Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

I'm bored. So I'm going to show how I train lollipops. I don't know if it works, but maybe someone will get an idea from it.

You do need decent enough light to get them growing, for starters. But even with enough light (I'm running somewhere around 42 watts per square foot) they don't always reach the top of the canopy.

So I tried this on my previous grow with Cali Jack and Power Flower, and I didn't start early enough, so it failed then. But I got it working now.

Usually I see 2-4 branches that don't get enough light. These are pretty much always the lowest 4 branches on the plant, and instead of cutting them off, or just using them for clones, I want to see if I can get a little yield from them.

First, you need to LST. And might need to move some other branches laterally around the rim of the pot to make room.
Here's the branch I'm working on now, being held between my index and middle fingers:
IMG_20150521_182724_611.jpg

Just a normal branch being LST'd. Nothing special or exciting. I've also already removed all the undergrowth on this branch. This particular branch was thin and pliable, so supercropping wasn't necessary, and now that I'm in flower I won't bother with it, it's just for shits and giggles basically, since I already have 2 lollipops trained upwards like this.

When the branch reaches the edge of the pot, it's time to change things up. Take the LST string, rope, ribbon, or whatever you use, and run it to the opposite side of the pot. In this picture you'll see the ribbon on the other side now, and my index finger on the stem of the lollipop branch we're playing with.
IMG_20150521_182931_695.jpg

Once secured, if the branch was long enough, you now have a new top. Viola!
IMG_20150521_183004_560.jpg

This obviously isn't a technique that would be useful for the larger grow ops out there, but for anyone looking to play around with something new, or maybe get another gram or two from your plant, it should work fine. I'm going to grow the 3 branches upwards now, and will see what they yield individually, and combined when harvest time comes..

I already did this with 2 other lollipop branches, but figured I'd do it with this one too, just to show what I've been experimenting with. You can see the branch we just did in the front, and on the left and right are the other 2 branches I already did previously:
IMG_20150521_183330_514.jpg

On the other side, I ended up with a lower branch that split into two branches early on, so this will be where my 2 clones come from:
IMG_20150521_183144_703.jpg

And it wouldn't be complete without a canopy picture, I just finished a ton of defol from the middle, so she looks a bit naked right now, but that'll fill in in just a couple days.
IMG_20150521_183036_972.jpg

CC is also drinking a ton of water. I just watered on Monday, and she almost needs water again. I was originally going to wait a few more days, but figured I might as well give them both some flower nutes, so CC got about 3/4 of a gallon, and SB #1 got about 1/4 gallon.

SB #1 still has plenty of time before she needs water again.

CC will need water tomorrow or Sunday, the pot is feeling really light, and soil on top has been dry for a couple days now. Definitely a very thirsty/hungry strain. Such a pleasure to grow too.

I'm bored. So I'm going to show how I train lollipops. I don't know if it works, but maybe someone will get an idea from it.

You do need decent enough light to get them growing, for starters. But even with enough light (I'm running somewhere around 42 watts per square foot) they don't always reach the top of the canopy.

So I tried this on my previous grow with Cali Jack and Power Flower, and I didn't start early enough, so it failed then. But I got it working now.

Usually I see 2-4 branches that don't get enough light. These are pretty much always the lowest 4 branches on the plant, and instead of cutting them off, or just using them for clones, I want to see if I can get a little yield from them.

First, you need to LST. And might need to move some other branches laterally around the rim of the pot to make room.
Here's the branch I'm working on now, being held between my index and middle fingers:
IMG_20150521_182724_611.jpg

Just a normal branch being LST'd. Nothing special or exciting. I've also already removed all the undergrowth on this branch. This particular branch was thin and pliable, so supercropping wasn't necessary, and now that I'm in flower I won't bother with it, it's just for shits and giggles basically, since I already have 2 lollipops trained upwards like this.

When the branch reaches the edge of the pot, it's time to change things up. Take the LST string, rope, ribbon, or whatever you use, and run it to the opposite side of the pot. In this picture you'll see the ribbon on the other side now, and my index finger on the stem of the lollipop branch we're playing with.
IMG_20150521_182931_695.jpg

Once secured, if the branch was long enough, you now have a new top. Viola!
IMG_20150521_183004_560.jpg

This obviously isn't a technique that would be useful for the larger grow ops out there, but for anyone looking to play around with something new, or maybe get another gram or two from your plant, it should work fine. I'm going to grow the 3 branches upwards now, and will see what they yield individually, and combined when harvest time comes..

I already did this with 2 other lollipop branches, but figured I'd do it with this one too, just to show what I've been experimenting with. You can see the branch we just did in the front, and on the left and right are the other 2 branches I already did previously:
IMG_20150521_183330_514.jpg

On the other side, I ended up with a lower branch that split into two branches early on, so this will be where my 2 clones come from:
IMG_20150521_183144_703.jpg

And it wouldn't be complete without a canopy picture, I just finished a ton of defol from the middle, so she looks a bit naked right now, but that'll fill in in just a couple days.
IMG_20150521_183036_972.jpg

CC is also drinking a ton of water. I just watered on Monday, and she almost needs water again. I was originally going to wait a few more days, but figured I might as well give them both some flower nutes, so CC got about 3/4 of a gallon, and SB #1 got about 1/4 gallon.

SB #1 still has plenty of time before she needs water again.

CC will need water tomorrow or Sunday, the pot is feeling really light, and soil on top has been dry for a couple days now. Definitely a very thirsty/hungry strain. Such a pleasure to grow too.

Nice update bro, love the hands on. I was thinking of doing a video with my gopro showing how I do some lst work. You got me thinking... Great job!

Nice little tutorial. I haven't looked much into lollipopping, but I definitely understand it much better now.

Just to clarify so we don't confuse anyone, lollipopping is the practice of cutting those branches off the plant completely.

I wanted to try this to see if those lower branches could be trained into tops that produce enough to justify keeping them.

I'd do videos myself, but I'm bad enough with a camera, video would take me hours. I have to take 10-20 pictures sometimes just to get 1 usable shot. Technology doesn't like me.

Now you have me wondering what you're thinking about, care to share?

I'm working with a non profit building a farm to help vets with TBI. I want to make short videos to show vets/people how to actually work with the plants. Little pointers that i think video covers great. I've got some past experience with YouTube and it's an effective platform to teach, and learn, if it's done right...I'm just formulating ideas at point...but, you confirmed what i thoughtor was thinking

That's a great idea man. And helping anyone in need is always huge.

It's just truly sad, that normal folks like us do these things on our own, without much help (or any) from the government. I'd like to live in a world where the government sees a guy like you doing this, and gives you some cash, with no need to repay it, to help get things moving faster. Hell, it'd be even cooler if they sent people out to help get everything built and organized.

Instead we spend billions on military.

+Reps for you though, that's really great man!

That's a great idea man. And helping anyone in need is always huge.

It's just truly sad, that normal folks like us do these things on our own, without much help (or any) from the government. I'd like to live in a world where the government sees a guy like you doing this, and gives you some cash, with no need to repay it, to help get things moving faster. Hell, it'd be even cooler if they sent people out to help get everything built and organized.

Instead we spend billions on military.

+Reps for you though, that's really great man!

I lived in Greece for a year, or was stationed there. And they might, the government may not manage money well. But one thing they do there that I love, and it's done well, is conscription. Every man or female is required to serve the military after completion of high school.

Think about that in this country. So say your a pacifist and don't want to be in the military...I'm fine with that. Those people spend two years working for the country. Helping the elderly and homeless. Feeding the poor. Teaching the uneducated. Making this country a better place.

Then, they go to college or,, or go to greater things,, it would spark so much. They would graduate on time ready to hit the ground running..... They would be focused, patriotic,.and hopefully humble.

I think all vets who served in combat should have free homes and pay no taxes. Imaging what an already thankful and patriotic group would do with their free time. With the energy created by feeling loved by your country.

Such a small number of folks relatively speaking,, instead of funding,,, terrorists,, we could fund our combat vets.

A lot of people talk the talk, but they never walk it. Our vets have. I'm pretty sure I've found my calling and I'm pleased to do what I can to help a brother or sister. Nice talking with ya bro. This Memorial Day weekend think of those who gave it all, so we can talk.... I need to get walking. Left, riiiight, left.....

I lived in Greece for a year, or was stationed there. And they might, the government may not manage money well. But one thing they do there that I love, and it's done well, is conscription. Every man or female is required to serve the military after completion of high school.

Think about that in this country. So say your a pacifist and don't want to be in the military...I'm fine with that. Those people spend two years working for the country. Helping the elderly and homeless. Feeding the poor. Teaching the uneducated. Making this country a better place.

Then, they go to college or,, or go to greater things,, it would spark so much. They would graduate on time ready to hit the ground running..... They would be focused, patriotic,.and hopefully humble.

I think all vets who served in combat should have free homes and pay no taxes. Imaging what an already thankful and patriotic group would do with their free time. With the energy created by feeling loved by your country.

Such a small number of folks relatively speaking,, instead of funding,,, terrorists,, we could fund our combat vets.

A lot of people talk the talk, but they never walk it. Our vets have. I'm pretty sure I've found my calling and I'm pleased to do what I can to help a brother or sister. Nice talking with ya bro. This Memorial Day weekend think of those who gave it all, so we can talk.... I need to get walking. Left, riiiight, left.....

Our veterans definitely deserve more than what they get. It's sad when I see a man or women who served our country, is now partially disabled, or disabled because of it, and they're stuck driving a fucking 20 year old shit box mini van that's rusted to hell and barely runs.

The put their lives on the line, and that's what they get to enjoy. It's the worst possible insult.

I think of that every memorial weekend. No parties here man. It's not something to celebrate.

Always a pleasure brother.

The ladies are looking great Antics, your skills & knowledge are improving daily, and it shows!!

Thanks bro :) We'll see if the yield can back it up though!

Couldn't sleep. Woke up around two. Then came out to hot tub. That's where I do 90% of my posting. I'll stay up for your update while I have a few beers then back to bed.

Update time! It has been a week since the last update.

CC and SB #1 were both fed yesterday morning. Today is Day 9 of 12/12.
Both plants have been receiving an ongoing defol/tucking regimen every few days to keep all bud sites clear. CC is about 17" tall overall, with a canopy depth of about 6", I'll get actual measurements on all the kids during the week.

So, first, Cotton Candy as usual. Tight node spacing on bud sites. No problems other than some faint red streaks on the stems, even while giving her 0-15-15 Crystal Burst. Next week we start her on 0-51-34 Sonic Bloom.
IMG_20150525_074254_352.jpg

IMG_20150525_074321_377.jpg

SB #1 is still doing great with no problems. Also shows red streaks on her stem, but has done so throughout the entire grow, just as her mother did:
IMG_20150525_074304_735.jpg

IMG_20150525_074336_205.jpg

Big Bitch and SB #2 were fed and watered last week, same nutes for both plants. Big Bitch threw another temper tantrum:
IMG_20150525_080332_363.jpg

BB will be getting another flush this week, since she doesn't know how to behave.

SB #2 is looking great. I've been trimming some, and redirecting some roots back into the pot that grow out of the drain holes. She hasn't had a problem with this at all, and no other problems other than the red streaks that I've seen on this strain with 3 plants now.

IMG_20150525_080231_683.jpg

IMG_20150525_080241_257.jpg

And in a bit I'm going with the girlfriend for a nice quiet walk in a local park. I hope everyone enjoys their day. :thumb:

Looks great.
As we talked about before, I had problems with the Big strain myself..
But this time around It looks great. I have new pictures of it on my log.
Let's hope yours love the flush! :D

Cool man,, I'm heading over to check it out in a bit. I need to see what you're doing that I'm not lol. She's in the same soil as the other 3 plants, same nutes as the other 3 plants, and she's nothing but a pain in the ass.

Great update. BB is a high maintenance whore.

Thanks man. If I wasn't determined to flower her, I would have thrown her in my fire pit as soon as I saw her leaves curling and burning again.

Back
Top Bottom