Bio char

Cover crops can make environmental controls more challenging. While this may be a somewhat minor point, adding more plant biomass in a room will potentially increase transpiration and respiration rates, and possibly require more energy in the form of environmental controls like dehumidification.

I realize that some growers will still choose to utilize cover crops indoors and I have seen some successful use cases on social media that appear to show healthy plants. However when weighing out the pros and cons and optimizing processes in our garden, I don’t believe cover crops belong indoors. Of course in a small tent garden, where scouting and plant management is quite simple, this is much less of an issue. When we move into the commercial realm with hundreds or thousands of plants, the added labor and associated pest risk far outweigh any benefits a cover crop may offer.

IMG_20230429_074517.jpg
4 plants coming along NICELY!

@Stunger heres another chicken treat option for you don't know if you've seen these I haven't seen them for sale in any store. Raising Superworms (Zophobas morio)
Superworms are super compared to mealworms. Measuring up to 2.25 inches, they are nearly double the size of mealworms. Also a member of the darkling beetle family, they share 20,000 cousins with mealworms. Their housing requirements are similar to mealworms. Allow at least five inches for the height of the enclosure to prevent escapees. Unlike mealworms, superworms should be separated into containers for pupae, larva, and beetles. Never put superworms in the fridge. They do best at 80 to 85 degrees, although they will survive and reproduce at room temperature

@Stunger idk how your chickens like those freeze dried meal worms I gave them some of those from the mill and they don't go crazy over those like they do the BSF and I read that feeding your flock diatomaceous earth in their food will help with worms along with helping your laying mash not to clump oh and cottage cheese I've read for gut health to for the flock.
On a different note,
I watched the coronation on TV I'm intrigued by all the history! Just so you know I flew our flag half staff in honor of the Queen during her funeral I watched that to, quit the fitting end to such a inspirational and dedicated person! Just wanted to put that out there ✌️

I’m not there yet making my own worm castings, I source it from local shops around here and it’s produced in the province.
I yet to try insect frass, the one from Gaia green a wanted to purchase but hard to get around here.
Worm castings are a staple in my soil mixes and anaerobic teas.

Thank you for the compliment I started clones early this year!
I do my own frass now ,just started raising Black soldier flies they are multi use for my chicken treats as well as worm food and garden amendment as far as your own casting it's easy to do and once you get over the shock of getting it going $$ wise it's worth it free actually all done by your own waste I got a Urban worm bag I get some GOOD QUALITY castings as you can see in the start of the season. I make my own soil as well

@Stunger idk how your chickens like those freeze dried meal worms I gave them some of those from the mill and they don't go crazy over those like they do the BSF and I read that feeding your flock diatomaceous earth in their food will help with worms along with helping your laying mash not to clump oh and cottage cheese I've read for gut health to for the flock.
On a different note,
I watched the coronation on TV I'm intrigued by all the history! Just so you know I flew our flag half staff in honor of the Queen during her funeral I watched that to, quit the fitting end to such a inspirational and dedicated person! Just wanted to put that out there ✌️
Mine love the dried meal worms, they still seem only tentative about worms, although they like caterpillars, cockroaches, moths, beetles, and the other day a cat had killed a mouse so I gave it to them and they loved it, chased each other around with it until it was all gone! Yes your BSF sound great.

I didn't watch the coronation but I am sure it would be the best of pomp and ceremony, so much history, but I thought his mother was of a higher calibre but good luck to him.

Plants are looking healthy.

Thank you for the compliment I started clones early this year!
I do my own frass now ,just started raising Black soldier flies they are multi use for my chicken treats as well as worm food and garden amendment as far as your own casting it's easy to do and once you get over the shock of getting it going $$ wise it's worth it free actually all done by your own waste I got a Urban worm bag I get some GOOD QUALITY castings as you can see in the start of the season. I make my own soil as well
Its awesome to make your own stuff, you are right I should look in to starting; we are loaded with earth worms in our compost pile. Thanks for the input.

Mine love the dried meal worms, they still seem only tentative about worms, although they like caterpillars, cockroaches, moths, beetles, and the other day a cat had killed a mouse so I gave it to them and they loved it, chased each other around with it until it was all gone! Yes your BSF sound great.

I didn't watch the coronation but I am sure it would be the best of pomp and ceremony, so much history, but I thought his mother was of a higher calibre but good luck to him.

Plants are looking health

Running those lec lights 2/630 lec sunsystems 1 month in then switch to sodium gavita ×3 @ 500 watts per fixture Daisy changed in 1 timer with sun rise sunset mode along with bio char and a silica a tad of this and a tad of that but most importantly a soil test at The start of the run and a range of 6.8 to 70 ph (living soil) with a rang of 80 mb-120mb's😎

Running those lec lights 2/630 lec sunsystems 1 month in then switch to sodium gavita ×3 @ 500 watts per fixture Daisy changed in 1 timer with sun rise sunset mode along with bio char and a silica a tad of this and a tad of that but most importantly a soil test at The start of the run and a range of 6.8 to 70 ph (living soil) with a rang of 80 mb-120mb's😎
For soil moisture

The highly invasive jumping worm, a genus introduced from eastern Asia, now writhes within the topsoil of more than a dozen states in the Midwest. After jumping worms feed their insatiable appetites, they leave behind loose, granular soil the texture of coffee grounds. This altered soil can no longer retain moisture, lacks nutrients and quickly erodes, jeopardizing gardens and forest ecosystems, reports Will Cushman for PBS Wisconsin.

The jumping worms may have been brought to North America in the 19th century with plants and other imported horticultural and agricultural materials. Since then, the worms have spread. As of 2021, the invaders can be found in Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, Indiana, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Oklahoma, reports Jason Murdock for Newsweek.

The invasive worm resembles the more common European nightcrawler but is slightly smaller, a brownish color rather than pink and appears sleeker and smoother, reports Newsweek. The segmented invertebrates are also known as Asian jumping worms, crazy worms, Alabama jumpers and snake worms. As their various names suggest, the worms thrash and snap their bodies intensely like a rattlesnake when touched or held, can spring into the air and even shed their tail to escape, PBS Wisconsin reports.

Back
Top Bottom