Deep Water Culture w/Clones - CFL's & LED's - Coco Croutons & Hydroton Media

chrgrsfan

Let me start out by saying I grew plants outdoors years ago in burbs of Sacramento, Ca with very good success, have grown indoors a couple times with limited success(mostly due to being not really serious about it). I live in Michigan now. This is me learning how to become proficient in indoor Hydro cultivation. I have read a veratious amount of grow journals, tutorials, blogs & horticultural articles on this subject. I have come to 1 conclusion, ther must be a million ways to do it & everybody has a opion about it. I have tried to take the best practices I have found & mish/mash them into my own way of doing things! So if you want come along & we will learn together!

My Set Up

Grow Tent-Grow Lab #GL145L 4'9"Wx9'6"Lx6'7"H = 45 1/8 Sq Ft Floor Area
294 Cubic Ft Total Room
18 Sq Ft Grow Area Used

System-Stealth Hydro Dual Spectrum II Bubbleponic Grow Kit X 2

Grow Media- 50% Sunleaves Coco Coir(Croutons) & 50% Hydroton

Vent/Duct Fan- Votex Powerfan 6" 455cfm w/Speedster Blower Controller

Carbon Duct Filter- Air Box 2, Stealth Edition

Temp & H20 Meters- Sunleaves Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer
Hanna Instruments #HI 981504 pH, TDS & Temp Monitor

Nutes & Ferts- Stealth Hydro Pre Packaged Grow, Bloom & Micro Nutrients

CFL Lighting- 2x85w 4200 Lumens 6500k Daylight
2x85w 4200 Lumens 3000k Warm White
6x68w 4200 Lumens 2700k Soft White
8x27w 1750 Lumens 5000k Daylight
-----------------------------------
828watts 56,000 Lumens

LED Lighting- 2x24w LED Grow Lights.Com Track Light Kit = 2x125w HID Lights
-4x R220SB Red Grow Bulbs(Approx 2100k)-(takes place of HPS)
-2x B60XB Blue Grow Bulbs(Approx 4000k)-(takes place of MH)
-------------------------------------------------------------
48w x 100 Lumens/per LED watt= 4800 Lumens (but much more
efficient lighting per/lumen by comparision)

CFL Lighting Fixtures- 10.5" clamp style parabalic reflectors

Primary Lighting- 4x85w, & 4x68w CFL's in reflectors + 2x24w LED Tracks

Side/Secondary Lighting- 2x68w & 8x27w CFL's
----------------------------------------------------
Total Lumens Available = 60,800 Lumens
207 Lumens per/cubic ft total tent area
1347 Lumens per/Sq ft total tent area
3378 Lumens per/Sq ft used tent area

:welcome:

Re: Deep Water Culture w/Clones, CFL's & LED's, Coco Croutons & hydroton media

My Set Up-Cont'

Air Circulation-1 12" Oscillating Fan & 1 8" Adjustable Fan(subject to change)

Humidifier- Vicks by KAZ

Clones-
By cabledawgs2452172-
Careys Compassionate Care -Jeff
So. Eastern Genesse Co., Michigan
4x Hawiian Kona Gold 60-70 days flowering
4x HOG (Kush x Afghani) 56-65 days flowering
4x Purple Kush(Purps x Afghani Kush)60-70 days Flowering

Clones have been on full nutes(900ppm) & light for a week. I am also putting into full light & nutes @ 1000-1100ppm. My base water is 480ppm & has a ph of 6.9-7.4 depending on temp & how long you run the tap. Vegetative light cycle 18/6. Bloom light cycle will be 12/12 but last 14 days will raise to 13/11 (maybe even 14/10) to help push resin from stems to buds. We will also flush water plants with pure ph'd H2O last 14-21 days for taste & to also help push resin from stems into buds.

This is a Medical Grow- I suffer from Bursitis in my hip & my wife had 2 Disc removed from her lower back w/rods, screws, & bone graph.

I will have pics for you on next post, Thanks for tuning in ~H~ :grinjoint:

:thumb::rollit:

Well fans it has been a hell of a week but first lets det to those set up pics.
IM000477.jpg

Ph'ed all the equipment for 24 hours, & yes I know plastic does not react
IM000483.jpg
IM000484.jpg
IM000485.jpg
IM000487.jpg

Man what a bitch to get this Hydroton clean, if it want paid for I throw it out!
IM000488.jpg
IM000490.jpg
IM000491.jpg

The Coco croutons were not as nearly as hard to get washed!
IM000494.jpg

Mixed the 2 & ph'ed the whole mess over night.

:lot-o-toke:
Here is the set after the clones were put in & boy I had no idea what I was in for!!!
IM000497.jpg

What Ph I started with when soaking the growing medium
IM000499.jpg

The water mark is 6 gallon ph'ed to 5.7 & 1100ppm
IM000482.jpg

Starting water before ph'ed
IM000505.jpg

Putting together the intenal water pump system
IM000506.jpg

Adding pump to bag & tying up to help keep root out!
IM000510.jpg

Have bought these really stong clamp to add strength to reflector clamps & hold cords, ect, got them at the Homeys for $1 a piece
IM000507.jpg

Dry set of system & notice the duct foil tape on lids, got it @ the Homeys too!
IM000513.jpg

System planted
IM000514.jpg

2 HOGS to the left & 4 Purple Kush to the right
IM000515.jpg

4 Hawaiians to the left & 2 HOGS to the right

very nice start I appreciate all the pic's. Hope the grow goes well for you.

:oops:
This was Saturday 11-06-10 Day 1

Sunday Day 2 and things are statrting to look not so good, Res is @ 77 degrees F, Ph is up & PPM are up 1400. Have adjusted PPM by draining half of res & re PH'ing 6.0
:lot-o-toke:

IM000521.JPG

This is Sunday day #2 & things look a little shaky
IM000520.JPG

Day #2 . Could be stress shock or I might have to take action!!!:lot-o-toke:
IM000516.JPG

This is Monday day #3 After getting home from work. We have problems!
IM000517.JPG

Day #3. After work we have switched plants & pumps into holding res. Have cleaned & bleached res. Have Ph'ed clean H2O, added Epsom salt to help out with the signs of nute lock out due to my high PPM tap water, which I have read can cause Mag. & Nitrogen lock out due to high Calcium, Have added Hygrozyme. WTF!!!!
IM000518.JPG

This day #4 & things are a little different, kinda better but WTF!!!
IM000520.JPG

Day#4
IM000521.JPG

Have done same res cleaning as day #3 but have added H2O2 2oz
IM000531.JPG

Look close(I know hard to see) has foam & a light smell!!
IM000532.JPG

Another pic of foam!
IM000533.JPG

Another pic of foam!! WTF!!!
IM000522.JPG

Day #5 have added 2oz H2O2 in AM & Have performed same res cleaning as day #3 with additives in same amounts.
IM000523.JPG

Day #5
IM000524.JPG

Day #5 can see nute issues in leaf color.
IM000525.JPG

Another Day #5
IM000526.JPG

Day #6 & have done same as day #3 regiment but was able to get to store & by some distilled water to make up foliar feeding solution. Have Foliar feed.
IM000527.JPG

Day #6. Have smell know it is root rot & suspect the big Hawiian plant due to no roots showing & it is biggest. I don't like the room temp & believe not getting enough solible O2 in H2O. So also purchased a 188cfm duct booster fan & hooked it up to a exterior vent. Bought another 12" air stone for each res with a pump that does both. Tommorrow in D Day!!!

Day #7 D Day !!!!
Today have pulled all net pots and soaked then in a solution of 2oz H2O2 & 1 gallon of H2O. Res are discolored & smell likely like rotting plant material. Pump bags & pump tubes are full of shit. Have tore pumps & manifold systems completely down & scrubbed the shit out of them + res in hot strong bleach water. I then re assembled & ran pumps in hot bleach water for 1/2 hour. I then clean & flushed with cold H2O & ran pumps in that for 15 min. Set up res waters with 2oz Hygrozyme, 2oz H2O2, 2 Tbsp Epsom Salt then PH'ed H2O to 5.7 & 1050PPM. I pulled the big Hawaiian & found it had brown little rotted roots that smelled like shit. I had soaked all plants/pots for 1 hour in H2O2 solution & swished then around every 5-10min; man you should have seen the shit that came out of them & the shit that came out of the pump set up. I also added 1 12" air stone w/pump to each res & ducted in that Booster fan to outside air. I plant the Big Hawaiian in a pot of Coco Croutons. The plants look a hell of a lot better. I will be getting a RO filter this week to take care of the calcium caused nute lock out. Well it is obvious since the Hawaiian had a slight discolor on it when planted; thought is was due to brown sponge plugs they were in. All clones were in same solution when delivered & thats were the cross contamination happen! ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU GET CLONE FROM ANYONE OTHER THEN YOU, SOAK THEM IN HYDROGEN PEROXIDE SOLUTION FIRST BEFORE PUTTING IN SYSTEM!!!:headbanger:
IM000535.JPG

Evening of Day #7 & have foliar feed. Plants are in different order but looks same due to variety staying same in each hole:yummy:\
IM000536.JPG

Now you can see Big Hawaiian gone & have moved things around a little & we are starting to see growth in just a few hours!!!:welldone:

Ok this is day #8 or 1st day of second week. Check of res this morning finds all looks good. Have added 2oz H2O2 & PH'ed res to 5.9. I also have done foliar feed (by the way I made my foliar spray very weak, 1/3rd strength, even though this stealth hydro foliar & is week to start with due to being made for hydro) I made the foliar solution weak so I could foliar feed more often until I get the RO filter & get nute take up issues resolved. Here are the pics from this evening day #8:bongrip:
IM000537.JPG

Big Hawaiian in pot of Coco croutons
IM000538.JPG

We can see nice growth spurt out of Hwaiians & Hogs look much better!!
IM000540.JPG

These are looking much better also!!
IM000541.JPG

Can see that some of the leaf color issues are starting to disapate:rollit:
IM000539.JPG

This is the roots on the Biggest looking Hwaiian, mind you none of this was like this yeaterday!!
IM000544.JPG

Roots on the Purple Kush & things are starting to look nice in hear! You can see clear blue tubing for new air stone:yahoo:
IM000543.JPG

More picks of Purple Kush roots!!! You can see the air bubbles now!!
IM000542.JPG

More air bubble in the Purp. By the way to help with red temps I also purchased a stanley dual timer(2 plugs) & set the water pumps to cycle on for 15min & off 15min all the time. Will cut back to only on for 1/2 hour 5 times a day when roots hit water. Well it is off to work because I owe, I owe!! and all that shit! Have a good week & we shall see how things go!!!:peacetwo:

Re: Deep Water Culture w/Clones, CFL's & LED's, Coco Croutons & Hydroton Media

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Smoke Report?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

:hookah::tokin::smokin:
Sorry for not writing sooner; grow is still alive & I have been making a good journal. I was in the fight of my life with root rot & water mold. I believe I am coming out the other side & have new pic & a lot of info for noob, like myself! I am on day 42 & going to now veg for 1 to 2 more weeks since this week was when I got all the problems under control. We will be flowering for 9 to 10weeks due to all the stunting, rosetting that has gone on. I will post more tonight & tomorrow. :goodluck:

I left you just as things started to completely go sideways for me on my grow. 1st & foremost let me state that all you have read about the best treatment for root zone problems is not to get them in the first place, is from gods mouth to our ears!!!!!!!!!:headbanger: But if you are a dumbass like me & do not RO your water + have a little disease on your clone when you get them and do not know what to do or that you even got a little disease, I have a tale of redemption my friends!!!! LET ME STATE "YOU CAN SAVE THE GROW"!!! CAN I HAVE A HALLELUJAH, "HALLEUJAH AMEN":cheer::hug:

:lot-o-toke::slide::popcorn:
I want to tell you a couple of things that do not work, before I tell you what does work. #1. Bleach in your res. will not kill a really bad case of root problems; it will beat it back some but cannot use strong enough solution or would kill girls!! It is a good steralizer for your equipment but thats it!! #2. SM-90 is a good wetting agent but does jack dittly shit for killing or curing root zone issues. Smells damn good though & I like it as a wetting agent. #3. Hydrogen Peroxide &/or H2O2 will do nothing but foam & make you think it is doing something but it will not cure root zone issues + allows water mold to take over!!! Yuk!! However, it is good to use in amount directed 24hrs before you use RO water for res change due to super oxigenation action to water + very good equipment sanitizer! #4. Hygrozyme for a Hydro gardener is a pure fucking waste of good money & time!!! As well as Liquid Karma. If you are strickly organic & have absolutely no issues with water from a pure mountain stream maybe they do something for you but I live in the real fucking world!!!:hookah:

:cheer:And now for some pics! Drum roll, please!!!!
Picture_00181.jpg

What they looked like the next week after last post
Picture_00278.jpg

:smokin:
Picture_00380.jpg

:popcorn:
Picture_00476.jpg

:cool:
Picture_00565.jpg

Look how much dwarfing & rosetting is going on!
Picture_00652.jpg

:popcorn:
Picture_00743.jpg

Man I do not like the looks of things!
Picture_00848.jpg

These were some of the last taken while I was fighting the battle, I was just ashmed & disappointed to take any pics of the girls during that time.
Needless to say the res would start to smell, I was changing it every 2 to 3 days. Tried all the things I stated in last post!! Will mediocure results @ best! What fixed it, well you just going to have to wait a few pics more!!:blunt:
Picture_00946.jpg

Oops sliped new pic in early!
Picture_01038.jpg

I did not take any pics of the white/clear snot that took hold after I listen to Hydro shop guy & used H2O2 + Hygrozyme to try to cure!! But this is the first pic after the cure started to kill & dissapate the problems!
Picture_01139.jpg

Same day as last pic but second res
Picture_01240.jpg

3 Days after the cure, look @ the roots!!
Picture_01336.jpg

Change res & steralized equipment then new water with cure; these are pics of roots 2 days after that!!
Picture_01436.jpg

Same res as last pic
Picture_01532.jpg

Same res as last pic
Picture_01621.jpg

Same Res pic
Picture_01721.jpg

Second res pic
Picture_01824.jpg

Second res pic
Picture_01925.jpg

Second res pic
Picture_02019.jpg

Second res pic
Picture_02118.jpg

Pic from today 12/18/10 day#42. First or Right Res
Picture_02211.jpg

Pic from today 12/18/10 day#42. Second or Left Res:bravo::rollit::bongrip::welldone:

In those new root pics you can see new pretty white roots growing right out of the brown nasty shit. I believe this product ture the crap into a sugar or diagestable product, what ever the case man does this shit work!!

The product is Dutch Master Zone Gold
:woohoo::amen::rocker::theband:

I have also read some good things about PHYSAN 20; and since I now have found that Stealth Hydro sells Physan 20 on their website, they must know how prone to water mold & root rot their type of DWC system is! But you cannot argue with the results of the DUTCH MASTER GOLD RANGE ZONE PRODUCT!!! These pics are from this morning & are exactly 1 week of DM GOLD RANGE ZONE. At this rate tanks will be completely clear in 1 more week & net pots that only have a few root have never had a root the whole grow, until in added the DUTCH MASTER GOLD RANGE ZONE to the reservoir! See for yourself!
Picture_02316.jpg
Picture_02416.jpg
Picture_02520.jpg
Picture_02617.jpg

Happy Grows ~H~:hookah:

Well boys & girls we are now into day #48 & have been adding Dutch Master Gold Range Zone every 3 days @ the aggressive rate on bottle & great things have been happening. Reservoir on left or #2 res is drinking a gallon of RO & PH'ed water every other day now & right or #1 res is starting to catch up. I performed a reservoir change today and snapped these pics while I was changing them; Notice I did not say tear down & sanitize! Man am I glad to be out of that shit, Root Rot & Water Mold are nothing to fuck with or your ever want!!

Nute Solution Today:
6 Gallons RO H2O W/ 1oz H2O2 & sat overnight to stabilize H2O2
15 ml. Dutch Master Gold Range Zone
15 ml. Botanicare SM-90
1 oz. Botanicare Silca Blast
2 oz. Botanicare Calmag
1 oz. Botanicare Liquid Karma
1 oz. Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A
1 oz. Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow B
.5 oz. General Hydroponics Liquid PH Down

= 1350ppm Hanna Meter @ EC Conversion rate of .7 w/finished acidity of 5.4ph
:bravo::rollit:

Picture_02719.jpg

Res #1 Plants are really starting to come out of it Big plant is Hog others are Purple Kush
Picture_02814.jpg

Res #2 OMG right! Have topped all but center Hawaiian, 2 on right are Hogs & rest are Hawaiian
Picture_02913.jpg

Short of root zone in res #1, lots of roots now!
Picture_03017.jpg

Another root shot of res #1
Picture_03118.jpg

Res #2 and the is nothing to say but night & day!!
Picture_03213.jpg

Another shot of res #2 roots!!
:cheer::grinjoint:

Well we shall see how things go this week & nute change next week will be to put into flowering & going to 12/12 light cycle so I can get this show on the road & get done with this grow! Really looking forward to a much better grow next time around! Boy there is nothing like OJT! \

Happy Grows ~H~
:morenutes::yummy::tokin::thanks:

:surf::morenutes::peacetwo:

Hello there my friends & how are we all this week. Well this is day #56 & plants have become tall enough + well enough to go into Transition to flowering. I cannot believe how well these are doing @ this point compared to how bad things were!! We are probably going to Flower for 11 weeks due to all the issues we had during the noobie mistake/learning curve period!:thumb:

Have had to seperate the reservoirs apart by @ least a foot. Having to adjust lights daily around & up/down as plants grow. :hookah:

Have RO'ed all H2O & used H2O2 at rate of 5ml/gallon RO'ed H2O
Allowed RO'ed H2O to Sit 18hrs with H2O2 to allow it to stabilize

Ran Clearex @ Rate of 3oz/6 gal RO'ed H2O2 Stabilized H2O for 1hr ea res

Flowering Nute Solution Week #1 12/12

1oz Botanicare Silca Blast (until used up then DM Gold Range Silca)
2oz Botanicare Sweet Berry
15ml Nutrilife SM-90
15ml Dutch Master Gold Range Zone
2oz Dutch Master Gold Range add.27 Flower
2oz Dutch Master Gold Range Nutrient Flower A
2oz Dutch Master Gold Range Nutrient Flower B

Total PPM @ .71 conversion rate meter 1350-1370ppm
.25tsp General Hydroponics Liquid PH Down for finished ph of 5.5-5.6
:morenutes::yummy::goodjob::headbanger:

:rollit::yahoo::morenutes:

Without further ado
Picture_03321.jpg
Picture_03412.jpg
Picture_03511.jpg
Picture_03617.jpg

As you can see the plants are really doing well & so well I have drank the Dutch Master Kool Aid, I will use the nutes up that I purchased to get my money out of them but as they are used up will replace with Dutch Master Gold Range Products! Although I will continue to use Sweet, H2O2 & SM-90 as well & might use Gravity 3 week before done.
I will take picks this week mid point & end of week! :slide:
:morenutes::headbanger::rocker::adore:

:yummy::morenutes:
Hello all, it's mid week of 1 week of flower & I promised to take pics + update so here it is.
Picture_03711.jpg

Fan Leaf on this HOG as big as my big meat hook!!
Picture_03814.jpg

In between both HOG's in Res #2
Picture_03910.jpg

Res #2 front middle Hawaiian
Picture_04012.jpg

Res #2 front left Hawaiian
Picture_0418.jpg

Always show front of res but I thought I would show back side
Picture_0429.jpg

another back side pic
Picture_0437.jpg

Whole thing!
Picture_0446.jpg

Whole thing, again!

Res #2 is drinking .5-.75 gal/day H2O ph was 6.0 only up .2 from yesterday & 1170ppm, have eaten 100ppm from yesterday after added 2oz Sweet Berry w/H2O top off

Res #1 is drinking .25-.5 gal/day H2O ph was 5.8 only up .2 from yesterday & 1370ppm, have eaten 100ppm from yesterday after added 2oz Sweet Berry w/H2O top off

Foliar Feeding 3 Times a week with Dutch Master Gold Range Liquid Light & Saturator, Misting with RO'ed & Ph'ed @ 5.5 H2O everyday.

Will Post more pics this weekend, Happy Grows ~H~
:morenutes::headbanger::tommy::rocker:

Thanks chrgrsfan for pointing me over here, I am having some trouble myself, I appreciate you pointing me over here though. Definitely what I am dealing with, not exact but pretty damn close.

I dont wanna pollute your thread so I'm gonna start my own journal, but in a nut shell I'm having issues, LOL ISSUES......

Back
Top Bottom