0% sprout so far with this seed bank

Dsrkmattertec54

I have a total of 12 seeds (not sure if I should mention company), so far I've had 2 super silver haze pop after 24 hrs and not have any more taproot growth in 48hrs after. I figured maybe they were waterlogged from my paper towel germination so I transferred to soil and have seen no sprout in about 3 days.

Halfway through that I got impatient and started germinating 3 cotton candy kush . Again 2 out of the 3 popped after 24 hrs but didnt show any more taproot growth after another day so I planted 1 in soil today to see if it sprouts in a few days.

Put 3 more SS Haze and 2 more CC Kush in water to see if they drop overnight.

I've used this same germ method on 4 straight seeds that made it to healthy plants right now, the only difference being I'm using tap water in a different town now.

EDIT: Current grow is from a different seed company

I guess my question is, could it possibly be not good water, or maybe its just the seeds from this company ?

So are you dropping them in water and then wet napkin? How wet is the napkin?
I typically fold it up and dip one corner in water and let it wick, then squeeze out until it stops dripping. Put seed in and usually see a taproot within 2-3 days BUT i did recently have one dudd but maybe she's a late bloomer.
I guess if you're not sure about the tap water you could try some purified water. Just stay away from distilled as it literally has nothing in it and will take nutrients away from your garden!

So are you dropping them in water and then wet napkin? How wet is the napkin?
I typically fold it up and dip one corner in water and let it wick, then squeeze out until it stops dripping. Put seed in and usually see a taproot within 2-3 days BUT i did recently have one dudd but maybe she's a late bloomer.
I guess if you're not sure about the tap water you could try some purified water. Just stay away from distilled as it literally has nothing in it and will take nutrients away from your garden!

I dont usually drop then in water to pop them. For the first 5 (and all my successful germination and sprouts prior) I just go straight to in between some wet paper towels in a container in 71 degree room and wrap the container in some clothes to keep warmth in. Has worked for me every time and I've never seen the taproot just stop growing for days after they popped which is why I'm curious.

I am super impatient I'll be the first to admit that, but something just doesnt seem right based on past experience.

I have seen seeds that pop out a tap root and don't continue to grow. Not sure what the deal is with them. Bad breeding is the easy answer. I popped one open once and found a tap root going right to dry leaves that were stuck to the shell. I don't know what cause's this. It is best to see tap root growth before potting. You have a little more control if it is out of the soil. It may help rot the seed faster buried.

I have never worried about what is in my water when I germinate them. There is a chance your new water has something in it they don't like. I wouldn't think that the water would matter that much. Easy fix is to try bottled water. Holding water for 24 hrs before using will get lots of bad stuff out of the water. If it is a major PH or metal problem letting it sit won't help much I don't think.

I have seen seeds that pop out a tap root and don't continue to grow. Not sure what the deal is with them. Bad breeding is the easy answer. I popped one open once and found a tap root going right to dry leaves that were stuck to the shell. I don't know what cause's this. It is best to see tap root growth before potting. You have a little more control if it is out of the soil. It may help rot the seed faster buried.

I have never worried about what is in my water when I germinate them. There is a chance your new water has something in it they don't like. I wouldn't think that the water would matter that much. Easy fix is to try bottled water. Holding water for 24 hrs before using will get lots of bad stuff out of the water. If it is a major PH or metal problem letting it sit won't help much I don't think.

I see. Maybe just bad genetics. I still dont have a single sprout this morning and all 5 seeds I dropped in water yesterday are still floating

Floating is bad. No telling what the problem is for sure. I don't think it is you. In most cases marijuana seeds pop and grow easily. Best to change water just to be sure. That is not the problem but it is best to be sure it is not.

Changing seed banks might help. Changing breeders is a must. Unless they have a huge reputation to fall back on. Any breeder that had seeds that didn't pop I never use again. It is not very often. Mostly because I use the same companies over and over now that I have found good ones.

Floating is bad. No telling what the problem is for sure. I don't think it is you. In most cases marijuana seeds pop and grow easily. Best to change water just to be sure. That is not the problem but it is best to be sure it is not.

Changing seed banks might help. Changing breeders is a must. Unless they have a huge reputation to fall back on. Any breeder that had seeds that didn't pop I never use again. It is not very often. Mostly because I use the same companies over and over now that I have found good ones.

I'm almost positive it's definitely the seeds and not something I'm doing wrong...getting atleast one to sprout should be the easy part...lol

Im contacting the company. I know some companies offer replacement or money back guarantee for a high germination rate. I guess I got what I deserved for trying to save some money on sale beans. :confused:

I'm almost positive it's definitely the seeds and not something I'm doing wrong...getting atleast one to sprout should be the easy part...lol

Im contacting the company. I know some companies offer replacement or money back guarantee for a high germination rate. I guess I got what I deserved for trying to save some money on sale beans. :confused:

Yeah unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for, albeit there is lots of folks out there selling overpriced garbage also. The magic of the Internet is nice, so research and research some more as if you can't find much info or reviews of a seed place or a specific breeder it is a "red flag" so to speak, though a bunch of great reviews doesn't always mean anything as folks give themselves reviews or have friends do a bunch too. Many folks here soak for 24 hours and then do whatever they do from there (personally I go right into my dirt in a yogurt cup from soak as I screw more up doing the paper towel thing than just letting nature do it's thing), I've never had a floater actually pop when I have tried if they don't sink after 24 hours, as someone posted above that is usually a bad sign and not a viable bean.

It popped open and put out a tap root but stopped growing? I dont see how this is necessarily the breeders fault. So many factors.

Are you in a cold climate? Were they shipped in inclemate weather? Could be too wet or not wet enough. what about inside temp? Is it colder now then the last time you started seeds and are they kept on a place that is warm but doesnt get too hot, like a seedling heat mat? Maybe try using rooters or direct to soil instead of the paper towel. Damaging the tap is a possibility. Good luck.

It popped open and put out a tap root but stopped growing? I dont see how this is necessarily the breeders fault. So many factors.

Are you in a cold climate? Were they shipped in inclemate weather? Could be too wet or not wet enough. what about inside temp? Is it colder now then the last time you started seeds and are they kept on a place that is warm but doesnt get too hot, like a seedling heat mat? Maybe try using rooters or direct to soil instead of the paper towel. Damaging the tap is a possibility. Good luck.

How a breeder feeds and waters a seeded plant will effect its outcome. A seeded plant needs full nutrients all the way through the seed making process. There are lots of other factors that can effect how their seeds germinate and grow.

How a breeder feeds and waters a seeded plant will effect its outcome. A seeded plant needs full nutrients all the way through the seed making process. There are lots of other factors that can effect how their seeds germinate and grow.

I've had great luck, and 90%+ germ rates, letting my seeded buds hang awhile after harvest, like even months

Biggest thing is giving them the needed 5+ weeks to develop on the plant after pollination

But I have had some crappy strains, from breeders, that never germinated
No clue why, would love to know from the breeder why, but they never answer ya back......lol

Interesting, though that does make sense along with health of the plant and all those kind of variables. Not sure if a lot of me having better germ rates with mine is fact that they are also fresh and the others are "god knows how old they are".

I've had great luck, and 90%+ germ rates, letting my seeded buds hang awhile after harvest, like even months

Biggest thing is giving them the needed 5+ weeks to develop on the plant after pollination

I pretty much always smoke the stuff I seeded on purpose (just play old school pick out the seeds first), so they go full cycle same as I would with the non pollinated ones. Only exception was that Acapulco Gold hermie I had where I gave more of it away than I kept as I had a lot around here in Oct./Nov., but the guy at the Espresso Stand I frequent thought it was great (or so he said as can't really complain about something that is free ;) :rofl: ).

The guy I get lots of my seeds from and has helped me out through the years. Had a hybrid produce beautiful seeds. There was nothing at all in any of them. He himself had never seen anything like it. He has made seeds for years. So anything can happen.

I am also not sure how it happens. I have noticed the better the seeds are made it seems to increase the amount of females. This could just be a strain thing but I have seen it in multiple quality strains. My mentors strains regularly produce 70% female. The Mr Nice I am growing now had 4 females and 2 males. Well over the 50/50 average.

What I'm saying is there are too many factors to just assume its the breeder. It very well could be but,

He even says in the first post that the paper towel may have been too wet. The towel method works but is prone to problems by itself. If jts too wet I could see that stopping development?. Maybe try rooters next time. Can you get bad seeds? Definitely but I think majority of the time it can be attributed to bad technique.

Back
Top Bottom