Anyone have info on starting ashwagandha seeds?

Pretty self explanatory I guess. I've been trying to start some ashwagandha seeds for a couple of months, and they just won't sprout.
No roots, no crack in the she'll, nothing.
If anyone here has started seeds, or knows someone who has, any advice would be welcome.
I've tried both in and on soil, jiffy pods, and paper towels.

What up Mel??

I‘m not famliar with ashwag but some seed crops benefit from stratification or freezing for a few days before trying to germ….pardon spelling - stupid auto correct
It's from hotter drier regions of India, so I'm not sure if that would help. It's an herb that actually has some clinical evidence for its reputed effects. Lowering stress hormones, and improving sleep.
Thanks for the input though. I'm having trouble finding germination info that isn't cut and paste from a single source.

have you been keeping them @ 70-80 F Says should be much like germinating pepper seeds keep moist but not soggy 2-3 weeks . You try scuffing them up ?

have you been keeping them @ 70-80 F Says should be much like germinating pepper seeds keep moist but not soggy 2-3 weeks . You try scuffing them up ?
I actually had a set of them in with my pepper seeds. Exact same conditions, no joy. They're about half the size of pepper seeds, but round. Not sure if I could scuff them up without crushing them, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks

I actually had a set of them in with my pepper seeds. Exact same conditions, no joy. They're about half the size of pepper seeds, but round. Not sure if I could scuff them up without crushing them, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks
sandpaper in a tube or in a match box

@RedskinnedRhino I hope you don't mind me tagging you here.
I saw you mentioned growing ashwagandha in your garden. Do you have any advice on starting seeds?
I'm no funky gardener with all kinds of cool secrets, I'm just a trail and error kind of dude.
I sprinkled the seeds all around the top of my pot, ruffled the dirt to partially bury em, and kept it moist for like 3 weeks - and nothing grew. Then I got sick of looking at the plant-less pot and I set it to the side, out of the direct light and without watering for a couple weeks. I only misted the dirt surface every few days in an attempt to get something to pop.
That's when they decided to grow.
3 of em popped up, but one gave up the ghost - I put them under the grow light immediately, and it pissed them off and killed plant #3.
After leaving them in indirect lamplight for 2 weeks, I brought them back under the lights and they were cool with it.
These jokers don't like water very much, even in a SIP. After growing into seedlings, the more I water them- the slower they grow. I only water em once every 10 days or so now and they are finally getting some action in.

My growing tips: lightly mist the surface of the dirt with seeds, don't wet up the soil like you normally would with a vegetable or pot seed. Partial sunlight/ lamplight - they didn't react well to direct light until they got a couple leaves. Don't water them frequently, they don't like it. They grow slow at first, so just let em chill while you dick around with your other plants, you can basically forget they are there.
Just my take on em, YMMV.

20230806_040413.jpg

I'm no funky gardener with all kinds of cool secrets, I'm just a trail and error kind of dude.
I sprinkled the seeds all around the top of my pot, ruffled the dirt to partially bury em, and kept it moist for like 3 weeks - and nothing grew. Then I got sick of looking at the plant-less pot and I set it to the side, out of the direct light and without watering for a couple weeks. I only misted the dirt surface every few days in an attempt to get something to pop.
That's when they decided to grow.
3 of em popped up, but one gave up the ghost - I put them under the grow light immediately, and it pissed them off and killed plant #3.
After leaving them in indirect lamplight for 2 weeks, I brought them back under the lights and they were cool with it.
These jokers don't like water very much, even in a SIP. After growing into seedlings, the more I water them- the slower they grow. I only water em once every 10 days or so now and they are finally getting some action in.

My growing tips: lightly mist the surface of the dirt with seeds, don't wet up the soil like you normally would with a vegetable or pot seed. Partial sunlight/ lamplight - they didn't react well to direct light until they got a couple leaves. Don't water them frequently, they don't like it. They grow slow at first, so just let em chill while you dick around with your other plants, you can basically forget they are there.
Just my take on em, YMMV.

20230806_040413.jpg
Thanks!
I was probably keeping them too wet! I'll try again this Autumn!

Once it got accustomed to the SIP, it started taking water and nutrients just like my herb plants. I think I'm a few weeks away from harvest, and I'm interested to see if the roots and berries taste like shit, or if they taste good. The dudes on YouTube that grew their own enjoyed the taste, but the google scribes say it tastes like hell.
I'll save some berries for seeds, then process the rest for some kind of healthy concoction.
If anyone wants some seeds,(Ashwaganda seeds) I'd be cool with drying em out and mailing you a packet of em, just holler at cha boy!

20231010_033235.jpg

20231010_033239.jpg

If anyone wants some seeds,(Ashwaganda seeds) I'd be cool with drying em out and mailing you a packet of em, just holler at cha boy!
That would be awesome!
If it's like super hot pepper seeds those really need consistent high temp and humidity and can take weeks to germinate.
The bhut jolokia seeds sprouted just fine under the same conditions, so I think they really do need less moisture.

That would be awesome!
I'll find the proper process to dry them, and even throw in some whole berries, in case that works better. I'll keep you in the loop, when they're ready we'll hook up for the logistics to put em in your hands.

Back
Top Bottom