Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - 2010

buhdders

:roorrip:
Howdy there. Lets start with the specs of my grow so you can decide to follow or not:

Location of Grow: 5'x2'x7'5" closet
Stage of Grow: Germination(started march 2nd)
Strain of Grow: Unknown...bag seeds. Will be referred from now on as Buhdderschotch :p
Method: Deep Water Culture, inspired by: Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY
Reservoir: 10 gallon tub (5.5 gallons of water held) with six site setup.
Medium: Hydrotron
hydroton_Pebbles1.jpg

and inch Rockwool cubes
Gordon_Rockwool.jpg

Nutes: General Hydroponics 3-step flora
General_Hydroponics_3-step.jpg

pH:~5.5-6.5 (using pH testing kit from General Hydroponics
General_Hydroponics_pH_kit.jpg

Temperature: 80F(water. For Germination, see next comment for explanation), air is unknown because I keep forgetting to get a thermometer/hydrometer
Lights:
  • 2-light 48" 40w t12 Florescent
  • 16 CFL'S (8x5000k, 8x2700k)
  • Plan on building a fixture based on FlyingPanFlyer's post on Roseman's CFL Light Tutorial
Vents: not at this time
Insects: naturally occupying ladybugs
Yield: one of life's great mysteries

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - Grow Room

I Need to finish my grow room. I'm currently growing 4 females in the current space I plan to use for this grow. After I call it quit with these ones, The current closet doors are coming down. They are... inconvienant with there mirror double hinged doors. Going to tear em out and make two regular wooden doors with a lock for security measures.

Once that is done. I am going to either
A)Paint walls flat white and call it good
B)Use old mobile home wall paneling, cover with tin foil as flat as possible to avoid hot spots, and hang them.
C)hybrid of A and B

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - Germination

okay, thought I should share this idea I came up with germination.
what I did was pick 30, yes 30, of the best bag seeds that have been stored in a dark, cool spot.
Those 30 seeds were separated in 3 different cups. Two cups just had plain water from the tap, the third was an experiment with a very week solution of my nutes recommended strength for seedlings/clones.
Then after finishing my bubble tank with a brand new water heater in the tank and fresh, pH balanced, weak nutes, water; I got a headache with pictures (later I was told it was called an idea). The idea was this:
Why not take one of the cups of germinating seeds and put it in a baggie filled with water and place it in the bubble tank!!!
So now i got 10 seeds germinating in my tank with 80F controlled water.
Sunleaves Heatwave 200w Reservoir Heater
Sunleaves_Heatwave_200w_Reservoir_Heater.jpg

Question....'
What do you guys think of this idea?

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - Bubble tank specs

My bubble tank specifications are as follow:
  • 10 Gallon resevoir that holds 5.5 gallons of solution
  • Acive Aqua 7.8lpm with 2 ports
    Active_Aqua_2-port_Air_pump.jpg
  • 2 12 inch air stones
  • 1/4 hosing to connect air pump to stones/ supply water from drip manifold through the net cups to the root base of plant
  • Active Aqua submersible pump 160gph
    ActiveAqua_Pump_160GHP.jpg
  • Drip manifold (*******ILL UPDATE WITH A PIC OF IT WHEN I GET A CAM******)
  • 3/8 inch hosing to connect the pump to manifold
  • (6) 3.5"net cups
  • water heater(see the post named Germination for pic)

(*****UPDATE WITH PIC OF BUBBLEMACHINE******)
The only part of the build that made me read to throw the whole thing in the garbage was the Drip manifold. The manifold purchased from a local shop didn't come with the fitting to connect to a hose so I had to travel to Home Depot to get a brass 1/2 inch barb that would screw into the manifold. I had a time making 3/8 hosing fit on a 1/2 inch barb >:/ but i did.

Im not happy with the air stones. They don't seem to bubble as much as they should, just the ends bubble.

Am I wrong but my pump shouldn't have a problem making those things bubble?????

This must affect the transference of the airy mixture of water to the roots. My tubes are trickling, but no bubbles.

Am I doing something wrong?
Going to try diff air stones

I would 86, get rid of the heater, or be very, very careful!

I would not use any nutes at all when sprouting. Unless when you say weak- you mean only the smell of nutes.

Do the tried and true method in certain areas.

Sprouting and water temp being important at this point.

Little things die quick in a big world.
j
Everything else seem to be good.

Your stones may have a problem as you mentioned.

Re: Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - Grow Room

I Need to finish my grow room. I'm currently growing 4 females in the current space I plan to use for this grow. After I call it quit with these ones, The current closet doors are coming down. They are... inconvienant with there mirror double hinged doors. Going to tear em out and make two regular wooden doors with a lock for security measures.

Once that is done. I am going to either
A)Paint walls flat white and call it good
B)Use old mobile home wall paneling, cover with tin foil as flat as possible to avoid hot spots, and hang them.
C)hybrid of A and B

Hey buhdders, great to see you're starting a hydro grow! When I first started I followed Roseman's tutorial to the letter and got some real nice bud my first try! I've got my second hydro grow going and it's looking to be better than the first!

One comment about your grow closet, of you choices for finishing I'd recommend the flat white paint. Flat white paint has a reflectivity of about 85% whereas tim foil is way down in the 60's somewhere, not very good at all.

Of course mylar would be best coming in at around 93%, but it's not much of a drop off to go to the paint.

Good luck with your grow bro!

I tell you what I'm experienceing with res temps: Once my res was at 76 I got algae. It sucked and I've been dealing with that problem for 3 weeks! I would never heat my water, if I could run it at 65 I would, but I can only get it to stay about 69-72 depending on the heat in the closet, etc.
Also on the airstone's, see if they are cracked. I had one that had a crack in it, and the bubbles went away, and were replaced by a violent bubbling action from the crack. I replaced it immediatly and through it out.
Hope that helps some. FPF has good info on what to do with your walls. I'd trust his suggestions anyday.:goodluck:

Howdy there. Lets start with the specs of my grow so you can decide to follow or not:

Location of Grow: 5'x2'x7'5" closet
Stage of Grow: Germination(started march 2nd)
Strain of Grow: Unknown...bag seeds. Will be referred from now on as Buhdderschotch :p
Method: Deep Water Culture, inspired by: Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY
Reservoir: 10 gallon tub (5.5 gallons of water held) with six site setup.
Medium: Hydrotron
hydroton_Pebbles1.jpg

and inch Rockwool cubes
Gordon_Rockwool.jpg

Nutes: General Hydroponics 3-step flora
General_Hydroponics_3-step.jpg

pH:~5.5-6.5 (using pH testing kit from General Hydroponics
General_Hydroponics_pH_kit.jpg

Temperature: 80F(water. For Germination, see next comment for explanation), air is unknown because I keep forgetting to get a thermometer/hydrometer
Lights:
  • 2-light 48" 40w t12 Florescent
  • 16 CFL'S (8x5000k, 8x2700k)
  • Plan on building a fixture based on FlyingPanFlyer's post on Roseman's CFL Light Tutorial
Vents: not at this time
Insects: naturally occupying ladybugs
Yield: one of life's great mysteries

Hey Buhudders! I'm in....keep it going. :popcorn: :peace:

Hi buhdders,
I just started my first hydro grow (first grow ever actually), also inspired by Roseman's tutorial. I am on day 33 from seed and so far, I haven't killed 'em! LOL Folks here are really helpful. Good luck with your grow!
Tay

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - Answer feedback

Wow, thanks for posting guys. I borrowed a cam so in my next post ill do some picks. this is to try to answer the questions.
Rosemen, the air pump im using is this one:
Active_Aqua_2-port_Air_pump.jpg

its a ActiveAqua 7.8 lpm with 2 ports.(ill get an actual pic)

As for the water heater: i bought it cause the water got extremely cold cause my back bedroom doesn't get much heat from my wood stove. without a thermometer, its gotta be at least below 50 degrees in the air. so i thought i would try to make up the cold in the air with the warmth of the water. right now im using it for germination/soaking my stones/pump. hoses, etc. i put in a 1/8th of a teaspoon of all three nutes in the water just for giggles. Im tryin to keep my pH between 5.5-6.5

Hi buhdders,
I just started my first hydro grow (first grow ever actually), also inspired by Roseman's tutorial. I am on day 33 from seed and so far, I haven't killed 'em! LOL Folks here are really helpful. Good luck with your grow!
Tay

Well hey Tay, great to see you here! I see you've got the logo in your sig, great to see. Hope to see you around a lot more.

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal -Germination *update* #1

March 5th. It has been 3 days and I have a few sprouts.pics(click for bigger pic):
seeds in weak nute solution:

seeds in plain water:

Tried taking a pic of the ones in the bag in the bubblemachine, but couldn't see anything. Nothing to see anyways. only one seed sprouted. So I guess that was a bad idea putting them in a heated reservoir tank:/ still got 20 seeds to rely on.
Gameplan: put the best sprouts directly to machine. put the rest on propagation tray as backups.

I have the rockwool and hydroton sitting in rockwool pH balancing solution (bought some stuff in a bottle you mix in water)
rockwool_and_hydrotron_soaking.JPG

Back
Top Bottom