ClosetCase420's - RDWC - 600W MH/HPS - Wonder Woman - Grow Journal - 2015

Res changes never hurt. The only thing is if the problem is in the net pot (like some bad disease in a Rockwool cube) then you wont have fixed it. In DWC I always recommend when in doubt...dump it out.

I would use up the hydroguard because it is just going to go to waste. Many people love it...it is based on good stuff. These bacteria only need to be added once every 2 weeks or so. But if you are into using them then it is a good idea to do it at each new res. unless you are dumping weekly. I go not less than a month per res and if I pay attention I will go all the way through veg on one res. I will dump when I want to change the base. But I do some fancy things right before to get the puberty thing to happen fast so I can sex them immediately. So I like to dump after all that jazz. You don't need to do any of that.

Here is a little trick I do when adding either Bacteria of Fungus...I would recommend taking the hydroguard and diluting the stuff a little into either res water or top off water and then introducing it to the res through the net pots. So for example you get a 2 cup measuring cup. dip out some res water. In your case add 1/5 of the amount of hydroguard you plan to add to the res to the cup of res water. Then dump that through one of the pots. Continue on all 5 pots and then the bacteria and fungi will have a good chance at taking hold in the top roots.

As long as the hydroguard is still alive I would use it up because it doesn't last forever. I have never used either of those but both are supposed to be good stuff. Like with any additive or nute product...it is about how and when you use it and how healthy the plants are and how happy the environment is. Many people are brand loyal but I think the issue is more about technique and knowledge. I bet either will work nicely if done right. No...I know both will work nicely if used correctly.

Yeah...well they don't hurt or work against each other. Orca is just Hydroguard plus some more stuff as far as I understand. There is little point in over dosing this. It wont hurt just there is only so much food down there and if they consume it all right away then they just die faster.

Again if you have no problem in the baskets, then the res dump will likely fix any problems created by that lockout from that very low pH swing.

These are just good to have additives when you want to go that route.

I went ahead and did a full water change just now.

Here is the whiteboard before I erased it. This is the completed PH/PPM for weeks 2-4.

20151205_130402.jpg

no accidents happen and they will be totally fine.

Your white board says for the last thing current 5.3 Does that mean you refilled the res with 5.3 res water?

Your roots are A+ and the one pic showing the greens look great good job so far!

I wasn't so much worried about breaking the branch. More so about how easily it snapped.

The board was labeled from top to bottom so Current at the top was what I was running before the water change. The latest PH/PPM is at the bottom which is 6.3/688, about 155 PPM higher than the previous tank.

I guess since there is more beneficial bacteria in the Ocra I'll go ahead and add a smaller dosage of it to the tank. It won't burn the plants right?

Thanks.. I appreciate your support.

Sorry I missed there was a question...

Yes fresh greens snap like that and it is actually a good sign. Also you are learning about how fragile fresh growth is so there is always a silver lining.

Thanks on the clarification I think we should be good to go. Did you take a reading a few hours later?

No this will not burn the plants. This is not nutes. In fact the plants will not take up any of the bacteria. The bacteria may break down some stuff making it more accessible and then we may have more available nutes but that wont be a big deal.

The Orca has Glomus. That is a fungus that works symbiotically with the roots. They provide mainly a transport path for Phosphorus but consume sugars from the plant. So some of the photosynthesis is now going to those fungi but it is very small and worth it in general and we can always add some sugars into the res to counter balance that if we want too. But you will not notice any of this. The fungus is working symbiotically and will not harm the plant that just is killing itself. it will shut down first and hibernate. More important is the second thing it does is store up phosphorus and when the res gets low on this it is readily available in the fungi. Now the plants will have self regulation of this nute.

It's all good stuff.

I just read on the Botanicare web site that Hydro guard is good for 2 years from date on package but only 6 months from the time you open the bottle. I would bet the same is true for Orca so think about opening the Orca after using up the botanicare if that is already opened up.

Did you take a reading a few hours later?

I did. Last night it was 6.7 / 665
I know it was high but figured it was still mixing so I'd just test again this morning.
This morning it was 6.8 / 675 so I was wrong.
I went ahead and added PH down to bring the PH down to 5.9
The PPM also increased to 700 when I added the PH down.
So my base number for this tank is 5.9 / 700

So some of the photosynthesis is now going to those fungi but it is very small and worth it in general and we can always add some sugars into the res to counter balance that if we want too.

In the HygroHybrid videos he uses GH Flora Nectar.
Do you suggest picking some up to add to the mixture?
"Contains all natural raw cane sugar, molasses, malt syrup, esters, L-amino acids, vitamins and essential minerals"
Would that increase the PPM levels of the tank? Possibly burn plants or no?

I just read on the Botanicare web site that Hydro guard is good for 2 years from date on package but only 6 months from the time you open the bottle.

Well poop. I have a HG that is unopened but the one I just has definitely been open for more than 6 months as I used it on the last 2 grows. I'm going to have to do another full water change again aren't I.

No they probably wont hurt just wont help much.

Everybody makes some sort of sugar additive with amino acids. Grab one it will help in a number of ways. And no it wont burn in fact it can help reduce burn. Burn comes when the nute concentration is too high for the photosynthesis going on. Photosynthesis creates sugars. by adding pre-broken down sugars you are essentially adding supplementary sugars that is like free photosynthesis. Normally this doesn't matter. It is primarily used in late bloom when the fan leaves are failing and you are trying to flush out nutes.

I always make sure to just use up my bacteria, if I buy some, in each grow and get a new bottle for each grow.

If you start adding fungi then sugars can help them not steal from the plant but that is not a big deal to worry about. You have lots of good fan leaves making all the sugars you need right now.

This is a very old school thing that growers have done forever. Just do some research on using molasses and you will find a ton of postings and web sights explaining proper use. there is a lot to say I wouldn't want to miss something trying to fit a book into a post.

If the level is going up still I would lower it slowly over the rest of today down to about 5.5-5.4 and then let it rise back. It should stabilize after a few runs.

I am pretty sure my PH meter is giving me bad readings.

I took three cups and took samples back to back to back from the tank.

I then moved the PH pen from one cup to another and each had a different reading and when I say different I meant like 3.8 through 5.9

I was trying to clean off the bulb and the encasing broke.

Oh well, I've been using it for 2 years so I guess it's about time for a replacement.

I went ahead and just bought another one of the same type to use throughout this grow.
In trying to read up about PH meters I stumbled upon Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect, sounds nice for my next grow :)

So I know pH meters are expensive but it is one of the most valuable tools and you absolutely can not run DWC without it. I had one of those cheap o ones for a while..I went ahead and got a good one and I have been very happy about the purchase.

You also need to be calibrating regularly.

Anyway AN pH perfect is very popular and a very good program. The base nute are well worth it but the problem is the pH buffers wear out after 5 to 7 days. so they don't really help the way I run a res. if you are into dumping it every 2 weeks or faster then you can go full bore with them. I have read of people who follow the program and dump weekly and never use their pH pen. I would not recommend this for a beginner. Even if you are using it it is good to watch it and learn. But understand what they have done. They hammered the square peg into the round hole. They have figured out the popper over dose and under dose of nutes to get it to absorb in proper ratios while maintaining a tight pH. They dialed it into the most popular pH so it stays stable where most people like it.

They are also the most expensive program out there I think. So I figured out how to make most of the stuff in the additives myself. But the base nutes are not a bad place to go for a beginner. Many pros stick with it too. It is real good stuff.

So anyway what you are telling me is all of this was for nothing and you never had a problem :rofl: LOL

Back
Top Bottom