Antics Power Flower - Cali Jack FIM Grow

Consider me an optimist, but both plants look closer to an oz in weight. Did you use molasses for this grow? If so, then when did you cut it off? It would be interesting to see how much more you would yield if you supplement co2 into your next grows.

I hope you're right. I'd love to join the 1+ ounce club. But I also don't want to get my hopes too high and disappoint myself, so I set my goals a little lower, and later adjusted them when I saw the plant growth. Originally I wanted to see 1/2 an ounce from each plant, but after seeing Cali Jack explode with growth, I upped her goal to 3/4 ounce.

(Rounding up we have approximately 7.1g per 1/4. 14.2g per 1/2. 21.3g per 3/4. 28.4g per ounce.)

Molasses was only used for the later half of flower. Power Flower is now being flushed, and is receiving water only. Cali Jack receives 1tbsp/gal every other week. Next time around I plan to use Molasses for a longer period during flower (I had only recently read enough reviews to convince me to give it a try, which is why I had a late start on it). And I alternate feedings with Molasses so I don't get a buildup of sugars in the soil, since I had an early problem with a few fungus gnats flying around. I don't want them coming back and ruining my grow.

Well they're nanners, not bollocks. So if they pollinate, it'll be feminized pollen, and I'll get feminized seeds. If they were bollocks, or balls, it would be male pollen and a 50/50 female/male seed ratio. The seeds would also be more likely to go hermy too.

So I'm in good shape, but no growth on the 2 branches I found the nanners on, and no other nanners spotted anywhere else yet.

Today is day 56 of Flower, and I expect Cali Jack to go AT LEAST another week. But probably 3 more weeks.

I have a total of 14 bulbs, 351 watts for 2 plants.

I THINK I'm on track for my target weight, but I'm still learning. It definitely looks like Power Flower should hit at least 14 grams, and Cali Jack should be at least 21 grams. But honestly, I have no idea lol. I'm only able to estimate based on one other harvest.

I turn my pots 1/4 turn every day, and 1/4 turn 2 times (morning and afternoon) on days I'm home to turn them at noon. So I have no way to compare buds under a bulb, to buds not under a bulb.

Yeah it takes a while lol. Cali Jack flowers 9-11 weeks. And then add your Veg time on top of that lol. Patience truly is a virtue, and like any fine wine, Cannabis gets better with time. Just try to resist picking the plant apart and rush drying buds to smoke them. It'll be worth it when the finished product is done.

I saw my biggest spurt on both plants when they were in flower, so when you go for the 12/12 switch, you'll see some insane growth. Just make sure you're ready for the LST to keep it shaped the way you want.

KJC's journals are great. You can learn a lot in there, and check his signature, he has a few great journals to read.

Ah, my mistake. Need to read up on my plant anatomy. It seems too similar and confusing, like pistil and stipule, which are really quite different but my mind confuses the words even though I understand what they mean. Anyhow, glad it's not going to screw anything up for you!

I'm really interested to see when you chop, for obvious reasons on the CJ! Have you noticed any more of a diesel smell from the PF? We have noticed more rapid growth since the plants recovered from the crap leaves, but we topped/FIMmed them today so expect that to slow down a bit.

Fortunately, the BC is estimated at 8-9 weeks, so unless our yield is really poor we should have enough of that to avoid massacring the CJ before its time. Ah, yeah, how stupid of me. I didn't even consider while writing that you must turn your pots, even though we turn ours. And I think you even stated that back on a previous page. Pretty dumb post by me all around! :loopy:

Basic crash course on plant anotomy:

You know pistils. We ALL know what pistils are, or we learn real fast. lol

Pollen sac, balls, bollocks, all the same thing. Round balls on a thin stem that contain male pollen. Very few people have a use for a male plant.

Nanners (short for bananas) because of their appearance, which resembles bananas. This is also known as bolting. Nanners contain female pollen, so if they do pollinate a plant, you will have mostly female/feminised seeds (we all love feminised seeds!)

Now if a hermy happens, it will have pistils/calyxes, and also have the balls. And if I remember correctly, any plant fertilized by its pollen can have an increased risk to go hermy. BUT.. some guys on here are growing using seeds from a hermy, and have no problems yet in their grow.

I will definitely keep the journal up to date, and will post the day of flower when I harvest Cali Jack.

The diesel smell from PF has weakened a little into a nice pine scent. What I thought was diesel seems like it was just the most concentrated pine smell I've ever experienced.

After topping, give your girls about a week to recover before you do any more cutting. You can use all the LST you want, but just avoid any high stress situations. Keep your temps controlled, no over/under watering, and she'll start to recover in just a couple days and resume growth.

If BC runs 8-9 weeks, and Cali runs 9-11 weeks, by the time BC is properly dried, and cured, you'll be harvesting CJ.

I strongly advise you to take your time on BOTH dries and cures. If you're really anxious to try it, save your sugar leaves from trimming, and smoke those. They're going to be a bit harsh, but they contain enough trichomes that you can get a nice effect from it. You just don't want to rush good buds, just to have something to smoke.

No worries man, we all forget shit sometimes. If someone comes here being an insulting jerk, that's a dumb post. Otherwise? Don't sweat it man, it happens. I've probably done the same thing a few times myself and didn't realize it.

Day 58 of Flower.

It has been 14 days since Power Flower received her last nutes. I'm going to give her one final flush with a gallon of water today, and will harvest within the next 3 days.

Pistils are mature, no new white ones growing out that I can see. All the existing white pistils are slowly starting to turn, the tips of pretty much every pistil is starting to brown a little now. Varying percentage of amber trichomes on the sugar leaves (between 1%-5% amber), buds are showing 90-95% cloudy, and only a small amount of ambers.

Can you say exciting? :rollit:

Woa nice density you got there! Don't lose hope now.

Flushing must be really exciting, as you know it's ALMOST TIME :party:

I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your information. I bet you helped thousands of noobs like me, just by writing this journal. Thanks in advance! If you can please stop by my journal and give me your 2 cents so I can get over my Planning Phase.

Out.

And another update on the backbuilding.

Here is the post where I made the cut: Antics Power Flower - Cali Jack FIM Grow

And now 9 days later I can see some interesting results so far. The cut bud has grown new top pistils and has a more blunt tip on it than the uncut bud.

This is the bud I cut:
2014-08-27_19-03-58_40.jpg

Here is the bud on the opposite branch that was not cut:
2014-08-27_19-05-06_934.jpg

I have a zippo lighter behind the buds for size reference, and for visibility.

Hey bud, I was just about to ask how the Backbuilding was coming along. It looks good. I think if you had more time you'd really be impressed a bit more. Good job.
And another update on the backbuilding.

Here is the post where I made the cut: Antics Power Flower - Cali Jack FIM Grow

And now 9 days later I can see some interesting results so far. The cut bud has grown new top pistils and has a more blunt tip on it than the uncut bud.

This is the bud I cut:
2014-08-27_19-03-58_40.jpg

Here is the bud on the opposite branch that was not cut:
2014-08-27_19-05-06_934.jpg

I have a zippo lighter behind the buds for size reference, and for visibility.

Hey bud, I was just about to ask how the Backbuilding was coming along. It looks good. I think if you had more time you'd really be impressed a bit more. Good job.

Well CJ has around 2-3 weeks to go still. And being Indica, I won't mind having more amber trichomes than I do on my Sativas, so I'm leaning towards the later harvest on her.

I plan to cut both buds at the same node for the final weigh in too.
But so far, the results look promising.

Oh and the nanners appear to be drying up and possibly dying on those lower branches lol. And still no signs of nanners anywhere else on her.

Power Flower was flushed with 3 more gallons of water today. I wasn't happy with how dark the runoff was after yesterday's flush.

After 3 more gallons we're at a light golden colored runoff. If I didn't flush more I feel like I would have waited forever to see fan leaves start to yellow. So hopefully this will be enough to let me harvest tomorrow, or the day after.

EDIT: I think I'm just going to run a few more gallons of water through it now instead of waiting until tomorrow.

EDIT AGAIN: 8 gallons total for the flush so far. I'm going to let her dry out for a day or two, then flush again if needed.

Thanks for the genital 101, and also for the lack of prejudice. I get more stupid when I'm excited :yahoo: But I will try to think more and smoke less before posting in future!

They really do look amazing. I would be sat staring at those in every second of my free time, just waiting, hahaha. Bet it smells great in there. The harvest will be good to see :nomo: We were discussing ours, assuming we get that far, and might be a bit naughty with the bag seed if it survives, or the BC if not, just to see the difference in quality using different drying/curing times and methods. I would really like to have a couple of the same plant some time, and cut one earlier than the other to really understand how it affects the smoke. Reading is one thing, but it'd be cool to feel the effect.

I'm surprised at the depth of your buds and have more faith in our lights now! The shape of CJ is awesome. Is there still a bit of pipe cleaner action going on at the bottom? I bet she'll love having all the light to herself once you chop the PF :)

Have you got anything lined up for when they both finish, or do you take some time to chill out between grows?

Thanks for the genital 101, and also for the lack of prejudice. I get more stupid when I'm excited :yahoo: But I will try to think more and smoke less before posting in future!

They really do look amazing. I would be sat staring at those in every second of my free time, just waiting, hahaha. Bet it smells great in there. The harvest will be good to see :nomo: We were discussing ours, assuming we get that far, and might be a bit naughty with the bag seed if it survives, or the BC if not, just to see the difference in quality using different drying/curing times and methods. I would really like to have a couple of the same plant some time, and cut one earlier than the other to really understand how it affects the smoke. Reading is one thing, but it'd be cool to feel the effect.

I'm surprised at the depth of your buds and have more faith in our lights now! The shape of CJ is awesome. Is there still a bit of pipe cleaner action going on at the bottom? I bet she'll love having all the light to herself once you chop the PF :)

Have you got anything lined up for when they both finish, or do you take some time to chill out between grows?

No worries man! I personally prefer to smoke in the evening before I reply to my topics (Sativa strain), otherwise I tend to get bored and sleepy from too much reading.

Thanks! With training yours will look just as good, or better. The only thing that sucks is you have to be patient. But if you can be patient, you will grow amazing Cannabis. And remember, it's not about huge yields, focus on quality. Bigger yields will come with time and practice. This is why I only increase my goal a little each time.

I would suggest growing Sativa dominant strains for that experiment. Harvest one with mostly cloudy and very few trichomes, and harvest the other with 50/50 cloudy/amber, or even more amber if you want a heavier couchlock.

So am I, I'm impressed so far. And Cali Jack seems to do very well with training, and CFLs. For me being inexperienced still, I'm very happy with how it's growing. I honestly have no complaints, and I should easily hit my goal of 14-21g on Cali Jack.

Yes, you're the first person to ask me about the pipe cleaners lol. I have to use them to keep the branches UP now. Otherwise the weight pulls them down several cm below the canopy.

LOL man I can't WAIT to harvest Power Flower just so I can put Cali Jack right in the middle where the strongest light concentration is! I need to flush a little more today, but I'm hoping to harvest by this Monday at the latest. I'm still waiting for my flush water to run clear.

And I will be starting a new grow as soon as this ends, I'm just undecided on which strain to grow as of yet. I have a few strains to choose from :)

Just skimmed through it! :goodjob: Antics!

Looks tasty! :volcano-smiley: :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to check out my journal. I know it's not much to look at, but I'm hoping the quality of the Cannabis speaks volumes.

And so far, everything looks better than my first grow :)

And now a little tiny update. I finished a 16 gallon flush on Power Flower. And I swear, it looks like a little nute burn, or a zinc deficiency on the tips of my leaves now. But no big deal, we're harvesting soon (I hope!). I haven't checked trichomes today, that's planned for tomorrow. I collected the remaining water from the drip pan, which was about 8 fluid ounces, and just tossed it into Cali Jack since I already refilled all my water containers.

The buds on Power Flower smell mostly spicy, with a little pine now. But a few spots on the same cola, the buds smell really, really sweet and piney, with no spice smell detected at all.

2014-08-29_18-24-30_253.jpg

2014-08-29_18-24-43_903.jpg

Cali Jack is doing just amazing. The buds are getting fat, and feel heavy and dense, but this might change as they dry. I lost a lot of density on my big "cola" on my first grow, and it ended up looking like a small nug lol. Pistils are slowly starting to change color, but she has a few weeks to go, so she'll be receiving nutes for 1, MAYBE 2 more feedings, then it'll be time for her flush. Next feeding should be either tomorrow, or the following day. The buds all still have a sweet skunky smell, and it's just amazing to look at. At least in the few plants I've grown so far. She's definitely the best so far.

2014-08-29_18-25-10_604.jpg

2014-08-29_18-29-28_460.jpg

Back
Top Bottom