:bongrip: I used to put seeds under light as soon as they touch the soil. not good for them. I'd be pissed too. a week ago I had some french lavender seeds that refused to sprout under any method and I was pissed. But its lavender :rofl:
Here's my suggestion: I use espoma seed starter, It's a lot better for the roots, and only water when dry.
1588207608954.png

once you plant the seeds, put them in the dark until they sprout. they like around 80% humidity so you're good on that front. You can also get a little seed/ clone dome, it gets real moist in there and the seeds love it. Here's the one I have.
1588207785637.png

One more thing, a seedling heat mat might be something to look into. It keeps the seedling warm so the roots explode. Vivosun makes some great mats.

Helpful info...thanks

There is really no good reason to sprout in paper towels
One good reason to use the paper towel method is that some seed banks require the grower to use this method of germination to prove the viability or inviability of one or more of the seeds they received before replacing the duds. If the grower uses a method of germination not endorsed by the seed bank, they may not replace the bad seeds. Is the paper towel method to the seeds bank's advantage? Yeah, probably so. But it's also to the growers advantage, to prove the inviability of certain seeds. Just a consideration.

One good reason to use the paper towel method is that some seed banks require the grower to use this method of germination to prove the viability or inviability of one or more of the seeds they received before replacing the duds. If the grower uses a method of germination not endorsed by the seed bank, they may not replace the bad seeds. Is the paper towel method to the seeds bank's advantage? Yeah, probably so. But it's also to the growers advantage, to prove the inviability of certain seeds. Just a consideration.

That’s what I said in the beginning of my post. To prove that the seed or seeds will in fact germinate. I think if they will sprout in paper towels they will also sprout in medium. Anyway. Have a good day and sprout however you feel most comfortable with. Lol.

@WalterGamer8... I've had similar experiences, although on a much smaller scale. To me, it honestly sounds like the seeds are too wet for too long. People use FFOF with the understanding that it is REALLY easy to over water and rot the seeds. So, the advice to use coco is very wise as it helps to keep the seeds moist but NOT too wet.

Hope this helps :goodluck:

starting in paper towel to me feels like I would be slowing down the process
considering the seed needs to orientate itself to gravity and seems to me they would be
loosing time since, once they have been finally planted they will need to re-orientation
there position again. Just feels like a lot of wasted energy that they only have a small supply of
at the start

Sh*************yt I havent been on in so long. Just check and I planted them on sunday. its friday and still no sprout. I even bought a humidity dome and have them In a humidity dome and still no sprout :oops: I heard they could sometimes take 10 days to sprout so Im just gonna keep them around because I have nothing to lose. Seedsman replaced the seeds and they already shipped so I'll have new seeds in a couple of days :)
Any luck with the beans yet?
@WalterGamer8... I've had similar experiences, although on a much smaller scale. To me, it honestly sounds like the seeds are too wet for too long. People use FFOF with the understanding that it is REALLY easy to over water and rot the seeds. So, the advice to use coco is very wise as it helps to keep the seeds moist but NOT too wet.

Hope this helps :goodluck:
Yep! I ordered some coco and Im gonna use it for the next set of seeds I have when I germ them.
starting in paper towel to me feels like I would be slowing down the process
considering the seed needs to orientate itself to gravity and seems to me they would be
loosing time since, once they have been finally planted they will need to re-orientation
there position again. Just feels like a lot of wasted energy that they only have a small supply of
at the start
Yeah you are right. I heard that touching the seed really fricks it up. I have very shaky hands and I heard to oils from ur hands could damage the seed. When I get my new seeds im probably just gonna plant it directly into soil and see what happens.
That’s what I said in the beginning of my post. To prove that the seed or seeds will in fact germinate. I think if they will sprout in paper towels they will also sprout in medium. Anyway. Have a good day and sprout however you feel most comfortable with. Lol.

Just so you know it can take time , even longer than 10 days. It also depends on how deep you originally plant them
& How Compact the soil is. When filling the pots just add the soil and pick up the pot to tap on a hard surface
to settle the soil, Dont over water the soil.

The root will grow First and longer even before it breaks the surface . Also once it does break the surface it will
be slower growing than the root system, things will be happening under the surface much more than the top so
dont be discouraged if things feel slow

I never expose new sprouts to sunlight until they are erect. I gradually expose them to partial sun as they grow to fill sun. It is easy to fry tender new sprouts. I've grown some strains that produced better with 6 or more hours of partial sun compared to those with full sun. I never grew indoors.

plant like a normal seed it will sprout

Because it is.

the only real reason to sprout in a paper towel is to see or “prove” that they will in fact sprout.

That's the only reason that gardeners germinate any other type of seed on a damp paper towel - they want to check germination rates, so they'll drop ten (or more) seeds, germinate them, then (often) pitch them afterwards, because it was just a viability test and they're not worried that the seeds expended a big chunk of their small amount of stored resources on germinating / extending a rootlet onto/into something that they'd never actually be growing in.

I can see taking extra care with a seed that cost several dollars instead of a fraction of a cent. Not really sure how that ever got equated with germinating it on a paper towel, though. Other than, "once upon a time," it worked for someone, who posted a thread on a cannabis forum, in which he told the world that the paper towel method must be the best method in the universe, and... stoners :rolleyes: .

Because it is.

That's the only reason that gardeners germinate any other type of seed on a damp paper towel - they want to check germination rates, so they'll drop ten (or more) seeds, germinate them, then (often) pitch them afterwards, because it was just a viability test and they're not worried that the seeds expended a big chunk of their small amount of stored resources on germinating / extending a rootlet onto/into something that they'd never actually be growing in.

I can see taking extra care with a seed that cost several dollars instead of a fraction of a cent. Not really sure how that ever got equated with germinating it on a paper towel, though. Other than, "once upon a time," it worked for someone, who posted a thread on a cannabis forum, in which he told the world that the paper towel method must be the best method in the universe, and... stoners :rolleyes: .
Very true bro, you are very right. A lot of people over complicated everything. I barely saw anyone say to just plant it directly into soil, but it makes the most sense. Planting into soil is basically how it works out in nature. Im gonna just f it and f the paper towel sht and next time just plant into soil.
I never expose new sprouts to sunlight until they are erect. I gradually expose them to partial sun as they grow to fill sun. It is easy to fry tender new sprouts. I've grown some strains that produced better with 6 or more hours of partial sun compared to those with full sun. I never grew indoors.
I have seeds right now in a humidity dome but I dont have any light on them because they didnt sprout. I thought about it and if the seed didnt sprout and is covered by soil why would it need light because its covered by soil, you know ?Honestly i think my seeds are bad seeds but I just have em for the hell of it, I have some new ones coming in pretty soon. I have a buddy who grows GIANT frickin plants outdoors.
Just so you know it can take time , even longer than 10 days. It also depends on how deep you originally plant them
& How Compact the soil is. When filling the pots just add the soil and pick up the pot to tap on a hard surface
to settle the soil, Dont over water the soil.

The root will grow First and longer even before it breaks the surface . Also once it does break the surface it will
be slower growing than the root system, things will be happening under the surface much more than the top so
dont be discouraged if things feel slow
Alright thanks a ton man! Its been 6 days since I planted and no sprout lmao. The seeds I had were probably bad seeds but seedsman replaced them so its all good. Right now I have them under no light because my friend told me it doesnt really make a difference about the light if they didnt sprout yet, idk tho. No sprout, but who knows they might come up in a couple days XD, right now i have them in a humidity dome on a heating pad with no light and im justing leaving them alone, what happens happens. If none of them sprout its not the worst thing in the world because I'll still have more seeds

As a few others have before me, here's my method for sprouting seeds since I ditched the paper towel method:
Jiffy peat pods, under a dome, on a folded towel on a seedling heat mat. Before placing the seed in the pod carefully scrape the seed with a knife so that a little powder comes off, but do not cut or puncture the shell. I don't soak the seeds now unless they're very old.
Hope there's something there that helps you. I've learned to keep it simple, and this works for me.
Good luck!

I have been growing for a few years and found not all seeds will germ but I will say I have a 98% success rate with seeds that do pop. I use simple methods for popping , prefer cloth rag over paper towel, soaking overnight seems a must. Nothing fancy in soil just promix with 24 hr light about a foot above them, use heating pad and dome until they have 4 top leaves not counting the feeder leafs. I agree with your hypothesis to change soil. I was always warned about exposing the root to light or human touch, Don't get discouraged.

As a few others have before me, here's my method for sprouting seeds since I ditched the paper towel method:
Jiffy peat pods, under a dome, on a folded towel on a seedling heat mat. Before placing the seed in the pod carefully scrape the seed with a knife so that a little powder comes off, but do not cut or puncture the shell. I don't soak the seeds now unless they're very old.
Hope there's something there that helps you. I've learned to keep it simple, and this works for me.
Good luck!
I could order jiffy peat pods right now, they aren’t that expensive, I might as well try them for 1 or 2 seeds. I already have a heating mat, and humidity dome so I might as well try them. When it sprouts tho do I plant the pod directly into the soil or would I have to take the seedling out?
Maybe somebody has already asked this but how deep are you planting them?
Like 1/2 inch :(
I have been growing for a few years and found not all seeds will germ but I will say I have a 98% success rate with seeds that do pop. I use simple methods for popping , prefer cloth rag over paper towel, soaking overnight seems a must. Nothing fancy in soil just promix with 24 hr light about a foot above them, use heating pad and dome until they have 4 top leaves not counting the feeder leafs. I agree with your hypothesis to change soil. I was always warned about exposing the root to light or human touch, Don't get discouraged.
Thank you! I have like 8 seeds coming in and they’re taking so long to come in because corona :( But I’m gonna germinate them all types of different ways that everyone mentioned to me. I have a heating pad and dome that I bought for them, so that’s good.

I could order jiffy peat pods right now, they aren’t that expensive, I might as well try them for 1 or 2 seeds. I already have a heating mat, and humidity dome so I might as well try them. When it sprouts tho do I plant the pod directly into the soil or would I have to take the seedling out?

Like 1/2 inch :(

Thank you! I have like 8 seeds coming in and they’re taking so long to come in because corona :( But I’m gonna germinate them all types of different ways that everyone mentioned to me. I have a heating pad and dome that I bought for them, so that’s good.
Directly in the soil. I usually wait until the tips of the roots start to poke out the sides to plant it. I don't take the mesh off of it, as you can damage the roots if they're long enough. Especially the tap root. It doesn't make any difference to the growth of the plant, but you want to remove them from your soil after harvest. They're supposed to break down, but that seems to take a few years.

I’m sure plenty will disagree with me but 1/2 an inch sounds kinda deep. I usually plant probably a quarter inch — that is, there is a quarter inch between the top of the seed and the surface of the soil. I’m sure folks will say this is too shallow but I haven’t had a lot of problems with germination.

Any issue with seed husk still attached when breaking ground ? just curious since I plant a bit deeper than
1/4 and wondering if planting more shallow would hinder the husk getting pulled off while making its way up ?

Any issue with seed husk still attached when breaking ground ? just curious since I plant a bit deeper than
1/4 and wondering if planting more shallow would hinder the husk getting pulled off while making its way up ?
I’m not going to say it hasn’t happened that the husk was still attached when the seed pushed out of the soil, but it hasn’t really been a problem.
The plant seems to be able to shrug off the seedhead anyway — it just sort of attaches to one of the cotyledons, while the true leaves grow free and clear. Worst case scenario, I’ve gently pulled it off.
My philosophy has just been to get the leaves to the light ASAP so they can start photosynthesizing, since I don’t know how much energy the seed’s got to push through.
Again, I may be dumb, but it’s worked for me. I’ve had probably 99 percent success germinating this year, though I did ruin a bunch of seedlings by using crappy soil that got waterlogged. They did sprout, though.

I’m not going to say it hasn’t happened that the husk was still attached when the seed pushed out of the soil, but it hasn’t really been a problem.
The plant seems to be able to shrug off the seedhead anyway — it just sort of attaches to one of the cotyledons, while the true leaves grow free and clear. Worst case scenario, I’ve gently pulled it off.
My philosophy has just been to get the leaves to the light ASAP so they can start photosynthesizing, since I don’t know how much energy the seed’s got to push through.
Again, I may be dumb, but it’s worked for me. I’ve had probably 99 percent success germinating this year, though I did ruin a bunch of seedlings by using crappy soil that got waterlogged. They did sprout, though.

Thanks was not thinking it dumb just curious as I also have the occasional stuck husk and have wondered
if planting deeper would help ? Sounds like we both have the same average result so leads to the
conclusion 1/4 is perfectly fine :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom