Bentley's DIY Aeroponic HPA, Northern Lights Auto, Grow Journal Jan 2021

I have some new data to share...

One of the main challenges I have experienced with this grow is determining the optimal feeding schedule. There are many posts with references to mister timings but I have not been able to find a source that appears to be using any type of scientific method. Some say they can read the plant while others just use what someone else was using in terms of cycle times so it appears that most people are guessing. I can't help but to remind myself that the plant will grow even if the roots are submerged in solution so how are we to understand the impact of providing the optimal levels? I would feel better if I could quantify this data a little more so this I would like to explore this in more detail...

First, find your starting point. This should be based on the strain, quantity of plants, light intensity, brand of nutrients, growth stage and overall environmental conditions. If you do your research, you will likely get somewhere close but I believe this should only be your starting point and as I share this story further I think you will see how a little tweaking can go a long way to unlocking potential in your plant.

OK, so for my case I started with pretty aggressive cycle times in the early stages of growth and this is mostly because you have a relatively small footprint to absorb nutrients with when your plant is small and has a undeveloped root structure. As the plant grows, you should have more surface area available in the root zone so most people will want to make some changes as you push through various stages of growth (each phase will have different demands for nutrients). For most of my grow, I have been using a 5 second on and 5 minute off cycle. This is pretty common but I believe most people are unaware of many variables out there like the number of misters, the flow rate of those misters, number of plants being fed, appetite for those specific plants, etc... In my example,, 5 seconds on is about 23ml but that is unique to my specific hardware and configuration whereas you may need more or less depending on yours. I am confident we can benefit from zeroing in on optimal levels but how do we do this? I really don't know, but below is the best solution I have found for moving in the right direction.

Once you have a starting point and you feel like your plants are at least looking healthy, it is time to see if you can zero in on the optimal needs for your specific environment. I did this by monitoring both the waste EC levels and the overall consumption by the plant. In my case, it may be a little easier as I have only one plant so the math is basic. I have weeks of logged journals that tell me exactly how much nutrient solution my plant consumes (and I have zero evaporation) so this can be calculated easily by documenting the levels in your reservoir at various points in time. If you are using a drain to waste solution, consider draining to a second stage reservoir where you can make some calculations before you dispose of it.

Remember, everyone will have different numbers so don't use mine; yours will be different. I have one Northern Lights Autoflower that is in week 8 of flower so I have plenty of data collected from the grow to help me feel confident that my plant is consuming 1.25 gal (4721ml) daily (at this phase). This has been very consistent for the last 2 weeks of growth but remember this would change when transitioning from seedling to veg, and then to flower. So now I know how much nutrient is being consumed so the next piece of the puzzle is to understand how much you are delivering to the plant. If you have specs for your pump/nozzles you may be able to use documented numbers but my recommendation is the take your own measurements and do this often to identify trends or changes over time. You can even diagnose a clogged nozzle without ever looking in the root chamber if your measurements are precise.

I did this by removing my nutrient reservoir return line from the root chamber and turned on my misters. I left them on long enough to essentially get a steady stream coming out of the root chamber return line. You want this to be steady so give it time to stabilize and then use a small jar to collect the run-off for a 10 second interval. Take a couple of samples and average them for an overall flow rate. Mine was 45ml/10 seconds. This equates to 4.5ml/second. Now, make some calculations using your current timer settings to determine how much nutrient you are spaying on the plant over a 24 hour time period. A simple formula is (86400/<off timing in seconds>*amount of ml delivered during the <on timing cycle>). This should give you the total nutrient delivered in 24 hrs. Using this data along with your actual quantity returning to your reservoir will tell if how much your plant is absorbing .vs how much you are delivering. In my case, I was delivering 25% more nutrient than the plant was consuming.

This is where I think things get a little interesting. Most of our hydro guys out there will say no bid deal, it returns to the reservoir to be reused on another cycle right? I have to say no, and I believe this because there is a big difference between aeroponics and DWC even though both are classified as a hydroponic solution. The concept of aeroponics is to provide a very specific amount of moisture to the roots. If you exceed this amount, I personally believe you are drifting towards the efficiency zone of a hydroponic style grow (to a degree that can be argued). If you are getting enough moisture to allow it to combine and drip down the root structure, that is too much and the reason why I believe we see the standard "fishbone" style of photos of roots. With that in mind, my plant was only able to absorb 75% of what was coming out of the misters. That other 25% is doing exactly what I don't want - it is combining with other moisture molecules and forming a droplet that is running down the root structure to drain. I believe on a macro level this is limiting the amount of oxygen the roots can absorb and limiting your plants potential. That is what we are talking about here right? - POTENTIAL.

To close on this, I used all the data referenced above and reduced the total amount of nutrients delivered (in a 24 hr. period) by 20% and at the same time made some new calculations to deliver that quantity evenly over the 24 hour time period so this means I reduced my mister on time and also reduced my off time but made sure the overall numbers still give the plant what it needs over the time period. The result: My plant still consumes 1.25 gal. but with my new timer settings the plant is now consuming 95% of what is coming out of the sprayers. I do not want to skirt the line too close just yet but I am planning on seeing how close I can get and observing the impact it has on the plant. My best guess is that it is more efficient and should unlock more potential from the plant.

I will be the first to say this is totally experimental, I wish it was as easy as someone giving me numbers to use but this is the best I can come up with to zero in on the best timer cycles for my specific conditions. Don't forget, your numbers will be totally different so you can't use mine. You have to make your own calculations but I can say this. After making the changes I referenced I can see a significant change in my plants growth and appearance (even this late in flower) - I have brand new buds popping out the top of my current buds. This is all in the last 24 hours! I wish I had considered some of this theory earlier but I am new and this is my first attempt at something like this so take the information with a grain of salt and apply what is helpful and discard the rest.

Here are some pics of where she sits today but not much overall change from recent photos...

20210302_170935.jpg

20210302_171140.jpg

20210302_171125.jpg

20210302_171117.jpg

I noticed some foxtailing so I backed the lights off a little. I was assuming the plant is getting somewhere around 950 PPFD so I backed it off to 850 to see if they stop but not totally convinced it is the lights. I figured the lights were the weakest part of my build so it will be interesting to see if this helps? I don't have a real quantum sensor but have used a couple different conversions with my smart phone and all point to that general area.

Tomorrow marks the end of week 8 of flower and we are watching the trichomes daily. We are targeting a mature harvest so waiting to see more amber.

Day 118 - density is almost max'd out:

Screenshot_20210306-222511_Gallery.jpg

I just read through this entire journal. HOLY SHIT man. What an amazing grow. You must have the means to solve any problem as it arises with whatever the best product available is for that issue. That's what it seems from reading the journal. That's a nice position to be in, and I love your solutions. The one to keep the buds up is really cool. I don't do hydro I'm a soil guy, but I've seen a ton of systems and you seem to have it pretty dialed in. Your roots speak for themselves. They're amazing. And the grow and yield you're getting is straight up INCREDIBLE. I too have a hard time believing this is your first grow, but then I look at my first and you'd be impressed looking at the pics too even though I made a ton of errors and had nowhere near the yield I should have. You must have done a TON of research, which is super cool. Man after my own heart. Your equipment is AMAZING. Really nice job on the setup. I'm a huge fan of OCD-esque setups and this is a great one.

WOW.

I am on for the ride and I cannot wait to see what your final yield is. Incredible man, really. WHOA.

Oh BTW - I know your humidifier is on a much bigger scale, but I got a small one to put inside the tent to pump the humidity for the first two weeks of growth when I wanted it at 70%. It works beautifully. But I also considered the question of the white damn streaking because I had seen many people saying it was an issue in the reviews. I also went immediately to distilled water. Expensive. Not sustainable. But you know what is and works perfectly? The water dispenser in your refrigerator door (if you have one of those). Those have a filter. I use it to fill my reservoir. But mine's only a gallon and even that takes forever out of the fridge. It beats paying for gallon after gallon of distilled water. I would imagine any filtered water line would eliminate those white stripes.

I just read through this entire journal. HOLY SHIT man. What an amazing grow. You must have the means to solve any problem as it arises with whatever the best product available is for that issue. That's what it seems from reading the journal. That's a nice position to be in, and I love your solutions. The one to keep the buds up is really cool. I don't do hydro I'm a soil guy, but I've seen a ton of systems and you seem to have it pretty dialed in. Your roots speak for themselves. They're amazing. And the grow and yield you're getting is straight up INCREDIBLE. I too have a hard time believing this is your first grow, but then I look at my first and you'd be impressed looking at the pics too even though I made a ton of errors and had nowhere near the yield I should have. You must have done a TON of research, which is super cool. Man after my own heart. Your equipment is AMAZING. Really nice job on the setup. I'm a huge fan of OCD-esque setups and this is a great one.

WOW.

I am on for the ride and I cannot wait to see what your final yield is. Incredible man, really. WHOA.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading through yours as well. This is my first indoor grow and I made a lot of mistakes along the way but have some grand plans for Rev 2.0. I feel like there isn't much room for more density so the next question will be the quality but I do believe I can do better on the next run

...but just may find that I got lucky on this one?

Thanks, I enjoyed reading through yours as well. This is my first indoor grow and I made a lot of mistakes along the way but have some grand plans for Rev 2.0. I feel like there isn't much room for more density so the next question will be the quality but I do believe I can do better on the next run

...but just may find that I got lucky on this one?
If I were you, I would give myself a little more credit than that you got lucky. I can see how much work you put into it. That's not luck, that's how it's done. It's really impressive. I'm very happy with my second so far and on every level the difference between this grow and my first is immense. At this point it would be impossible just about for me to not absolutely destroy my first grow. And as I go I amass more knowledge and see solutions for issues that I can employ next time for grow number three. I'm addicted as hell. I love every single step of the process. Even something that's nothing more than pure labor, like mixing soil. It's all a labor of love. My friends are my bottom line of how I did. They're all lifetime smokers. If they tell me I grew great weed I grew great weed. First time, despite the errors, I got very positive reviews. I just really hate spending hundreds of dollars a month at the dispensaries. Lol.

I also went immediately to distilled water. Expensive. Not sustainable. But you know what is and works perfectly? The water dispenser in your refrigerator door (if you have one of those). Those have a filter. I use it to fill my reservoir. But mine's only a gallon and even that takes forever out of the fridge. It beats paying for gallon after gallon of distilled water. I would imagine any filtered water line would eliminate those white stripes.

I think most people should assess their individual environment (before starting your grow) to determine possible pitfalls like this. I am embarrassed to show this but it is a good lesson so I will share it. Each bottle in the picture below is 2.5 gallons of distilled water and costs around $3.50 each (this only represents half of what I consumed) . Needless to say, I grew through the winter and with the heater on in sub-zero weather the demand increases . I plan to purchase a commercial water distiller (restaurant quality) for the future grows by wanted to be sure I have a working system before making that kind of investment. This was my pilot run and I expected to lose this plant long ago. I actually only germinated 1 seed to help me work out the bugs...

20210310_123541.jpg

We are closing out week 9 of flower this weekend and she is still pushing out white pistils all through the plant. This is honestly the first time I have actually paid attention to the trichomes and I would have normally harvested a week ago based on looks. This really illustrates how easy it is to harvest too soon and miss out on a lot of yield. She is still filling in and bulking up, but slowly.

I have a lot of milky now and and waiting for some amber to show evenly over the plant. We are going to give her the time she wants to ripen evenly before the chop. I made some more changes to my timer cycles and feel like I have a good balance by evaluating the runoff but still see a nutrient buildup every week or so. I confirmed the current schedule with the manufacturer but an planning to reduce gradually to see how the plants respond in the next run.

Here is where she sits today, not much change but I do still see some foxtailing even after backing my lights off a little so I don't think it is related to heat or light. I read somewhere that CO2 supplementation can have an impact on foxtailing in late flower? I am conflicted; feel like I should try to reduce it but at the same time it is a sign of growth and biomass. I have some that that look like fingers growing out of the bud but others look good (stacking evenly across the flower). I read some theories that CO2 in late flower can slow the ripening process which makes me wonder if that can be beneficial in terms of increasing yield?

Who knows? ... so many questions.

Day 124 - week 9 of flower

Screenshot_20210313-001815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210313-002325_Gallery.jpg

We are closing out week 9 of flower this weekend and she is still pushing out white pistils all through the plant. This is honestly the first time I have actually paid attention to the trichomes and I would have normally harvested a week ago based on looks. This really illustrates how easy it is to harvest too soon and miss out on a lot of yield. She is still filling in and bulking up, but slowly.

I have a lot of milky now and and waiting for some amber to show evenly over the plant. We are going to give her the time she wants to ripen evenly before the chop. I made some more changes to my timer cycles and feel like I have a good balance by evaluating the runoff but still see a nutrient buildup every week or so. I confirmed the current schedule with the manufacturer but an planning to reduce gradually to see how the plants respond in the next run.

Here is where she sits today, not much change but I do still see some foxtailing even after backing my lights off a little so I don't think it is related to heat or light. I read somewhere that CO2 supplementation can have an impact on foxtailing in late flower? I am conflicted; feel like I should try to reduce it but at the same time it is a sign of growth and biomass. I have some that that look like fingers growing out of the bud but others look good (stacking evenly across the flower). I read some theories that CO2 in late flower can slow the ripening process which makes me wonder if that can be beneficial in terms of increasing yield?

Who knows? ... so many questions.

Day 124 - week 9 of flower

Screenshot_20210313-001815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210313-002325_Gallery.jpg
My god man, what a grow. That looks amazing. Your yield is going to be ridiculous. Sweet ass job man. Really really impressive. I'm more of harvest when I see the first amber trichome guy. Just cuz I like coke weed. Lol.

It was time for a flush today so while I had everything apart I decided to find a way to more precisely measure the level of the nutrients in my reservoir. I recently treated myself to an electric pipette since I am always dosing so much and really happy I did. It makes measuring all my nutrients actually fun and conveniently reaches the lower parts of my nutrient bottles when they get low. While playing with it I got to thinking about the pipettes they use...

Screenshot_20210316-201349_Gallery.jpg

I picked up a few different volume pipettes (10ml, 25ml, 50ml) to experiment with and noticed the 25ml one was approximately the same diameter as the water gauge tubing on my bucket. I was hoping I could replace that simple tube with the graduated pipette to make it easier to monitor precise levels so I cut a smaller piece of hose and inserted the bottom (tapered edge) of the pipette down into the hose. It was a perfect fit

Screenshot_20210316-201225_Gallery.jpg

Now, I was preparing for some crazy greek math equation to convert the graduations on the pipette into meaningful numbers for my volume but when I started refilling the reservoir, I was surprised to discover that each graduation on the pipette (25ml 2/10) measured exactly 100ml. I am not sure how I got so lucky but this is perfect for my processes so I wanted to share it with everyone that might want to do something similar.

Screenshot_20210316-201117_Gallery.jpg

I found some inexpensive plastic (25ml 2/10) pipettes Here for less than $2 so this is a quick easy hack that you will enjoy every time you look at your levels. This electric pipette gun is a little more extravagant but still worth every penny when you consider how much dosing you actually do over a entire grow.

Screenshot_20210316-200959_Gallery.jpg

20210316_181025.jpg

If anyone wants a link to the pipette, let me know and I will see if I can find it.

It was time for a flush today so while I had everything apart I decided to find a way to more precisely measure the level of the nutrients in my reservoir. I recently treated myself to an electric pipette since I am always dosing so much and really happy I did. It makes measuring all my nutrients actually fun and conveniently reaches the lower parts of my nutrient bottles when they get low. While playing with it I got to thinking about the pipettes they use...

Screenshot_20210316-201349_Gallery.jpg

I picked up a few different volume pipettes (10ml, 25ml, 50ml) to experiment with and noticed the 25ml one was approximately the same diameter as the water gauge tubing on my bucket. I was hoping I could replace that simple tube with the graduated pipette to make it easier to monitor precise levels so I cut a smaller piece of hose and inserted the bottom (tapered edge) of the pipette down into the hose. It was a perfect fit

Screenshot_20210316-201225_Gallery.jpg

Now, I was preparing for some advanced Greek math formula to try and convert the graduations into meaningful numbers but when I started refilling the reservoir, I was surprised to discover that each graduation on the pipette (25ml 2/10) measured exactly 100ml. I am not sure how I got so lucky but this is perfect for my processes so I wanted to share it with everyone.

Screenshot_20210316-201117_Gallery.jpg

I found some inexpensive plastic (25ml 2/10) pipettes online for less than $2 so this is a quick easy hack that you will enjoy every time you look at your levels. This electric pipette gun is a little more extravagant but still worth every penny when you consider how much dosing you actually do over a entire grow.

Screenshot_20210316-200959_Gallery.jpg

20210316_181025.jpg

If anyone wants a link to the pipette, let me know and I will see if I can find it.
Wow. I do soil, but you're so on top of your game it amazes me. And it doesn't hurt to get lucky once in a while either. Did you always grow hydro or was there a transition to it from soil or whatever? And if there was a transition, how long (how many grows?) before you felt you were competent at it? I ask those questions cuz it's a transition I am considering for down the road. The roots I see in good hydro setups just blow me away so much I feel I gotta try it at some point, but I've already seen enough to know it's an all or nothing, can't do it halfway kind of deal.

Wow. I do soil, but you're so on top of your game it amazes me. And it doesn't hurt to get lucky once in a while either. Did you always grow hydro or was there a transition to it from soil or whatever? And if there was a transition, how long (how many grows?) before you felt you were competent at it? I ask those questions cuz it's a transition I am considering for down the road. The roots I see in good hydro setups just blow me away so much I feel I gotta try it at some point, but I've already seen enough to know it's an all or nothing, can't do it halfway kind of deal.

Lol, this is my first attempt at in indoor grow. I have grown a plant it two over the years in the back yard but I have no background at all. I just followed some journals and applied my research to an aero setup because outdoors is not an option. This was really meant to be a pocket grow; with emphasis on striving for the best yield possible in a small space. This entire setup is only utilizing 54 ft³.

I never expected to enjoy it as much as I have but I have some interesting ideas for the next run and plan to improve where I can. I am definately hooked!

Thanks so much for all the nice comments, I hope this journal will help other beginners.

Lol, this is my first attempt at in indoor grow. I have grown a plant it two over the years in the back yard but I have no background at all. I just followed some journals and applied my research to an aero setup because outdoors is not an option. This was really meant to be a pocket grow; with emphasis on striving for the best yield possible in a small space. This entire setup is only utilizing 54 ft³.

I never expected to enjoy it as much as I have but I have some interesting ideas for the next run and plan to improve where I can. I am definately hooked!

Thanks so much for all the nice comments, I hope this journal will help other beginners.
Wow. Lol. I hope my journal helps beginners. I AM a beginner. Yours is likely helping experienced growers too. you really have your sh-t together for a first grow man. Very impressive. I thought I had my sh-t together for a SECOND grow. Lol. It's awesome.

[CORRECTION] I accidently linked the 10ml version in my original post and I used the 25ml so be sure to order the correct one (I believe the 10ml is smaller in diameter so it may not measure the same). The 25ml is graduated every 2/10ths and each mark will equate to 100ml in my 5 gal bucket. You may need to confirm that if there are variables for your setup...

Below is the correct one for the pipette hack for the water gauge in your nutrient reservoir, it is a cheap and easy hack... You can Google the SKU and you should find it easily.

SmartSelect_20210317-160524_Chrome.jpg

We are closing out week 10 of flower and she is still pushing white pistils on the top third of the plant. We are going to let her ripen until we have some more even coverage.

I continue to struggle with feeling good about nutrient levels. I have tried gradually increasing until I see tip burn but it went way higher than the recommended. I found an older brochure with a feeding schedule for my nutrients where it showed a tapering off during late flower so I tried that for the last week but started to see some faded leaves so I bumped it back to the recommended dose until we harvest. I may flush lightly the last few days but nothing crazy.

Pics don't look much different these days but she is still filling in; most of my branches now have a good 10-12" stack of buds. There is not much room for any more bud sites anywhere so I am getting close to being maxed out for buds. We are going to give them time to fatten up as much as possible before the chop.

Thrich's are looking good with mostly milky (some clear) and about 10% amber so it looks like we will go into week 11...

Day 132: start week 11 of flower tomorrow.

20210321_200040.jpg

20210321_200045.jpg

20210321_195925.jpg

Hey man, I was wondering if you could give me a little autoflower input? This is my first try at growing them. Here's my LST job I did on the Gorilla Zkittlez auto yesterday. She's 24 days old and to my eye she is beginning to bud. Before I pulled the main cola horizontal (ish) the plant was about a foot tall. Is that what you see? Is she starting to bud? So let's say she is starting to bud, and you can see how I LST-ed her. Other than some targeted defoliation sometime soon and continuing to keep the bud sites as spread out as possible, is there a whole lot more I can do in terms of training at this point? I'm inclined to go with this and let her go from here on, unless there's something significant I can do. Also, when would you begin to defoliate? So far all I have done is tuck the big fan leaves under, I haven't cut a single leaf. The plants are all immensely healthy and robust if that matters, they all are as healthy as the plant in the picture. (Hard to tell under the blurples in the picture, but trust me....) And, do autos stretch like photoperiod plants do? Can I expect this plant to double in size?

I know that's a load. I've checked all the research for hours and I get better results from asking someone who knows what they're talking about. Thanks a ton if you have a few moments to respond.

Gorilla post initial LST.jpg

You have a ton more training to go...

I started my LST on week 3. I accidently topped her a week later while training and my journal notes say she showed signs of pre-flower 2 weeks later.

Since this is my first run I got scared and took off the training thinking she was flowering but realized she had a ton of time left so I resumed training until full flower 4 weeks later.

Bottom line; every plant is different but I would start training as soon as you can and keep it until you are in full flower. Remember, training is not a set it and forget it thing. You will need to check things often and make adjustments. The better job you do here, they better you final product will be later and pretty much what I attribute my plants shape to. I have yet to see any northern lights autos with my density but I may have just gotten lucky?

Not sure what you will end up but plan on aggressive training for the next 4-6 weeks. Once you feel like she is ready to start the flowering stretch, release all the ties but get some yoyo's and be ready to provide some additional support. With all the extra branches, she will need extra support for the fattening up period in late flower.

Going by my journal most of my training started at week 3 through week 5.

As for defoliation; I tried to tuck when possible and only defoliated when things got tight in terms of airflow or bud sites where obstructed.

Looking forward to watching your progress...

Back
Top Bottom