Daffodils and Burmese Skunk

Interesting turn of events. I was about to start purchasing materials to construct my grow space after days of planning and designing my multiple stage system. My better half expressed concerns over the location, design, and contractors abilities lol. She suggested I purchase a complete cabinet system that includes everything from lights to filters to locks. It would make her feel better. So that is what I am going to do. It wont be as large but it will be professional and discrete.

Trying to tweak the kits to support my desire for LED/COB and Living Organic Soil. Waiting to hear back from the two companies that have what I am looking for. I may end up sacrificing a few of my "wants" but what I will save in time/effort will make up for that. We are officially into the next stage of this redemption story.

1- I have a local company that has a great product, except its mostly hydro, and uses HID lighting for flower and cfl for veg/clone. Full on clone/veg space with separate flower space. Comes in secured cabinet with fans, filters, lights, and the other goodies like hygrometer. Also has a regulator and connections for CO2. They can do soil but I have inquired about LED. Still waiting on a quote for the soil version and if they have been working on LED/COB lighting.

2- I have another company, US, that has a quality product. Same deal, clone and veg space and seperate flower space. It uses a quality LED but comes with soil pots I dont want to use as I plan on using smart fabric pots. The only real downside of this product is that I could get a similar LED light from one of 420's sponsors for less AND the package is in USD which is another 20% for me (not to mention shipping/customs). So waiting to hear back if I could get their unit minus the soil pots and LED.

Overall I prefer to buy Canadian as it supports our economy and buying American is more expensive at every turn. But I gotta do right by my needs and what how I want to grow.

Lmfao. Ugh after digging around and looking for complaints, it seems both units have some flaws. Not interested in overpaying for a locker with heat issues lol. May try and talk the wife into letting me build a cabinet at least. Will still see what both companies have to say. But damn...I could have a woodworker build me a custom cabinet that locks, and fill it with custom fans, filters, etc for much less.

Thx Coop and Braica.

Well I am out of town working and happen to spot a shop. I pop in to take a look and ask if they have seeds. "Yeah we have a few but we are getting out of that so they are %50 off". She pulls a box out of the back and lets me root through them. Had a bunch of CKS seeds but I am not really interested in them. Then I spot a bunch of Jordan Of The Island seeds. $6 a seed...but with the discount...$3 a seed...

...long story shorter...I picked up:

5x Gods Blue Warp reg
5x BC Big Bud reg
5x Gods AK47 reg
5x Blue Bud reg (bc big bud x blueberry)

all for $60 Canadian. Not a bad find if I do say so myself

Welcome, and very good deal.:welcome:

Glad I waited for my anger to ease before posting this update lol.

So I am not impressed with the all-in-one cabinets/tents. Not impressed with the cost and the contents. Basically they are made for those with no clue. So I have a family member making me a custom cabinet out of aluminum, two compartments, flush locks, and holes for my 6" fan and 4" passive air intakes. It will be 6' tall (2' for clones/veg), 2' deep, and 3' wide. Plan on lining the interior with insulated foam board or reflective insulation. Should be what I am looking for...all the metal and components will be $400. Plus his labor.

Tried buying a Perfect Sun Dwarf Star. Bad timing. They are out. Refunded my money but I was shorted $30 by my bank on the exchange rate. I was raging. After spending an hour on the phone I managed to get all my cash back.

In my rage I went to a Canadian site, pissed at the USD/CDN exchange rate and overall hassle, and purchased a 400w COB, 96w T5 (2ft x 4 bulb), and a 6" carbon filter and inline fan combo (upgraded pro filter), grabbed a few weather stations (temp/hum/etc), 6" flange for the cabinet, 6" backdraft damper, a loupe, and some ducting with tape. $1035 total including shipping. Thats CDN, so $817 USD. Not bad for pretty much everything I need in the cabinet except pots. Now all I need is the cabinet.

Once I have my cabinet built and lined I will pop some seeds!

Glad I waited for my anger to ease before posting this update lol.

So I am not impressed with the all-in-one cabinets/tents. Not impressed with the cost and the contents. Basically they are made for those with no clue. So I have a family member making me a custom cabinet out of aluminum, two compartments, flush locks, and holes for my 6" fan and 4" passive air intakes. It will be 6' tall (2' for clones/veg), 2' deep, and 3' wide. Plan on lining the interior with insulated foam board or reflective insulation. Should be what I am looking for...all the metal and components will be $400. Plus his labor.

Tried buying a Perfect Sun Dwarf Star. Bad timing. They are out. Refunded my money but I was shorted $30 by my bank on the exchange rate. I was raging. After spending an hour on the phone I managed to get all my cash back.

In my rage I went to a Canadian site, pissed at the USD/CDN exchange rate and overall hassle, and purchased a 400w COB, 96w T5 (2ft x 4 bulb), and a 6" carbon filter and inline fan combo (upgraded pro filter), grabbed a few weather stations (temp/hum/etc), 6" flange for the cabinet, 6" backdraft damper, a loupe, and some ducting with tape. $1035 total including shipping. Thats CDN, so $817 USD. Not bad for pretty much everything I need in the cabinet except pots. Now all I need is the cabinet.

Once I have my cabinet built and lined I will pop some seeds!

I loved it when the dollar was a at par, I live 1/2 hour drive from the us boarder. I would order all kinds of stuff and pick it up there. Half the price of Canadian retailers. Now, you have to shop around and compare with our week dollar, it's a little better but still not good.

Reading back have to you tried there god bud/green crack? It one of my favourite strains to smoke. I have nothing but good things to say about Jordan of the islands. Great outfit .

No I havent, but I believe I noticed the JOTI brand with your recommendation in someones journal on getting the GGC (which they went and bought), so when I saw those seeds for cheap I snatched them up. Since they are mostly bred for outdoor growing I was going to wait until the spring to try them in a guerilla outdoor grow. Who knows, I am curious about the Gods Blue Warp and may try that this winter.

I am out of town working again but my lights and other goodies have been delivered. So when I get home it will be xmas morning lol. Getting closer to popping some seeds and I have my first batch picked out. I may change my mind and focus on one variety instead of the 4 I had planned on doing. We will see.

Picked up my order from the warehouse today. Few initial impressions:

I am digging the build quality of the 400w COB. Its sturdy. The T5's are smaller than I imagined but looks like a good ballast. Pictures when the grow journal is posted. Im on days of rest...and that is work lol.

The 6" inline fan with upgraded carbon filter....is freaking huge. Way overkill for my needs lol. Oh well. It will meet the wifes criteria of "NO smell".

Set up a hygrometer/weather station in the basement to gauge my atmoshpheric control needs. So far its sitting at 60% RH and 68 deg. F. I will keep an eye on it the next week or so and see if it fluctuates much as we transition from a dry summer to damp fall weather. Temps will increase with the lights.

I checked in on my soil and its doing great. Been feeding it with rain water while it sat outside in bins all summer. Ready to rock n roll, I will add a bit of fresh perlite, EWC, and charcoal to round out the soil and add some condo living for the soil food web. Then toss it into a big garbage bin and store it in the basement this winter.

Looking good, tempted to pop a seed while we wait to solidify the tent/cabinet but I have one more work commitment to take care of before that. Getting close. Might buy a 3' x 3' x 6'6" tent as a backup in case the girls get a little too big for their britches...and house that massive fan and filter outside of it.

So I still need to pick up; light hangers, analog timers, EC pen, clone/seed tray, smart pots (few sizes), air pump/stone, mixing pails, and other minor things. I could start now but want a nice, relaxed, clean grow. Getting excited...and still cant believe the size of that filter lol.

Sounds like you're gonna have the perfect setup! Monitoring the climate before you even start...Genius!

Well it was a combination of not able to grow, not able to properly fund it, and having no idea what I am doing. I work my backside off during the summer months so I couldnt, I had other responsibilities financially so I waited, and i needed to research my goals/needs. So I planned as much as I could (read obsessed daily) to hit the ground running.

Today I went to my local hydro shop and picked up a few more odds and ends.
-6 x 1 gallon smartpots, 6 x 5 gallon smartpots, 12 trays/saucers
-1 aipump, 1 air stone, 4ft of tubing
-1 x 20l bag of EWC (for top dressing during transplanting)
-1 small bag of Biochar to add to my soil
-2 x analog timers
-2 x Ratchet hangers (4 total)
-1 x 6" clip fan

They tossed me a bottle of "Dr. Willards Super Catalyst Altered Water" that is supposed to result in increased nutrient uptake (not sure if I want to use it) and a small packet of Monster Bloom (again not so sure).

Picked up a rolling garbage bin and put 130 litres of my soil away in the basement, after mixing in the biochar, and still have another 120 litres if soil in another bin. Close to 50 gallons of soil for a few plants lol.

Now all I need is a space...and in reality I dont even need that for weeks so...I will be starting a proper journal any day now.

Back
Top Bottom