u might be able to help me with some of your knowledge! :)

topic is wet Hay/ fresh tomato smell. how do we get this and what do we need to do to not get it? im just really baffled as to why i am getting this smell. my MF had it. i took a small nug from my kali mist to have as a taster and the same this wet hay/tomato smell. KM is nearly nearly done. and i really dont want this happening to all my kali.
can u help any?
can it be low humidity during the drying?
can it be low himidity during flower, plants life?
can it be innature bud?

:thanks::grinjoint:

you will never get a straight answer trust me ive spent many many hours searching what causes it and you will get 50 different answers. ive tried all different ways on drying my buds to prevent this and still got it. even let the buds get done dry, cured for a long time everything. now i know wet weed will cause this, but its not the only way you get that smell. i was getting this smell every harvest for a long time back in the day, i tried everything on harvesting and drying and curing.! I will tell you one thing i changed my nutes and never got that smell again. it could also happen if u pull ur buds too early. i can promise u one thing not only one thing dose it, a few things that i know of will do it.

curing will help a great deal.

do this, smell ur weed in the jars and it will have that smell, break it open and it should smell like dank, put it in a plastic bag and it should reek like dank. because u are destroying ur THC. if you cured them for a little bit and they still have that hay smell after they all dry and cured you wont get rid of that smell ever.

drying too fast will also give you this smell because Chloraphil or how ever u spell it.lol. dose not have time to get out.

like i said in my time ive noticed allot of things will give this to you.

for me it all stopped when i stopped using certain nutes.

staffy said:
Hello SS. wondering if u might be able to help me with some of your knowledge!

topic is wet Hay/ fresh tomato smell. how do we get this and what do we need to do to not get it? im just really baffled as to why i am getting this smell. my MF had it. i took a small nug from my kali mist to have as a taster and the same this wet hay/tomato smell. KM is nearly nearly done. and i really dont want this happening to all my kali.
can u help any?
can it be low humidity during the drying?
can it be low himidity during flower, plants life?
can it be innature bud?

Ill take a stab at this one. It is the Chlorophyll that you are smelling. As the Chlorophyll breaks down and turns into sugars it tends to decrease a little bit.

At least that is what my professor said!

thanks for the responses guys. so how do i make sure all the Chlorophyll gets out at a reasonable rate? not even sure if this is right ? will keepin humidity up around 50% help this?

thanks for the responses guys. so how do i make sure all the Chlorophyll gets out at a reasonable rate? not even sure if this is right ? will keepin humidity up around 50% help this?

keep temps down and RH% not too low so the buds dont dry too fast. i think 40% is max i like to make sure mold is in check.

keep temps down and RH% not too low so the buds dont dry too fast. i think 40% is max i like to make sure mold is in check.

ok thanks. ya we dont want mold!! ill keep her around 40% then. and lets see, lol.
do u think drying in a closet would be better than building a cardboard box for drying?

Sorry for using you thread SS, but thanks :)

ok thanks. ya we dont want mold!! ill keep her around 40% then. and lets see, lol.
do u think drying in a closet would be better than building a cardboard box for drying?

closet with plenty of moving air but not blowing on the buds. ive never used a box so i cant say, hanging them with good air flow works great for me

I'm 100% behind comparing just those two bulbs start to finish, I think we can learn a lot with stable clones and scientific standards. Your able to pretty much isolate the bulbs as the only variance which means everything else we see is a byproduct of the different bulbs.

People have different ideas on what "scientific standards" are, but I think we can learn from these grows I'm doing.

It's a lot easier to do when comparing similar technologies, like CMH and HPS.

Also in regards to the uv comment, I too felt the danger of using CMH lighting. The first day I had it I worked too long under it (only 10 min or so) and got a slight Reaction in my eyes. Since that day I have been much more careful to have my glasses.

Good habits aren't easy like bad habits :).

Keep in mind some CMH bulbs have a built in uv coating that filters out uv, while some bulbs do not. I can't remember how to identify which is which, but it's good to know

Ceramic Metal Halide Fact Page ~ Advanced Technology Solutions, LLC

I'm using the 250w Philips CMH bulb, which is apparently rated for open fixtures, meaning safe to use without safety glass, but doesn't seem to filter out the UV.

I used the 250w horizontal version of this bulb quite a while back, and it was the one that gave me the sunburn, so the spectrum was there.

Do we have any sort of a t minus for launch?

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8084.JPG

It's up to the ladies.

Rushing them when they're putting their makeup on is best avoided ;).

They've got about 4-5 weeks to go, and then I'm building a new grow room that will have room for a third DR80 tent.

Haha very excited

me too!

it looks like I may be running one of GLH's brand new line of LED panels in the third tent. Not in direct competition with the vertical grows, but just to see what it can do.

Haven't decided whether to run one of their new 240w panels or the 395w.

It's going to be a very cool first grow in my new room ;).

that would be cool to see that new light in the tent. it would be even cooler to see it side x side with the old one. if ur only going one light i think the 300w would be cool, not like its a test since ur going vert. if u weren't going vert then the 180w would probably be best IMO. but since you already said the old 300w was a perfect match with ur tent thinking that might be the way to go.. But then again it would be really cool to see how the 180w dose.lol.. i think if mine dose good i am going to trade out my 300's for 4 180's and rock out my 4x4 tray. run a 1000w of leds.

all i know is i would love to see a side x side with the old unit and the new one to see how each one stacks up? I have a hard time with change, specially since ive been so happy with the old models, but i have to try out new tech and these lights are allot different then the old ones. i still kept my 300w's to the old ones just in case. i will always wonder though until i can see a side x side.

I'm just glad that I get to start over with my first pair of GLH lights, and start rocking my grows.

If the 395's are anything like the new 180 that Irish Boy got, it might even be overkill for my 3' x 5' tent :smokin:

no need to apologize bro, drying and curing is always topical and you got excellent advice from Irish and Velo ;)

Lots of us will be watching this one SS, I think it's a great concept. Good luck!

thanks BD, I'm pretty excited about both the new room and the grow ;)

Bust out the big dog, SS! Lets see what the 395 can do. Is that his strongest light?

There was a 600w panel in the older line, but I don't know if it was continued in the new line.

I'm thinking of running just two big plants in the LED tent, so either the 240w or 395w would be fun to run.

that would be cool to see that new light in the tent. it would be even cooler to see it side x side with the old one. if ur only going one light i think the 300w would be cool, not like its a test since ur going vert. if u weren't going vert then the 180w would probably be best IMO. but since you already said the old 300w was a perfect match with ur tent thinking that might be the way to go.. But then again it would be really cool to see how the 180w dose.lol.. i think if mine dose good i am going to trade out my 300's for 4 180's and rock out my 4x4 tray. run a 1000w of leds.

all i know is i would love to see a side x side with the old unit and the new one to see how each one stacks up? I have a hard time with change, specially since ive been so happy with the old models, but i have to try out new tech and these lights are allot different then the old ones. i still kept my 300w's to the old ones just in case. i will always wonder though until i can see a side x side.

I know, my head is spinning with possibilities, but a side-by-side with the new panel and the old panel is something I would love to see also.

It's on the short list, but I don't like thinking that far into the future, cause today requires most of my attention ;).

....whhhaaatt? New line?

Glh has a new line...? Woot woot haha.

yup yup, see Irish's thread for lotsa pics.

I'm just glad that I get to start over with my first pair of GLH lights, and start rocking my grows.

If the 395's are anything like the new 180 that Irish Boy got, it might even be overkill for my 3' x 5' tent :smokin:

it's going to be very bright in there ;)

I think the 395 for a DR80 would be overkill.

But, I got great results with a dual arc 1000 over 2 plants in a GL80L(double wide version of the DR80). The guys at the local grow shop discussed having me fitted for a straight-jacket. However with a 440cfm fan that sucked in the sides I was able to barley control temps.

I guess what I am saying is there doesn't seem to be such a thing as too much light during the flower stage. Go with the 395 for the LED tent.

Great quality bud.
Embarrassing g/w ratio on the above test.
Some of the frostiest indoor I've ever grown.
Significantly stronger than the HPS version under the same conditions, so I hope you can show us how to increase the yield on a CMH.

Whatever you decide, I'll be watching with interest, as will many others, i"m sure.

:popcorn:

I think the 395 for a DR80 would be overkill.

I didn't think the 360 was overkill on this grow. The only issue is headroom, because these are intense LED lights and need adequate distance to canopy, but since I like to grow shorter plants, that wasn't a problem.

The 240 would provide more headroom, but less penetration, so more headroom really isn't an advantage there.

Heat was very manageable with the 360.

I think the 360 was a great fit for the DR80, and can't imagine that the 395 would provide toxic levels of light.

But, I got great results with a dual arc 1000 over 2 plants in a GL80L(double wide version of the DR80). The guys at the local grow shop discussed having me fitted for a straight-jacket. However with a 440cfm fan that sucked in the sides I was able to barley control temps.

I guess what I am saying is there doesn't seem to be such a thing as too much light during the flower stage. Go with the 395 for the LED tent.

Toxic levels of light with normal temps happens. I did it in my small cab with a 150w HPS bare vertical bulb. The plants wilted and withered at 72 degrees from the intense direct light.

The cab just wasn't big enough to get adequate clearance, but I think with the experience I've gained on these past LED grows, I can run the 395 without stressing my plants.

The problem with the DR80's is that you really have to know your light's limits and plan ahead as far as headroom, or you're gonna be a supercroppin' fool ;)

shorter veg times and/or LST helps a lot

Just want to let peeps know that I'm taking a break from the forum for a while.

I need to focus on some other things, and then once my new room is ready, I'll be back.

I probably won't be checking PM's very often, so if I don't get back to you, that's why.

Hope to find ya'll been keepin' green on my return ;)

regards,

Setting Sun

Back
Top Bottom