CBD BudMan Outdoor Grow: Table Mountain Sativa Company & Seedsman - 2024

Seedling Update:

Meant to post sooner, but I've been busy with DIY car repairs and other obligations. Now it's time to catch up on my favorite things: :yummy:

As I reported earlier, 2 Frisian Dew seeds failed to germinate. So I decided to fill that spot with a Durban Poison feminized seed. This cultivar is also a Landrace Sativa from South Africa. So it will be interesting to compare to the others.

She popped in just 18 hours:

One day later:

Here she's now 3 days old:

Here's the entire group for my garden this season:

I've repotted the 3 older seedlings into Dixie cups a couple of days ago:

For those who may remember my grow 3 years ago, when they all flipped because of my ignorant use of a grow light...😢 I've decided to use a grow-light again this year, but far more carefully. I hope.:nervous-guy:
This time I'm only using the light from 10am to 3pm. My thinking is: because this is the brightest part of the day, it just might be safer to use a light to try to keep my seedlings from stretching so much as they sit next to a window, waiting to go outside.

And, I won't be keeping them under the light for weeks like I did before either. The 3 that are in Dixie cups in the above pic, are now outside all day long instead of under that light all day. This, I feel, will prevent them from flipping. I'm crossing my fingers... 🤞
I Love My Girls... :smokin:

Seedling Update:

Meant to post sooner, but I've been busy with DIY car repairs and other obligations. Now it's time to catch up on my favorite things: :yummy:

As I reported earlier, 2 Frisian Dew seeds failed to germinate. So I decided to fill that spot with a Durban Poison feminized seed. This cultivar is also a Landrace Sativa from South Africa. So it will be interesting to compare to the others.

She popped in just 18 hours:

One day later:

Here she's now 3 days old:

Here's the entire group for my garden this season:

I've repotted the 3 older seedlings into Dixie cups a couple of days ago:

For those who may remember my grow 3 years ago, when they all flipped because of my ignorant use of a grow light...😢 I've decided to use a grow-light again this year, but far more carefully. I hope.:nervous-guy:
This time I'm only using the light from 10am to 3pm. My thinking is: because this is the brightest part of the day, it just might be safer to use a light to try to keep my seedlings from stretching so much as they sit next to a window, waiting to go outside.

And, I won't be keeping them under the light for weeks like I did before either. The 3 that are in Dixie cups in the above pic, are now outside all day long instead of under that light all day. This, I feel, will prevent them from flipping. I'm crossing my fingers... 🤞
Spring solstice is 12/12 sunlight v night outside.
It’ll be a bit before anything is safe outside , as far as darkness goes. Seriously be careful outside now.
Use your light for a couple hours of the darkness , reducing the chance of anything going into flower.
It’s the 12 hrs of darkness that produces enough hormones to build up to cause flowering.
Also slows veg growth.
Extra light is good. Extra hrs is more beneficial now.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Spring solstice is 12/12 sunlight v night outside.
It’ll be a bit before anything is safe outside , as far as darkness goes. Seriously be careful outside now.
Use your light for a couple hours of the darkness , reducing the chance of anything going into flower.
It’s the 12 hrs of darkness that produces enough hormones to build up to cause flowering.
Also slows veg growth.
Extra light is good. Extra hrs is more beneficial now.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thank you :thanks: , but it was just this kind of thinking that got me into trouble in '21. Remember, when a cannabis plant is sprouted from seed, it's quite immature... so the hormones are not the same as a mature plant. In the wild, these little ones would be sprouting right now, just like mine, with no problems of early flowering. As long as daylight hours are getting a little bit longer each day (meaning the darkness of night is getting a little bit shorter each night) photos understand that it's still time to veg, even after they're sexually mature later on in the growing season (i.e. before Summer Solstice in the northern hemisphere). It's very important NOT to get ahead of the light/dark cycles that are naturally occurring outside my house during the veg phase, so that when I do place them outside permanently, the rhythm is the same as if they were outside their entire life... just like in nature.

Plants don't understand time measured in hours, so it's not like she realizes exactly 12 hours and goes into bloom. Yes, there is a certain threshold of darkness that triggers a sexually mature photo plant to flower, and 12 hours is longer than this minimum, which triggers blooming. So the key here is to insure that the darkness is getting a little bit shorter each night. As long as we do this, they still think it's still time to veg.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I've inadvertently omitted some important info. Let me explain: I've got my girls right up next to a window. So they "see" the daylight at the intervals set by Mother Nature in my local. My intention with the artificial light is to only supplement during the time each day that would normally be the brightest, giving them more photons during this time of the day, while also being very careful NOT to disturb what's naturally going on with the light/dark cycle right outside my window.

My concerns are:
Did I choose the right window?
Am I providing the right amount of light, at the right time of day?

You see, before 2021, I simply placed my sprouting girls against a window and let them spaghetti out real crazy as they searched for more light. They'd be falling down all over themselves because they were so tender and weak. I'm trying to remedy this with supplemental light. All I can do at this point is keep trying something different each season until I discover what works best for me. I hope I've said things in a way that's pleasant and easier to understand.

Thank you :thanks: , but it was just this kind of thinking that got me into trouble in '21. Remember, when a cannabis plant is sprouted from seed, it's quite immature... so the hormones are not the same as a mature plant. In the wild, these little ones would be sprouting right now, just like mine, with no problems of early flowering. As long as daylight hours are getting a little bit longer each day (meaning the darkness of night is getting a little bit shorter each night) photos understand that it's still time to veg, even after they're sexually mature later on in the growing season (i.e. before Summer Solstice in the northern hemisphere). It's very important NOT to get ahead of the light/dark cycles that are naturally occurring outside my house during the veg phase, so that when I do place them outside permanently, the rhythm is the same as if they were outside their entire life... just like in nature.

Plants don't understand time measured in hours, so it's not like she realizes exactly 12 hours and goes into bloom. Yes, there is a certain threshold of darkness that triggers a sexually mature photo plant to flower, and 12 hours is longer than this minimum, which triggers blooming. So the key here is to insure that the darkness is getting a little bit shorter each night. As long as we do this, they still think it's still time to veg.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I've inadvertently omitted some important info. Let me explain: I've got my girls right up next to a window. So they "see" the daylight at the intervals set by Mother Nature in my local. My intention with the artificial light is to only supplement during the time each day that would normally be the brightest, giving them more photons during this time of the day, while also being very careful NOT to disturb what's naturally going on with the light/dark cycle right outside my window.

My concerns are:

You see, before 2021, I simply placed my sprouting girls against a window and let them spaghetti out real crazy as they searched for more light. They'd be falling down all over themselves because they were so tender and weak. I'm trying to remedy this with supplemental light. All I can do at this point is keep trying something different each season until I discover what works best for me. I hope I've said things in a way that's pleasant and easier to understand.
This is all very logical and rational thinking. You can use the DLI charts based on sunrise to sunset, and then adjust your light % throughout the day. You could even do this with a smart plug and a FOR loop on a counter, increasing x.% every y.time. if you wanted to get that specific it would be cool. :D

My concerns are:

Thank you for this.
My only concern was the length of darkness causing a build up of florigen in their system.
If it's dark long enough to produce this hormone they will start to flower.
Regardless of of the minor increase of daylight over darkness.
It happens all the time to girls outside this early in the year.
They just need an extra hour or so of light.
Pretty sure it's called florigen, a hormone produced when they don't receive light.
11-12 hrs darkness produces enough to cause changes and stretching.
Don't want you to have any problems my friend. :Namaste:
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I would pop them outside and bring them in for an extra hour to hour and a half under the light. That way they are acclimated with the outdoor environment and also shouldn't stretch for the sun. When the sun is starting to set a little later than your hours light you give them, they should be fine to stay outside.
I plant regs on September 1. They show sex by October but then stay in veg until a few months later. I do this simply to sex them and get an extra month veg. If they do start flowering they go back to veg after a week or two and often you can take advantage of a semi monstercrop. You just have to know your sun and season. I use time and date for the daylight hours to get in the right zone.
They look great. Wishing you an epic grow

This is all very logical and rational thinking.
Yes, this is at the heart of who I am. I don't mean that in a boastful way at all. In fact, many have misunderstood me for this. So, I thank you for your acknowledgment. :thanks:
You can use the DLI charts based on sunrise to sunset, and then adjust your light % throughout the day. You could even do this with a smart plug and a FOR loop on a counter, increasing x.% every y.time. if you wanted to get that specific it would be cool. :D
Hmmm... I'm really liking this idea of yours. Because my budget is usually very tight, I'll have to plan on this for next season's grow. In the meantime, can you please elaborate on this more? I'd like to know best brands and methods for all of this. Thank you so much for this. :thanks:
Thank you for this.
My only concern was the length of darkness causing a build up of florigen in their system.
I love you for your goodheartedness. :green_heart: I know that you have my best interests in mind here. :thanks:
If it's dark long enough to produce this hormone they will start to flower.
The key here is "...long enough..." so, on this aspect I 100% agree with you.
Regardless of of the minor increase of daylight over darkness.
It happens all the time to girls outside this early in the year.
They just need an extra hour or so of light.
On this aspect, I do not share in your thinking. This is not a putdown, just a difference in understanding of how Mother Nature works.
Pretty sure it's called florigen, a hormone produced when they don't receive light.
11-12 hrs darkness produces enough to cause changes and stretching.
This is very true. However, there is much more going on here. If a seed is in its native environment and germinates in it's natural, proper time dictated by nature, there is never any concern on any of these things. It is when humans start meddling with nature by introducing artificial lights and all the rest, that things can go wrong, if we aren't careful.
Don't want you to have any problems my friend. :Namaste:
And I deeply appreciate this about you... You are a very good friend indeed. :thanks:
I would pop them outside and bring them in for an extra hour to hour and a half under the light. That way they are acclimated with the outdoor environment and also shouldn't stretch for the sun. When the sun is starting to set a little later than your hours light you give them, they should be fine to stay outside.
You are very insightful here.:meditate: I do the very same thing, minus the extra light later in the day, so they are acclimated early to the outdoor environment. Like you, I have found this to be very beneficial to them. :)
I plant regs on September 1. They show sex by October but then stay in veg until a few months later. I do this simply to sex them and get an extra month veg. If they do start flowering they go back to veg after a week or two and often you can take advantage of a semi monstercrop. You just have to know your sun and season. I use time and date for the daylight hours to get in the right zone.
I prefer to steer completely clear of anything and everything that's even remotely close to this. I know there's nothing "wrong" with this method and I support you for doing what works for you.:thumb: I'm more of an old-fashioned farmer type, so I prefer to follow Mother Nature as best I can, letting the plants to only show their sex at a much later stage in their life. I'd be much more open to these early sexing methods if I grew "regular" seeds. I only grow from "feminized" seeds, so this is why I choose otherwise.
They look great. Wishing you an epic grow
I'm striving for this. Thank you for the well wishes.:thanks:

I am truly grateful to all, for such wonderful support that I find here at 420magazine... :adore:

Yes, this is at the heart of who I am. I don't mean that in a boastful way at all. In fact, many have misunderstood me for this. So, I thank you for your acknowledgment. :thanks:

Hmmm... I'm really liking this idea of yours. Because my budget is usually very tight, I'll have to plan on this for next season's grow. In the meantime, can you please elaborate on this more? I'd like to know best brands and methods for all of this. Thank you so much for this. :thanks:

I love you for your goodheartedness. :green_heart: I know that you have my best interests in mind here. :thanks:

The key here is "...long enough..." so, on this aspect I 100% agree with you.

On this aspect, I do not share in your thinking. This is not a putdown, just a difference in understanding of how Mother Nature works.

This is very true. However, there is much more going on here. If a seed is in its native environment and germinates in it's natural, proper time dictated by nature, there is never any concern on any of these things. It is when humans start meddling with nature by introducing artificial lights and all the rest, that things can go wrong, if we aren't careful.

And I deeply appreciate this about you... You are a very good friend indeed. :thanks:

You are very insightful here.:meditate: I do the very same thing, minus the extra light later in the day, so they are acclimated early to the outdoor environment. Like you, I have found this to be very beneficial to them. :)

I prefer to steer completely clear of anything and everything that's even remotely close to this. I know there's nothing "wrong" with this method and I support you for doing what works for you.:thumb: I'm more of an old-fashioned farmer type, so I prefer to follow Mother Nature as best I can, letting the plants to only show their sex at a much later stage in their life. I'd be much more open to these early sexing methods if I grew "regular" seeds. I only grow from "feminized" seeds, so this is why I choose otherwise.

I'm striving for this. Thank you for the well wishes.:thanks:

I am truly grateful to all, for such wonderful support that I find here at 420magazine... :adore:
Ok I appreciate what your trying to do.
But I make that recommendation with some experience in the matter.
Hope your right and I'm wrong, I really do. :Namaste:
Your in Cali ? Right?
12/12

D930FDCB-251F-427B-B082-5E3EA6D70E02.png

Daylight 12 hrs 21 minutes
Darkness 11 hrs 39 minutes
Perfect to cause issues :Namaste:
I won't mention it again.
Like I said, I really hope your right!!
Talk soon my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I'm sorry I said I wouldn't mention it again :Namaste:
Check this thread.
Flowering too early in California

its a similar situation. :Namaste:
Not exactly the same but similar.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Ok I appreciate what your trying to do.
But I make that recommendation with some experience in the matter.
Hope your right and I'm wrong, I really do. :Namaste:
Your in Cali ? Right?
12/12

D930FDCB-251F-427B-B082-5E3EA6D70E02.png

Daylight 12 hrs 21 minutes
Darkness 11 hrs 39 minutes
Perfect to cause issues :Namaste:
So, answer me this:
If this is so "Perfect to cause issues" as you say, then why don't all of the outdoor cannabis grows in California have the same issues? And what about all of the millennia that cannabis has been on this planet, without any intervention by man? (scroll down for my answer to this)
I won't mention it again.
Like I said, I really hope your right!!
Talk soon my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I'm sorry I said I wouldn't mention it again :Namaste:
Check this thread.
Flowering too early in California

its a similar situation. :Namaste:
Not exactly the same but similar.
Not even close to my situation. Reason I say this? Please check out the very 1st line in the original post of the thread you sent me. On page 1, post 1, 1st line, he talks about an indoor light schedule of 18/6. This is the crux of his whole problem. Period. Remember, the plant is looking for longer and longer days to know that it's time to veg, and longer and longer nights to know when it's time to flower. Plants to not have a monthly calendar to consult, like people do, so they depend on the light schedule provided by Mother Nature.

My Answer To My Question To You Above:
Please indulge me in a thought experiment. 🙏 We know that photo period Cannabis looks for a lengthening of night time darkness to understand when to flower in the environment in which it's growing. Right? :thumb: So, when the plant is suddenly subjected to a vary large increase in darkness hours, especially as this longer night time darkness continues, the plant is triggered into flower. This is born out in science and not a matter of opinion. Are you with me so far? :) If this were not true, these problems would've presented themselves in the wild thousands and thousands of years ago. Check this out as to our best understanding of how long cannabis has been on earth. No artificial lights back then to mess things up... LOL. :laugh:

Please understand, I love that you have my best interests at heart. :green_heart: But we must also keep in mind that we cannabis growers have been locked into growing our plants indoors for so long, that many of us have lost sight of just how Mother Nature has been handling this all along. We can thank the prohibition of Cannabis for practically all of this. So, believe me, I understand your confusion on all this. :)

So, what I'm attempting to do is to fully mimic Mother Nature's light/dark schedule that's natural for my girls, so-as-to not disrupt the natural timing of Mother Nature and her wisdom, as to when these plants should flower. I'm hoping this clarifies why I'm doing what I'm doing. 😘
P.S. Keep in mind that, I never had any issues with early blooming until I introduced artificial lighting.

So, answer me this:
If this is so "Perfect to cause issues" as you say, then why don't all of the outdoor cannabis grows in California have the same issues? And what about all of the millennia that cannabis has been on this planet, without any intervention by man? (scroll down for my answer to this)

Not even close to my situation. Reason I say this? Please check out the very 1st line in the original post of the thread you s:hug:ent me. On page 1, post 1, 1st line, he talks about an indoor light schedule of 18/6. This is the crux of his whole problem. Period. Remember, the plant is looking for longer and longer days to know that it's time to veg, and longer and longer nights to know when it's time to flower. Plants to not have a monthly calendar to consult, like people do, so they depend on the light schedule provided by Mother Nature.

My Answer To My Question To You Above:
Please indulge me in a thought experiment. 🙏 We know that photo period Cannabis looks for a lengthening of night time darkness to understand when to flower in the environment in which it's growing. Right? :thumb: So, when the plant is suddenly subjected to a vary large increase in darkness hours, especially as this longer night time darkness continues, the plant is triggered into flower. This is born out in science and not a matter of opinion. Are you with me so far? :) If this were not true, these problems would've presented themselves in the wild thousands and thousands of years ago. Check this out as to our best understanding of how long cannabis has been on earth. No artificial lights back then to mess things up... LOL. :laugh:

Please understand, I love that you have my best interests at heart. :green_heart: But we must also keep in mind that we cannabis growers have been locked into growing our plants indoors for so long, that many of us have lost sight of just how Mother Nature has been handling this all along. We can thank the prohibition of Cannabis for practically all of this. So, believe me, I understand your confusion on all this. :)

So, what I'm attempting to do is to fully mimic Mother Nature's light/dark schedule that's natural for my girls, so-as-to not disrupt the natural timing of Mother Nature and her wisdom, as to when these plants should flower. I'm hoping this clarifies why I'm doing what I'm doing. 😘
P.S. Keep in mind that, I never had any issues with early blooming until I introduced artificial lighting.
:hug::hug:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Update On Mixing Soil:

Thursday of last week I finally got all my ingredients for my soil :) (except for greensand:(). And I've mixed everything up and into trashcans for "cooking".

Many of the ingredients are hidden in the wheelbarrow (far left).

Ready to mix:

I have discovered that GeoFlora ferts don't quite have everything my girls need to do their best, so this is the soil mix that I have found that seems to work well for growing outdoors. Only thing missing is some of the greensand. My local hydro store can no longer get any, and amazon will take 14 more days to deliver it to me. So, I'm going with the greensand I have leftover from before, which is only half the amount I'd like to add. I'm hoping these genetics won't need as much greensand to deal with the summer heat... 🤞 We'll see what happens.

You can throw up to 39 celcuis for a few days without any issues. They thrive in sun and heat. I've never added greensand, ever and I've grown then for years.
That soil looks like it's got a great healthy colour.
Winning.
When will they go into the ground?

Update On Mixing Soil:

Thursday of last week I finally got all my ingredients for my soil :) (except for greensand:(). And I've mixed everything up and into trashcans for "cooking".

Many of the ingredients are hidden in the wheel barrow (far left).

Ready to mix:

I have discovered that GeoFlora ferts don't quite have everything my girls need to do their best, so this is the soil mix that I have found that seems to work well for growing outdoors. Only thing missing is some of the greensand. My local hydro store can no longer get any, and amazon will take 14 more days to deliver it to me. So, I'm going with the greensand I have leftover from before, which is only half the amount I'd like to add. I'm hoping these genetics won't need as much greensand to deal with the summer heat... 🤞 We'll see what happens.
Great idea with the pool. :thumb:
Sorry about the greensand. :Namaste:
Glad things are moving forward though.
How are the girls doing?
Still enjoying that wonderful California Sun.:yahoo:☀️

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Thank you @Lerugged for this. Your experience with these cultivars is deeply appreciated, as I've never grown these particular ones before. :thanks:
You can throw up to 39 celcuis for a few days without any issues.
What about longer time periods with temps up to 46º Celsius? We can get temps of 38ºC to 46ºC for weeks without a break.
They thrive in sun and heat. I've never added greensand, ever and I've grown then for years.
This is soooo good to hear from someone who's actually grown these! Do you think I should put up a shade cloth? I have a white 40% shade cloth that I've used for previous grows that I can use, if needed. Thoughts?
That soil looks like it's got a great healthy colour.
Winning.
Well, that's what I'm hoping for... 🤞
When will they go into the ground?
I'm thinking May 1st... not sure yet.

Great idea with the pool. :thumb:
Yes, this works great! Not sure where I got the idea from... not me though.... either in a book or online somewhere, years ago when I was using SubCool's super soil mixes of my own.
Sorry about the greensand. :Namaste:
Turns out, I may not even need it after all.
Glad things are moving forward though.
I am too. Only wish I knew about not needing the greensand. I could've started so much sooner. Oh well. 😒
How are the girls doing?
Still enjoying that wonderful California Sun.:yahoo:☀️
Oh yes! They're back in the sun 🌞 this morning after 2 days of hiding inside because of heavy rains. ⛈️
Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom