Bud Washing

Are you guys washing whole plants or branches?

I did mine by the branch and found the 5g bucket was a little too short for my liking. I wash several plants at once, so I might try to procure different containers. I'd like something taller and about as narrow. I was thinking a kitchen trash can might work. If I have a larger volume of water, I can probably go a few plants in between changes. Since I don't spray anything on my plants, mine aren't as dirty as Doc's. :winkyface:

I did mine by the branch and found the 5g bucket was a little too short for my liking. I wash several plants at once, so I might try to procure different containers. I'd like something taller and about as narrow. I was thinking a kitchen trash can might work. If I have a larger volume of water, I can probably go a few plants in between changes. Since I don't spray anything on my plants, mine aren't as dirty as Doc's. :winkyface:

:ganjamon: Oh...they're dirty alright...filthy, nasty, horney, you name it! We gotta wash all the fish juice off!

Hi Hiker.

I just washed mine by the branch. I purchased 3 slightly shallow rectangular trays @ wally world specifically for this purpose. They are maybe 20"x16"x5" in size and I was able to wash the buds from 3 plants with the same water. Like you, I didn't foliar feed or really spray much of anything on my plants, but I was surprised (and at least a little disgusted) at how dirty the water was in all 3 containers.

Hi Hiker.

I just washed mine by the branch. I purchased 3 slightly shallow rectangular trays @ wally world specifically for this purpose. They are maybe 20"x16"x5" in size and I was able to wash the buds from 3 plants with the same water. Like you, I didn't foliar feed or really spray much of anything on my plants, but I was surprised (and at least a little disgusted) at how dirty the water was in all 3 containers.

The water shouldn't be dirty in all 3 containers...only the first bucket should be dirty. The last bucket should be clear and clean.

I don't know how big your plants are, but there is no way I could wash 3 plants with one set of buckets.

The Lemon/baking soda bucket should have taken the crud off. The next two just wash off the lemon juice mix.

This was my first indoor grow ever Doc, so my plants weren't worth bragging about regarding their size. I think towards the end I was transferring junk from one container to the next. In retrospect, perhaps I should have changed the water but we live and learn.

Sounds like Very important info to me. A GREAT number of people are like me and can not afford to have any pestacides or other contaminates in their produce.
I wish I had found this info before I harvested this years crops, but next year, I'll use this method for sure.
Thank You for the info!

Some fresh clean 2013 homegrown outdoor, thank you again for the recipe!! :thanks:

100_48961.JPG
100_48951.JPG

glad i found this i too will be using it for next harvest...which will be doc buds high brix kit so im sure ill have plenty of goodies to wash off them buds!!

+rep hiker for starting this thread....also hiker are your buds cured yet have you tried out your first washed buds???

Everyone who washes always says they wish they had done it sooner and they'll never go without a wash again.

I guess I'll be the first one then to not say that since I'm washing my first grow ever! ;) ;)

+rep hiker for starting this thread....also hiker are your buds cured yet have you tried out your first washed buds???

Thanks, but it was Doc's idea. :thumb:

Yes. Mine are in their jars for awhile now (with Boveda packs).

I DO think there is an appreciable difference. I did not wash my entire harvest. I washed one plant from each of my strains. I do prefer to smoke the washed buds. Mine were not terribly dirty. The best way I've found to describe the difference I perceive is that the smoke is "smoother". I hesitate to call it "cleaner" just because people may think it's just cognitive dissonance in action here. What I'm trying to describe is not so much the taste, but the feeling of the smoke. Another way to try and explain it is... the smoke is just easier on my lungs. I recently caught a pretty bad cold. I had a real hard time smoking anything, but I could tell that the washed buds were easier to smoke than some of the unwashed buds from this and the prior harvest. FYI, hash was the easiest to smoke. :winkyface:

I definitely think there is some benefit from washing the buds. There is no question in my mind. That being said, the question for me is, is it a big enough difference for MY grow. I'm actually undecided. This process DOES add more work to the harvest process. My dilemma is this, I know it makes a difference, not huge, but it's undeniable IMHO. The patients that have been getting my meds have never complained though. They don't even know that there is another option! My problem is with the increased work, I'd like to see a proportionate increase in my compensation, but the patients don't, yet, recognize the value there. I did plan to setup a display at the market to educate patients, but I'm no longer going to the market myself, so no longer have my direct contact with patients. Anyway, I'm still weighing the costs and benefits for MY situation. I have a couple months to decide what I will do with the next round. :blalol:

Short version:
Washing buds makes them better. How much depends on the grow(er), but even my very clean buds improved from the process. I wholeheartedly recommend all growers at least try it for themselves. :thumb:

Thanks, but it was Doc's idea. :thumb:

Yes. Mine are in their jars for awhile now (with Boveda packs).

I DO think there is an appreciable difference. I did not wash my entire harvest. I washed one plant from each of my strains. I do prefer to smoke the washed buds. Mine were not terribly dirty. The best way I've found to describe the difference I perceive is that the smoke is "smoother". I hesitate to call it "cleaner" just because people may think it's just cognitive dissonance in action here. What I'm trying to describe is not so much the taste, but the feeling of the smoke. Another way to try and explain it is... the smoke is just easier on my lungs. I recently caught a pretty bad cold. I had a real hard time smoking anything, but I could tell that the washed buds were easier to smoke than some of the unwashed buds from this and the prior harvest. FYI, hash was the easiest to smoke. :winkyface:

I definitely think there is some benefit from washing the buds. There is no question in my mind. That being said, the question for me is, is it a big enough difference for MY grow. I'm actually undecided. This process DOES add more work to the harvest process. My dilemma is this, I know it makes a difference, not huge, but it's undeniable IMHO. The patients that have been getting my meds have never complained though. They don't even know that there is another option! My problem is with the increased work, I'd like to see a proportionate increase in my compensation, but the patients don't, yet, recognize the value there. I did plan to setup a display at the market to educate patients, but I'm no longer going to the market myself, so no longer have my direct contact with patients. Anyway, I'm still weighing the costs and benefits for MY situation. I have a couple months to decide what I will do with the next round. :blalol:

Short version:
Washing buds makes them better. How much depends on the grow(er), but even my very clean buds improved from the process. I wholeheartedly recommend all growers at least try it for themselves. :thumb:

You make some very good points!

Since I spray mine with fish juice and fermented seaweed, the wash makes a huge difference. If you're indoors in a clean environment and you don't foliar feed, the wash will still help---as you pointed out---but the difference won't be as dramatic.

RE: compensation vs. work.

Always produce the very best you are capable of, using any and all means and your compensation will follow suit.

You make some very good points!

Since I spray mine with fish juice and fermented seaweed, the wash makes a huge difference. .

yo doc,not sure if this is an ok thread to post my Q or if i should have gone to the Q&A but here it is: so i know we will be using the foliars all the way to harvest, but i have yet to come across whether you spray all of the budding plant. or do you only spray the leaves trying to avoid the buds?? i haven't used foliars much...or properly i mean after reading your posts. so clarification would be great!!!

thanks for your time Doc :bravo:

yo doc,not sure if this is an ok thread to post my Q or if i should have gone to the Q&A but here it is: so i know we will be using the foliars all the way to harvest, but i have yet to come across whether you spray all of the budding plant. or do you only spray the leaves trying to avoid the buds?? i haven't used foliars much...or properly i mean after reading your posts. so clarification would be great!!!

thanks for your time Doc :bravo:

Short answer on this thread. If you need more detail take it to my Q n A thread......

Try to spray the underside of the leaves, but don't worry if it gets on the buds. It can't be helped!

I use a Solo sprayer, with the nozzle pointed up.....and I start at the bottom of the plant and move it up. Buds get wet....but mainly I'm aiming for the leaves.

Short answer on this thread. If you need more detail take it to my Q n A thread......

Try to spray the underside of the leaves, but don't worry if it gets on the buds. It can't be helped!

I use a Solo sprayer, with the nozzle pointed up.....and I start at the bottom of the plant and move it up. Buds get wet....but mainly I'm aiming for the leaves.

thank you greatly DOC :Namaste::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom