Any tips for switching to LEDs?

Homebrew420

420 Member
OK I've tried to read through "the basics of plant lighting" thread but my head is mashed and the technical is not going in šŸ˜†

Here's where im at.
I used to grow with a 125w CFL for the seedling, till a certain height (which I can't remember!šŸ˜†), then switch to a 600MH light for veg, then a 600HPS for bloom.. (with a week or so MH right at the end).
All the time getting the light as close as possible without burning them.

This time round I have got the Phlizon fd6500.
I have germinated in paper towels now they are in jiffy discs in a propagator under the LED.
Going by their website, I should have the light dimmed to 40% and between 24" and 30" from the plant at 28*C ..

I'm at about 22/23*C currently @ about 24".
What would people suggest, is that correct? I was always under the impression keep the lights close as poss to keep the nodes closer and a less spindly plant.. the guide on the website has thrown me a bit from personal methods of the past.

I've chosen to ignore the 12-14hours light cycle that's also shown..

Screenshot_20240322_144747_Samsung Internet.jpg

Certainly the manufacturers recommendation are a good starting point! In my experience they're pretty accurate. But, like all growers, we tend to play around a bit, and you can, to some extent, control node space and other things by playing with distance/intensity. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's easy. I rarely run mine at 100% (usually because I've run out of vertical space).

The biggest difference is that hps raises leaf surface temp [mh doesn't], so run your tent warmer under LEDs
LEDs give off virtually none of the heat hps does because there is far less IR [heat]
So you can run temps at 28-32Ā°C but you have to compensate with more airflow to keep the RH in check
24" is about right with that lamp for seedlings, closer is only for T5/CFL
:hookah:

i run my entire grows at 24 - 18 inches from the top of the canopy. i raise the light as they reach into the 18 inch mark in veg, and leave it at 18 through flower.

Any tips for switching to LEDs?
I have no special tip except buy the best you can afford. Once you have figured that out that amount add about 10% more and then look at lights and buy.

The next step is to have money available for the hardware needed to hang the light including the basics like screws, bolts and nuts and fasteners.

All the other tips being given in the messages above will eventually fall into place once the lights are in place and turned on and the plants start growing;).

Thanks for the replies, I'll look to keep them in mfg. Specs then.
Got my seedlings under the light at minimum power atm, I know the heat is going to be less than the mh/hps, it's in a different environment to last time so its difficult to gauge what temps I'll be running when it's on full power. Atm I'm fairly low night at 18.5, day peaked at 26 today.. think I need more insulation.

what's minimum power ?

10 - 25% is usually a good start ramping fairly quick to 50% all at 24 inches from the tops. then from there you'll probably roll to 75-80% pretty quick through veg. keeping some headroom for extra push in flower.

if you wanna save the rig you'll run 90 - 95% in flower. railing the the light will reduce it's lifespan. it's amazing what holding back 5-10% does. you probably don't need more with your wattage. i try to never run above 90% on my flower rig.

I've looked at a video on youtube of the Phlizon I have and it shows his was ~180w on minimum setting.

All what you've said noted! (I'm my head!), you mean ramp it up even in seedling stage? I was going to give them a couple of weeks before I start thar? Makes a lot on sense to hold off 100% power though šŸ‘

I've downloaded an app for this umol/dli stuff. Basically said with the readings i was getting and the age, I either needed to turn down the light (impossible) Or reduce the hours of light to get the best "dli" range.. can't do that either as I need the minimal heat! . . Managed to get it a better by moving them to the side of the tent. Whether or not it'll make that much difference I don't know, but if it's easy enough to check this stuff then why not I guess.

Back
Top Bottom