Rex's Perpetual Hydroponics, LED, 4x4 Tent Using TBC 10 Gal System: All Are Welcome, Come Learn & Help

Dayum, sorry to hear that Rex. :( Seems to be a thing this year with the rot. I don't remember seeing it around the site so much last year this time.
Thanks Shed.

I turned the temperature up to 27c (80F).
She'll have some heat stress I'm sure, but the higher temp with the dehumidifier running full tilt should hopefully prevent more of it in the tent.
Otherwise ill have another early harvest, one's ok- but two...I'd rather not.

Hey @InTheShed or anyone else for that matter...

Anyone ever do a quick high heat treatment in their tent for botrytis? I think I'm going to give my tent a 30 min heat treatment at 44C.

Yup, I hate mold, and at 41C it dies to my understanding.

And it's easy for me to just punch the number on the Ac/heater and it will rocket the temp up, then after 30 min I'll bring it back down.

Sorry, not me. I only get botrytis outside. I did find this but can't read the full article without requesting it from the authors:
1663622845711.png

Sorry, not me. I only get botrytis outside. I did find this but can't read the full article without requesting it from the authors:
1663622845711.png
That's the article I got my target temp from :rofl:. I decided to go slightly higher, and slightly longer to ensure the interior of the buds got up to the desired temp.

But thank you, I was just curious if you remembered off hand. And I truly appreciate the quick reply.

I'll do it this evening, I can't see it hurting to give it a go.

Oh, your tent with the plants in it? I thought you meant to clear the tent of spores after harvest.

Not sure how the plant will respond to a sudden increase to 106ºF though. In real life that happens over the course of a few hours.

:popcorn:
Well, I've already lost one cola and these colas are very dense and heavy...(king can beer sized ;) :cheesygrinsmiley:), and i know this stuff spreads fast. If it was present enough for me to spot it, the spores are everywhere.
I think in the end, it might prove to be beneficial.

One way to see what happens. I'll post plenty of pics.

Good luck Rex, I'm sure the plants will tolerate the heat better than the botrytis.

To bad about the bud rot Rex, I’ve never heard of using high temperatures to control bud rot but it does make some sense.

I’ve dealt with Powdery Milldew a few times and had bud rot once that I can remember. I’ve learned the best way to prevent it is not having large swings in temp and humidity from lights on to lights off, ever since I’ve put that into practice in my garden my mold problems ( knock on wood ) are a thing of the past.

It might be better to lower the temps. I think mold and mildew thrive in hot and humid conditions.
If your dehumidifier is outside of the tent like mine is, try pointing the adjusted air it puts out towards your intake.
It seems to help get my tent into the right range even when the lung room is still too high in humidity.
But all this damn rain man... I feel for you. I had a bit of mold in the tent just a few weeks ago.

Good luck Rex, I'm sure the plants will tolerate the heat better than the botrytis.
Thank you, and that they did, I wasn't too worried as it wasn't for long. 41C for 10 min, with low humidity apparently kills boytris (though admittedly i did read too deeply into the document)..
To bad about the bud rot Rex, I’ve never heard of using high temperatures to control bud rot but it does make some sense.

I’ve dealt with Powdery Milldew a few times and had bud rot once that I can remember. I’ve learned the best way to prevent it is not having large swings in temp and humidity from lights on to lights off, ever since I’ve put that into practice in my garden my mold problems ( knock on wood ) are a thing of the past.
Thanks N420!
I admit, it's a bit of a novel, and possibly useless thing to have tried, as it's not something I've read on people doing either. I figured worse was I wasted a few minutes and bit of electricity.

It might be better to lower the temps. I think mold and mildew thrive in hot and humid conditions.
Right and wrong.
Around 27C is the goal now.
I had also thought the cooler temps helped against it, and I'd love to discuss it further as I'm not saying I'm right.
But I went based upon this:
"The optimum temperature for fungal growth is around 24°C, but it can withstand temperatures as low as 0°C." Source
So on the temperature side, below 24C increases the risk, according to that.
While 25 or so is an ideal temp for growing, im going to go with slightly warmer and less humid. Right now its down to 39%. More on that below.
The key is the humid part. That's what it really thrives with.
If your dehumidifier is outside of the tent like mine is, try pointing the adjusted air it puts out towards your intake.
It seems to help get my tent into the right range even when the lung room is still too high in humidity.
But all this damn rain man... I feel for you. I had a bit of mold in the tent just a few weeks ago.
My dehumidifier and AC are both inside the tent. It's supposed to eliminate such risks but, my new dehumidifier isn't that great. I'll have to save up for another different one.

Screenshot_20220919-215457_Govee Home.jpg

You can see how the dehumidifier is cycling. It's on "continuous" mode :rolleyes:.
It's also rated for 800sq ft:hmmmm:. I think my next one will be a different brand. I needed a big one anyways for the grow room build (spring? Hopefully, we'll see what the lumber yard prices are).

And as promised, some photos!

The before:
20220919_182750.jpg

The after (i did a small defol before cranking the heat):
20220919_193358.jpg

She took it like a champ!

admit, it's a bit of a novel, and possibly useless thing to have tried, as it's not something I've read on people doing either. I figured worse was I wasted a few minutes and bit of electricity.
I’m quite interested to see how it turns out, we could all learn something from it!
You can see how the dehumidifier is cycling. It's on "continuous" mode :rolleyes:.
It's also rated for 800sq ft:hmmmm:. I think my next one will be a different brand.
Before you buy another dehumidifier it might be worth trying to connect it to a humidity controller.
I use one for my dehumidifier, it’s a lot more reliable then using the sensor built into the dehumidifier itself. I keep the dehumidifier on continuous mode and the humidity controller turns it on and off, the built in sensor in my dehumidifier was way off and the controller keeps the humidity where I want it.

Beautiful plants BTW!

Plants look like they barely cared, hope it got rid of the rot. Is that your dehumidifier cycling or your exhaust fan kicking on due to the heat? The problem with a dehumidifier in a tent is that if the exhaust is running it's hard for the dehumidifier to keep up. With a large dehumidifier in the room, it's easy to control the humidity in the tent with the exhaust fan. Hopefully you can get your new grow room up soon ;)

Before you buy another dehumidifier it might be worth trying to connect it to a humidity controller.
I use one for my dehumidifier, it’s a lot more reliable then using the sensor built into the dehumidifier itself. I keep the dehumidifier on continuous mode and the humidity controller turns it on and off, the built in sensor in my dehumidifier was way off and the controller keeps the humidity where I want it.
Thanks N420!
Without opening up the unit, to bypass the built in RH sensor, how would you do that? I have an Inkbird humidistat, but that will only provide power to the dehumidifier, and ultimately the internal sensor would get the "final" say?

Either way, the plant is looking great man. Cheers.
Thank you, she's a stunner, and I'm looking forward to her harvest. I'm clueless as to how much I'll get dried and cured from her, but if I don't loose more to mold, I should get 150+ grams.
:thanks:
Plants look like they barely cared, hope it got rid of the rot.
Thanl you. I really hope it killed off any loose spore floating in the tent. It certainly didn't harm anything, and it made me feel better :laugh:
Is that your dehumidifier cycling or your exhaust fan kicking on due to the heat? The problem with a dehumidifier in a tent is that if the exhaust is running it's hard for the dehumidifier to keep up. With a large dehumidifier in the room, it's easy to control the humidity in the tent with the exhaust fan. Hopefully you can get your new grow room up soon ;)
That's the dehumidifier cycling.
Why? I think cause it's possibly a cheap peice of crud.
It's inside the tent. Sitting beside a portable AC.

The tent only exhausts if it hits 35C as an emergency measure (I unplugged the fan for the heat treatment).

The dehumidifier is set to "continuous", so it should be constantly pulling moisture.
And if continuous is turned off, and the dehumidfier is turned to the lowest setting (35%), the Govee chart looks identical with the cycling.

I'll try for fun moving the dehumidifier into a different part of the tent, I doubt it will make a difference, but it will rule out it being too close to the AC. It is right up against it.

Aside from that, I can only think it's a design flaw in the dehumidifier...?

Without opening up the unit, to bypass the built in RH sensor, how would you do that? I have an Inkbird humidistat, but that will only provide power to the dehumidifier, and ultimately the internal sensor would get the "final" say?
I just set the dehumidifier to a higher Rh then I would want in the tent. Then have the Rh controller set to the rh I actually want, that way the Inkbird or in my case the Trolmaster sensor tells the dehumidifier to come on before the internal one in the dehumidifier itself is triggered to operate.

I should mention I have my dehumidifier in the tent and not outside in the lung room.

Edit: realized after I posted that you have your dehumidifier in the tent as well my bad

I just set the dehumidifier to a higher Rh then I would want in the tent. Then have the Rh controller set to the rh I actually want, that way the Inkbird or in my case the Trolmaster sensor tells the dehumidifier to come on before the internal one in the dehumidifier itself is triggered to operate.

I should mention I have my dehumidifier in the tent and not outside in the lung room.

Edit: realized after I posted that you have your dehumidifier in the tent as well my bad
Thanks N420! Though it looks like the problem has been solved.

Mrs Rex surprised me. I'm still taken aback sometimes by just how incredible she is.
I told her about the bud rot, and the new dehumidifier not being as good as the last one.
I said I was going to start putting aside some money to replace it with a bigger one in a few months (as even if i get this one working, if its struggling in a tent- it wont do for the grow room), and I'd sell my current one to recoup some of the cost...her reply? Take it from our savings (we don't have lots), and don't wait for more bud rot.

I didn't argue.

So now I'm eagerly waiting for the "shipped" notification.

I can also take a huge sigh of relief. My big soil plants won't be as likely to get bud rot now. I also wired up a new plug for them in the garage.
The bigger plant now has my biggest light, the 650R pulling 630 Watts. The smaller plant, has my P4000 over it pulling 400 Watts. And the tent was given the NextLight 420h to finish up the Ak-47 Auto.

Now on cold rainy days like today, they stay inside under their lights.
And a dehumidifier will be capable of:

Optimal Size Room: 1500-5000 Sq.Ft
Dehumidification 2012 DOE Standard: 70 Pints/Day (2019 DOE Standard: 50 Pints/Day)
Dehumidification(MAX): 120 Pints/Day
Bucket Capacity: 1.85 Gallon (7 Liter)
Product Size: 14.9 x 10.5 x 24.2 inch
Product Weight: 43.0 lbs
Wattage: 520W
- Functions -
Auto Pump: Yes
Auto Defrost: Yes
24hr Built-in Timer: Yes
Automatically Humidity Sensor: Yes
Air Speed: Low / High
Peak Air Flow Volume: 360m³/h

Oh and the dang thing even has WiFi connectivity.

So, much like Melville Hobbes, I'm loosing my lower fan leaves at a rather alarming rate. I think I need to increase her nutes again, though my MC bag has finally been emptied. Either that or she's rootbound :hmmmm: Considering her size, that is a possibility. She is four feet long, and three feet wide, and three feet high at the canopy height (scrogg net to average top). She's in a 50 gal. Fabric container, and has the entire top solidified with feeder roots from the feel of it.

So far with a few expectations, she has mostly been hose fed/watered. The few exceptions were StepWell compost tea (I am without a doubt ordering a massive bag of that stuff,) and Stepwell ammendments (veg and bloom).

20220923_135319.jpg

20220923_142204.jpg

20220923_142231.jpg

20220923_142350.jpg

The Ak-47 Auto is just doing her thing as I impatiently wait for her to finish

20220923_144051.jpg

20220923_144114.jpg
20220923_144139.jpg

20220923_143951.jpg

Great news on the news incoming new dehumidifier!
her reply? Take it from our savings (we don't have lots), and don't wait for more bud rot.
That’s so great to have the support of your wife on your passion for growing, she’s a keeper! She reminds me of Mrs. N she is always very supportive of my growing adventures!
Optimal Size Room: 1500-5000 Sq.Ft
Dehumidification 2012 DOE Standard: 70 Pints/Day (2019 DOE Standard: 50 Pints/Day)
Dehumidification(MAX): 120 Pints/Day
Bucket Capacity: 1.85 Gallon (7 Liter)
Product Size: 14.9 x 10.5 x 24.2 inch
Product Weight: 43.0 lbs
Wattage: 520W
- Functions -
Auto Pump: Yes
Auto Defrost: Yes
24hr Built-in Timer: Yes
Automatically Humidity Sensor: Yes
Air Speed: Low / High
Peak Air Flow Volume: 360m³/h
Some nice specs on the dehumidifier! Looks like it has a good size holding tank for the water, Ive been on the lookout for one with a bigger tank. I’m pretty sure mine is a 30 pint I end up emptying it twice a day at the peak of flower!

Bit of a head scratcher on the yellowing on the lowers, 50 gallon pot is pretty big and I wouldn’t think it would be root bound…but what do I know I don’t grow outdoors at all lol.

Back
Top Bottom