paintedbudman

I haven't written a grow log in a while but I thought that I would do it again as a way to pass the time while I practice this new thing called social distancing. I feel I was born for this ..... been doing it my whole life. Recently Nirvana Seeds starting selling a strain called K2. Very high on the THC scale. They claim 18-25% but we will see. My grow chamber still has the last week or so of an OG Kush Auto growing in it but the plan is to harvest that this coming weekend.

I can get started on some of the preliminary stuff. I purchased my seed from Nirvana Seeds and as usual I recieved my seeds in about 2 weeks. I am planning on starting the Germinating process tomorrow. I will use the old fashioned paper towel method. Then on friday I will plant in a 2 part Miracle Grow Potting mix and 1 part perlite mixture. I know a lot of people scoff at the Miracle grow but I have used it before and it worked just fine. The seedling will go into a 4" fiber pot with this mixuture in it for about 2-3 days until I get it in its new home in a hydroponic system for the remainder of its life.

Started germination today. Placed seed in wet paper towel, not soaking wet but not mildly damp either. Place this is a plastic bag and will not be touched for a minimum of 48 hours.

Right now is the last week of an OG Kush Auto. She had nute problems related to a broken pH meter and never got much in the way of size during the first half of her life. But lately she has been doing well. Not a lot of smoke but what there is looks to be good.

The grow chamber is a home built one with ~700 watts of LED into ~3'x3' grow area. Total interior height is 6' but after the first 15" is taken away for the bucket height the maximum height is ~57" but at that point the plant is into the light. Right now I have a tomato plant and a crop of basil sharing the chamber with OG Kush.

Checked on my seed of K2 in the paper towel. Sure enough she had sprouted. Place the seed in a 4" peat pot filled with a 2 part miracle grow 1 part perlite mixture for it to start in. In a couple days the grow chamber will be empty and I will place her in her new home for the completion of the grow. March 21st is day zero of the grow as I count it.

It is now time to put little K2 into her new home. Since the last look at her, she has lost the seed coat and is just starting to turn her tiny leaves to the light.

My hydroponic setup is one of mostly my own design and keeps evolving as grows go by. The picture below shows a top down photo of the system without any water or bucket lids in the way. One bucket has a small fountain pump (available from Harbor freight for $10 or less) that pumps up to a 6" watering circle. The 6" circle is perfect for a 10" 5 gallon net pot. The tubing and connections are 1/2" rain-bird irrigation systems or compatible with those (needed a few hose clamps to keep connections tight). The two buckets are plumbed together as close to the bottom as possible allowing the water to return after flowing over the drainage media. This keeps a good mix on the nutrients as well as keeping the plan supplied with a constant, consistent supply. In addition, both buckets have air in them. The bucket below the plant has a very good air stone and keeps everything well oxygenated.

I filled the net pot with clay pellets until the top of the seedling peat pot is about even with the top of the bucket.

I then covered the seedling pot with a cup and filled the net pot with drainage media until it was even with the edge of the bucket. and placed the watering ring in place.

Finally, I filled the bucket with nutrient solution at 1/2 strength. (I'll get into nutrients in a post in the very near future). Plugged in the pump, and put the lid on the bucket and we are done. The timer is set for 18/6 and we are off to the races.

The day after planting at Day 1 she was 1/2" tall. Just opening her little leaves to the light.

Day 2 she was 1.5" tall. Fully open and looking cute as a button. First set of true leaves are now evident.

Now today she is 2" (day 3). Little K2 just had a drink and you can still see some of the water droplet nestled in her leaves.

I had a minor problem yesterday. My circulation pump went bad and stopped. No worries, I can hand feed until a new one arrives. We are on Corona Virus Lock-down until at least April 6th here. Thank God for Amazon ... ill have a new one in hand tomorrow.:thumb::woohoo::snowboating:.

Little K2 at 4 days old. 2.5" tall.

Replaced the pump, everything is working well now. Have started tracking pH and EC for this grow (haven't tracked EC in previous grows) I'll include growth graphs and such when I have enough data to be interesting. Trying to keep the pH at 5.5 to 6. and the EC <=1.3 for the first week or so.

Since this was the first grow making EC measurements, I had no Idea where I was in my search space. My plan is to add clean fresh pH'd water to drop it down to 1.1 or so is my guess for the next week or so. By the way, where did you get 1.4 from? I currently have an EC of 1.26 but don't want it to get above 1.3. After a week or 2, I will be raising the EC. I'm not sure where but I'm using the feeding schedule I have used before and now documenting the EC. I have had good luck with this nute schedule in the past. In future grows), I will experiment more with the EC. I want a baseline of what I know before I try things that I don't. To quote a very wise man I once knew "Pick a point at random and proceed with utmost caution" While my point isn't exactly "random" it is as good a jumping off point as any.

K2 day 5, 3" tall. I know the everyday pictures get a little boring and I will stop soon, but just like little human babies they change so fast at this age. You just want to capture all the little things. Today I took the pictures under a flash but no grow lights so you can get a more realistic color to the little girl. Isnt she so cute!!:green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom