Bomb Shelter HO-T5 and LED Perpetual Harvest Shelf Grow

Okay, wow, man, that was an awesome read! This, folks, is the result of painstaking planning. I am duly impressed with the detail and organization of your journal. Truly, thank you for taking the time. My goal right now is to get some grows under my belt, learn the phases of the cycle, and eventually set up a perpetual SOG. I am definitely going to take some cues from your cloner setup. Seriously, thanks for your time in laying it all out for us.

Your grow is so cool-looking. I really like how the T5's kept that internodal distance to a minimum. It's nothing short of amazing that so many plants all look so healthy. Thanks again! :peacetwo:

Hey Cheeforest!! Thanks for reading through!
I had kept a journal on here before and thought that if i was going to do it again I needed to do so in a much more organized fasion. The journals you learn the most from are the journals where the keeper learns the most as well. I love the t5's!!!!! I can definitely see the difference however with using side lighting and not using side lighting. With t5s if your growing your plants to any height id say over about 6-10 inches, side lighting is imperative to keep short stout plants.
Im afraid you spoke too soon however about the health of my plants.

Tonight, some weird stuff was happening and I need everyones help
I watered my 3 groups of flowering plants tonight. and some very peculiar stuff happened shortly after. The two younger groups of plants perked right up as normal. Leafs sticking straight out reaching for the sky.
However on my older group of plants. The bigger fan leaves kind of did the opposite. The leaf stems perked up at a nice angle toward the light. BUT the leaves themselves began to curl down. ALmost claw like, however, it did not have the edge of the leaves curling down as well. Just the entire leaf kind of curled under itself. Very odd. As i watered all the plants with the same ph out of THE SAME BUCKET. I dont know why the older plants later in flower are doing this and the others are not? Ive been looking for the cause of this for the past hour or so and have come up with NOTHING.
HELP PLEASE

Well its not overwatering unless the watering schedule has chnaged from being the exact same the last 8 weeks since seed?
As far as nute burn or lockout. That was my first inclination. I am going to revert back to pure ph water for the next 2 or 3 waterings on them. Its just a tragic time to be having issues as this period in flower, when i revert to plain ph water, its going to trick them into being flushed an they will use the left over nutes in the leaves and make it appear even worse. Hm. either way its really a win win because i will be learning from this mistake? or from this, experience in general.
Ive had one too many joints. and one too many jack an cokes. im going to take some pictures and have a picture update for internet world.

Bro at the end of flower they'll start drinking less, it's one of the ways you can tell the end is near. At this point I wouldn't sweat it at all. Let them start eating themselves. Go by the weight of the containers to decide when to water, not a schedule especially now.

Take a deep breath, at this point you're pretty much home free, no matter what you do they're going to finish. Good luck!

Hey my friend, sorry to hear you got thrown a curve ball. Blue is right (again:)) you should be just fine.

When most folks hear my water and feeding schedule they say "huh?" :hmmmm: but...

After taking the advice of DocBud (although doing it a bit different because I'm a sissy when it comes to growing still :rofl:) I flush my girls every weekend with ~3-4 gals of straight RO water and then feed them right after. They have only gotten bigger each time I've done it and you can see its been fine. I believe the flush gets rid of any build-ups and the immediate feeding gives them exactly what you want them to eat, instead of what's left in the soil from last time.

Not saying to change up your game as you have a serious green thumb :thumb: but I think a good flush may speed up the correction of any problems you're having. I notice my girls looking a little tired towards the end of each week, the ol' flush & feed makes them look as perky as a cheerleader on Red Bull :cheer: .

I'm sure you'll figure this one out and like Blue said, "No matter what..." :allgood:

Just my .02

:goodluck:

Hey my friend, sorry to hear you got thrown a curve ball. Blue is right (again:)) you should be just fine.

When most folks hear my water and feeding schedule they say "huh?" :hmmmm: but...

After taking the advice of DocBud (although doing it a bit different because I'm a sissy when it comes to growing still :rofl:) I flush my girls every weekend with ~3-4 gals of straight RO water and then feed them right after. They have only gotten bigger each time I've done it and you can see its been fine. I believe the flush gets rid of any build-ups and the immediate feeding gives them exactly what you want them to eat, instead of what's left in the soil from last time.

Not saying to change up your game as you have a serious green thumb :thumb: but I think a good flush may speed up the correction of any problems you're having. I notice my girls looking a little tired towards the end of each week, the ol' flush & feed makes them look as perky as a cheerleader on Red Bull :cheer: .

I'm sure you'll figure this one out and like Blue said, "No matter what..." :allgood:

Just my .02

:goodluck:

That sounds like great advice; I'm going to take it too if thass okay wit you! I have heard many, many growers advise flushing early and often. Then I heard one grower warn me away, saying flushes can cause as many problems as they remedy. (Another case of damn near everything I read's being contradicted someplace) But the overwhelming majority of growers flush freely.

I also read some great advice about making sure to wet the growing medium fully before feeding and watering. Helps the plants absorb at the microscopic level and prevents buildups.

As long as the pots (or bags) drain well, there really shouldn't be any overwatering concerns unless you're flushing like every day; am I correct?
There can't really be too much water in one sitting unless the roots actually get submerged?

Sorry for taking up so much space.:thumb::popcorn:

Thew1sest. Thanks!! I definitely I'm happy I've finally got this damn diy cloner up and Rollin without leaks. Makes my head feel a little better. The roots are developing very nicely as well. Most of thr cuts show roots within 5 or 6 days. And on the last two rounds I'm at 100%! Thanks again!!

Dime. I love that and have not heard or thought really about a weekly flush right before feeding.
So far I've been feeding then plain water feeding plain water and so on but not a true flush. Just a normal ammount of water. But I think I definitely am going to flush the ladies out and see how that helps.
One plant appears to have a slight buildup beginning and that is the plant with the most curl to the fan leaves. But the rest seem to be doing great. I likethat idea however. Tried to give reps for sharing but it won't let me still.
I think I might change the idea slightly to fit whay I have seen with my plants thus far however. I think I might spread it to a healthy flush every other week. 4 times during flower. Simply brcause I have not noticed any problems up until last night...

Cheeforest.. Yeah I'm on the side of the FEnce that agrees with flushing. I've done it a couple times in my grows and have seen nothing but good things. But as you said drainage is absolutely key. Gunna pull the ladies from the shelter and toss em in the shower for a nice thorough dunking..

To be honest I kind of blew my worries out of proportion last night. As you said I got thrown a curve ball and by the time te ball was over the plate I had too much jack daniels in my system so I kinda jumped a little bit.

Last night was very busy as I started to say in my update last night..
I started by watering the 3 flower groups. Followed by adding 8 more rooted clones to the veg chamber. I will take 10 more clones in 2 days. Plant totals are as follows:
8 mothers.
16 clones rooting
16 plants veg. 8 1 day old 8 7 days old
27 flower plants. 11 28 days old 8 14 days old 8 5 days old

I have found that with the size of the clones I need to cut to keep the mothers to size and thedize that produces healthy roots fast 14 days is far too long to veg. The plants in group 2 and 3 in flower are already as tall as the 4 week old plants andthst have not finished stretching yet.
With these two groups I'm going to have to do some lst on these two groups to keep them down in size. It will be a good expiriment yo see the difference in yield with lst and no lst.
With that in conclusion I will Now only veg my plants for 7-10 days. More likely on the 7 day range.

Which brings about a question. Does anyone have any thoughts about a plant being in veg for 7 days being ok in half gallon pots through flower. In 420fieds sog grow, he's in 2 liter but that is without any veg time. As well as hempy which from what I understand needs less root room?
Anyway any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Last night I also trimmed quite a few more leaves from group 1. I trimmed all fan leaves besides the top 2 on each stem. At week 6 I will take those off as well.
I am curious. Because from what I've seen in journals with defoliation. The plants have remained un lollipopped. With my girls I have already trimmedthe majority of the undernugs. With the idea of lollipopping producing larger colas I am curious if now defoliation will add even more size?

Anyway my list for tonight will be relatively short. I bought 2 more sets of side lighting that I will add for groups 2 and 3. I will also do a thorough anddeep cleaning of the room. Clorox wiping the shelves and thr buckets. As well as vacuuming and straightening up my nutrient shelf.
I'll also take a bunch of photos. Is there any photos that anyone would like me to take in particular?

Thanks for reading my novel. It was all typed on my phoneso excuse the spelling and punctuation.

Hello Cheeforest, feel free to take what you can use or change it up to suit your needs :).

I have not had any over watering problems yet :wood: but my pots drain very well. As long as yours drain well, you should be fine too.

And Mr farnorth :Namaste:

Thanks for the thought, if I can help you out that's all I need. The reason I like the weekly flush so much is that I have been able to continuously feed my girls. They have yet to have a just plain watering day...ever. Which is why I think they have grown so much, at least for CFLs anyway :grinjoint:. Plus here is another thing that's a bit strange... I water/feed twice a week once on Wednesday and the flush on Sat. or Sun.), but I notice that the soil dries faster following the flush, than it does after the mid week watering...:hmmmm:

I took DocBud's advice and changed it up a bit, so if you do the same with my advice I would think that thats the way it should be and how we can progress as growers :)

As far as the LST, well you know I love that!

Sorry for my long post, and I want to see those root pics! and veg and flower too :rofl: I love pics and yours are great to look at.

:nicethread:

I am going to try the weekly major flush sir. I like that idea alot and if it is working for you, and for you to suggest it. i will at least give it a go around. I am going to need to water tomorrow, so that is when the flush will grace the holy land. I am curious about the feeding directly after the flush though? Im just curious about how that would work, as you are essentially just immediately replacing everything that you are washing from the soil?

Take as much time as you need man. for real. sorry i have no updated more. recently, i have been quite busy with things outside of the garden. so more out of sheer exhaustion.
Also, there is some thought about needing to scale down my internet posting slightly, as i do not live in a friendly state. however i would like to keep sharing my progress.. hmmm. any ideas?

Cheeforest. going off topic is quite alright.. It really is quite a scene. There is a giant river flowing right by my house through the front yard. With salmon and bears and moose and eagles and unicorns all running freely. My dog sled team keeps the house safe from intruders however, as well as providing quite the ride when i need to make the 1500 mile trek into town. They get really great gas mileage.
Finally spring, i am seeing the sun for the first time in 8 months, and finally the ice bergs are breaking so the whales can swim freely again.

Alright ladies and gents. Here is a quick photo update...
First however, after deliberating long and hard. I am deciding to pull my c02 tonight when lights come on. The weather is getting more and more toward spring time with warmer weather, and even though the "day" time in my garen is really at night time. The last couple of days the temps have reached into the upper 90's during the fan off period. In order for c02 to work in this room, i am going to need an ac unit, especially with summer coming up. And beides the temp being around 95-98F when the fan is off, the RH is getting much too high. around 65-75%. And it is simply a pain in the ass to work down there when its that hot. I have literally been working in boxers and a tank top.
Which definitely does suck. But ill have to adapt.
On the leaves that were beginning to curl from the other day, have no began to what appears show as a salt or nute build up. So that flush is sounding better and better Dime!!

Positive notes however!!
The second group of flower plants which are now on day 19 appear to be done stretching, not much new vertical growth in the past 2 days. And bud sites beginning to pop up all over!! All the leaves are in great shae with no signs of any buildups, lockouts or burning. So for these i will also give the weekly flush followed by a feeding a try.
Group 3 is on day 6 and definitely still stretching, with not too much as of yet in the bud department..
Group 1 is on day 29. and definitely beginning to fill out. The colas are starting to connect, and trichomes are showing up more and more. Far more trichomes on the lower buds of the plants than the main colas though. But as this has been the case with the last 2 grows, im not too worried about it.
No more sacs showing up anywhere that i am aware of, and besides a little bit of buildup in the fan leaves, they are looking extremely healthy.

Anyway regardless. Here are some pictures.
after 14 days in the cloner.
IMG_086411.jpg

the new 8 in veg
IMG_08667.jpg

group 2 and 3 flower
IMG_08819.jpg

canopy on a bagseed
IMG_08748.jpg

IMG_08855.jpg

IMG_08865.jpg

IMG_08874.jpg

main cola
IMG_08894.jpg

IMG_08929.jpg

IMG_08935.jpg

this plant. bagseed # 7. is seriously going to be some dense dense stuff. Whatever this plant is it has some seriously geat genetics. I wish i would have known and kept it as a mother. The buds are already EXTREMELY dense. Not a much trichome production yet to be honest, but the simple density of the nugs are incredible. And the size and development of the nugs lower on the plant far surpass any of the other plants. The smell is also very very strong with this one. A seriously sweet smell, but with a noticible hint of spice. I cannot wait for this plant.
IMG_08948.jpg

IMG_08968.jpg

IMG_08767.jpg

I am going to try the weekly major flush sir. I like that idea alot and if it is working for you, and for you to suggest it. i will at least give it a go around. I am going to need to water tomorrow, so that is when the flush will grace the holy land. I am curious about the feeding directly after the flush though? Im just curious about how that would work, as you are essentially just immediately replacing everything that you are washing from the soil?

Take as much time as you need man. for real. sorry i have no updated more. recently, i have been quite busy with things outside of the garden. so more out of sheer exhaustion.
Also, there is some thought about needing to scale down my internet posting slightly, as i do not live in a friendly state. however i would like to keep sharing my progress.. hmmm. any ideas?

Sorry for lagging on the replies my friend, I just noticed I'm subbed to like 45 journals right now :rofl: sweet mother of God!

My thoughts on flushing and feeding are that you are flushing to get rid of excess nutes and build ups... then giving them a new, full buffet to chose from. A loose example... They may be using more P or more K and leaving the N laying around. Then I feed again and now they have the normal P and K and double the N.

I could be way off but it just seems logical when I discuss it with myself :)

As far as posting... your safety is of the upmost importance. If they want to find us bad enough.. who knows? But it's not like you have 300 plants and are taunting the feds. Just be as vague as possible when it comes to your location.

Take care my friend, I love those pics and thanks for showing the roots again!

Hey blue dog! Thanks for the kind words on the buds.
The co2 itsself doesnt raise the temperature in the room. But because I dont have an ac unit, I have to have my fan come on in cycles to bring the room temperature back down. My co2 cycle releases 1.52 cubic feet an hour, and it is on for 15 minutes, releasing .38 cubic feet of co2 to bring the room up to 1500 minutes. I have my fan off for 30 minutes while the co2 is on, and then the fan comes back on for 45 minutes.
With not having an ac unit to keep the room cool, the room is gaining far too much temp and is laying in the upper 90s, 95-97F. If i shorten the co2 period, that would temporarily solve the problem, however, i would be burning through so much of it, and the plants would only have such a short time in the enriched environment, that its pointless, and would be a waste of money. So instead, I will just crank the co2 off for a little bit, until we can get an ac unit figured out.

Dime. Thank you for the advice on the flushing. Definitely a brilliant idea and it makes perfect sense. Im definitely going to be trying that. Theoretically, would it be possible to flush every time before a feeding? Because then with that same mindset you jut said, it would theoretically be harder to burn right?

Well water time tonight in about 10 minutes, we will be flushing. If there is already salt buildups going on, im thinking the best idea is to just flush with plain water and wait to feed until they improve? But at this point in flower, maybe a 1/2 dose of nutes with the flush would be a good idea?

No problem man, Doc actually said for me to flush every time, so I think you would be correct on both the every time and the less chance for nute burn. I think either a straight flush and/or feed would be fine. But in the end just do what you think is best for your girls :).

Sorry I missed your post earlier... just got done watering and feeding my girls as well. I got some cool pics I think.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom