Cannabis 1's DIY DWC & RDWC

Toker just shot me a great idea. We can buy a small sump pump and simply drop them into the containers to pump that water out. No more modifications needed! I really think this is the best way. Ill be ordering a small one this week....

Ok guys, here is a few updates.

I removed both of my Chronic ladies and put them into individual systems. I used my 14 gallon Brute container which hold 10 gallons. Forgive all the Gorilla tape on it. I had pre drilled a hole for the 6 inch net cups, so I had to keep the big lady in the cover of the old DWC for support. Also, she only had a 4 inch net cup, so the old cover also acts as a lid to block the light. Looks dont matter, only the final product does!!
20140916_223150.jpg

I kept the smaller clone in the tray overnight, and got her into another 5 Gallon DWC. Now, I plan to start my CS spraying on her. Ill hopefully be able to make myself some fem seed like toker.
20140916_001455.jpg
20140916_001509.jpg
20140916_223202.jpg

20140916_223541.jpg

Here is the Liberty Haze and Sour Diesel. The other Sour had some sort of small bugs on it, so I had to remove that from the garden as soon as I could. I did check all the other plants, and none had any bugs, so Im guessing that they came into the tent inside the pot I used to start it in.....
20140916_223215.jpg

Yea we could drop a sump pump in the totes, by we're already using a 700GPH water pump, and that would mean going to buy a sump pump, when you could buy a PVC "T" and a male or female adapter for like a dollar or two, does the same effect for like 1/20th the price, and without having to use any more electricity as well.

Also, i'm not really worried about leaving a couple gallons of water in the system. Thats why i run the Tea. Drain MOST of the water out and top off with fresh nutrient mixture. Then a few days later, add a Tea, half as a root drench and the rest into the res and you're golden. I need to spend my money on other things instead of sump pumps!!

HAHAH, Yes, Yes and HELL YESS!!! LOL.

My main concern is the extra added weight on the pump cover. Gotta get to work here, so we can go tit for tat in a little bit...

Ok guys first thing is first, I have some horrible news.

In a prior post, I mentioned one of my Sour Diesel having little white bugs all over it. I removed it from the garden, but apparently, I missed spotting the bugs on the other plants. I was doing a little defo on the Chronics and I spotted them on the underside of the leaves. I was going f'n crazy guys. I immediately removed them and inspected the other 3 babies. But, I was to late.

They were all over every plant in the garden. I dont know where the f they came from. Either they came in on the pots I used for the Sour, or more likley, they came into the tent on the Chronic clones that were set outside the tent in the basement the last 2 months of my first grow. I had no choice but to scrap everything. I rinsed my tubs out yesterday, but tonight, I will bleach everything that was inside the tent, as well as the entire interior of the tent. I did try and get a few pics, but they were so small you couldn't see anything.

The worst part is I used some KICK ASS Liberty Haze seeds that cost me a pretty penny...

I guess this was an omen. I am going to take the next few weeks off, and come back with a vengeance! Ill keep up with all of your journals in the meantime......

And GT, I didn't really think about that, but your right. I guess we could leave a small amount of that water in there, and just fill'm back up with fresh water, plus the tea.

My only concern is getting rid of all the crap still in the systems after the flush out. While I was using my original Superflow system, you couldn't remove the lid because of the way the pump and flood trays were set up. I rinsed It with every res change, but it got to the point where it was impossible to clean it out completely and the crap built up quick. But like you said, we can add the tea to turn the crap into some beneficials.

Thanks MF. It really sucks, but at least I wasn't a few months into the grow. 3 weeks are what was wasted, plus the clones. Live and learn guys. From now on, I will make a god damn clean room to enter before my tent!

Thanks guys. I think your right GT. Probably would have been 1/2 lb each. =(

I did get everything disinfected last night. The entire tent and its contents. Every night for the next few days, I am going to spray everything down with the bleach water and let it air dry in the tent. I think by Sunday I'll be 100% positive that any and all germs, bacteria, and bugs are gone.

Man what a horrible week. Between my Hot Pink lady getting eaten, and this infestation, I lost everything except my Hawaiian Skunk Haze. I think next year with my outdoor ladies I will fence an area off. Im not to worried about it being discovered. More worried about the damn animals!

Definitely make a fence and then make a chicken wire cage for the plant to grow in so you can train it to bush out through out the late spring and summer months.

I'm going to make a video of my grow areas later this evening around 8 or 830. Thats just after the lights in the big tent go on, and just before the lights in the grow box go out. I got the maintenance guy coming again to finish the repairs on my kitchen sink, bathroom sink and garburator some time this afternoon, then once he's gone, i'm getting to drilling some holes to see if those bushing are going to work or not.. either way i'm sending them back cause i got the right ones on order right now.

WOW That is one hell of a pump! I figured most people used fountain or aquarium pumps!

Sorry to hear about the bugs, I'm in the same boat but i'm going to let it run it's course and then give it a wicked clean.

What kind of defenses do you use outdoors? Any dog hair? Pee? Cayenne spray? Sorry to hear that pink lady was lovely looking!

Looking forward to the next grow!

Thanks J! Yea, that pump is a beast. It looks like white water rapids with the pump and air stones going.
Depending how far along your grow is, its better to just finish flowering them. With mine, I was only about 20 days in, so it made more sense to scratch everything and disinfect my room.

The only defense I have outdoors is some deer and rabbit spray. It works but if I get any rain it washes away, and I have to go put more down. Next year I will get some chicken wire and wrap the whole outdoor garden.

Alright guys, Im back in business. I got the tent disinfected over the past 5 days. I am positive there are no germs or bugs in that tent now. I got my RDWC hooked back up and running right now. I actually had a problem with my res. When I removed the RDWC and sprayed it down, i had to remove all the pvc and uniseals. When I pulled one side out, it actually tore the plastic.

So I had to get another garbage can to replace that one. So for your guys info, the pipes and uni's can be removed, but be careful with the thinner plastic res or bins. The brute containers were no problem pulling them out and putting them back in. Now Im glad that I added the 2 inch unions to break the system down because removing the pipes again will result in another torn Res.

Last night, I started a new batch of ladies. I started another Liberty Haze, Afghan Kush x White Widow, and Sour Diesel. The Sour will be kept in a pot with rockwool while the other 2 will be going into the RDWC.

The last order of business is to order a 4x4 or 5x5 tent and some LEDS. I will dedicate that to vegging and leave the big tent for flowering. Then hopefully I can get a perpetual harvest going. 2 Plants every 2 months.

Man.. you just keep throwing plants into that RDWC eh?

we ever gona get to doing this THC bomb grow? haha

I think the beanhoarder in me is itching to pop some more beans.

I think subliminally, popping beans is my most exciting part. Harvest, not so much.. The trimming and trimming and trimming and trimming... cant i just smoke it already??? hahah.

Glad to hear you are coming back with a vengeance!! I'll be rooting for you buddy!

LOL, thats all I have to use at this point. The old Ebb & Flow was to small for the monsters we are growing. Plus I modified it, so there is no going back to that old system.

I'll do the THC Bomb as soon as your ready. If we time it right, I can flower my most recent ladies while getting the THC Bomb ready for veg. So say approx 2 months or so? You let me know when is a good time for you and Ill schedule my grow accordingly. You have alot more going on then me......

I agree with the bean hoarding. I just cant have enough on hand lol. And yea, I enjoy starting the ladies. The worst is the trim trim trim!!

Anyway thanks GT! I am going to order a box of the 1/2 inch RW today. I will use them the same as my prior grow, or like you and the Cap. Hand water and feed until they are big enough to go into the small DWC. Then into the flower tent.

Honestly, i think doing a Capn-Style flowering container (SuperRoots AirPot on top of a tough tote with water pump running to a drip ring) is almost as efficient as our RDWC systems. By that I mean the ability to leave the plants for a couple days and not worrying about something going wrong. And look at his yields. Always a LB if not damn close to it. Thats why i have been following his advice basically since i joined this site. he has been following me since i started and has passed on an invaluable amount of knowledge.

Heres a simple Capn-Style flowering set up:
CapnStyle51.jpg

I already have 10 Super Roots Air pots (4 are in use currently by plants, and 4 are being used to hold up the Flood table haha. Dont worry, building the PVC stand today. I'm a lazy shit i know!! I get sidetracked doing so many other things at my place!)

a 185 GPH water pump in the Res on a timer to irrigate 2 times a day for 5-15 mins.

*Optional* an airstone for aeration. Not needed tho as your roots aren't sitting in water

I still wanna do the RDWC, dont get me wrong, but I want to do something like what i just showed you for the BC Sweet Tooth. Its easy and cheap to set up.

When i bought the 10" top hats (net pots) i found out they snap on perfectly to a 5gal bucket. I'm thinking of somehow implementing like the top 3-6 inches of a 5gal bucket by cutting a hole just big enough for the bucket to slide into the tough box totes (cause a 5gal bucket is tapered at the bottom right?), then i can just snap the net pots onto the buckets i'll have stuffed into the totes. I will obviously cut the bottom 1/2 of the bucket off so the roots can do their thing.

I will draw up a rough sketch for you.. give me a few moments!

Back
Top Bottom