Big wave from Maine

blackpaw

Good morning all, afternoon, good evening and good night depending on your time zone.......

I'm popping in here to make my 1st post and let you all know who I am. I am a authorized "medicated" card holder here in ME and have been for about 3 months now. I cannot say enough good things about MM!! I used to smoke recreationally 15-20 years ago, but now need it daily for my pain and medical and psychological well being. So, I hope to continue my quest for all natural pain-free life style with help from my MM.

Please bear with me, I'm new at this. I'll use the tools at hand (forum search/google) before I try NOT to double post or beat dead composting hemp plants to death (no beating of dead horses here, no room in the grow room, LOL). I hope to learn how to grow my own herb, teach myself how to start from seed, grow, veg, flower, harvest and dry/cure/store flowers and then take the less than perfect bud and either do a wet bubble hash procedure or just try my hand out at a dry-ice keiff collection.

100% legal card holder, OK, got that out of the way

SPECS:
Apartment grow, small, personal MM use, must be enclosed, no closet available, free-standing self-contained (fan, lights, power strips, etc, all inside except water)
So, here's my plan:

2.5w'x1.5d'x6t' plastic storage cabinet with moveable shelves from homestore, lined with mylar, light sealed, does't need to be 100% stealth but outa sight outa mind, eh?

LEDs, full spec w/ IR, 2 banks of hanging lights about 250w total - internet

2 gallon buckets (food grade, free from dumpster diving at the recycling center <- SCORE ! )

Local worm castings from organic farm, coconut hulls, perlite (unless there's other suggestions)

Fox farms foods (unless there's other suggestions)

Now on to the important part:

SEEDS.........where to get them? I've got a pretty good idea where and how to get them, but not sure since I live in USA. Can I just go on line and pay-pal me some seeds? From say a kind kanadian seed bank? Anyone have a supplier that is reliable, consistent, discrete?

Strains?

I have no idea what to grow. This will be my first. I don't think I'll try cloning since Ive got limited space right now so buying feminized and auto flowering seeds will be my 1st attempt and if I can make it all work, I'll work on a cloning system for my favs.

I just wanted to say hi and hope to enjoy this quest for my own MM fulfillment.

Greg

Hi Greg!

Welcome to 420! Such an awesome place here for you to be starting off. The people around here are incredibly talented and overwhelmingly supportive. I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in!

To answer your questions:

The sponsors here are great business and offer some of the best products available. Check them out under the sponsors tab at the top right. You can use a Visa or prepaid credit card and I'm sure there's more options. Mastercard will NOT allow these transactions to occur. So don't use a Mastercard.

As for your strains. Do a little homework about whether you want THC or CBD then do some googling to determine some strains that tickle your fancy and go from there to a sponsor around here Herbies is a great sponsor. But there are many!

I hope you find everything your looking for! I look forward to getting to know you!

Thanks for the warm reply! I didn't realize how extensive this site is, I've got may medicated hours of learning to do!!

I can't wait to grow!!

Hi Greg!

Welcome to 420! Such an awesome place here for you to be starting off. The people around here are incredibly talented and overwhelmingly supportive. I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in!

To answer your questions:

The sponsors here are great business and offer some of the best products available. Check them out under the sponsors tab at the top right. You can use a Visa or prepaid credit card and I'm sure there's more options. Mastercard will NOT allow these transactions to occur. So don't use a Mastercard.

As for your strains. Do a little homework about whether you want THC or CBD then do some googling to determine some strains that tickle your fancy and go from there to a sponsor around here Herbies is a great sponsor. But there are many!

I hope you find everything your looking for! I look forward to getting to know you!

Thanks for the great tips and welcome message!! I tried Herbies with a M/C and had to jump through hoops and STILL won't go through. Oh well, probably for my protection. Still learning, haven't started, hope to soon!!

Greg

Welcome blackpaw. there is an abundance of info here. I usually lose hours just browsing different journals. I start looking for one thing then next thing i know I'm reading 3 different journals at the same time.

Good Nov 1st everybody! I figured I'd check in on this thread I started and update the "official" un-officially start of my grow. I guess a LINK will go there --> _____________ <-- when I start my grow thread. Just a bit of info and lessons so far I've learned (mostly the hard way).

Prepare to spend double the $$ you budgeted if you've never done this before (that's me)
Accept the fact that you're doing it ALL wrong
Remember the things you're doing right
Stick with what works, I bought nearly 1 of every size and types of fabric grow pots by 4 different manufacturers, waste of $$ just to find one that will work.

And seeds are 9/10ths of the battle, bag seeds are ok to check out lights, nutes, and such, I am having a hard time finding quality seeds at a good price that sells to USA.

Welcome Blackpaw. Super cool name btw. For LEDs check out the dorm grow lights, a lot of people have done well with those. Or if on a super budget the Marshydro have done well for people also. I know on eBay right now the old style Marshydro 300w are going for unbelievable prices right now. I would reccomend a grow tent for flowering it will be easy to set up the lights and has Mylar inside already. It will have anchor points for lights and fans and duct points already there. My reccomendation is to keep the veg small and separate, for a small tent a really small veg will do just fine. You could also enclose the veg in the same tent if wanted but I love the ability to access my veg girls at any time.

My advice would be to head to the grow journal section and look for small closet or small tent grows and they will give you tons of great ideas. They will also give you a chance to see what doesn't work. Which may be more important than what does work! And everyone here is a great resource as you have already seen! Great luck and glad to have you!

Good Nov 1st everybody! I figured I'd check in on this thread I started and update the "official" un-officially start of my grow. I guess a LINK will go there --> _____________ <-- when I start my grow thread. Just a bit of info and lessons so far I've learned (mostly the hard way).

Prepare to spend double the $$ you budgeted if you've never done this before (that's me)
Accept the fact that you're doing it ALL wrong
Remember the things you're doing right
Stick with what works, I bought nearly 1 of every size and types of fabric grow pots by 4 different manufacturers, waste of $$ just to find one that will work.

And seeds are 9/10ths of the battle, bag seeds are ok to check out lights, nutes, and such, I am having a hard time finding quality seeds at a good price that sells to USA.

Well it sounds like you're on the right track BP! This game can be a finicky one. I'm excited to hear that you want to start a journal and record your process. It's a great way to reflect on your work and allow others to chime in and offer assistance.

I hope you have discouraged yourself too much cause everything you've faced is normal. We tend to jump over board on equipments and money spending because that's the easiest thing to do. Throw money at the problem. But there's much more that needs to happen.

You're on the right track. Keep us posted and we'd love to help out!

Welcome Blackpaw. Super cool name btw. For LEDs check out the dorm grow lights, a lot of people have done well with those. Or if on a super budget the Marshydro have done well for people also. I know on eBay right now the old style Marshydro 300w are going for unbelievable prices right now. I would reccomend a grow tent for flowering it will be easy to set up the lights and has Mylar inside already. It will have anchor points for lights and fans and duct points already there. My reccomendation is to keep the veg small and separate, for a small tent a really small veg will do just fine. You could also enclose the veg in the same tent if wanted but I love the ability to access my veg girls at any time.

My advice would be to head to the grow journal section and look for small closet or small tent grows and they will give you tons of great ideas. They will also give you a chance to see what doesn't work. Which may be more important than what does work! And everyone here is a great resource as you have already seen! Great luck and glad to have you!

This is great advice Shiggity! + reps!

I've got the lights, tents (yes, tents.....damned pot-fogged short term........what??who???now?? 420 already? AM or PM?), fabric pots, organic mix (going soil for my 1st time), power strips, cords, thermometers, nutes, and on and on and on.

Thanks for all the tips so far!!

Greg

Nice man! Seems like you are ready to start a grow journal. Soil is great. No substitute for nature and you can do some fine raised bed gardening with your soil when you are done with it. Take a look at doc's high Brix thread, it is an approach to growing in soil that makes a true living environment where you feed the soil and the soil feeds the plant. I have some of his soil cooking for a month. Some amazing results are coming from that method. I can't wait to have my soil done so I can start it as well!

Well, don't know where else to post this but here, not really a journal, not really a journal update. I guess you could call this a Pre-Quel to the main feature that came out 30 years ago.......oh wait.......

But I dawdle

Here's a concept I'm throwing out there. A quick n dirty customizable EMERGENCY power supply for my grow.

So far everything obtained at H_____ F_____ T____ls (no free google bot advertising for them, they make enough $$.....heh heh, eh?)
Don't get me wrong, they have value items at good prices, just stay away from the really really disposable stuff they sell. I shop there weekly, if not monthly.

The goods:

12v AGM battery 35AH
Trickle charger that does float and trickle, only slowly maintains a fully charged battery, doesn't bring it back from less than 10v or so
750 watt constant 1500 surge dc/ac inverter
10 foot 120v orange extension cord
1 Mars Hydro UFO 180watt LED lamp
1 "test subject" (forget the strain, will post later)

Right now I've got it running on a fully charged battery, 13.25v (the max v-DC out of the charger) with out the trickle charger attached. I don't know whether or not the inverter would draw too much and over load the trickle charger, or if the AGM battery will have the reserve to "feed" the inverter and allow the trickle charger to keep it topped off until a power outage. I'll let the set up run now and see how long I get out of a fully charged battery. The "subject" is NL x B.B. Fem only in her 1 week of veg. She didn't start under the UFO, but others I've started under the UFO are doing fantastic!!. Still ironing out the kinks, watering, fans, HEAT issues, etc so NO formal journal yet. I'll start one once I get into flower with some of them. In my home state I can have upto 5 (6?) plants for MMJ so I am at my limit. I'll let you all know what I've got going on here shortly and I do have photos....as they say, "didn't happen with out [proof] photos!! " Beg my pard'

Greg

Quick 20 minute up date: inverter is warm to the touch, BUT the cooling fan(s) has/have not kicked in the inverter.....huuuummmmm

Battery at : 12.25v, UFO doing it's thing.....drawing little but generating LOTs of heat :rolleyes3 as usual for a UFO.

Thanks everybody for listening to my rambling!!

greg

2 hour mark update:

Still no cooling fan, getting warmer, upto 120ºF now, but no smell of overheating components.

11.59 V-DC on the battery, going to pull it soon and put the UFO back on the mains. I don't want to too deep the deep cycle battery. I don't have a charger just for completely discharged AGM batteries, just a wet cell automotive charger.

BTW total cost about $150. I forget the exact amount, the receipt is somewhere............

All the wiring I used came with the stuff from HFT. Just the 6 ga. 2 foot cables with ring on one end and a crocodile clip for the battery post on the other end (came with the inverter), the charger came with both a permanent cord and a crocodile clip cord to charge the battery, extension cord from HFT, and the UFO has it's own cord.

I'd only use this in a pinch, do power outages affect light cycles? Say for an outage lasting longer than 4 hours? Would a flower cycle be disrupted? Or am I over thinking things? I did loose power for about 3 hours a month ago, but wasn't growing then. I have a traditional UPS on my cable modem and wifi router and my laptop can charge in the car if need be, so I've got internet comms covered at least for the short term. I just hope my quick n dirty solution is a concept that would work for short term outages.

Anyone have generator just in case?

Alright

2 hours 20 minutes and the warning alarm for low volts came on. 114ºF, 11.75v, I know, more V's than at the 2 hour mark update. I put the volt meter down somewhere and took a minute to find it in the wint-werds, eh? BMP

The battery had a chance to "bounce back," if I were to turn the inverter on now, I'd get 5 more minutes and it would go under 10.8v, the cut-off voltage fort the inverter.

Overall, a good proof of concept. I'll try again tomorrow and see if an over night of trickle charging/maintenance charging the battery gives me it's rated capacity. I read on the 'net that some one tried a similar set up and said he got a days worth of a charge on his??? Maybe it was only intermittent use and not constant like an LED lamp.

Back
Top Bottom