Automaria II (First Grow)

Wellll. I was all excited to plant today, so I said screw it and got some 1.4qt pots, cuz I cant wait haha.

MG_Organic.jpg

Heres the soil and the pots.

Will post transplant pics when Im done, thanks for all the support guys!

Just took a PPM of my water and it reads 840....that ok?? Was planning for the 100PPM+ for sprout food.

This organic soil is just for the sprouts, will change to my real organic soil after a couple weeks.

Heres what it looks like after the transplant to the MG organic
Family_Photo1.jpg

Dont know wtf Im doing, starting to think I have the perpetual "brown thumb." I feel like im doing more bad than good to these girls! :bitingnails: Maybe I should just give up :surrender:

Friggen tried to add some of my nutes to 1 gal of water. Water tested at 840PPM, just kept adding drops, no real way to F***N determine how much Im really doing, and it got up to 950PPM. Just ruined my damn night.

So two are "OK," one Im pretty sure isnt gonna make it, and another the only 2 leaves it has are practically curling underneath itself. I hate my life :rip:
Curling1.jpg

Now... I have a suggestion for seedling soil. You can make your own for now and this is just because you need something right now. The purpose of seedling soil is to drain very well, and be lightly fertilized.
Your need vermiculite, peat moss and Miracle Grow Organic Choice. The reason I suggest the Miracle Grow product is that it's readily available at Lowes or HomeDepot.
Mix equal parts of the vermiculite and peat moss, and 10% Organic Choice. So the ratio looks like 10-10-1
10 parts vermiculite
10 parts peat moss
1 part organic choice

The vermiculite and peat moss have no nutritional value. They just promote draining, more or less. The nutes will come from the small amount of organic choice.

Thinking out loud again... if your runt can be easily removed from the rockwool... then removed her, and put her in a dixiecup of seedling soil. Just add plain water, no nutes. And observe. I'm willing to bet she'll come around.

jwb,
For the runt.... looks like you didn't add any vermiculite or peat moss. Ya might wanna get some, mix per above and re-pot.

I read your tap water was 850ppm. Don't know if thats accurate or not. Try testing some bottled water and see what type of reading you get.

ALSO... something I just learned today. I'm using tap water that has chlorine. I'll need to remove the chlorine before watering. Chlorine will evaporate (out) on it's own if the water is allowed to stand for 24 hours. I plan on filling a 5 gallon bucket and then running my air bubbler with an air stone dropped into the bucket. This added bubble action will help eliminate as much chlorine as possible.

Yes your right. I did not get anything for the runt today. I can do tomorrow after work.

For the water, its cycled through my local Petshop and filtered to PH 7.0.

Havent even checked my local tap.

Ok, ok... so you're petshop water tested at ~850ppm and is set at pH of 7.0

I'm not confident in the reading of your ppm meter. Please test a bottle of Dasani or any bottled water. You should get a reading around 100ppm (+/- 10 or 20) But bottled water will not read very high and centainly not in the 500ppm+ range.

Aight...
Since I have AN grow, micro, bloom on hand, I experimented and this is what I took to make a 100ppm mix in 1 gallon of water. Takes about 10-12 drops each, for a gallon of water. PPM will be ~100+ppm.

Keep trying... you'll get the hang of it.

Looks like youre overwatering them. Water keeps plants rigid, if they are soft and droopy - need water, rigid and curled - too much water. Plus I thought Id add: a seed contains enough nutrients to carry itself along for 2+ weeks. You should only give them water for that period.

I have only done a few grows, but its my understanding that smaller pots during growth promotes a better root ball plus decreases your chance of having moisture problems in the soil. I have always used a small cup or plug for germ, 16 - 20 oz cups next, when roots are popping out the bottom I go to 3 gal pot.

Dont give up! Water less, and keep an eye on the ph. Good luck!

ALSO... something I just learned today. I'm using tap water that has chlorine. I'll need to remove the chlorine before watering. Chlorine will evaporate (out) on it's own if the water is allowed to stand for 24 hours. I plan on filling a 5 gallon bucket and then running my air bubbler with an air stone dropped into the bucket. This added bubble action will help eliminate as much chlorine as possible.

Excellent advice:thumb: and also oxygenates the water for healthy roots. Chlorine has a lower heat of evaporation than water. Your ph will fall as the chlorine evaps tho, so dont ph the water until it has sat for a day or two. Water also resists temp changes (specific heat stuff) so normally when you water the plants the water will be cooler than the air which is good.

Thanks allot for all the help & constructive criticism guys, dont know what I'd do without you.

Got my vermiculite and peat moss today @ lowes, will retransplant my runt in a bit.

Right next to the "soil addatives" was a bag of "seedling/sprout soil" that had vermiculate, spahnum peat moss, little bit of lime and some organic soil to it, friggen pissed, probably would have been perfect!

Also saw a moisture/PH/light meter with 2 long ass prongs in that department, would it be worth it for a noob grower, or is that thing even that accurate.

Just so scared to underwater these girls, came home today and the top layer of this soil was BAKED, but stuck my finger in, and just 1/2" down was damp, so its just messing with me.

Thanks again guys, all your help is MUCH appreciated :thanks::thanks::adore:

Also will test a bottle of Poland springs in a few, thinking of getting a few more "oral syringes" so I have 1 per nute bottle, so I dont cross contaminate, just to help me get my "droppings" correct

The new transplant, the first "round" leaves that came with her are rather tough and yellow, not looking to good compared to the others
Runt15.jpg

Should of added all that good stuff to the MG organic, it seems like the other 3 pots are settling...hope its not going to choke my girls..

As far as the water test, this sucks, I dont have any calibration fluid, but it ran at 26 PPM with a chilled bottle of Poland Springs :scratchinghead:
Spring_Water_PPM.jpg

Hi.

I just found your journal. I get the feeling you are getting a bit frustrated. I am a new grower with a few sprout sessions under my belt. what I do is put the seeds right in the 1" X 3" deep starter cups full of pro-mix from my local HD, I put the starters on a diaper wipe warmer ( a heating pad works great too) and wet the soil. My seeds sprout within 48 hrs. I wet the soil again and leave them in the cups for two more days then I transplant them into the pots they will stay in for the next two to three weeks.

I do not water the soil after the transplant from the starter cups until the following day because the transplanted soil from the starter cups are still wet. I also do not use any nutrients in the water just tap water P.H.'d to 6.5. (gassed off of course)

here is a link to my sprout that was a seed six days ago.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Picture_01829.jpg

All in all I believe you are trying too hard.... plant them, give them water and some time, and they will grow on their own, save your nutes til they get their first 5 fingered leaves.

I am a New England native also, so It is nice to see people in my area growing. Hope you don't mind me hangin around your grow journal...TTYL!

Hi.

I just found your journal. I get the feeling you are getting a bit frustrated. I am a new grower with a few sprout sessions under my belt. what I do is put the seeds right in the 1" X 3" deep starter cups full of pro-mix from my local HD, I put the starters on a diaper wipe warmer ( a heating pad works great too) and wet the soil. My seeds sprout within 48 hrs. I wet the soil again and leave them in the cups for two more days then I transplant them into the pots they will stay in for the next two to three weeks.

I do not water the soil after the transplant from the starter cups until the following day because the transplanted soil from the starter cups are still wet. I also do not use any nutrients in the water just tap water P.H.'d to 6.5. (gassed off of course)

here is a link to my sprout that was a seed six days ago.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Picture_01829.jpg

All in all I believe you are trying too hard.... plant them, give them water and some time, and they will grow on their own, save your nutes til they get their first 5 fingered leaves.

I am a New England native also, so It is nice to see people in my area growing. Hope you don't mind me hangin around your grow journal...TTYL!

Thanks for the support daze!

Ya I was a little frustrated the other day, I just felt like I failed them. Like you said, give them room, I need to follow the K.I.S.S. method haha, just my first grow and all afraid of FN it up.

By all means, the more support the merrier! Glad to have you along :)

Nothing new to note on 3 outta 4 plants, but that one that started curling is REALLY curled now.

How long does it take for them to realize theres not alotta water in there?

Should I transplant it to the vermic/peatmoss mix??

I know K.I.S.S. but im really getting scared, i feel like Ill be down to 2 out of 4 friggen plants.

I gave a friend one of mine and he unknowingly just planted it in regular MG soil and the things like 8" tall in 1 month, kind of makes me feel like all these steps Im taking are a waste :icon_roll

un momento porfavor!

I had a pic earlier in the thread that showed my girl STARTING to curl, but now its rediculous. From everything Ive read, its from overwatering, but since I put them in soil the other day, I havent even given them DROPS of water:confused:

Curling_2.jpg

Its getting progressively worse. Been stirring the soil each day after work to try and get it to all dry out, but to no avail.

Should I get some new seedling/sprout soil, or just make another 10/10/1 batch of vermic/peatmoss/MG organic for these girls as well??

Any help as always MUUUUCH appreciated, again I just feel like Im slowly killing these girls and I do NOT want that, they are my pride and joy!

Curling_2.jpg

Its getting progressively worse. Been stirring the soil each day after work to try and get it to all dry out, but to no avail.

Should I get some new seedling/sprout soil, or just make another 10/10/1 batch of vermic/peatmoss/MG organic for these girls as well??

Any help as always MUUUUCH appreciated, again I just feel like Im slowly killing these girls and I do NOT want that, they are my pride and joy!

Its hard to evaluate your soil from just that picture, but it looks like a harsh environment for a seedling. Just a suggestion - I would transplant them to 16 oz cups with a finer soil for at least 2 weeks. Saturate the new soil and and a few hours later transplant into it. Water when its dry and inch or more. If anyone else can help maybe they can offer a better solution. Im a pretty simple gardener.

When did you last water btw?

Back
Top Bottom