Anubis420's Low-Budget Indoor White Widow Grow - 2009

Anubis420

First grow in my new place, so this should be interesting as there will probably be quite a bit of improvisation as we move along.

I'm utilizing two closets, 3x3 for germination and initial veg, when they start to get some size, will move them into either a 6x8, or 9x12 closet I have available to finish veg and to flower.

Ten Nirvana White Widow seeds, and one "mystery" seed - Courtesy of the good people of Seedmadness.

Currently germinating in grodan MM 50/40 2" starter mini-blocks, in a standard propagation tray under a 7" ventilated dome.

Once I get viable seedlings (fingers crossed), those will be transplanted into 3 1/2 gal pots using a 50/50 mix of black Southwestern Minnesota topsoil and Ferti-lome that I've had good results with in the past.

Ferts are:

Fox Farms Grow Big Soil Formula 6-4-4
Fox Farms Big Bloom 0.01-0.3-0.7 (If we get that far)

Lighting:

Agrotech 1000w Budget Gro HPS ballast
Agrotech Sun System Reflector

This is an extremely low-budget grow, since all of my original equipment was damaged beyond repair by my vindictive ex during a recent messy breakup.

And so it begins...
DSCF0001_opt.jpg

Sup bro. I wish you the best.. I understand the part about ur ex, some females can be LOCO in the head if you know what I'm saying. Trust me I know..but back to ur grow, I wish U the best of Luck Bro!!!!

:peace: & Love from the Glove

my current grow is low budget wht. widow,I veg. with 6500 cfls and then flower with cfl 2700s and a 150 hps,and I only grow 4 or so flowering at 1 time and always some sprouting too,so plants are always growing,have not run out ever since started growing.:surf:good luck with the grow:surf:

Thanks spike and Mi-Grower. I had to roll the dice and decide whether or not to go with CFL, or just buy a new HPS ballast, reflector and bulb. Since I'm pretty far north and we're already into fall and cooler outside temps, I'll be able to regulate heat fairly easily with an open window and a couple of fans, but this is going to be a challenging grow for me with just the single HPS as opposed to my old setup, where I had a suncircle, vegged with 2 1000w MH, and flowered with 2 1000w HPS.

Add the fact that I now have a much smaller space to work with, the increased stretching I'm going to see since I have to veg with the HPS as well is going to be a bit of a factor... how much of a factor, I don't know. As the grow goes along and I post pictures, I will of course be receptive to suggestions or advice from the rest of you. I'm very curious to see what kind of results I'll get with such a limited setup.

Just a quick update, all ten White Widow seeds have successfully germinated, and so has the "Mystery Seed" as well. 100% viable seeds from Nirvana via Seedmadness! I am STOKED that my first grow in my new place seems to be off to a good start.

I'm VERY curious to see what the "Mystery Seed" turns out to be... I'm really hoping that whatever strain it turns out to be, it's a female so I can see it all the way through.

I'll post a few new pics in a day or two as soon as I see some green appear above the cubes.

Another quick update, all 11 are now showing above the grodan cubes, and have their first tiny little sets of fan leaves making an appearance. If all goes well, I'll be moving them into their 3 1/2 gal pots in the next few days. I'll try to get a pic up later today or tomorrow.

Update for Monday

Had an unexpected heat issue over the weekend, (It got up to 60 degrees here, and no one shut off the boiler! I woke up yesterday morning in an 85 degree bedroom, and the temp in the closet with the seedlings was 115!) as a result, I lost two of the White Widow seedlings, and the "Mystery Seedling" as well.

I moved quickly, and the eight remaining White Widow seedlings were transplanted into their 3 1/2 gallon pots, and moved into the larger closet, that I have rigged so it can be vented to the outside, which will allow for easier heat dissipation.

The babies aren't very happy at the moment, but I should be able to get them back on track in a day or two.

Here are photos of six of the eight White Widow survivors:
DSCF0009_opt.jpg

DSCF0011_opt.jpg

DSCF0012_opt.jpg

DSCF0013_opt.jpg

DSCF0007_opt.jpg

DSCF0008_opt.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that the next week or so goes smoothly and I can get the larger room dialed in so I can breathe a little easier.

I haven't had the chance to update in over a week, it's been pretty busy on my end.

Anyway, things are progressing, although they're not doing so as quickly as I like. I did move my plants into the larger space, but I'm still dealing with the typical minor issues of getting the room properly dialed in, and one plant that is the slowest grower I have ever seen in my life.

On to the pics:

Number 1
DSCF0001_opt1.jpg

Number 2
DSCF0004_opt.jpg

Number 3
DSCF0005_opt.jpg

Number 4
DSCF0006_opt.jpg

Number 5
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/DSCF0007_opt1.jpg

Number 6
DSCF0008_opt1.jpg

Skipping Number 7... she got knocked over and is currently in intensive care.

Number 8
Not sure what's going on with this one... It's the slowest growing White Widow seedling I have ever seen.
DSCF0009_opt1.jpg

That's where we stand right now. Started feeding with the Fox Farms Grow Big Soil Formula 6-4-4 on Monday.

I haven't determined when I'm going to start LSTing these yet, that depends on what kind of growth I see after this first full week of feeding.

I'm going to continue to veg these (24/0) for about three more weeks, and make a determination at that time if I'm going to veg for another week, or switch to 12/12.

Best of luck hope every thing grows well. Let me c if I got this right your doing the whole grow with a hps. Just a suggestion why not grow with a couple of cfl's it would help with some of the heat issues and you can right spectrom of light 4 the babies just my 2cents bro puff puff pass and im gone

Best of luck hope every thing grows well. Let me c if I got this right your doing the whole grow with a hps. Just a suggestion why not grow with a couple of cfl's it would help with some of the heat issues and you can right spectrom of light 4 the babies just my 2cents bro puff puff pass and im gone

When I first started growing (about 20 years ago!) the ONLY light I had was a 400w HPS, and I always got decent results with just that, bagseed, and topsoil.

I had to take my initial cost for equipment into consideration. In my first post here, I mentioned that ALL of my previous equipment (2 1000w MH, 2 1000w HPS, a SunCircle, my air filters and fans) was destroyed by my vindictive ex during a messy breakup.

She also flushed almost $1000 in Amsterdam seed stock, and killed TWENTY-ONE White Widow and Big Bud females that were in week six of flower.

As a result, I had to start up again in my new space with a VERY limited budget. I had to buy new seed stock, pots, fans, filters, and a light.

I could have purchased 1 1000w MH, 1 1000w HPS, or gone with CFL.

I chose to deal with the heat issue (not a problem since it's almost winter, and I live in the far north) and live with the happy medium of the type of light I have the most experience with.

I see that quite a few people here use CFL, but I'm not a fan of them. At the end of the day, it was a simple equation of economics and personal choice! As soon as this crop is done, it's back to my grow store for a 1000w MH so I can veg the next crop "properly".

Looking good bro. Off to a good start. The only light we use is a 400 watt MH, I'll be flowering with it as well.

:peace: & Love from the Glove

My 1st grow

I've seen plenty of decent results from growers using just a single MH, or HPS. This is your first grow, so there's no need to bury yourself in excess equipment until you finish your first crop, and then you'll be in a "comfort zone" of sorts, and can start thinking more about how to increase your yield and quality. I've noticed that there are plenty of people here who are quick to make comments about what someone is using to grow with, when they don't grow a damn thing themselves. (Not you bigman... your question was legitimate)

my bad dude

my bad dude

No offense taken bro. Like I said, your question was legitimate!

The only people on this site that I have an axe to grind with, are the ones who talk a lot of crap, and give one-star ratings on a new grower's first journal when you can tell that they've never grown a Dandelion, let alone marijuana!

I've mentioned this type before, when I've seen them pop up on someone else's journal giving "advice". They're the ones who don't grow anything themselves, but are always right there to smoke the fruits of a legitimate grower's labor.

The ones that REALLY frost my balls are the ones that obtain some stash from a legitimate grower and then tell people that THEY grew it... I run into that type at music festivals all the time. You can tell that they're full of crap as soon as you start asking them questions about how they got the results they did... I love the ones that say "I just threw some seeds into my garden, and this is what I got..."

Wankers.
:roorrip:

Lol man bro remind me to stay on your good side peace grow well

It's been nearly two weeks since my last update, mainly since my regular J.O.B. called, and had quite a few concerts booked, so I was busy doing my "rock star" thing providing backstage security. I did get to work for some pretty cool acts, three of whom I've toured with in the past and always request me specifically when they roll through my neck of the woods.

I get the impression that the quality of smoke I provide may have something to do with the return calls, lol.

Anyway, I left the plants in the care of a trusted associate for the days I was on the road, and there isn't a whole hell of a lot to report. I was hoping that I was going to be in a position to start flowering on December 1st, but getting the room dialed in took longer than I thought it would, the move from 3.5 to 5 gallon pots stressed the plants significantly, and quite frankly, I am NOT pleased with the inconsistency of the seeds I purchased from Nirvana... Out of the eight seedlings that survived from the original eleven I see at least FOUR different phenotypes. This was my first, and will be my LAST purchase of seeds from Nirvana... I am very disappointed with what they provided me with.

The temperature issues in the room have been solved due to the arrival of colder weather here in the frozen North (finally!)

Other than a nute burn issue that was quickly caught and handled, things are progressing, although more slowly than I anticipated. 20/20 hindsight tells me I should have started this crop in mid-September.

On to a few pics:

The fan leaves on this one are positively massive, even for a White Widow plant.
DSCF0001_opt2.jpg

This one should turn out to be the short, bushy plant I'm looking for.
DSCF0006_opt1.jpg

As should this one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least one of these two turns out to be female, so I can move it to the smaller room and it can become a mother.
DSCF0007_opt2.jpg

And this little bastard is the slow-grower. The only reason i'm keeping it around is because it fascinates me, and I' not exactly short on space this crop. Not only is it the SLOWEST growing White Widow plant I have ever seen, but it also is stretching more than I would expect.
DSCF0004_opt1.jpg

Unless there is some sort of explosion of growth over the next few days, I'm looking at vegging for a minimum of two, and possibly three more weeks before I put them on 12/12. Like I said above, I am now VERY disappointed with my seeds from Nirvana and will not purchase from them again. Only a tiny amount of the blame for the inconsistencies I'm seeing from this crop can be attributed to the new room, and limited equipment I currently have at my disposal.

Has anyone else seen the same inconsistencies with Nirvana White Widow Seeds?

Hey bud, I gotta oost some more before I can reply to your PM. But thanks for the pointers

No problem bro. Like I told you, my method of germination gets me nearly perfect results. On my current grow, all eleven seeds sprouted in less than six days. The only reason I lost the three that I did was due to a heat issue which has since been resolved.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. Most of the people here know exactly what they're talking about and will give you SOLID information to help you deal with any problems. You'll be able to figure out who the idiots who have never grown anything before are pretty quickly. There are a few of those lurking here unfortunately but not very many, and others are usually quick to contradict any bad advice you might get.

Back
Top Bottom