Anyone know what this is? Help please

I am pretty sure your doing nothing wrong its that your soil lacks the proper ratios of nutrients needed for sustained healthy growth.
I work at the UKs biggest distributor of gardening growing media. I have access to all coir, peat, etc. What would be best mix
I am pretty sure your doing nothing wrong its that your soil lacks the proper ratios of nutrients needed for sustained healthy growth.
It's doing my head in now. Just checked them and it's spread adding to next set of leaves.

I feel pot weight and put finger in to feel moisture.
Just do the lift method. I still suspect that they aren't dry enough when you are watering them.
You should be able to pick up cloth pots easily with one hand when they are ready to water. This lady can pick up a 5gal of promix with a 2' plant in it, one handed. You are in cloth pots so you can feel the bottom of them as well. If they are cool to the touch they are still wet.

So what happens when you over water is that the root zone becomes anaerobic meaning it holds no oxygen. This can lead to root rot but it can also cause your soil to acidify causing lockout. Mag uptake is effected by soil acidification.

Let me know your thought and if this is a possibility and we can go from there. When I look at the pic I see heavy leaves that are curling down and holding water.

Just do the lift method. I still suspect that they aren't dry enough when you are watering them.
You should be able to pick up cloth pots easily with one hand when they are ready to water. This lady can pick up a 5gal of promix with a 2' plant in it, one handed. You are in cloth pots so you can feel the bottom of them as well. If they are cool to the touch they are still wet.

So what happens when you over water is that the root zone becomes anaerobic meaning it holds no oxygen. This can lead to root rot but it can also cause your soil to acidify causing lockout. Mag uptake is effected by soil acidification.

Let me know your thought and if this is a possibility and we can go from there. When I look at the pic I see heavy leaves that are curling down and holding water.
Yes pots have been feeling lighter than when I use normal pots when I water but cool on the bottom so hopefully your rite. The plants spouted on the 5/12 I gave them 1 litre on the the 19th then 2 litre 5 days later then 3 litre 5 days later then another 3 litre 5 days after again. Maybe they have still been wet at the bottom.

Let them dry out really good. You may want to do a slurry test to check your soil pH. Do you have a pH pen??

No.
Don't check run-off. It won't tell you anything. I want you to allow the plant to dry. Then take a slurry sample for a test.

A slurry test is equal parts distilled water and a soil sample. You let this mix sit for a period of time and then take a reading with your pH pen. This will tell you the pH of your soil mix.

No.
Don't check run-off. It won't tell you anything. I want you to allow the plant to dry. Then take a slurry sample for a test.

A slurry test is equal parts distilled water and a soil sample. You let this mix sit for a period of time and then take a reading with your pH pen. This will tell you the pH of your soil mix.
OK thanks. Does it have to be distilled water? I find it hard to find near me.also do I just take soil from the top

Yes. Distilled or DI.
You will want a sample from closer to the root zone. You may have to dig a small section of soil out.
From Hanna Instruments.
How to Test Soil Using the Slurry Method
  1. Gather some soil from the test area.
  2. Take the homogeneous sample and add equal parts of soil and distilled or deionized (DI) water in a 1:1 ratio. So, for 25 grams of soil you would add 25 mL of water.
  3. Stir the sample for 5 seconds.
  4. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
  5. Start stirring the sample again after 15 minutes, and take your measurement.
  6. If you are a visual learner, like I am the vids help. There are many more on YouTube.

Yes. Distilled or DI.
You will want a sample from closer to the root zone. You may have to dig a small section of soil out.
From Hanna Instruments.
How to Test Soil Using the Slurry Method
  1. Gather some soil from the test area.
  2. Take the homogeneous sample and add equal parts of soil and distilled or deionized (DI) water in a 1:1 ratio. So, for 25 grams of soil you would add 25 mL of water.
  3. Stir the sample for 5 seconds.
  4. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
  5. Start stirring the sample again after 15 minutes, and take your measurement.
  6. If you are a visual learner, like I am the vids help. There are many more on YouTube.
Just thought. Can't belive I didn't realise this before...... The soil I used is the same as i always use with no problems. THIS TIME I washed the perlite...... The perlite was washed in normal tap water and was still wet when I mixed it with the soil. My tap water is usually 7.2ish ph. Soooo I'm thinking my soil pH may have started off to high and stayed there. I don't usually wash the perlite. So I'm thinking as I usually flush the soil and perlite (mixed) with 3 litre pH 6.2 water but this time it mixed with the soaking perlite at 7.2 it may have made the start ph to high? Just a thought?

If you want to make it simple they make these wonderful tools. really makes everything easy. just remember you have to let it reach the temp of the substrate which requires a few minutes then I always turn it back on and move on bam no mess. I'm also lazy though lol
15784036169495900190503101395467.jpg

If you want to make it simple they make these wonderful tools. really makes everything easy. just remember you have to let it reach the temp of the substrate which requires a few minutes then I always turn it back on and move on bam no mess. I'm also lazy though lol
15784036169495900190503101395467.jpg
I have one but not a digital one. Now I've checked soil (just used half a cup of water and half a cup of soil?) il check my pH soil meter and see how accurate it is. Will be buying one of those bad boys though.

You'll find out when you do your slurry test. :thumb:
@Virgin ground ok so I think I managed it. Used half a cup soil and half a cup Di water. Got a reading of 5.75 which is funny because I calibrated my new pH pen and tested my old one and it turns out the old pH pen was about 0.4 too low so when I've been giving them 6.2 water it's been about 5.8.so will low ph cause the problems I have with the leaves?

OK so how can I get the pH back up. They need watering tomorrow shall I just put 7ph into them.?@emilya can you please have a quick look at this thread and let me know how to get ph up.

You are better off waiting for Emilya, as she grows in soil. I grow drain-to-waste in coco/perlite.

I suspect what she'll say is to simply water at the correct pH.

Back
Top Bottom