Bio char

Do you sprout for greens and or fodder?
I sprout grains and give them about 2 days a week, and about 4 days a week I give them fermented grains, and 1 day dry grains. But they get pellet food in their feeder to access whenever they want.

Runtz muffin
Bubba Kush and Maui I like that Maui it's mold mildew resistant and has a REALLY nice flavor yeilds pretty good to!
IMG_20230420_070655.jpg

IMG_20230420_070631.jpg

IMG_20230420_070017.jpg

Runtz muffin
Bubba Kush and Maui I like that Maui it's mold mildew resistant and has a REALLY nice flavor yeilds pretty good to!
IMG_20230420_070655.jpg

IMG_20230420_070631.jpg

IMG_20230420_070017.jpg
Oh and the pellet stove it's our heating source we have a reg furnace but other than a little bit of dust it's quite the efficient and eco friendly heat source we go through about 3 ton of pellets a season here in Michigan our furnace never comes on we heat about 1100 sq ft

Learn a little of the science behind companion planting and find out why companion planting flowers with vegetables is beneficial for your garden and your plants.
Lure in Pest Predators. Monocultures of vegetables are easy prey for pests. By growing flowers such as cosmos nearby, pest predators such as hoverflies (syrphid flies) will be drawn into your garden.
Deter Pests. Growing flowers amongst vegetables creates a patchwork of textures, smells and colors that will confuse many insect pests — they are literally thrown off the scent!
Some flowers, such as marigolds, actively repel pests such as whitefly while attracting beneficial bugs. They’re ideal for growing alongside tomatoes that are prone to attacks.
Suppress Weeds. If beds will be empty for a spell between crops, sow a flowering cover crop to suppress weeds. Some, such as phacelia and buckwheat, also attract beneficial bugs and help improve soil structure. Low-growing, non-invasive flowers with dense foliage or broad leaves, such as marigolds, can also be used to help suppress weeds between rows of vegetables.

The reason I talk about bugs so much is with longer , hotter ,dryer,and more humid summer's the bad bugs and pathogens have been around ALOT MORE and other Than the wind and some birds the most problem I have is with powdery mildew and the mentioned above does most of the spreading of the shit. I've seen ALOT MORE mosquitoes,horse flies thrips, japanese beetles, stink bugs ,ticks,and so on and not as many benifcial insects the past few years around here. So I'm trying to help with that same as the pollenators read up on solitairy bees

Some dip shit who lives next to me overwinters powdery mildew he doesn't even know what it is and his peanease are loaded with the crap right from the start and all summer long because he overwinters the crap right in his soil I 🤣🤣🤣 when I see him cut his flowers I've tried to say something but...... He KNOWS better than I 🥴🥴 I feel sorry for those plants! Not to mention he's got a bird bath next to those sickly things!

For the indoor growers what kind of equipment do you all use? I like the Gavita control for flower it's got that sunrise/sunset feature as well as auto dim set to my temp range with an error message screen for a list of faults .
The Saturn is ok for environmental control but I should have looked around a little more but I was trying the c02 timer after trying the mushroom bags either way is no way to go for c02 it's to inconsistent on ppm(trying to be cheap but ended up with a separate ppm meter/doser ) I don't use c02 anymore my opinion it's a waste of money and we don't need it in the atmosphere I just SWEET TALK my ladies now😁
I do inside in the basement during the colder months, I feel naked w/o a grow going I've been doing it so long

IMG_20230421_095150.jpg

IMG_20230421_095205.jpg

I run my veg LEC lights (sun systems 615 lec) on just a appliance timer I have a controller for them to but I was having problems with it so I quit using it but like the gavita you can daisy chain quite a few lights on one controller I see the LEDs have them to.
I have a couple veg LEDs Nextlights but I've been afraid to invest in the top $$$ LEDs for fear of losing flavor and yeild in flower I think they are ok for vegging and small spaces but my other lights don't get that hot plus I use the mover so no hot spots nor do they use THAT much power to justify the use of the LEDs for me I check my usage of electricity on a daily basis to track My overhead!
My 2 lec's are 615 watts apeice and I use 2 of the flex 750/gavitas I run the first month lec in flower or until REALLY GOOD flower sets and then sodium about the the last month to thicken them up I don't really know if it makes a whole lot of difference but it seems to work well I get good solid nugs that way with good trichome production

IMG_20230421_135323.jpg

Stunger those chickens sure do love these, are you doing sprouts? If you are what are you using? I got 50# of sprouting barely at the Mill $35 it'll last AWHILE! I'm glad I learned about this for the winter months for sure!
I never gave my other birds any of this usually just mash, scratch,and table scraps + free range i never tried the pellets.
I appreciate your help on a few of these things like the fermenting grains and such my birds are happy and healthy!
Between the activated em in their water the fermented food we give a small plate once a day we are still on the broiler feed we just started fermenting the scratch but the greens are for treats for now, we'll start the greens daily for the colder months and along with the BSF for treats the dry feed(mash) is lasting quite awhile and they are eating that as well seems to be alot more cost effective this way than what I was doing before with My other flock. Took about a week or so for the sprouts

IMG_20230421_135323.jpg

Stunger those chickens sure do love these, are you doing sprouts? If you are what are you using? I got 50# of sprouting barely at the Mill $35 it'll last AWHILE! I'm glad I learned about this for the winter months for sure!
I never gave my other birds any of this usually just mash, scratch,and table scraps + free range i never tried the pellets.
I appreciate your help on a few of these things like the fermenting grains and such my birds are happy and healthy!
Between the activated em in their water the fermented food we give a small plate once a day we are still on the broiler feed we just started fermenting the scratch but the greens are for treats for now, we'll start the greens daily for the colder months and along with the BSF for treats the dry feed(mash) is lasting quite awhile and they are eating that as well seems to be alot more cost effective this way than what I was doing before with My other flock. Took about a week or so for the sprouts
They'd love those I reckon! I buy a bag of mixed grains to sprout from the chicken food place that I purchase my stuff from. I just sprout them in a preserving jar with a 'sprouting cap' of steel mesh, but I am sure some muslim cloth over the end would work fine too. But your sprouting trays look good too. I still have a bunch of similar but plastic trays that I used to buy sprouted wheat grass in. I might plant them with something and give them as a treat since they quickly destroy anything growing!

I also use preserving jars for fermenting the grains too, these jars have silicon self 'burping' lids to release the CO2 and without let too much oxygen/air in.

They'd love those I reckon! I buy a bag of mixed grains to sprout from the chicken food place that I purchase my stuff from. I just sprout them in a preserving jar with a 'sprouting cap' of steel mesh, but I am sure some muslim cloth over the end would work fine too. But your sprouting trays look good too. I still have a bunch of similar but plastic trays that I used to buy sprouted wheat grass in. I might plant them with something and give them as a treat since they quickly destroy anything growing!

I also use preserving jars for fermenting the grains too, these jars have silicon self 'burping' lids to release the CO2 and without let too much oxygen/air in.
Yeah you can sprout in the tray I tried the Mason jar the first try but didn't care for that although it was working.
I like the tray better ,we poked holes in the bottom of them for drainage but yeah I just cut it with scissors it's like a carpet and I throw a chunk out there they love it or just put the tray out there they can eat what they want that might not work so well in the winter it'll probably freeze by time they eat it all.
I'm just trying to get a system for next winter so I don't run outta greens. Took about a week to get a tray of sprouts rinse 2 times a day and drain well and should keep them covered till sprouted I think it's worth it They come running they see me with it well if they see me they know some kind of treat is coming 😂
I buy all my stuff from a local grain mill I like to help the local farmers and it's better quality than the Big box stores and they know tricks of the trade these young kids at the Big box stores might not know I don't mind spending a little more for knowledge and quality!

Yeah you can sprout in the tray I tried the Mason jar the first try but didn't care for that although it was working.
I like the tray better ,we poked holes in the bottom of them for drainage but yeah I just cut it with scissors it's like a carpet and I throw a chunk out there they love it or just put the tray out there they can eat what they want that might not work so well in the winter it'll probably freeze by time they eat it all.
I'm just trying to get a system for next winter so I don't run outta greens. Took about a week to get a tray of sprouts rinse 2 times a day and drain well and should keep them covered till sprouted I think it's worth it They come running they see me with it well if they see me they know some kind of treat is coming 😂
I buy all my stuff from a local grain mill I like to help the local farmers and it's better quality than the Big box stores and they know tricks of the trade these young kids at the Big box stores might not know I don't mind spending a little more for knowledge and quality!
Oh I chose sprouting barely because my research was telling me they provide the most benefit and bang for the $ more than some of the other grains do

Oh I chose sprouting barely because my research was telling me they provide the most benefit and bang for the $ more than some of the other grains do
I might have an in for selling extra eggs and BSF larvaev at the mill they only have meal worms there and I spoke with the owner and they might be interested in my extra BSF pupa I'm going to check around to the other mills this BSF farm and chicken gig might turn out 👍😎

Soil Testing: there are three types of soil tests to evaluate the nutrient and mineral levels in the media. The Meilich III test and saturated paste test from Logan Laboratories and a Soil Savvy (artificial resin) test from UniBest. The Meilich III test is an acid extraction that is helpful in determining what nutrients and minerals are in the media but it does not show what is currently available for uptake for the plant. The Saturated Paste Tests and Soil Savvy test are two different testing methodologies designed to show what is currently available for plant uptake.

Hi just stumbled upon your thread here, I have been using Bio Char for a couple years now, from a local producer, it’s a great soil amendment and source of carbon for plants. It’s not the same as ashes (that is also a soil amendment but used to raise ph in soil like limestone).
It’s pretty much charcoal made with out any fuel to start the fire.

I use organic solutions for creating fertilizer, no bottles and no synthetic, growing plants for medicine is the way and if it’s medicine can’t feed the plant with chemicals otherwise it ain’t medicine once it gets to us humans.

040AF38D-9F30-4E04-9400-78769C0F2B90.jpeg

Hi just stumbled upon your thread here, I have been using Bio Char for a couple years now, from a local producer, it’s a great soil amendment and source of carbon for plants. It’s not the same as ashes (that is also a soil amendment but used to raise ph in soil like limestone).
It’s pretty much charcoal made with out any fuel to start the fire.

I use organic solutions for creating fertilizer, no bottles and no synthetic, growing plants for medicine is the way and if it’s medicine can’t feed the plant with chemicals otherwise it ain’t medicine once it gets to us humans.

040AF38D-9F30-4E04-9400-78769C0F2B90.jpeg
Howdy, glad to have you on the thread we talk all kinds of stuff here but questions for you.about the char you use
1 is it charged?
2 if so how are you charging it?
I either use compost tea or I send it through my worm bin when pre composting my worm feed, composting with char works well takes care of smells and accelerates the the breaking down process. I do a living soil bed I don't use any chemicals either for pests or anything I've had this soil 3 years now ALL organic

IMG_20230421_133020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom