Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Question for anyone with reservoir experience:

I have two reservoirs in my tent. Both are five gallons, with small coco pots on top. One is Cyco nutes, one is Remo nutes, and both are on flower week two by the book on both systems. Both have the identical airstone, pump, and degree of output, and are maintained at the same temperature (67-ish degrees). The only difference is the nute systems.

The Remo reservoir over a week goes down in Ph.

The Cyco reservoir over a week goes up in Ph.

My question is, why?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
First of all, I have no experience when it comes to plants but, in other areas, it’s my understanding that as elements in the water are consumed it changes the co2 and oxygen balance in the water which changes the ph.
So, if your roots have direct access to that water, different plants would consume different things at different rates, thus different ph levels. If you’re talking about a storage res that is isolated from the plant entirely, I have no dam clue other than maybe temperature.
My knowledge of it is very limited and I’m sure there are many other people here more qualified to answer this bit, I chimed in anyway lol
Your grow is amazing man, keep up the great work!

Question for anyone with reservoir experience:

I have two reservoirs in my tent. Both are five gallons, with small coco pots on top. One is Cyco nutes, one is Remo nutes, and both are on flower week two by the book on both systems. Both have the identical airstone, pump, and degree of output, and are maintained at the same temperature (67-ish degrees). The only difference is the nute systems.

The Remo reservoir over a week goes down in Ph.

The Cyco reservoir over a week goes up in Ph.

My question is, why?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
What do you feed of each line? Is EC and pH identical on both when you fill up a new reservoir? Different plant foods have different ingredients and feed strength according to their schedules.

We need a little bit more info to answer the question.

Cheers!

Wow. I wish I had whatever it takes to document my grows on a daily basis like this. I just don’t, lol. But many do, and it’s just gotta help to not have to keep all that information in your head. I have tended to solve this problem by over posting in my journals and using them to document my grows. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And since I’ve learned that the servers and hosting here are handled by one of the largest and best companies in Canada, I feel like they’ll last forever.
:)

"I'll do it when I get around to it." - understand completely. I'm a software engineer and I write business software (front end + backend/database) so I deal with data all the time. I use Excel for my grow journals and then post into 420.

Where from in CA? I went to college in NB.

Fun fact for the day, which I just by chance learned from the boss himself today: this site is 10,000,000 pages!!! That’s TEN MILLION PAGES. Goddamn.
Amazing — and here's to the next 10 million!

Different plant foods have different ingredients
I think this might be the answer. If one has say calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate, and the other has magnesium nitrate and different sources of calcium and sulfur then couldn't the uptake change the ph in different ways?

I think this might be the answer. If one has say calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate, and the other has magnesium nitrate and different sources of calcium and sulfur then couldn't the uptake change the ph in different ways?

Perhaps this will help.

pH Change Due to Ion Cation Exchange in Res.png

Perhaps this will help.

pH Change Due to Ion Cation Exchange in Res.png
Exactly. The chemical properties, including ph, of the chemicals left behind could be different based on what other chemicals they're bonded to.

IMG_1783.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

I had about 10 minutes yo do a little defol today. Dropped the light slightly after this. Starting to see a path but yeah this is way behind the last grow in here now.

I’ll look in a moment but that’s this Day #51 Oh wait Day #14 post flip.

That's Ok, thought I'd lost a week somewhere. I have in real life to be honest but the plants have just got on with it. The rest of the 50 odd plants days out from harvest I really haven't thought of much. Super busy. Sucks.

Anyway - tonight and another 48 hours and maybe I can breath easier.

Oh anyone that might be interested for any reason whatsoever - Jon is to be considered the author of this journal - if you check he you will see he made the first post. Make of it what you will!

Nick

IMG_1783.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

I had about 10 minutes yo do a little defol today. Dropped the light slightly after this. Starting to see a path but yeah this is way behind the last grow in here now.

That's Ok, thought I'd lost a week somewhere. I have in real life to be honest but the plants have just got on with it. The rest of the 50 odd plants days out from harvest I really haven't thought of much. Super busy. Sucks.

Oh anyone that might be interested for any reason whatsoever - Jon is to be considered the author of this journal - if you check he you will see he made the first post. Make of it what you will!

Nick
Hope everything goes well for you buddy.
A nice break is in order.
Eventually. :rofl:
Hugs to everyone. :hug:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

What do you feed of each line? Is EC and pH identical on both when you fill up a new reservoir? Different plant foods have different ingredients and feed strength according to their schedules.

We need a little bit more info to answer the question.

Cheers!
Thanks @Wastei - of course you do, forgive me I was in a rush when I posted that question.

Both reservoirs when I change them begin at 5.6 ph and I let it rise from there. (Although as I said the Remo drops) They change out the same day weekly. I feed both lines by their chart to the letter (the advanced chart for Cyco) although the runoff runs into the res by design, so I try to keep it to minimal runoff but that likely has an impact as well. And no, the EC (this can be expressed in ppm, yes?) is higher with the Cyco. The Remo starts at roughly 1230 ppm, and the Cyco at roughly 1340 (they suggest 1450! I’m scared! So I mix to their specs but use 5.5 gallons in the res).

Is that enough information? I think the answer has already been given. Duh. Of course two different strains will consume things at different rates, difference number one. Of course the difference of starting point of ppm is going to matter, difference number two. Any gray area in terms of my measuring that might start from exact a bit will also have an impact (for example, I use less Remo Astro Flower in flower than recommended), difference number three. That’s already enough, I get it, it was kind of a dumb question. But please correct me or augment this at will, and thanks.

:)

"I'll do it when I get around to it." - understand completely. I'm a software engineer and I write business software (front end + backend/database) so I deal with data all the time. I use Excel for my grow journals and then post into 420.

Where from in CA? I went to college in NB.

Amazing — and here's to the next 10 million!
I don’t know where in CA it is, the boss described it as I related and I didn’t get further details. Figured he had better things to do than deal with question asking Jon. Lmao!

I have a beginning response before I saw this, but I’d say yeah, that too!

IMG_1783.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

Nick
Thanks Nick, that’s cool, and nice of you to offer to do that.

Thanks Nick, that’s cool, and nice of you to offer to do that.
Also I know from being as busy as a one armed paper hanger, and having as hard a time as a one legged fireman trying to kick down a barn door. Lmao. Some standards, but still funny. Luckily, in my case my penance is almost over. Mom is pretty much walking by herself. In home PT and all that scheduling and such is over. All the doctor visits and new prescriptions are updated and in hand. I fixed her damn computer. We have an established routine. So the sum of all that is that in a couple days I get to get back to normal, and do things like visit other journals, write the review I owe Valerie, etc.

Also I know from being as busy as a one armed paper hanger, and having as hard a time as a one legged fireman trying to kick down a barn door. Lmao. Some standards, but still funny. Luckily, in my case my penance is almost over. Mom is pretty much walking by herself. In home PT and all that scheduling and such is over. All the doctor visits and new prescriptions are updated and in hand. I fixed her damn computer. We have an established routine. So the sum of all that is that in a couple days I get to get back to normal, and do things like visit other journals, write the review I owe Valerie, etc.
Love the good news.
Haven't chatted in ages.
Glad to see your still a star buddy. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

So, let’s take a peek in a little more photographic detail at the Jungle as she is today, Day 47.

Here’s a group shot and a canopy shot of the Jungle as a whole:

I engaged my flower booster feature on the light today. This increases the wattage from 550 to 680. It also brings in reds, far reds, IR and a couple UV diodes. As such I raised the light accordingly. Here’s what my light bars look like with the booster engaged. You can see there are a ton of reds. This gives me the red leaning overhead, augmented with the regular full spectrum from the side lights. They are still at 25% and will bump up to 50% (cursed incremental dimmer, lol) when all the plants have buds and have stacked a while and such.

Here’s the Northern Lights semi organic auto:

And some cola shots - here’s the Bruce Banner #3 auto:

This is the Gorilla Cookies auto in the coco 10:

Here’s the Skywalker semi organic auto:

Here’s the state of the Apple Fritter coco/res girl, not quite showing budlets yet:

This is the gorgeous Trizkit with her gigantic fan leaves, emerald green color, and unruly nature, not yet in flower (whoa!), but almost there. If I’m going to have a problem and have to chop branches I wouldn’t otherwise chop it’s this girl right here:

And so we go. My undercarriage work is finished except for stragglers. All infrastructure is solid and in place. All the plants are healthy. Defol as required is about all I do now, and watch the show: phew.

So, let’s take a peek in a little more photographic detail at the Jungle as she is today, Day 47.

Here’s a group shot and a canopy shot of the Jungle as a whole:

I engaged my flower booster feature on the light today. This increases the wattage from 550 to 680. It also brings in reds, far reds, IR and a couple UV diodes. As such I raised the light accordingly. Here’s what my light bars look like with the booster engaged. You can see there are a ton of reds. This gives me the red leaning overhead, augmented with the regular full spectrum from the side lights. They are still at 25% and will bump up to 50% (cursed incremental dimmer, lol) when all the plants have buds and have stacked a while and such.

Here’s the Northern Lights semi organic auto:

And some cola shots - here’s the Bruce Banner #3 auto:

This is the Gorilla Cookies auto in the coco 10:

Here’s the Skywalker semi organic auto:

Here’s the state of the Apple Fritter coco/res girl, not quite showing budlets yet:

This is the gorgeous Trizkit with her gigantic fan leaves, emerald green color, and unruly nature, not yet in flower (whoa!), but almost there. If I’m going to have a problem and have to chop branches I wouldn’t otherwise chop it’s this girl right here:

And so we go. My undercarriage work is finished except for stragglers. All infrastructure is solid and in place. All the plants are healthy. Defol as required is about all I do now, and watch the show: phew.
Beauteous!

My contribution this evening:

Can't read the article, but they sell THC infused beverages up here.
Seltzer type things, 10mg THC max applies, but lots of lower potencies are available so people can treat it more like beer.
Apparently there are ways to make it pass into the bloodstream faster than edibles if it's in liquid form, aside from the effects of carbonation.
I was a bit underwhelmed by them.

Back
Top Bottom