Current Culture: Undercurrent 4 New Grow Journal

I think I’ve got my next watering management system! Thanks Modest!
One thing I had that may not be necessary is these aquarium circulaters. They are like underwater fans to circulate water for fish. I had it set up so those would turn on in the resevoir tote for a few minutes just before the pump to mix my nutrients if they settled prior to pumping to the plants.

One thing I had that may not be necessary is these aquarium circulaters. They are like underwater fans to circulate water for fish. I had it set up so those would turn on in the resevoir tote for a few minutes just before the pump to mix my nutrients if they settled prior to pumping to the plants.
Thanks Modest! Yeah, I would imagine you would have to give the bites a rumble before sending - can’t imagine how bad the separation / settling would be! I would probably just be slinging water, since my mothers are on a diet 24/7. They are in bonsai mode, so trying to train her to eat light, branch many :Namaste:.

Week Seven (Finally On Time!)

Got the girls on a good regimen this week: TDS 1160 and pH 5.61. H2O temps at 68F at the chiller, 70F at the root zone. RH range has been 52% - 65% and air temp ranges have been 79F - 68F.

They are all starting to put on weight, which is funny because I JUST realized on this night’s change out that I had skipped GH’s carb additive/enhancer FloraNectar. Added it back to the regimen, along with DiamondNectar because I forgot that too. ‘Supposed’ to help with absorption of nutes but who knows.

Anyway, all the bud sites have gotten huge! My lack of foresight on a trellis attacked me tonight - my front girl punched me in the face with 5 colas when I opened her up tonight. Too much weight up top. Fine when the tent is closed - “when plants attack” when you open the door.

C1452549-26CD-4175-AD0A-6D9D93106B09.jpeg

9C1F399D-5569-41D4-98C2-823EE77E6C6E.jpeg

Week 8: Flower (Really Late) Plants seemed to have recovered From my earlier abuses, although one plant is fairly-well burnt up top. Started the last full-strength flower week at 1040 PPM and 5.59 pH (NAILED IT LOL!). Can’t open the tent anymore without everything falling over, so now managing through my windows. Did I mention I need to trellis next time?!?

7CE3956F-31D3-4D6D-83A5-4852C84AB0EF.jpeg

Bud structure looking solid, but you can still see the lasting effects of my abuse. I refuse to photograph her sister - absolutely sad….but still looks salvageable for use.

C797DE3A-4078-4E6D-8100-E335269A3CE1.jpeg

This is the second bud-site I’ve been managing through the tent window. She’s ‘timed’ to be ready in 2 weeks for chop, but I haven’t grown this pheno out before. I’m taking a lot of good advice one here and scrapping my week of flush so I can have two full weeks left of nutes. Using GH’s Ripen this grow…never used it before and I think it brought my starting pH way down. Never had to start with pH UP with GH before….interesting…. Usually after the sauce goes in I’m starting around pH 6.2 - 6.4….after dropping to ‘Late Bloom’ nute strength it was starting at 5.25. Glad I checked first!

Week 9: Flower (Kinda Late) Sensing a trend?!?

pH seems to be holding the drift up, then drift down pattern through this grow. Checked before water change and it had drifted to 5.4x. Checked mid-week and it was at 6.2. All temps holding, RH still in the 51-67% ranges. Haven’t opened the grow closet now for three weeks due to the bud avalanche that occurs when I open the tent. It’s hard to get everything zipped back in where I see all the bud sites still at the top of the canopy. I can control everything remotely through the epicenter, and when the lights are off I just have to ‘sneak my hand into the closet’ and cut off the return valve for the pump so I don’t have to re-prime everything when I start pumps back up after drain.

Anyway, no pics for now as they are currently napping and I knew if I didn’t get the water changed (2 days late already) today it was going to get skipped again. Can’t wait to see what this system puts out when I’m not torturing plants for 10 weeks! Would love to hear opinions on ‘two weeks left’ when I get pics posted - I’ve never been able to ask for an opinion before.

I’ll post the above bud-sites for pic comparisons, then I’ll post the carnage of the pheno on the front right that just took a shellacking from the abuse. The other 3 ’complained’ but never reacted badly. I burnt some tips, but that’s about it. I have to watch the other one scream through the window lol. I swear I think I can hear her at night…..

Looking good. I've always felt up until the end personally but I do also do a 2 or 3 day dark period. This line cracked me up as I can relate.

"I have to watch the other one scream through the window lol. I swear I think I can hear her at night….."

Looking good. I've always felt up until the end personally but I do also do a 2 or 3 day dark period. This line cracked me up as I can relate.

"I have to watch the other one scream through the window lol. I swear I think I can hear her at night….."
I think I am gonna try the 2-3 days in the dark. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I see so many peeps trying it I figure why not?!? I think it was IntheShed that convinced me to break bad and go with no flush…fingers crossed lol

You're looking great Sneaky!
Ya I don't flush mine or do anything different till harvest nute wise. I'm on the fence myself for the darkness period, but i agree...there certainly isn't any harm in doing it.

Finally had the lights turn on…I’ll be glad when Fall is here and I can reverse my light cycle!

C5D1E623-7B90-4021-AD85-B2E1553658E7.jpeg

Getting some decent growth now outta the top of the bud sites now as they are putting on the last couple of weeks of weight. Dropped TDS down about 25%ish for the last two weeks trying to stay in the 850 range. Still taking pics through the window…

8D1FEFB3-FB7C-4227-BFC5-1AF00A8BB1FA.jpeg

Secondary bud site looks like it’s still putting on weight….

C326A1C9-AB39-4B76-B9BC-7983C4AF0659.jpeg

Carnage on the other side of the cabinet. Normally I would trim all the burn away to figure out how bad this old girl has got it, but can’t open the closet without ‘budalanche’ so I’m just riding it out. Tops look way over cooked with the nute burn, but all of the bud sites still have some new pistil growth, so I didn’t actually kill her. Lower growth not quite so bad, so here’s to hoping. Looks WAY riper than her sister’s, so may be past the window by the time I get her pulled….

Sneeky - just found your journal and the "bud avalanche" sounds like a great problem to have.

A few items…

The Under Current looks like a great setup. I appreciate seeing it in action but getting my own setup will have to wait until I get out of SoCal (I've got a 2' x 4' tent shoehorned into a garage).

pH - CW says keep it between 5.5 and 6.5 for hydro and various charts show what macronutrients are taken up at different levels of pH. That's repeated across dozens of sites. And then I found an article on a site that caters to the commercial crowd that talks about commercial growers who get excellent yields without paying much attention to pH.
Oh, pH will tend to rise because nutes are acidic and, as they're taken up by the plant, the res will tend to become more alkaline/base. The good thing about that is that it allows a wider range of macronutrients to be taken up.

LED - move the light or turn the dimmer? Yes. :)
Either change will vary the amount of photons hitting the canopy but changing light height changes the dispersal pattern. Check out the PPFD map ("PAR map") for your light.
My setup is a 2 x 4. For the first few weeks, the action is pretty much right down the middle so light height isn't all that important. In your setup, the plants are "toward the corners" so lighting that grow evenly needs to have a light that's higher above the canopy. That's where the PPFD map and a light meter come in handy. And you had a nice, even canopy so that make things good to work with.

I saw the you're using Photone but it looked like you weren't using a settings file for LED. I think they charge about $5 to enable each one of the different profiles so it's a cheap way to get more accurate.

Nice grow and really nice looking buds. Keep up the good work!

Sneeky - just found your journal and the "bud avalanche" sounds like a great problem to have.

A few items…

The Under Current looks like a great setup. I appreciate seeing it in action but getting my own setup will have to wait until I get out of SoCal (I've got a 2' x 4' tent shoehorned into a garage).

pH - CW says keep it between 5.5 and 6.5 for hydro and various charts show what macronutrients are taken up at different levels of pH. That's repeated across dozens of sites. And then I found an article on a site that caters to the commercial crowd that talks about commercial growers who get excellent yields without paying much attention to pH.
Oh, pH will tend to rise because nutes are acidic and, as they're taken up by the plant, the res will tend to become more alkaline/base. The good thing about that is that it allows a wider range of macronutrients to be taken up.

LED - move the light or turn the dimmer? Yes. :)
Either change will vary the amount of photons hitting the canopy but changing light height changes the dispersal pattern. Check out the PPFD map ("PAR map") for your light.
My setup is a 2 x 4. For the first few weeks, the action is pretty much right down the middle so light height isn't all that important. In your setup, the plants are "toward the corners" so lighting that grow evenly needs to have a light that's higher above the canopy. That's where the PPFD map and a light meter come in handy. And you had a nice, even canopy so that make things good to work with.

I saw the you're using Photone but it looked like you weren't using a settings file for LED. I think they charge about $5 to enable each one of the different profiles so it's a cheap way to get more accurate.

Nice grow and really nice looking buds. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Delps! Yeah, pH seems to have helped them this run, but I literally ignored pH in DWC for close to 10 years. Probably ultimately hurt yield some (or a lot lol) but I didn’t care so much since I had plenty.

I have definitely got to get the PAR map figured out. By the time I figured out how to use it well this grow was WAY out of hand. I did accidentally buy ALL the light settings, so I am using the LED setting (and wondering what I’m going to do with the others). Good call with the plants being in the corners. Once the plants are harvested this run I’m going to mark up the tent for heights / settings so I have a visual aid on the wall next time.

Ive also gotta get that carbon scrubber outta there and mounted outside in case I ever have another of these runs. Nothing worse that running out of headspace…and nothing better, I guess lol

THE PLAN
So here goes: 15 year grower, using DWC most of those years with half-assed, over-engineered, highly-functional systems pulled together from whatever I could find and on a budget. Now I’m tired, and I’m ready to do this right. So I have set up an Undercurrent 4 system with a remote epicenter plumbed outside of the 4x4 flowering area, a 680 watt dimmable LED, and carbon scrubbing. Temps in the tent are currently 72. Heat not an issue so not planning on chilling water unless I absolutely need to. Wedding Cake is the strain of choice, although Super Lemon Haze and Jack Herer are regulars. The grow room has a 1 foot side area for mothering and vegging, so I can roll this perpetual if I would like but I really don’t like to feel like this is a job. I like to go in a hang out with my ladies :bong: . I generally veg for 3 weeks in 24 hours of light, then switch to 12 until flush. I use General Hydroponics nutes, not because they are the best but I have used them for 15 years with very good and predictable results. Currently waiting on beans.
I have Gorilla Glue Lemon on deck...you seem to grow Super Lemon Haze often enough, if you can think of anything I should know starting a half Super Lemon strain lmk!! Love your set up btw and the changes along the way to get there, however idk if I could ever do a hydro system, I like getting dirty too much I think...happy growing!

I have Gorilla Glue Lemon on deck...you seem to grow Super Lemon Haze often enough, if you can think of anything I should know starting a half Super Lemon strain lmk!! Love your set up btw and the changes along the way to get there, however idk if I could ever do a hydro system, I like getting dirty too much I think...happy growing!
One of myball time favorites is Franco lemon cheese which is super lemon haze x cheese. SLH strains I found are great for scrog and LST. I have not grown GG. Curious to see what sneaky thinks

Oh see, now that sounds delectable...I may have to add that onto my list of seeds to check out! LST is currently my main research topic right now so that I can utilize my tents' space in the best way I can and provide the most ample light for my girls. I've gotten a lot of great LST and SCROG feedback here and I've heeded much of the advice. It's been working wonders on my Amnesia. Curious to what @sneekymofo has to say, too!

Oh see, now that sounds delectable...I may have to add that onto my list of seeds to check out! LST is currently my main research topic right now so that I can utilize my tents' space in the best way I can and provide the most ample light for my girls. I've gotten a lot of great LST and SCROG feedback here and I've heeded much of the advice. It's been working wonders on my Amnesia. Curious to what @sneekymofo has to say, too!
SLH seems to love to branch out - I don’t think I have found her max yet, she LOVES to be topped. I’ll bet it’s a prime candidate - BUT I don’t SCROG. Tried it once and got lazy halfway through then got frustrated trying to untangle everything at harvest. One drawback is she also loves to stretch, so you have to plan the net accordingly.

She loves to eat - I have to abuse her pretty bad before she complains, and loves to be topped. This is the hottest strain I run the nutes at - almost 200 PPM higher than I throw at anything else. Although this grow the abuse DID kinda show up, but did I mention I’m kinda lazy from time to time?!? I’m OCD - I think that’s the only reason I’m in water. I look at my poor mothers in dirt and think: I really don’t know what to do for you poor babies…please don’t die on me….

Back
Top Bottom