Wonder Woman Grow Journal 2016

I think the difference between this grow and the previous grows was my failure to monitor the PH for the first several weeks. I was trusting the AN PH Perfect and smoked way too much. My guess is that PH was way too high for a long time which caused her to really struggle taking in any water much less nutrients. Hopefully now that things are dialed in she'll prove me right and take off.

Just a real quick update, looks like she drank almost a full gallon last night.

Current reading 6.1 610

Instead of topping her off today I think I'll let it go a couple days. I'm assuming tomorrow she will be around 6.3 620 and then the day after 6.5 640. If I'm correct that is when I'll add back a few gallons to the res.

naw you keep reading this wrong...that isn't how it works and you don't want to do it that way. If you do not stop doing the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do this will get very troublesome.

You were at 5.9 580 which is still a bit too high PPM but not bad. I keep saying closer to 400...for like a week now.

Then she drank a bunch and got to 6.1 610

That means the res is still too high of concentration and she is forcing nutes out of solution into other water to take on water. She needs to be diluted not increased in concentration.

What you described doing will force increased concentration. By doing nothing you are making things worse. The plant is struggling to take on water that is why the concentration went up. You don't want to strangle her worse.

Any time the PPM changes from reading to reading you have a problem in your res. It may just be your PPM but the plant should be taking up nutes and water evenly. The only exception is really dirty water that has stuff in it the plant is not taking up which may be your situation.

In any case the PPM should stay about the same as the water drops or you have the concentration wrong. That is a bigger issue than people care to make of it and is a bigger deal than what most people talk about having problems with. Having the PPM dialed in solves so many problems. Not having it there causes havoc.

You need to dilute it back. If she drank a gallon then put in a gallon and try to get the PPM back down.

I would not add the tea at this point until you get the PPMs under control. This is not something to play with. If you can't get the PPM under control then we can't have you dumping in high concentration solutions like teas.

Get that res right before doing anything else. 450ppm 5.6pH.

Do it manually to get the res correct and stabilize it the hard way first. Pull out water add in dilution do what you have to and force that thing to a good spot. The infection is likely taken care of now get the darn res somewhat close to reasonable. then see what is wrong. but you have been strangling that poor thing for so long now.

If you ever take a reading and the PPM changes you "have to" make a correction of some sort. It should only change PPM when you force it by introducing something. It happens all the time and things can ride a while out a bit but in general the uptake should be even. When it is not we must correct it.

yeah thanks...WE never squared on that...but this is the why... we don't know about that last 120. It may not be usable salts. Some might be.

If the concentration stayed exactly the same then either it is taking on as much as it is leaving behind or it is all usable and taking it all on.

Usually it is somewhere in between and not taking on some running up the PPM slowly but very slowly like a few points a day not what you saw.

So you are running effectively a 480 PPM that went up to 590 overnight.

Normally if all is good you would see that maybe go up to like 490 worst.

So what all that means is... 480 is still too strong... and I am telling you it is just because you ran them so long so high they need to unwind. But it took on a gallon overnight whatever...so it is working again. Remember it wasn't even transporting and transpiring before??? Now the chemical reactions can happen since things can mechanically move around now.

If you wanna add some tea tomorrow I would dilute it now and prep it a bit.

Most people dilute there tea when adding it but I never have. You may want to do some math and add the same amount you want diluted to the PPM you need.

I find it easier to add the tea and work it back to normal. It really isn't hard when you get the hang of it...I sit back and just watch it happen. Top off with something at the concentration and pH I want to be at for that week. The res will land somewhere between where it is and where it should be and that is great. Not much shock. All I ever do is top of with the correct PPM and pH for that stage of growth and that is it really. It is always just getting a little closer and usually in the ideal range already.

After diluting the res to 540 on the 15th it has been stable for the last few days.

I've been taking measurements essentially every 12 hours or so to see how it's progressing.
+12 hours - 6.1 540
+12 hours - 6.0 550
+12 hours - 5.8 540
+12 hours - 5.5 560
at this point the res was down almost 4 gallons so I topped it off with tap & CalMag
+12 hours - 5.9 520
+12 hours - 5.7 520 (this is current)

So it looks like low to mid 500s is my sweet spot right now. Why is the PH going down as the water level is going down?

Mostly that looks like it is dropping pH and going up in PPM just like before just not as bad.

It is still going down but it is not so bad. You just keep doing what you are doing and you are fine. Did you put tea in on Sunday?

If it were a little more diluted it might start to go up a bit. But you are doing fine I think.

She seems to really like this low 500 number and PH has been steady in the high 5s.

1/19 was 5.7 / 510
1/20 was 5.8 / 490

I'm guessing the res is down between 4 to 5 gallons, not bad for 3 days.

I'll try and take a couple pictures later. I'm trying to decide how much longer I should wait to flower. There isn't much space left around the SCROG and Wonder Woman tends to really stretch the first week of flower. I like how their feeding now and are doing better so I don't want to rush into flower but at the same time I don't want to let it grow to large in veg and become a real problem in flower.

LOL...Your first grow here sure got packed in there....:biglaugh:

You can always chop it back...For those of us doing it for themselves a few extra days don't matter to manicure it just right before bloom.

I am telling ya people use too much stuff in general and then fight the process the whole time with chemicals. If you set it up right it just works.

So hey yeah you were at peak bloom PPM when we started with a plant maybe half way through veg so still early veg. You just need to understand 800 is the max you would ever need (plus your water ppm). You do not have a top grade setup. You are not running perfect climate controls and airflow and CO2...you will never reach the high PPM some people get and you should never try. The PPM should be what the plant wants not what you want it to be. And no plant asks for 1400 PPM people just force it.

High nutes does not make anything better. Let the readings be your guide and follow generally the product lines schedule until you know the strain by documenting it in your setup. Your man made environment quality matters.

Things have been going great. Every day she gets a little bigger. The new roots are looking amazing and she is consuming a good 1 - 1.5 gallons a day.

A couple pictures from today..

20170125_144005_800x450_.jpg

20170125_143955_800x450_.jpg

On 1/20 she was 5.8 / 490, today she is 6.2 / 450, down about 7 gallons. I've been checking the PPM every day and she has been very steady, slowly dropping.

I want to do the switch to flower and bloom nutes so I'm going to run her for about 3 more days until the res is about empty and fill up with a new solution using the bloom nutes. The question I have is if I am trying to hold a steady 500 right now (100 base + 400 nute) do I still want the same this early in flower? When do you ramp it up?

So it is time to start considering Lollipoping and setting her up for bloom as you said. That process may induce some stress which may reduce uptake but not likely. You know what you are doing now. So we don't want to change too much too fast but she is healthy and good to go.

So I would do some underbrush cleaning and start the transition as you still got some stretch to deal with. Then...well the more you grow the more you know...but it aint about how many tops you have so you may want to trim again post stretch we shale see but she is real bushy.

Your setup has inherent airflow issues so you wont want it too packed as we have talked about many times. Actually this one is way better than your first I think.

Perfection cannot be achieved.

Back to the PPM...I save it for last because all that other stuff matters right. So my answer always is do not follow a schedule until you have documented in this grow operation the process for this strain. The quality of the artificial environment matters. Once you have a god run down that worked well that was documented you can make a schedule.

Until then you want to read the res and do what the plant tells you.

It is dropping PPM so it is sucking up lots of stuff now meaning you are under feeding...but not by much I suspect.

So I would go up a smidgen. her physiology suggests closer to the 550 range...in a great setup that might run even at 600 growing fast...which sounds like she is doing now. 1.5 gallons a day is good uptake so the water does not need a lot of nutes...

I told you that you wouldn't believe how well clean roots work. :thedoubletake:

Nice job so far. Thanks for the update! Keep on relaxing and don't push her just listen and respond.

By the way now you are on "schedule". I told yo many times after getting this back in line 1 -1.5 a day per plant so be ready to be making top off regular. I usually do more like 4-5 plants so I am mixing up a bucket each day.

So when I add 5 gallons each day to a 27 gallon res I can maintain easy control of PPM and pH with said top off. Like I stated previously...just keep adding a top of at what you want it to be and it will land in between and be great.

I've been trying to find time to post.

On Friday I switched the lights to 12-12.

Yesterday I went ahead and trimmed off a lot of the under growth. Nice and clean now..

20170128_120115_800x450_.jpg

I have no idea why its rotated, the gallery here keeps rotating it after I upload.

You have mentioned air flow a couple times, do you have a suggestion to improve the air flow?

I also dumped the res and refilled with a mix of bloom nutes. I took another tote and filled it with 15 gallons of tap water. It read 120PPM. This is where I get thrown off. Per the label I should be using 4ml per liter for weeks 1 through 6 of bloom. My 15 gallon res is 56 liters, thats 224 ml of Sensi A and 224 ml of Sensi B. I put in 80ml of Sensi A and 80ml of Sensi B and the water went from 120 to 560. That is with nothing else in it at all. If I were to put in the recommended amounts the water would be 1500+. Why are the recommendations so high? To continue on with that I wanted to make sure I got CalMag into the water as well so I added 45ml of CalMag, this shot the PPM over 800 which is way more than I want right now. I filled the res with about 13 gallons from this mix and 2 gallons straight from the tap to try and dilute her down. This morning she is at 650 PPM and down about a gallon. I'm going to top it off tomorrow with tap again to try and bring the mix back down to the 500s.

I have to run just now but go to their website. there used to be a feed schedule posted. paste it here and we can talk about it. it will be similar to the one I keep posting you that shows the PPM (EC) change over the grow.

There is not enough room on the label to put an entire feed schedule. what they have on there is not right. It is good for a lot of it. They expect you to have a bigger plant before blooming. But also that isn't too far off so it may work.

Last time the plant was saying up the nutes.

Each week or really stage of growth and size the plant has different needs. As it grows it does more photosynthesis and needs more food.

Through mid bloom you are slowly increasing then you peak and hold then you drop off fast at the end.

The EC is the same as PPM

CCH2O-Recommendations-Graph-1024x743.jpg

Back
Top Bottom