Beginner: How are the plants looking? Advice, recommendations etc.

MGD420

So the plants are around 9 days old.
I'm a newbie to growing so don't know a huge deal. What I would like to know is if the plants look healthy, poorly, overfed, not enough, too much light etc any and all advice and recommendations are welcome.

I want to try look after my girls to the best of my ability but as a new grower I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm doing.

Plants are growing in canna coco professional with perlite, will be getting transferred into 20L hempy buckets with hydrocorn as the base with roughly 25% perlite 75% coco mix when they are good to transplant.

Was feeding with tap water pH to 5.8 - 6.0

Today I fed them a small amount of nutes, Canna A+B with an EC of 0.2 and then pH to 5.8. Did not add any canna calmag agent.

The coco is wetter than normal as they were just fed before the pics were taken.

Each plant in the pics have been numbered so its easier for reference.

Thanks

20210109_153113.jpg

20210109_153038.jpg

20210109_152955.jpg

20210109_152927.jpg

20210109_152757.jpg

20210109_152717.jpg

Would suggest that you put a small fan on them to help build stem strength.

Coco is considered a soilless medium, there for it being a hydro grow. You’re tap water being 5.8 for a ph, is perfect. That’s the ideal ph for coco.

coo can’t really be over watered. It being in the hydro category, the roots basically live in water.

they should be fed daily with the BLT feeding technique. Can Go up to two times a day in flower.

coco also holds zero nutritional value, so feeding with nutrients every time you water is a must!! :thumb:

Coco is considered a soilless medium, there for it being a hydro grow. You’re tap water being 5.8 for a ph, is perfect. That’s the ideal ph for coco.

coo can’t really be over watered. It being in the hydro category, the roots basically live in water.

they should be fed daily with the BLT feeding technique. Can Go up to two times a day in flower.

coco also holds zero nutritional value, so feeding with nutrients every time you water is a must!! :thumb:

The pH of my tap water is around 7.3, although I have hydroponic pH up/down there, its super concentrated and really strong as its meant to be diluted in large quantities of water so have been using lemon juice to bring the pH down to 5.8. I have noticed the pH of the water with nutes rises again the next again day and just drop it again with some lemon juice. After a couple of days I ditch the water with nutes and make new stuff.

Theres so much conflicting information out there regarding feeding in coco. That was my understanding also with coco that its almost impossible to overfeeding with water but I was told elsewhere not on 420 magazine to feed less. Could the leaves slightly drooping every so often be underfeeding as apposed to overfeeding ?

What is BLT feeding technique ?

I have the canna a+b nutes there with canna calmag agent but just bought the advanced nutrients pH perfect - Grow, Bloom, micro nutes.

The pH of my tap water is around 7.3, although I have hydroponic pH up/down there, its super concentrated and really strong as its meant to be diluted in large quantities of water so have been using lemon juice to bring the pH down to 5.8. I have noticed the pH of the water with nutes rises again the next again day and just drop it again with some lemon juice. After a couple of days I ditch the water with nutes and make new stuff.

Theres so much conflicting information out there regarding feeding in coco. That was my understanding also with coco that its almost impossible to overfeeding with water but I was told elsewhere not on 420 magazine to feed less. Could the leaves slightly drooping every so often be underfeeding as apposed to overfeeding ?

What is BLT feeding technique ?

I have the canna a+b nutes there with canna calmag agent but just bought the advanced nutrients pH perfect - Grow, Bloom, micro nutes.
It could be a mixture of things. It could be under watered, over watered, problems with the roots, light intensity, light heat...

I don’t think it’s overwatering, as it’s nearly impossible to overwater in coco. Best thing to do is just listen to you’re plants. Figure out the best timing for you and roll with it.

the BLT feeding technique is located in my signature. Go check it out. :thumb:

I'm in the wet/slightly dry cyclus camp, at least for the seedling and early veg stages. After trying high frequency fertigation during my first grow on coco while in seedling stage (fertigation two to three times a day), the seedlings started to look droopy and they really looked overwatered after about a week. Also, a bunch of green algae was growing at the top of the medium (lot of perlite turned green). From that point on, I used a wet/slightly dry cycle for seedling and early veg. I'll wait until the very top of the coco becomes a bit lighter brown before next fertigation. It depends on your pot size, plant size, temp and RH how often you'll need to fertigate, it can be every day or every three days. While the plants grow, you'll notice they start to drink more and you can fertigate more frequently. When they are in late veg or when switching to flower light cycle, you can basically fertigate as much as necessary to keep the coco at least 90% hydrated. They can literally use up a liter in a few hours.

I think for high frequency fertigation from the start, you'll need to be spot on with everything: pot size, nutrients mix, temps, RH, light intensity, etc. Maybe a root simulator is also a must, but I'm not sure about that. You need a solid transfer regime for uppotting. For a beginner like me, it's unlikely I have everything correct and I feel keeping the coco wet all the time in early stages of the grow, will not result in faster growth, as I have other bottlenecks holding me back. Also, I feel it increases the risk of problems like algae, funges gnats and maybe, possibly, tho very controversial, some kind of overwatering/suffocating the plant.

I'm in the wet/slightly dry cyclus camp, at least for the seedling and early veg stages. After trying high frequency fertigation during my first grow on coco while in seedling stage (fertigation two to three times a day), the seedlings started to look droopy and they really looked overwatered after about a week. Also, a bunch of green algae was growing at the top of the medium (lot of perlite turned green). From that point on, I used a wet/slightly dry cycle for seedling and early veg. I'll wait until the very top of the coco becomes a bit lighter brown before next fertigation. It depends on your pot size, plant size, temp and RH how often you'll need to fertigate, it can be every day or every three days. While the plants grow, you'll notice they start to drink more and you can fertigate more frequently. When they are in late veg or when switching to flower light cycle, you can basically fertigate as much as necessary to keep the coco at least 90% hydrated. They can literally use up a liter in a few hours.

I think for high frequency fertigation from the start, you'll need to be spot on with everything: pot size, nutrients mix, temps, RH, light intensity, etc. Maybe a root simulator is also a must, but I'm not sure about that. You need a solid transfer regime for uppotting. For a beginner like me, it's unlikely I have everything correct and I feel keeping the coco wet all the time in early stages of the grow, will not result in faster growth, as I have other bottlenecks holding me back. Also, I feel it increases the risk of problems like algae, funges gnats and maybe, possibly, tho very controversial, some kind of overwatering/suffocating the plant.
Thanks for the reply.

I have been feeding the plants twice per day, once in the morning then once at night and always check the coco to see if it needs water, the plants seem to be doing fine and have grown 2 - 3 times the size since I posted this, at the beginning I did feed them more but now I have cut back on the amount I feed them.
I'm guessing I might need to transplant them soon.

Hi buddy. There is 2 small fans on either side of the plants already. Are the plants looking leggy or is the length of the stems normal for 9 days.

Thanks
Nice stocky girls friend. I think they will make you proud.

Thanks. Any idea when I should transplant them in the hempy buckets.
I go coco to the end but from what I understand if you have a decent root ball it should be good to go. I'd let it build some more personally, but hopefully someone with more experience can advise. :peace:

I go coco to the end but from what I understand if you have a decent root ball it should be good to go. I'd let it build some more personally, but hopefully someone with more experience can advise. :peace:

The hempys will be a mix of coco and perlite so they will be in the same medium until harvest. I work unsociable hours so went with hempys incase I wasn't at home to feed my girls. Wouldn't want them going hungry while I was away from home especially as they start to get bigger. Thanks, I'll leave them for another week or two and see how big they get

Back
Top Bottom