Beginner: How are the plants looking? Advice, recommendations etc.

I agree, wait for now. During my first grow on coco i transplanted around the time where you are at now. It was way too early, there was barely any rootball, hence the coco fell apart. Also, you can look underneath the fabric pot. When a lot of roottips are poking through, you'll know the roots have colonized the pots.

Those roots actually grab into the fabric so you have to rip them loose during transplant. Use a long knife to cut between the fabric sides and the medium to cut them loose. This way, only the bottom roots will have some grip. Another option is to cut vertically through the fabric on two sides, so you can open the pots and remove the plants easily. Then, use hairpins to put them back together for a next grow or be a perfectionist and sew zippers on it :lot-o-toke:

I agree, wait for now. During my first grow on coco i transplanted around the time where you are at now. It was way too early, there was barely any rootball, hence the coco fell apart. Also, you can look underneath the fabric pot. When a lot of roottips are poking through, you'll know the roots have colonized the pots.

Those roots actually grab into the fabric so you have to rip them loose during transplant. Use a long knife to cut between the fabric sides and the medium to cut them loose. This way, only the bottom roots will have some grip. Another option is to cut vertically through the fabric on two sides, so you can open the pots and remove the plants easily. Then, use hairpins to put them back together for a next grow or be a perfectionist and sew zippers on it :lot-o-toke:
Thanks for the reply, its really helpful. I appreciate the help.
The fabric pots they're in now i made from a 5 gallon fabric pot that I cut up and glued together with an iron and some hemming tape thats normally used to take trousers and jeans up then once they were put together I turned them inside out. I dont think I should have much problem splitting the seams where the hemming tape is then can wash them out and put them back together for the next grow.

Thanks for the reply, its really helpful. I appreciate the help.
The fabric pots they're in now i made from a 5 gallon fabric pot that I cut up and glued together with an iron and some hemming tape thats normally used to take trousers and jeans up then once they were put together I turned them inside out. I dont think I should have much problem splitting the seams where the hemming tape is then can wash them out and put them back together for the next grow.
Ah, nice! That will probably be a lot easier indeed.

Just noticed some roots coming through the fabric pots already

20210114_234016.jpg

20210114_233953.jpg

Im not a pro by any means, im on my first grow, just wanted to welcome u here, some great folks with tons of awesome advise! Your early pix looked perfect to me, great leaf development, and good height for the amount of time they have been alive. Later pix look like they are in a 1 gallon soft spot, and from the size of plant id say u are close to transplanting. I had mine start in little solo cups then into 20 oz styrofoam cups before the final transplant into 3 gallon soft pots. Someone on here saw mine in the 20 oz cups and warned me that they may be root bound. I was totally amazed at how much root wrap there was when I took them out, rule of thumb: when outer leafs reach edge of pot its time! Enjoy!

Heres mine just before transplant, and that cup was full of roots. Last pic is my babies yesterday. They were all grown in Coco-loco with nothing but Cal-mag added for nutes, I will use it every time now, very easy and stress free growing for my dumb butt!

Black Water 2,,, 11-30-20.JPG

A crew 1.JPG

Im not a pro by any means, im on my first grow, just wanted to welcome u here, some great folks with tons of awesome advise! Your early pix looked perfect to me, great leaf development, and good height for the amount of time they have been alive. Later pix look like they are in a 1 gallon soft spot, and from the size of plant id say u are close to transplanting. I had mine start in little solo cups then into 20 oz styrofoam cups before the final transplant into 3 gallon soft pots. Someone on here saw mine in the 20 oz cups and warned me that they may be root bound. I was totally amazed at how much root wrap there was when I took them out, rule of thumb: when outer leafs reach edge of pot its time! Enjoy!

Heres mine just before transplant, and that cup was full of roots. Last pic is my babies yesterday. They were all grown in Coco-loco with nothing but Cal-mag added for nutes, I will use it every time now, very easy and stress free growing for my dumb butt!

Thank you, welcome also if your new here too. The members here have made me feel really welcome and have to say I can see myself really liking the forum.
Im not entirely sure the size of the pots the plants are in as I made them from a 5 gallon fabric pot but I think they are much less than 1 gallon. Some pics for comparison and the final 20L hempy buckets the plants will be transplanted into.

EDIT:
Sorry I thought you said they look like they were in 1 gallon soft pots. Instead you meant they are at that stage to be transplanted into a 1 gallon pot.
The plants will be going directly into the 20L hempy buckets.

20210116_173426.jpg

20210116_173327.jpg

20210116_173308.jpg

Well I cannot help with the coco grow medium I use soil. But with that being said they look well. It seems that you have a handle on your nutes :morenutes: and all. Here is a link that I feel would be helpful to help you monitor the environment during the different stages of growth. VPD :nerd-with-glasses:
Thank you.
The temp and humidity always drop whenever I open the tent.
At the moment the temp is 23.5 and humidity is 80.4%. I'm assuming this is fine for the stage the plants are at now.

Screenshot_20210118-140652_Govee Home.jpg

The chart I use. Cross reference the temp with the rh and you have the transpiration rate for the plant. The different colors are Blue: Seedlings/Early growth Green: Veg /early flower Yellow: Late flower Red: DANGER

From what you posted I would recommend reducing the RH. 23.5C with 80% RH is in the RED zone you want Blue
vpd-chart.gif

The chart I use. Cross reference the temp with the rh and you have the transpiration rate for the plant. The different colors are Blue: Seedlings/Early growth Green: Veg /early flower Yellow: Late flower Red: DANGER

From what you posted I would recommend reducing the RH. 23.5C with 80% RH is in the RED zone you want Blue
vpd-chart.gif
How would i go about using the chart ?

I think I somewhat understand that you take the temp then the humidity and the point where they link on the chart will give you the transpiration rate.

Going by the chart and my temp and humidity when cross referenced its in the red, im guessing its not good ?

Follow temp horizontally until you get to the rh in the vertical column and the intersection is the VPD rate. I go by the colors and right now you want the temp/rh to intersect in the blue to green area. Air flow throughout the grow area can help to lower the rh. Right after you water them the RH will rise slightly so a slow rise and fall are acceptable as long as it settles back.

Back
Top Bottom