A Sad Sad Grow Journal

Looks like a calcium issue to me. I'm dealing with it all over my plant
420-magazine-mobile2135160942.jpg

Supplement with CalMag. I believe its too late for me.

My first grow bagseed cfl mini box

Shouldn't be a cal mag issue. ProMix veg and herb is loaded with limestone and gypsum. Lots of cal mag there.
Looks like advanced leaf septoria which is a fungus. But it could also be root gnats. How often do you water?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Ok, I'm having a problem. Any diagnosis? Is this a CalMag issue? How do I treat? I'm growing in ProMix and haven't been giving nutes.
20170328_191243.jpg
20170328_191227.jpg

Questions
1) are you in flower. How long have you been in flower?
2) how wet is your soil. Do you have a moisture meter?
3) did you do a ph run off test? This is the first step to diagnosing any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I wait until I see the leaves drooping. It's my 3 of my 4week old autos that​ are having issues. I haven't watered them since the 17th.

It is pretty humid in there (65%). I just changed grow bags on the larger ones because they​ were degrading and starting to show signs of mold. I also saw a single possible gnat about a week ago but haven't been able to find another. What do I do?

Sent telepathically from my Febreze air freshener

If it's gnats you'll need some hydrogen peroxide and some Diatomaceous Earth and sticky traps. If it's mould it may be growing deep in the soil. A moisture probe will check this but if you're waiting for the droop before watering you should be ok.
First. Remove those leaves in case it's spores. Do it carefully. Spores spread when wet.
If you can get a soil test kit you'll be able to rule out Phosphorus deficiency. But honestly there should be enough. If your in or approaching flower pour a handful of Earth worm castings on the soil for a top dress. This will be good for you plant during flower.
If you saw one gnat there could be hundreds. They are bastards.
You can use peroxide or mosquito dunk.
1 cup peroxide to half a cup water. Mix together. Pour around the outside edge.

But first....remove those funky leaves (carefully) and get them out of the house. Try and lower humidity and most importantly do a run off test your next watering.
That should be done asap.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Questions
1) are you in flower. How long have you been in flower?
2) how wet is your soil. Do you have a moisture meter?
3) did you do a ph run off test? This is the first step to diagnosing any problem.

1) Not in flower. Only 4 weeks old.
2) soil is dry
3). Ill check runoff next time I water, which should be soon.

I was going to put the babies in new grow bags tomorrow (5G) so I'll have a look at the roots

Sent telepathically from my Febreze air freshener

Ps. Stop using Grow bags. They cause more problems than they solve.

Ok murraydog. When I seen the pots I really didn't pay attention to the material. JimmyJames905.... I hear what you are saying. I swear buy the Grass Roots cloth pots etc.... "murraydog" I will ship you a couple 2 gallon ones as they are really cheap here. Other than having to water more often because they dry out faster, I have never had a problem with them. They prevent the plant from becoming root bound etc. They are far better then your run of the mill plastic pots. Now if there is an awesome plastic smart type pot out there, I do not know of one because I now swear by these pots I have but I am open to suggestions if if anyone know of some.
I will mail them out tomorrow consider it an early and bonus Birthday Present from the two of us.

420-magazine-mobile808691373.jpg
these are the pots I'm familiar with. Black dye leaches into the water. The fabric seems to harbour mold. Roots poking out into open air/light-> not good. Impossible to transplant without damaging the roots once they've poked through. I've been using regular planters for 20 years. Pick your pot according to your Grow length. On a 3 month start to finish finish grow (1 month veg 2 months flower) I use a regular 3 gallon planter (9" pot). I can fit 10-12 in a 2x4 tent for a sea of green ready to harvest in 3 months.
Just don't like the dye and the mold really. I know there's "organic" fabric pots out there but my theory is...any fabric is a breeding ground for spores/fungus. Too porous.

420-magazine-mobile808691373.jpg
these are the pots I'm familiar with. Black dye leaches into the water. The fabric seems to harbour mold. Roots poking out into open air/light-> not good. Impossible to transplant without damaging the roots once they've poked through. I've been using regular planters for 20 years. Pick your pot according to your Grow length. On a 3 month start to finish finish grow (1 month veg 2 months flower) I use a regular 3 gallon planter (9" pot). I can fit 10-12 in a 2x4 tent for a sea of green ready to harvest in 3 months.
Just don't like the dye and the mold really. I know there's "organic" fabric pots out there but my theory is...any fabric is a breeding ground for spores/fungus. Too porous.

There are good & bad grow bags. Cheap grow bags suck, the more expensive, heavy felt bags are quite decent. Like plastic pots, they have to be washed between uses. As for spores or fungus, run a clean shop & that's never an issue. And use the larger bags only, to re-pot for flowering. That said, for home growing I prefer square plastic pots myself.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

There are good & bad grow bags. Cheap grow bags suck, the more expensive, heavy felt bags are quite decent. Like plastic pots, they have to be washed between uses. As for spores or fungus, run a clean shop & that's never an issue. And use the larger bags only, to re-pot for flowering. That said, for home growing I prefer square plastic pots myself.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I like the square pots too. More space efficient.

March 30: DAY 103 (photos), DAY 30 (autos)

I purchased some high quality landscape fabric (made in Canada) that is like felt that I made into 5G grow bags, My previous grow bags were simply cotton canvas, and they degraded immediately. They were also showing signs of mold. Although I've been warned by JimmyJames who has priceless advice, I'm going to give these a try. (If I was make them again, I'd make them square). You can see them in the pics:
mar_30-3.jpg
mar_30-1.jpg
mar_30-2.jpg

All plants are now in the 5G bags. The roots on the autos seemed healthy and I didn't see any gnats. I was originally going to grow the autos only in the 3G but the roots were already touching the bottom of the bag. I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage when I transplanted them. I forgot that one of the autos is AK-47 while the the other three are Northern Lights and were in different bags. (instead of labelled). Now I'm hoping I'll be able to differentiate between them as they grow.

I want some air circulation under the bags (to help prevent mold) so I got some plant trays on small wheels and drilled some big holes through the trays. It also makes it easier for me to clean the floor in the tent.

I also lowered my LED light and put one of my CFL fixtures back into the tent to cover a plant outside the LED coverage.

Watered my autos. Run-off had a pH of ~6.4. Not sure if that's good or bad. I took off the bad leaves. Not sure what to do now. I don't want to wait until more leaves show symptoms but I need to come to a diagnosis before I can treat. Suggestions?

I'm not good with deficiencies but I would leave the leaves that exhibit symptoms. The deficiency has to go somewhere and it will be the next healthy leaf after infected leaves are removed

My first grow bagseed cfl mini box

Apr 1: DAY 105 (photos), DAY 32 (autos)

I added a bunch of sticky yellow bug traps that that should let me monitor my suspected gnat problem and sprinkled diatomaceous earth ("Green Earth Slug and Bug Insect Killer Dust").
I know gnats are attracted to bright yellow so I was worried about the purple colour of the LEDs would dull it - instead it makes them goddamn fluoresce, lol. If there are gnats, this should help. Thanks again JimmyJames.

Apr 1: DAY 105 (photos), DAY 32 (autos)

I added a bunch of sticky yellow bug traps that that should let me monitor my suspected gnat problem and sprinkled diatomaceous earth ("Green Earth Slug and Bug Insect Killer Dust").
I know gnats are attracted to bright yellow so I was worried about the purple colour of the LEDs would dull it - instead it makes them goddamn fluoresce, lol. If there are gnats, this should help. Thanks again JimmyJames.

Monterey Garden insect spray. OMRI-Organic. Spray soil. Goodbye, gnats.

Hope all is growing well. I have been giving shit and have all my electrical issues fixed. Topping the shit out of my clone and LST'ing every chance I get. Chocolope is an amazing genetic even better than the Willy's Wonder...lol... Good luck and hope to see awesome pictures soon. The only addition to my feedings is liquid aloe (food grade). I find it's like protein drinks for your plants.

Hope all is growing well. I have been giving shit and have all my electrical issues fixed. Topping the shit out of my clone and LST'ing every chance I get. Chocolope is an amazing genetic even better than the Willy's Wonder...lol... Good luck and hope to see awesome pictures soon. The only addition to my feedings is liquid aloe (food grade). I find it's like protein drinks for your plants.
Glad you got your issues dealt with. Could have been bad.
I'll update my journal tomorrow morning. :)

Apr 3: DAY 107 (photos), DAY 34 (autos)

Watered photos only.

I disinfected the grow tent, removed all the funky and dead leaves and sprayed everyone with an organic fungicide. I also did little dance for the gods hoping my problems are not caused by septoria. One of the plants is looking quite sickly. One of the leaves is papery. (in the pictures you can see white spots on the leaves. It is the fungicide, and it doesn't seem to be interfering with light absorption (I'll clean it off at the first sign of difficulty).

Apr 5: DAY 109 (photos), DAY 36 (autos)

I have a few pepper plants growing alongside my cannabis. It's interesting to see how they are growing under my LED lights. They don't seem to be flourishing. Not sure if the lights are the problem. Peppers may have different growing needs but I'm using the pepper seedlings as canaries in the coal mine. Their leaves aren't as green as they should be. (I grew them from seed in the same media so I wouldn't introduce disease).

I've put my sick auto under my fluorescent light fixture - it gives it quite a bit of light and the natural colour helps me keep a better eye on it.
Apr_5-1.jpg

Here is another auto, with some yellow leaves.
Apr_5-6.jpg

My photos seem pretty healthy with new growth.
Apr_5-3.jpg

I haven't found any gnats on the sticky yellow paper so I'm confident to eliminate them as a problem. Humidity in the tent has reduced to 45-50% but it came down slowly so I'm going to try to increase the air flow. I have a rotating fan and extraction fan in the tent, and passive intake. I've put some computer fans on the intake areas and am just waiting for my husband to hook them up for me.

I'm looking for advice on what else I can do to aid my autos. I still have some plants with brown spots - if I remove all leaves with spots the plant will be pretty bare. Is it better to strip down the plant and remove potential spores or hope the fungicide prevents growth/transmission. Should I isolate plants with spots? One the autos with a few yellow leaves also has brown tips on the green leaves (which are much more visible under the LED lights). Any advice?

Apr 6 : DAY 110 (photos) and DAY 37 (autos)

Are these flowers? I guess I wasn't expecting them so soon. What should I do different now? The lights are still at 18/6 for my photos. Photos are close in age to accepting social security benefits but are still only 6-8" tall. I want to grow them bigger (maybe to 10-12"?) before I switch them to flower. Are there any problems associated with growing flowering autos beside vegging photos?
Apr_6-2.jpg
Apr_6-1.jpg

(spotting on plant leaves in pics are organic fungicide which doesn't seem to be interfering with light absorption).

Back
Top Bottom