Can my coil ballast take both HPS and MH?

xEnl1ghtenedx

Hey guys and gals. I bought my first HID ballast from HTG a few years ago, and I remember the reason I bought it was because they said I could use both MH and HPS in it (400W). I remember trying both of the bulbs in it, and it worked fine, but I don't want to start a fire or something with it putting a MH bulb in it for extended periods of time. I'm looking to start again after a three year hiatus and am going to get new gear, but would like to use the 400W to veg with. As far as I have read, I couldn't find anything about non-digital ballasts accepting both types of bulbs. Does anyone have any input?

If it is a magnetic 400w made for HPS only, then you can also use Phillips Ceramic Metal Halides (very good bulbs) as well as conversion Metal Halides (like the ones by ushio). I wouldn't stick anything in there unless it says that its good for HPS magnetic ballasts. Usually magnetic ballasts that can handle both types of bulbs have a switch for MH/HPS..

If it is a magnetic 400w made for HPS only, then you can also use Phillips Ceramic Metal Halides (very good bulbs) as well as conversion Metal Halides (like the ones by ushio). I wouldn't stick anything in there unless it says that its good for HPS magnetic ballasts. Usually magnetic ballasts that can handle both types of bulbs have a switch for MH/HPS..

A dual HPS/MH ballast will have a Capacitor AND an Ignitor. HPS needs to be "fired" to achieve the running power level so the Ignitor is like the glow plug in a pre-fab fireplace keeping the element heated for a much longer time while it gets up to speed, so-to-speak. Both bulbs need the Capacitor but only the HPS needs the Ignitor. The switch cuts the Ignitor out of the circuit. If you don't have at least the following four (4) items, it won't work as a dual.
1) Transformer (large, heavy, made of metal plates with usually about 6-10 wires of many colors coming out of the paper wrap.
2) Capacitor. looks like a scaled down beer can with 2 wires out 1 end
3) Ignitor: Looks like an oval shaped can that is taller than wider
4) Switch: DPDT
Hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom