Rookie Growing Bag Seed Journal #1

hambone3052

I am new to the idea of keeping any sort of online journal, or blogging, or doing anything online outside of fantasy football for that fact, so please bear with me as I attempt my first ever grow journal. I'm a total rookie in the grow world, so I'm here posting looking for any and all information people are willing to give me to help the wife and I grow the top notch medical marijuana we can.

Small background on why we began growing medical marijuana to begin with. My wife was in an awful car accident in 2011 where she broke 2 of her vertebrea in her lower back due to compression. She was given numerous prescriptions from her dr, but either she was allergic (allergy to codine), or plain old muscle relaxers didn't do anything but upset her stomach. So the Dr recommended her taking Tylenol and ibuprofen to help with the pain (vicodin without the codine in it basically) Shortly after that began to make her feel nauseous, and lost her appetite. We have smoked prior to having the medical card, and my wife knew that marijuana was the best option for her pain.

Prior to my wife signing me up as her caregiver, I have never grown marijuana. Smoked it, never grew it. I gathered small amounts of info online before ordering all the things I needed online, but had no other guidance. So with my limited amount of knowledge, this is my set up:
2-450w 3w G8LED led grow lights w/ ratchet straps
4-5 gallon DWC hydroponic buckets
4" airstone
10" net pots
Grow medium is leca clay pebbles
1030 gpm 6 valve air pump (have 2 and alternate every water change)
2 fans
Portable air conditioner with dehumidifier
Cool mist humidifier
Blue Planet organic nutrients, and CALiMAGic by general hydroponics (did not have for my first grow)
4x10x8 grow tent
I'm sure I'm missing something, any questions please ask.

I'm currently on my 3rd grow, although this is the first time I've started from bagseed. I germinated 12 seeds using the paper towel method. All of them sprouted withing 2 days (surprisingly), so I transplanted eight of them into ph'd rockwool cubes. I placed them into my hot house with heat mat, and my first one sprouted by day two, and my last one sprouted by day four. Unfortunately one of them died at quite a young age leaving us seven healthy babies. I use distilled water mixed with rapid rooter and I seen my first root within a week (I don't remember which day it was). While they were in the hot house I was using one 24w 2' T-5 for light. I transplanted into red solo cups, using a mixture of FFOF, HF, and miracle grow perlite. Once I transplanted into soil, I also switched out lighting to 1 of my LED lights, which I keep about 34" above. (As u will see in my pics, I had to learn to keep the lights that far away the hard way). I keep my room about 73-76°F, 40-60% humidity, and I'm on an 18/6 light cycle. As of right now they are about 2"-4" and are working on their first node. I plan on transplanting four of them into my hydro buckets, and keeping three of them in soil. Curiosity made me decide to grow using both hydro and soil, to see which one I found fit my growing abilities, while also giving me the quality we need.

I hope all that gives you an idea of what I'm working with here. As I said above, I'm sure I left out some important info so please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. I am a newbie and am probably making a million mistakes, so I am looking to "perfect" my growing techniques. I'm hoping this grow journal will help. I will add pics shortly.

Thank you for reading, and please post post post!

1455665346749449391282.jpg

Just did a transplant and fiigured it would be a good time to post some uplated pics. Roots were starting to wrap in the bottoms of my solo cups, a surprising amount of root formation from my experience. They are experiencing a minor amount of shock from the transplant...you may see it in the pics.

14560144808101732326605.jpg
1456014432074-2055488206.jpg
1456014350000-2055488206.jpg

I like to fill my res up to the bottom of the net pots when I first start my young ones off. I have read everything from keeping the water above the leca clay, to a couple inches under so the roots have to reach for their water source. I personally like it just touching the bottom of the pots so the bubbles just barely reach my roots. Water ph at 5.8...no nutes probably for the next week or 2...lights about 30"above still. Really hoping the shock doesn't kill any of them. I've had amazing success rate on this grow...hoping to defy the odds and go 7 for 7 on females. Lol

Is anybody familiar with Blue Planet organic nutes? I've been using that for my last 2 grows and believe I'm capable of producing a higher quality bud. I recently added CALiMAGic on my last grow and I did notice a sizable upgrade in density. I keep seeing the Flora series on every other post or website....is that the best way to go? Also, are there any other nutes I could use in addition to micro/grow/bloom, and the CALiMAGic, that will help with bud production? Any help would be great cause I'm about to start nutes in the next week or two

A problem has arose folks. After doing my transplant four days ago, I believe two of my hydro plants aren't taking and the leaves are becoming limp. The other two hydro seem to be stuck in limbo, showing no noticeable growth, but at least they look healthy and strong. The soil plants are doing amazing and have about doubled in size! I added water to the hydro res thinking that maybe they just aren't getting enough water to the roots, while hoping for the best.

A major lesson has been learned this week. As I mentioned in my last post, a couple of my hydro babies were going limp and we're having problems. What I believe happened was I was using tomato cages in my setup for support, and the metal that was in the res rusted. (This was the second time I've used these cages) I did a water change as soon as I noticed the problem, and I've also removed the cages.....obviously. I have exposed roots (exposed past my leca clay) on 3 of 4 and I'm hoping the water change will pull them out of their funk. My soil plants are perky, outgrowing their pots already, and I'm thinking of already transplanting them into their 5 gallon pots tomorrow.

Let these mishaps be a lesson to all who read this journal, as I'm sure this won't be the last screw up I make this grow. I am, to the fullest, a rookie grower learning with every move I make. No variables have been the same with any of my grows, so until I learn the basics I will only continue to have these hiccups. Hopefully by reading this, it will prevent others from making the same mistakes.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom