300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Solar is a nice name for a plant, no wonder she did you right

We ran out of room in our closet and she was planted outside next to an antique solar unit in our yard...:tokin: Her first clone was Solar Girl, who begat Sunni, who begat Sassy..

Just got back from the holidays, hope yours went well.
I switched to dual-arc bulbs from HPS on my last grow.
The yield went down a little, but the quality and crystals improved significantly. On this run I am using a Hortilux Blue for the first 3 weeks of 12/12 and then finishing under the Dual-Arcs.
The addition of the blue spectrum works magic.
Great grow!
Can't wait for the next one.
I expect the CMH to blow away the HPS on quality.
I will be very interested in the yield comparison.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
:goodjob:

Thanks ss. I might be getting that spectra 300 soon, considering keeping my CMH going for a scrogg setup with hempy and oc+. Coco as well. Then under the led I would have my 6 plant rainforest 66, not full though. I need to give hydro another try as my first experience failed horribly.

My biggest problem is the crap load of ionic nuts that iv got left.

The bottle says soil/coco and coco is something almos like hydro, being inert and just suspending eater, so hopefully these nuts will work for my hydro setup.

you know, that rainforest 66 system has always looked good to me for a tent grow.

coco doesn't provide nutes, so those ionic nutes must be complete or they wouldn't work very well. Maybe you can google something up?

Yeah coco being inert should mean any nute designed for use in coco should work with other hydro systems, though I may be wrong.

I agree the rainforest 66 is a pretty good size for a 3x3 space/tent, though if you fill it up your looking at overcrowding very fast.

9leaf I ran my watt meter on my s51 type htg ballast running a 400 CMH and after things leveled out it settled to 478. So you were closer than I was by 4 watts, but having gone over, jeprody rules, I lose doubly.

If I can find a way to upload pics from an iPad, then can get some photos for you.

LOL, even though I know you are joking. I would never discount or diminish any tests you've done. I was just merely speaking from a, somewhat, scientific stand point of, X + Y = Z. Meaning light(X), no matter what the source may be, LED or HID or CFL, are known to have certain nanometer(Y) ranges. If those ranges are present, growth(Z) will occur. Testing different LED brands against each other make sense to test those individual panels outputs. I agree that actinic testing would not be of interest when testing other variables such as soil or other light sources, it must be the only variable being tested. Thanks for the response!

Thanks! Just some random thoughts on my mind about growing indoors. :thumb:

I was very much joking, so I'm glad you took it in the spirit intended ;).

I agree with what you say above, but would like to elaborate a little.

Let's take the vertical CMH vs HPS comparison I'm planning. We all know that both bulbs will take plants to harvest just fine, so that's not the question, but once you have the basic framework for success, it becomes an issue of refinement.

Since HID lighting provides the ability to change the spectrum, and good HPS and CMH bulbs aren't prohibitively expensive, it's a good way to exploit this benefit that HID technology provides.

I get a sense that there are a lot of people who would like to see, and who might benefit from, the results of a CMH / HPS side-by-side, and I like to do grows that will both answer questions I have, and hopefully be a question that lots of other peeps have also.

8 years is a very long-running medicine grow tent. Looking back at successful years of steady harvests?
Who would care about $1000 cost of light, but...

My credit didn't need the crunch to suck. Out of pocket cash rule$
Remote ballast takes AC out of most CMH heat, bare vert avoids the hoods' heat = a push w/ LED.

Comparable results for far less OOPs? Shoe's on the other foot, LEDs grow great weed.
I settle :tokin:

from the looks of your current and past colas, you're not settling too much ;)

We ran out of room in our closet and she was planted outside next to an antique solar unit in our yard...:tokin: Her first clone was Solar Girl, who begat Sunni, who begat Sassy..

;) ;) ;)

IMG_8041.JPG

this is Charlie Brown. She's six weeks old and 5" tall.

culling is not my forte, lol

I get a sense that there are a lot of people who would like to see, and who might benefit from, the results of a CMH / HPS side-by-side, and I like to do grows that will both answer questions I have, and hopefully be a question that lots of other peeps have also.
I can almost taste it and it tastes like more, please! :yummy:
When your journeyman 400 HPS held it's own (more or less) against the best high-tech lighting device we've seen, I began to wonder about the white light that I favor :hmmmm:

250s, DR80s: Bantams in their bags
You're gonna love bare vertin' these bulbs, Bubba
Prolly both bumper boxes of buds

from the looks of your current and past colas, you're not settling too much
Settle on in like Gator in a mud hole, happy but lookin'.
Where's that pretty waitress with the nice buds? She'll have my cola :)

Just got back from the holidays, hope yours went well.
I switched to dual-arc bulbs from HPS on my last grow.
The yield went down a little, but the quality and crystals improved significantly. On this run I am using a Hortilux Blue for the first 3 weeks of 12/12 and then finishing under the Dual-Arcs.
The addition of the blue spectrum works magic.
Great grow!
Can't wait for the next one.
I expect the CMH to blow away the HPS on quality.
I will be very interested in the yield comparison.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
:goodjob:

Mine went very well, thanks! We went out of town also for a couple of days and had a good time, and lots of good food ;).

I've been curious about the dual-arc bulbs, and wondering why more people aren't using them. Thanks for the feedback and your experience with them so far.

I'm very satisfied with the results from this grow, from both tents, and the PPP is curing up really nicely. I should probably have waited longer to do the smoke report, but it seemed like things were dragging along.

I haven't finished a grow with CMH yet, so I haven't seen CMH-grown buds, but I'm very stoked about doing the grow.

thanks again!

SS i had a thought about your idea of using both soil and hempy in each vertical grow so as to compare both vert vs horizontal and soil vs hempy, i think one thing that may hurt the comparison could be canopy height. In the vertical it should not really matter as the plants can grow up at will and still get mostly the same light. But in the horizontal cab if the hempy buckets take off(or visa versa) you might have to raise the light to prevent the rapid grower from burning while moving the light further from the other plants.

of coarse get a couple buckets and some various books and you can just raise the others back up. eh should be fine.

doesnt show whats plugged in, but its my HTG (cheapo) magnetic ballast running my 400w cmh. Hard to read but it says 478.3

Who does everyone use for their image hosting? i was going to upload to the gallery here, but the file size is kinda small, and i prefer the ability to zoom

I'm planning to run bare vertical bulbs in both tents first, and then if the results are good, I plan to do a second grow with my preferred bulb in both bare vertical and horizontal hood.

That way, I'll figure out which bulb I like best, and then with that bulb in both tents, the differences between vertical and horizontal.

so your concern is very valid and appreciated for the second grow, but I think I should be OK for the first grow with both tents vertical.

good watching out, however, and I appreciate it ;)

SS here is a CMH bud for you. The image had to be resized, before you could zoom in on the trichs to an extent. oh well free hosting :)

DSCF9011.jpg

hoping to finish soon

SS here is a CMH bud for you. The image had to be resized, before you could zoom in on the trichs to an extent. oh well free hosting :)

DSCF9011.jpg

hoping to finish soon

Absolutely gorgeous. +rep

Here's my pre-flip LST method:

I do this an hour or two after watering my plants as this makes the stem more flexible and reduces the risk of accidentally snapping it. I was not going to LST this plant, so I didn't transplant it off-center in the pot, but I do when I don't space out on it, because then the plant stays centered better when you bend it over.

P1010899.JPG

Above are the tools and below is our lovely and willing volunteer ;).

P1010900.JPG
P1010902.JPG

P1010907.JPG

This is the first tie, sometimes called the counter-tie because it counters and balances the stress you are going to create with the second tie. This tie always needs to be done first to ensure that the roots don't get ripped out of the medium. This first tie will not usually require any adjustments, so I tie a very secure knot at both the stem and the binder clip. You don't want slack or excess tension on this first tie. Plant should still look the same when you're done tying it.

P1010912.JPG

Now, we'll do the second tie. Cut a longer piece of tape and gently tie it to the top of the plant. I like to tie it maybe 3-4" down from the tip of the plant, where the stem is strong enough to resist the tension without breaking. The knot should be secure, but not so tight that it's squeezing the stem.

P1010928.JPG

The second binder clip goes on the opposite side of the container.

P1010917.JPG

P1010919.JPG

P1010927.JPG

P1010928.JPG

P1010914.JPG

P1010924.JPG

On the second tie, I don't tie a knot on the binder clip because I sometimes have to pull the main cola down more as it grows, so I just use the clip to secure the tape against the side of the container. When I bend the plant over, I'm feeling for how much tension and stress I'm putting on the stem so I don't snap it. Unless the stem is really flexible, I don't bend them all the way over at once, but rather make 2-3 adjustments over a couple days.

Once the plant recovers and starts to produce new shoots and bush out, which takes from 2-4 days or so, I flip them to 12/12.

Any other tops that start growing taller than you want the canopy should also get the same treatment with additional ties, but most of the time, my experience has been that if you keep the main cola down, the plants distribute their energy fairly evenly among all the rest of the tops and the canopy levels itself pretty well.

dat's it ;)

Hey SS, my question is about after you flipm, do you just leave them tied down? Or do you untie them after a while? This has caught my eye as I think it wil be very helpfull in my application. 420 mag is awesome along with all of the green room vets helping newbs like I! :tokin:

As my grow comes to an end I sit staring at my buds wondering what could have been if I used the HPS bulb that's been sitting on my desk.

I am really looking forward to your next comparison grow. There's no one else I'd rather see do it. :thumb:

:peace:

same with me marly, i mean maybe it would be best to veg with cmh, flower for first 2 weeks with cmh, then flip hps for 4 weeks, then finish under cmh. Something to that extent maybe.

ideally i think a 400w cmh along side a 400w hps (or 600) would be pretty tops for smallish grows. rotating the plants or the lights for best variety.

so many questions, so much conjecture, so few like ss.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

With your photography skills Sun, we will see EXACTLY what CMH can do vs. HPS... I can see the sparkling trichomes now... ;)

Time to break out the 4 cubic foot bag of :popcorn:

The biggest variable for me with vertical grows has been where to hang the bulb in relation to the plants - how far down from the top is optimum?

In the past I've converted a mover to raise and lower the bulb vertically, but I think as long as the top buds get some light, they'll do fine, and it's certainly more efficient to hang the bulb well below the tops of the plants.

I can't wait to see how you address this issue!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

With your photography skills Sun, we will see EXACTLY what CMH can do vs. HPS... I can see the sparkling trichomes now... ;)

Time to break out the 4 cubic foot bag of :popcorn:

The biggest variable for me with vertical grows has been where to hang the bulb in relation to the plants - how far down from the top is optimum?

In the past I've converted a mover to raise and lower the bulb vertically, but I think as long as the top buds get some light, they'll do fine, and it's certainly more efficient to hang the bulb well below the tops of the plants.

I can't wait to see how you address this issue!

very smart!:bravo:

Back
Top Bottom