My Very First Grow

tayrific

Kinda frustrated right now...just typed in a bunch of stuff and lost it as I was trying to figure out how to put my pix in. Oh well.

I started the seeds (4, unknown strain, given to me by a friend) in wet papertowels on the 15th, planted them in the rockwool and got the whole homemade hydro system (copied from stealth hydroponics starter kit) up and running on the 18th (when I was finally able to make it up to a very cool hydro store about 20 miles from here (had to get the hydroton, rockwool, ph test kit (no meters in stock), ph up/down, and general hydroponics nutes). I have one node on all four plants and can't stop looking at them, they're so cute!!!!

02212010_2.jpg

So this was taken yesterday morning, all four are about the same size at this point and they have gotten taller since this picture was taken.

My MD appointment is on Friday and I hope to get a medical marijuana card, I have plenty of medical history to back up my claims, but in recent years pretty much gave up on my pain management so nothing recent is documented. Hopefully Dr. will believe me that it has been ongoing and that "medical marijuana benefits outweigh the risks to this patient" as it is stated in our state code. =)

Anyway, always looking for tips and any pointers, and I have been reading, reading, reading!

Tay

Just a few thoughts

Have you done anything to prevent insects and pests in the grow area? An ounce of caution is worth a ton of cure!

Are you going to make cup covers soon so the light doesn't shine through the rocks?

READ, READ, READ is the best advise you will ever get.

Have you done anything to prevent insects and pests in the grow area? An ounce of caution is worth a ton of cure! I didn't, for a couple reasons. 1. I have lived here for 3 years and never seen any spiders or bugs inside, it's a condo unit and they spray outside a couple times a year, so I guess it's working. and 2. 0I am in Montana and it's still like 20 degrees at night. I hope (pray?) that I don't regret this later and have you say, I told you so.

Are you going to make cup covers soon so the light doesn't shine through the rocks? yeah, I had kinda forgotten about covering the cups. Do paper plates work as well as styrofoam for that?
READ, READ, READ is the best advise you will ever get.[/QUOTE]
Oh, you bet I will. =)

Okay, let's see if I can remember how to add pictures. Did some rearranging in the closet tonight. Shortened up some tubing. Lowered the lights to within an inch of plant tops (CFL's...nice and cool). I had to drain 3 gallons, or thereabouts, (you know, with gallon milk jugs) so I could remove the bottom tote (my dog's due to have pups on 3/4 and the bottom tote is actually her whelping box). Realized it would really be nice to have a water pump if ONLY for draining. I am planning to do my first complete replenish on Saturday, which would be day 12, and then every weekend to come. Okay, before I fall asleep, let me see if I can upload some pix. =)

welcome friend.these guys are right when they say to read read and keep reading.tons of great knowledge here.just about everything that you need to know is on here.looking forward to see how things go for you.i will be watchin.

Have you done anything to prevent insects and pests in the grow area? An ounce of caution is worth a ton of cure! I didn't, for a couple reasons. 1. I have lived here for 3 years and never seen any spiders or bugs inside, it's a condo unit and they spray outside a couple times a year, so I guess it's working. and 2. 0I am in Montana and it's still like 20 degrees at night. I hope (pray?) that I don't regret this later and have you say, I told you so.

Are you going to make cup covers soon so the light doesn't shine through the rocks? yeah, I had kinda forgotten about covering the cups. Do paper plates work as well as styrofoam for that?
READ, READ, READ is the best advise you will ever get.
Oh, you bet I will. =)[/QUOTE]

PAPER PLATES OR ANY PAPER OR CARDBOARD WILL WORK FINE.

I won't say I told you so, THEN, but I am telling you now, you will regret not using precaution for insects.
I bet you have never taken a part of your home, inside, and for 13 weeks elevated the moisture, the heat and the humidity. That increased heat and moisture are magnets for spider mites and gnats. It is like advertising for them or an invitation to them to come live there.
EVERY DAY, I see a new grower here post HELP, I GOT SPIDER MTIES! They come after about 10 weeks, and ruint he crop. There is a good reason we tell everyone AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A TON OF CURE!

And if you allow an animal in the house, from outside, or walk on the ground outside and wear those shoes inside, tht is how it happens.

Gettin' there...

Slowly, but surely?

Plants seem to be doing okay. I don't have near the growth that I saw in Roseman's tutorial, but then again, I don't have his experience... or his amount of lights!!!

030510_all.JPG

This is my largest one.

030510_topped_yesterday.JPG

I think I did this right!!! topped them all yesterday.

I have good news, I got my Medical Marijuana form all signed by the doc, and mailed it off today. I guess it takes 2-6 weeks to come through, but I am relieved it is in the works!!!

Tay

Wow, looks like you are doing things right! Nice set-up by the way....I grow in soil but your system looks really cool and the plants seem to look really great too!

As for your pest question...prevention is best as far as what I have learned. I use "No Pest Strips" made to hang in a closet to ward off lurking pests. You can find the strip in your local grocery store for about $6.99. Since I've been using these have had no problems with any pests.

Good luck on your grow, you're off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing more posts.

if your grow is in your house i would read the pakage on the hotshot pest strip
i think it says something about dont hang them where people would be for 4 hours or more, thats what i herd about the hotshot.
rnwy29erclr

Honestly I didn't read the package. The strip came highly recommended from a long time grower friend of mine when I had a problem with spider mites which devistated my crop at the time. It has no odor...I will look at the package when I buy another and see. Although my grow is in my house it's not really near where people are regularly.

I pray you have a safe trip, Tay.

Thanks Roseman, we are down to our last day. Vacations go by waaaay too quickly. We have to get up at oh-god-awful-dark-thirty tomorrow and be out the door at 6 a.m. This girl does not do 6 a.m. well!!!! Can't wait to get home tomorrow night and see my baby puppies and baby plants! Hoping the pups' eyes are opened and the plants have grown a few inches. =)

I'l keep ya'll posted on the latter and anyone wanting to see some adorable Cockapoo pups can check out MySpace - Winter Road Cockapoos - 33 - Female - KALISPELL, Montana - myspace.com/winter_road_cockapoos after tomorrow night for somewhat frequent updates and pictures.

Tara

Re: question on ONA gel quantity

So I have the 10 gal tote, 4 plants growing, small closet grow. How much ONA do you suppose I need? I am 4 weeks in...

Tay, I paid $17 less 10% Deep Water Culture discount for a quart jar of Ona from Stealth Hydro. I used 80% of it during the entire grow in my Odor Bucket but I did not run the Odor Bucket all day, everyday. I only used it when I expected company.

Back
Top Bottom