Budsyezbuds's First CFL Indoor Grow!

That looks a lot like nute burn to me.
You wouldn't have transplant shock when just burying the fiber pot in new soil...

Plants that young in soil need ZERO nutrients for weeks.

Fill this out ASAP (And I do mean soon. like YESTERDAY)

What Strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants?
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot?
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
Is it Air Cooled?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
RH of Room/Cabinet?
PH of Medium or Reservoir?
Any Pests?
How Often are you Watering?
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Size or Square Footage of Room?

Do not skip any applicable question if you want your plants to survive.

Sorry to hear of your loss, been there done that. lol

I murdered about 9 or so i think, alot anyway due to doing things wrong.

What i found with my own failings.
Lights - they need good lighting. I used 48W x 2 CFL 5200k Lights and seemed to work but best results i found was with my proper fluro hydro lighting with chucks it up to like 10000k lumens at around 2 feet away and they seemed to love shaded sunlight.
Lighting cycle was 20-4

Also, I got this from Google Play store
Its a light meter, 1 lux is 1 Lumens
Works great.

Soil - Potting mix with perlite worked a treat. Look for potting mix for tomatoes and with no added nutirients as you dont want to burn them. I avoided the pre-nutrient 3month potting mixes.
The mix of potting mix to perlite was like 60-40 ratio.

Water - Did you check your PH? Mate i can tell you now mine is bad where I am and thats why i failed initially/ I had PH lockout and the seedlings failed on me, so i started using Spring Water which had the PH i needed of round 6.5-7.0

Also, the chlorines can cause issues.

I had a seedling for example that was only 4inches tall and wouldnt grow upwards, but the rooting system filled the whole 27cm pot. So it eventually past away.

Ambient temperature - Im in winter right now so i making sure temps are stable with humidty is essential but mine have accustomed to the current environment i give it.

Get yourself a temp gauge with humidity meter. I picked up a few LCD ones from ebay for round $1.60 each and seem accurate

BTW im no expert, been only doing this stuff for round 4months lol

I just smoked when I read these replies so a few things made me laugh.:tokin::biglaugh:

Ok...Antics I havent used any nutes on them yet. Also... I filled this form out already but I will do it again.

What Strain is it? N/A
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants? 3
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor?
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot? 1.1 Quartz
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 4 CFL 75w equiv at 1200 lum and 6500k
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 25 - 27 C
RH of Room/Cabinet? 61%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? PH strips in the mail
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? every 2 days (this was the first 3 weeks which caused the overwatering)
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? none
Size or Square Footage of Room? Brow Box 2ft tall, 2.5 ft wide, plenty of room

Thank you guys for all the help and support :thanks:

Week 5
-------------------------------------

Im back and so is champion

So at this point all of my seedlings died except Champion. That little weed is tough. So after the whole over-watering incident, it took about 1 1/2 weeks for her to bounce back but even when she was not suffocating anymore she didnt look good which made me realize she needed nutes fast. I fed the plant nutes on Monday and ever since the little survivor has been doing very well and looks like is back to the growth rate it had before i almost killed it. For the nutes I gave FF Grow Big. I used very little...like a little less than 1ml for 1 cup of water to start. Here is a picture.

image14586.jpg

I now bottom feed the plant to avoid over-watering. I have also decreased my waterings to once every 5 days or so.
The temps in the grow tub is around 23-25 C and humidity is at 61%

Antics, I have never said that I was using nutes at all before my Week 5 update, only that I recieved my nutes in the mail and what strength i would start when I started. From most of my research I learned you want to start using nutes about 4 to 5 weeks in and thats what im doing. Yes I fed it Grow Big today(week 5) and it is actually working out very well as the plant is looking better and better by the hour. Im not sure where the confusion came in but i can assure you i never gave nutes before today. No nute burn or anything.

what kind of soil is that?EDIT: Re read your thing Topsoil, vermiculite, perlite, peat moss. It looks very heavy on perlite and sticks with very little humus, loam, peat or compost. One of the problems with soils like this is 1) it drains too quickly and doesn't absorb much 2) the woody bits might not only leach nutrients away but grow all sorts of gross stuff like molds. Use more topsoil and remove as much debris as possible and break up the big clumps. I use roughly 2cups hummus, 2cups loam, 1 cup perlite, 1/4 cup manure and sometimes I throw in some vermiculite. I also use peat sparingly. Sometimes I have sand in my mix.

I would suggest trying to familiarize yourself a little with different soils and amendments and find a recipe that works. Glad to see adding nutes helped. Good luck!

There is a definite issue with stunted growth here. That's what confused me.

At week 5 your plants are where I typically see seedlings at the end of week 1.

What is the distance between your lights and your plant?
What is the actual wattage of your bulbs? The equivalent rating is only useful when using them to replace an incandescent bulb. Since incandescent bulbs cannot grow Cannabis, that equivalent number isn't helpful here.
I would also suggest removing that fiber pot if possible. I personally don't trust them to break apart before becoming root bound, unless the soil is kept extremely moist (a bad condition for Cannabis).

Lol im seriously beginning to think no one is reading my previous weekly post, i think maybe just looking at the pictures. Yes it looks small for week 5 but as stated previously that is due to my overwatering mishap. Over-watering causes slowed growth. Another way to think of it is it got stuck in seedling stage. There are other factors too that caused the growth to be slow also like not using a propagator at the beginning. Its back on track now so no worries.

Here is a picture from today which marks Officially Week 5

The plant is really having a great reaction to the nutrients and has been growing and looking healthier each day.

------------------------------------------------------------

20140829_121608.jpg

Very happy to see it back on track

20140829_122630.jpg

Nice

Thank you for reading :welcome:

Ok now it makes more sense why you said that. Yes its funny because I was about 1 day from giving up on it and starting over but then it started to turn things around and look better. Even if this plant never grows big, i think it deserves a comfortable happy life for the remainder of its time. I have started some other seeds to see how my results are without over watering and they are already as big as this one and it has only been 5 days. I know for week 5 Champion should be much much bigger but I feel so guilty that i almost killed the little thing that im going to just let it do its thing. Thank you for sharing your experience and your good wishes.

LOLOL so you are like me, a mass murderer

I did that with my fish tank and bonzai actually as well,. killed many fish and killed the bonzai that seemed to like my other place better then this and I dont know why, its just a couple suburbs away as well so the water should be the same.

For you, the new seedlings is definitely a ray of hope as you can see from past dealings that things have been done wrong in the past and now know the conditions you can grow to available to you.

As for growing condition, those peet cups or whatever you used, i never did use them as heard bad experiences from others.
I whacked mine into a Starbucks large plastic cup and lid with my new found knowledge from mass murders of soil and light and gave them a easy life first up until mature enough to go into the main growing pot.

Hello to all supporters, lurkers, growers, and friends. Here is a mid week update for you guys

Nothing has changed. I watered the plant monday after I saw some leaves drooping. The next day it was strong with leaves up right and looking green.

20140903_082231.jpg

I think I found the right timing for watering.

Week 6
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today marks 6 weeks for champion from seed and I have been very pleased. This plant has had a lot of new growth over the past week and now finally looks like it is getting more into vegetative stage rather than being a seedling. Champion looks less like a seedling now. I have been feeding nutrients and had to adjust the lights for the growth. One day it got kind of hot in the grow box and i noticed i looked a bit heat stressed so I have since adjusted the temperature to something more suitable. I have also been able to notice that familiar smell when I hold the plant close to smell and it is starting to get a bit skunky a very close proximity.

That is all for this week. My plant seems to be doing fine with the one cfl I have on it for now. Once it gets bigger I will get more for it.

Here are some pictures.

20140905_090258.jpg

20140905_090238.jpg

20140905_090248.jpg

Looking very nice, I definitely know what i did wrong now and champion is back on track.:party:

20140905_090230.jpg

20140905_090308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom