CamelBack 1st Grow Journal - Lemon Kush On Soil & Hopefully Not An Experiment

CamelBack

Little BG on me:
*I live in a country where it's illegal to grow, and for the integrity of security, I will be keeping the info on where I live, safe for the grow environment, disclosed.
*I've grown an ample amount of bag seeds, mostly from local bud and are usually morphodites, to understand well enough that the catch in growing cannabis is making it live long enough to flower like a babe.~needless to say, growing it like a champ is of course my goal for this journal (and all your help will be more than substantial, as I admit I AM BUT A NOVICE GROWER) [thanks in advance folks, the mere fact that you're reading this means you've taken some form of interest in my grow and for that I thank you again]
*I've never harvested a plant before, the biggest ones I have are three plants currently in my grow tent, one sativa deep in flower, two pollenized by the hermie I think and won't flower
*I technically grow indoor, but start off seedlings with windowsill sunlight, timing it with strong sunlight and supplementing it with a 69w=3x23w CFL bucket.
*The aforementioned plants in the grow tent are powered by a 270w LED light(or less due to some broken diodes). This light's brand is Apollo, I got it from a local upstart hydroponics grow shop sourcing their items from the US market. And the grow ten is 60cmx60cmx140cm, so space can and will be an issue especially with the tall sativas.
*I do like to think I've an expansive range of fertlizers to choose from, as well as access to it in the local hardware stores, but I don't have access to the better cannabis ferts and nutes. All I can provide now iss a complete range of NPK food, a bottle of local organic fertilizer (showing a photo of this might divulge info on my location, I really am scared of getting caught so I must apologize for not showing anything of said nature, info will be happily provided on my part upon request) and different soils and mediums.

This wraps up my BG and I will post later on the complete details of my Lemon Kush grow
Thanks a ton,
CamelBack

re: CamelBack 1st Grow Journal - Lemon Kush On Soil & Hopefully Not An Experiment

LEMON KUSH by Female Seeds
*Mostly Indica strain from its original genetics of Hindu Kush
*Seedling (since I don't have any clue on how to post photos in threads), I'd consider this coming Saturday its first day in veg
*It will be a mostly indoor grow, since I have the power to switch the light scheme to 12/12 anytime, but I intend to use also the power of the sun for the sake of cutting a few bucks off the electricity bills (in my country electricity's effin expensive, dewd)
*Soil grow, not much is mentioned in the mix except that in my first other grows the plants have shown nute burn along with the "complete" pellet solid fertilizers I use, so it is then safe to assume that my soil is "semi-hot"
-the pot is at least 3 gallons but I had an eighth taken to line the bottom with coconut husks in lieu of perlite or other items you can use to improve soil drainage---I'm expecting a small plant for my small grow area
*The grow area is not aircooled, and it is not properly ventilated as well. I don't have the resources to improve ventilation as of this moment, and the LED light I'm using has built-in fans in it, which can only help in venting off extra humidity by opening the grow tent
*I've no way of measuring the temperature of the room, the RH and the PH of the media as of now. BUT I do use a kangen water PH device, and I've set all of my water used for feeding and watering the plants to 6.0.
*Big presence of aphids here, we live near the woods. Spider mites and thrips are the most common, and some I haven't seen yet are also pestering the plants, but the first two mentioned are the biggest culprits on my first grows.
*How often do I water... I check to see if the soil's dry enough up to the first joint from my fingertips. But usually, about once every three days. I am fairly new to feeding and watering cannabis, I used to do it every day and I apply solid fertilizers every other day.
*Fertilizers currently at my disposal: Urea solid ferts 46-0-0, complete fertilzers 14-14-14 in solid and liquid-soluble form, Peters professional yield booster 15-10-30 water-soluble, Orchid fertilizers 15-30-15 water-soluble, a 500ml bottle of organic fertilizers that says it has fish, kelp, and vermi extracts with molasses and beneficial microorganisms (it says it contains plant growth hormones and alginates and carrageenan from tropical seaweeds), and lastly, a small jar of 14-14-14 slow release fertilizers (mixed in with the medium before transplanting)

Other info will be available upon request.

Here's the Lemon Kush seedling in a small paper cup. As far as my weed-addled brain can recall, I think it broke ground and showed cotyledons three days ago. Now it has its first set of leaves.
When do you guys think I should fertilize? And how?

DSC_002693.JPG

uploading photos thread has been found by me hehehe

I am new to this too, but I'd stay away from fertilizers for the first 3-4 weeks and don't over water them ( I learned that from my own mistakes ) LOL! Looking good!

Hey there mate
Sounds like your on the right path. I would not give any nutes yet as the soil will give it everything for a few weeks, especially while young.
And like small said don't over water, cannabis plants like the dry just as much as the wet giving them dry days will also encourage roots to search for more water, thus giving you a better root ball. Yeah I have seen many mates growing bag seeds, some where ridiculously good but most where crap tbh. Getting good seeds from a good bank or breeder will help alot especially in the start. Also I believe they are more stable throughout the grow as most have been stabilised over many generation to get the best.
Hope all is going well and you and girls are in good health, il be subbing up mate.
Peace Love and Respect.
Triggz.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Copy that, smalltime2. Thanks for the input!
Thanks! It's actually my first time planting a solid strain plant as opposed to all the bagseed I experimented with.
It really is true what they say, genetics plays a big part for the plant (aesthetically for my case)

Peace and love as well, Triggz!
Right from the first set of leaves, I saw the difference of bagseed from true breeder plants.
Though my only dilemma now is the hermie bagseed plant I got in the cabinet, and it just so happens to be the only plant deep in flowering at my tent. Luckily however, I would not put the lemon kush in the grow tent for at least a week or two when I decide to cull the hermie plant for its bud. Are hermie plants capable of releasing big amounts of pollen that the whole room where the grow area located can be compromised? I do feel that's the case for the two other plants that won't flower in my tent, that they got pollinated early by the hermie plant.
Thanks, Triggz!

Hey dude, thanks man
Yeah I would always recommend a breeder or bank that stocks from good breeders. The old saying goes if you start with crap you'll end up with crap.
I wouldn't risk it at all my friend, it only takes one pollen sack to pop and one tiny bit of pollen to get caught in the fan breeze and get the whole grow. If I where you I'd take the hermie out and let the majority plants have the best space, also I would recommen that when you take out the hermie that you clean the whole area, top to bottom wipe the whole place over. Just to be safe. Also I would clean any equipment like fans just in case. Better to spend half hour cleaning that ruin 2 months of work lol .
As always hope you and the girls are in as good health as can be.
Peace Love and Respect.
Triggz.

Good luck with your seedling! Don't water it!
Well, I mean water it, but don't!
I've been lowkey drowning every seedling that comes my way until I get a reminder that it's too much.
What kind of soil are you running? How bad is your diode situation? Has it negatively impacted your previous grows?
I know it's intimidating to put info on here, but help 420 help you.
Everyone seems to want the best for you and your plants.
Good Luck. Don't ruin your crop with that hermie!

Good luck with your seedling! Don't water it!
Well, I mean water it, but don't!
I've been lowkey drowning every seedling that comes my way until I get a reminder that it's too much.
What kind of soil are you running? How bad is your diode situation? Has it negatively impacted your previous grows?
I know it's intimidating to put info on here, but help 420 help you.
Everyone seems to want the best for you and your plants.
Good Luck. Don't ruin your crop with that hermie!

I've taken a more lax approach in watering the Lemon Kush seedling, watering it with a few sprinkles a day at the very least.
The soil I used for the seedling said specifically that it's best when used for seedling. I got it from the hardware store, a local brand, it says it's a light mix of coco dust, soil, perlite and carbonized rice hull (I'll be using a different mix for transplanting to its final pot---I'll only transplant once).
The diodes aren't as bad as I think I've put it in my bg. hahaha! three broken diodes I think, so that's 270w - 9w (3w ea. diode), I still have a decent LED light. As for the light's track record, I couldn't say yet, the lights came under my possession just under a month ago, though it's fattened my hermie plant a bit.
I'm actually under the dilemma of choosing whether to cull my hermie plant and have nothing to show for my past grows/experiments except a fountain of experience (which dictates a win), but initially, I started growing with the interest of yielding because relying on the black market for your weed needs almost always never spells good in my book. Even more so now with the country as turbulent as it is than before, specially in the narco's world.
Thanks twonappyroots for checking on my grow!

QUICK UPDATE:
Day 2 Veg (1 week after showing cotyledons)
Will be leaving the Lemon Kush seedling at 24/0 on 69w CFL grow bucket until transplanting.
Can anyone suggest how I'd be able to make my soil lighter? Perlite, unfortunately, is hard to acquire here. How else can I add optimum airflow to the medium?
I got my hands on a bag of bokashi. Anyone know how bokashi works? And how bokashi is applied?
Thanks a ton!

Are hermie plants capable of releasing big amounts of pollen that the whole room where the grow area located can be compromised? I do feel that's the case for the two other plants that won't flower in my tent, that they got pollinated early by the hermie plant.
Thanks, Triggz!

Welcome CamelBack. Glad you took the time to post a journal here. Your seedling is looking nice and healthy. As to the pollen...if there is a way, it will find its way into the smallest and farthest reaches of your space...it will stick to your clothes, the smallest breeze will carry it. Safest bet is to gt rid of the hermie and scrub everything thouroughy. If your other plants havent flowered yet, then they cant have been pollenated...there needs to be flowers to pollenate. Some sativas take a looooooooong time to flower. Scrub the tent, spray down the plants with a mister, and maybe set the light to 11/13, or even 10/14 to see if you can get them to kick into gear?

For your new seedling...did I read that you mixed slow release ferts into your soil? If so, then you really shouldnt need anything for a while besides water..go easy and let it dry out a bit between waterings...you can mist the leaves a little to keep humidity up. Can we see some pics of the non-flowering plants?

:peacetwo:

QUICK UPDATE:
Day 2 Veg (1 week after showing cotyledons)
Will be leaving the Lemon Kush seedling at 24/0 on 69w CFL grow bucket until transplanting.
Can anyone suggest how I'd be able to make my soil lighter? Perlite, unfortunately, is hard to acquire here. How else can I add optimum airflow to the medium?
I got my hands on a bag of bokashi. Anyone know how bokashi works? And how bokashi is applied?
Thanks a ton!

Rice hulls or sand can be used instead of perlite...sand is heavier, but like perlight it doesnt absorb water and has the nooks and crannies to help aerate the soil. Vermiculite can absorb water, and while its a good additive to soil, it doesnt really do the same thing as perlite.

Bokashi is added to compost bins to help speed up the composting process...not something you would want to use in your pots directly.

Rice hulls or sand can be used instead of perlite...sand is heavier, but like perlight it doesnt absorb water and has the nooks and crannies to help aerate the soil. Vermiculite can absorb water, and while its a good additive to soil, it doesnt really do the same thing as perlite.

Bokashi is added to compost bins to help speed up the composting process...not something you would want to use in your pots directly.

I did get my hands on a bag of organic compost with sand in it. It's pretty pricey for its volume, but I do think it will help a lot. It's a mix formulated by the biggest agri-groups in our country, the bag's composed of the following: coco coir dust, sterilised garden soil, sand and the brand's local folia compost mix. Though I'd opt to stay with the mix I've used for my seedlings, the bag of organic compost will sure be seen from my journals along the way---succeed or fail with this grow, I'd still be taking a crack at it again and again until I harvest my first.
I used a local mix with rice hulls back from my very first grow experiment (never reached flowering), I still couldn't say rice hulls have done me good since they tend to capture extra moisture, making the soil rock hard on age. Might just be a ph problem, but I'd give it another go for the sake of learning more stuff.
I did read around somewhere that bokashi can be used to make organic teas for watering. The bokashi I have is chalked full of mycorrhiza, it says in the bag, isn't that beneficial for the plant's root system?
Thanks for the recommendations, Mouser!

Hi Camel: I've heard that vermiculite can be used to keep the soil loose and allow more air to get to the roots. Good luck with your grow!

Thanks for taking an interest on mmy grow, smalltime2!
Vermiculite is very much accessible here, but the problem with it, I've read somewhere, is that they are better used for outdoor growing as they tend to be heavier than perlite AND IT'S NOT REUSABLE.
BUT, since it's my first time really growing anything, I'd give vermiculite a shot, maybe at least 8:1 soil to vermiculite ratio.
Again, thanks, smalltime2, for the suggestion and interest in my journal!

Welcome CamelBack. Glad you took the time to post a journal here. Your seedling is looking nice and healthy. As to the pollen...if there is a way, it will find its way into the smallest and farthest reaches of your space...it will stick to your clothes, the smallest breeze will carry it. Safest bet is to gt rid of the hermie and scrub everything thouroughy. If your other plants havent flowered yet, then they cant have been pollenated...there needs to be flowers to pollenate. Some sativas take a looooooooong time to flower. Scrub the tent, spray down the plants with a mister, and maybe set the light to 11/13, or even 10/14 to see if you can get them to kick into gear?

I went on a tangent with my 12/12 cabinet, with some days leaving it with more than 12 hours of darkness. THe two other plants in the tent really won't flower, and the hard suspect I think is the hermie plant, the best the two other plants have're pre-flowers. I really do feel like I need to finish this hermie plant somehow, so maybe I'd just relocate my grow bucket with the lemon kush in it. I think the hermie plant's a month or two away from harvest, and since come December we'll be out of the country for a 2-week long vacation, that would mean leaving the lemon kush plant in veg for way longer. Or, maybe, I could start 12/12 once we leave. What're your suggestions, mouser?
:Namaste:
I done effed up planting the lemon kush at a time so precarious, but I'm up for dense foliage and longer waiting times.

Week 1 update:
Tried a few sprays with the aforementioned bottle of complete organic fertilizer yesterday, a few drops and mists on the seedling and a whole bottle on my deep in to flower hermie plant, and I have to say I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary yet. But I do think organic fertilizers show their bang in the long run, compared to chemical fertilizers which only show instant great results, as suggested by most threads I've been to.
I've decided not to scrap the hermie plant and let it finish its cycle for extra smokeables haha since I might be vegging longer than usual due to the planned family vacation to go out of the country come December.
As for the photos inside the cabinet, there isn't much in it now except for four bagseed seedlings, a regressed flowering plant back to vegging, and the often mentioned deep into flower hermie.

DSC_005548.JPG

Lastly, I might add another plant with the prospect of leaving them for two whole weeks in December. Though I'd still weigh-in the options, adding another plant's definitely on top of the list.
Hope everyone's having a good day!

Week 2 update:
Here's a look inside the 23w x 3 CFL grow bucket for my babes. The one in the middle's the Lemon Kush and the ones around it are bagseed planted a week prior to starting the Lemon grow.
Not much of an update but I think the Lemon Kush seedling's going slower than I think it should, which I think I can attribute to the amount of soil I've put in the cup vis-a-vis the other seedlings' cups.

DSC_005848.JPG

have a good day!

Midweek update!
Just transplanted the Lemon Kush to an approx. 5gal bucket. Lined the bottom with coconut husks in lieu of perlite/gravel. Had a custom mixed soil made up of custom compost, soil, sand, compost I picked up from the public market, and the mix I used on the plant for its seedling stage. Mixed with the soil's a very little amount of slow-release fertilizer 14-14-14.
As of now it's a bit droopy. Here's to hoping it recovers nicely.

DSC_009450.JPG

Have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom