Deep Water Culture w/Clones - CFL's & LED's - Coco Croutons & Hydroton Media

Re: Deep Water Culture w/Clones, CFL's & LED's, Coco Croutons & Hydroton Media

Congrat's, H, on a fantastic grow! :welldone:

You really rescued those girls from the grips of severe root rot and brought them thru to a beautiful harvest of some top quality meds. :bravo:

It looks like you may get an oz. or two for your efforts! :)

A couple more questions for you, if you don't mind...

I notice you have buds both in and hanging outside of the dry rack. Is this because you don't have enough room in the dry rack without doubling up on layers, or do you find it better to hang the larger branches first, then move to the dry rack?

Also, can you please explain how you handled the 13-14 lights-on cycle? Maybe I missed it earlier. Did you switch from 12/12 for the last week or two before harvest? Did you do any complete dark cycle before harvest? If so, what's your opinion on that? I've read where some people to something like 40 hours of dark before harvesting.

Once again, great job on the grow my friend, and I appreciate your help! Looking forward to final weights & most of all, the smoke report! :tokin:

Best!

K

Thats a wrap huh?? Congrats dude, cant wait for the smoke report..... I'm down to resin hits over here....feel like PO boxing some of that for me, LOL...

I am a jealous pothead right now.

Looking forward to whats next...

Thanks guys, I really apriciate it!!:Namaste:

As the song says "What a looonnnnggg, strange trip it's been!" Just ain't "livin' on vitamin C & cocaine!", anymore at least!! LMAO!

W~
we just have to get some road coordinations together to meet up @ some undisclosed location, yet to be determined, and we have a "pow wow" session my friend! :passitleft:

K~,
I ran out of room, all layers of drying rack are full, my wife was putting the trimmed buds in there for me while I trimmed away & I even went in and moved things around to put double what she had in there, so had to start hanging stalks that had small popcorn buds on middle & bottom of branch but bigger nugget bud as tops. Also hung larger colas w/secondary colas as whole sections on the coat hangers. Not trying to jinx it but dude with my estimates of wet weight & even with 75% loss to drying still gonna be 6-8oz of top & I MEAN TOP QUALITY MEDS, got 5-6lbs fan leaves(wet weight) to make cannabutter out of drying & approx right now 2-3lbs trim/scruff buddettes(wet weight) in freezer for bubble hash.

On the lights on question, yes I went to just under 14hrs lights on last 14days, still used the sunrise & sunset fade into and out of light(1/2 lights come on 15min early & 1/2 lights go out 15min early). Seems to have really caused some growth spurts in the buds, which I would conservatively say added 20-25% more bud weight. I have read a thread by a gal who does DWC & uses bubblers pretty much exclusively now says to turn lights up after week #4 to 14hrs all the way to end of grow, who knows? I have read a lot on the total dark thing in the end 24-72hrs & find nothing more then anecdotal evidence on the fact that it does anything. So IMO nothing to gain from dark period, but have seen pictorial & video evidence of the light longer at the end & now have personal evidence; so I would have to say this works.

Both of you hold on for next one because "We's gonna push'em, Boss!". Next grow Sour Diesel & White Rhino, to anwser you W~.

I hope anybody reading through this journal finds that you to can run DWC Bubbler Style growing with a little prep, good cleanliness, & running 2-3 items that will ensure your success #1- Must run RO'ed H2O, no choice. #2- I would recommend sanitizing that RO'ed H2O with Hydrogen Peroxide (can be either 3% from Drug Store, 29% like H2O2, or 35% Food Grade, run @ right doses of course!) #3- A Root Excellerant (not root buddie for soil like Hygrozyme) but a root zone enhancer such as Dutch Master Gold Range Zone; I cannot say enough good things about this product!!

Well good luck to all, see you on the next one & I will anwser any questions if needed. Talk to ya later,

Happy Grows ~H~ :grinjoint:

:thumb::surf::Rasta::tokin::cool::hookah:

The Smoke Report

Let's start with the #'s

The HOG- 3girls = 8oz Final dried
Purple Kush- 4girls = 2oz Final dried
Hawaiian Kona Bud- 2girls = 1oz Final dried

Total Skuff was 6oz dried & 1lbs fresh used in side by side for Bubble Hash & IMO use the dried w/light grinding; you get better yields & they say use planty of ice but don't use to much as I found out with the fresh.

Final Buble Hash = 11g

Total Fan leaf for Cannabutter 9oz ground & shifted, 3lbs Plugra "European Style Butter" using the Blackout Style Crock Pot Method. = 4 x 3/4lbs blocks

The HOG- Earthy, & sweet with nice balance of headiness & couchlock. Nice crytalization & red hair formation. High yeilds, medium size, like some room to spread. Has more Sativa like traits.

Purple Kush- Sweet & aromatic, more couchlock & expands nicely. Heavy crystalization. Need undergrowth pruning. Nice Yeilds for size, smaller grower. Plant form is classic Kush.

Hawaiian Kona Bud- The strongest smelling of all. Very floral in flavor, heavy crystalization. This is giggle weed, laugh you ass off & then think your done & comes in waves! Needs undergrowth pruning. Again nice Yeilds for size, smaller grower. Another classic Kush form.

The Pics

Picture_3282.jpg

Making Bubble Hash
Picture_3291.jpg

Making 2nd Batch of Bubble Hash
Picture_330.jpg

Cannabutter using Plugra
Picture_3311.jpg

Bubble Hash Results
Picture_335.jpg

Hawaiian Kona Bud
Picture_336.jpg

Purple Kush
Picture_3371.jpg

The HOG #1
Picture_3381.jpg

The HOG #2
Picture_339.jpg

The HOG #3
Picture_3411.jpg

The HOG

Well I all can say is I have learn a tremdous amout about this form of Hydro & am ready to really put it in overdrive to see what we can do.

New Grow

4 White Rhino feminized
4 Sour Diesel feminized

Picture29.jpg

Popping out under 1 CFL
Picture_327.jpg

4 days old now under 2 CFL's
Picture_3321.jpg

1 week old, Got week nutes & under both new T5's + LED's
Picture_334.jpg

New Lights & moved electrical around to sides with Tower of Powers
Picture_333.jpg

Loven Life, Next week into 18gal Bubblers

Thanks for watching, hope you find something useful in my mishaps & see you on the next grow. Thanks again for all the support!!:goodluck::peacetwo:

Happy Grows ~H~

Nice job on the grow, H! Sounds like some fantastic bud you harvested there!
:welldone:

Too bad the weights on the PK & Hawaiian were a little low. It sure looked like a lot more weight when you harvested it, but those HOG's did real well and you'll definately have more than enough quality med's to see you to your next harvest.
:bravo:

I'm looking forward to your new grow. Are you gonna start a new journal or keep this one going?

Best!
:cheer:

NICE BRO!!! Read through and very much so enjoyed the info. Im on my 2nd hydro attempt like you :) We learn an insane amount from the first go round then you will this time around as well.
I made it through my last grow which got root rot like 3 times and i had to remove the roots... Produced over 6oz off 4 plants! :slide:
Im subscribed 4 sure. Keep up the good work.
P.S. I dont use cfls any more but if u have the space like u do... no other lighting setup can put the light in the places u can stick those cfls...just a thought ;)

NICE BRO!!! Read through and very much so enjoyed the info. Im on my 2nd hydro attempt like you :) We learn an insane amount from the first go round then you will this time around as well.
I made it through my last grow which got root rot like 3 times and i had to remove the roots... Produced over 6oz off 4 plants! :slide:
Im subscribed 4 sure. Keep up the good work.
P.S. I dont use cfls any more but if u have the space like u do... no other lighting setup can put the light in the places u can stick those cfls...just a thought ;)

Thank you very much; you ain't just whistling dixie there! Learned a ton! Root rot 3 times times, jesus I am not sure I even have that much perseverance! :goodjob: What finally killed it for you?

They say great minds think alike, I was thinking the same with those CFL's, especially now that I have my T5's with the LED's. :surf:

Happy Grows ~H~

Well res. temp had alot to do with it. Tried to use a fogger pretty sure that helped it along a little lol. Alot of res changes and ... I kow you dont like it but i added hygrozyme and it took care of it... then the knats came haha oh what fun my last grow was. Shit this go round has been a cake walk in comparison.
I very much love DWC the true form... One res. and the plants add as many bubbles as you can affford and watch the magic happen. Im using the gh 3 part nutes... Very simple.. very very simple acually i just add a couple gallons of mix every 3 days or so. I guess i check my ph once a week or something it never goes out of 5.8-6.0. Very simple just the way this and many stoners love it ;)

Yes, when you get the rot frequent res changes are in your future for sure. Well I would say it is pretty well documented that IMO Hygrozyme & DWC are voodoo for me; if I was soil I would use for sure! But with that said if it worked for you, then bueno! The important thing is you got it under control & I have to agree with the numerious posts on different forums that I have read the best way to fight it is to "not get it in the damn first place!"

Fungus Gnats Too! Man you really did have some fun, didn't you? I run SM-90 so no worries but have AZAMAX & NEEM on the shelf if I ever need them. How did you deal with your gnaty issue?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about RDWC, buckets & such; got something up my sleeve that I probably will not do on next grow(not the one that I have sprouted now or probably the next one) but when the temps are back down in the late fall got some Blueberry Azura & DJ Short's Blueberry Feminized seeds, I think I will have it together & do it then. Might even try that Lucas then. For now though going to play a little & see what I can get these to do!:cool:

Happy Grows ~H~

Well my knat problem was BAD BAD they laid all their eggs in my roots ... due to all the rotten root material and the fact that i bought a used tent from my grow shop that had knats and i guess i didnt clean it enough... oh well live n learn i guess ;) But i got rid of, well more like controled them a little... i never got rid of them 100% my knat problem with H2O2 and a bunch of rinses and fly strips all over.
All problems are gone now Everything is good in the world of DWC + Co2 + 600 watts :)

:Namaste::roorrip::party:

K~ sent this to me. I think since it was already posted on 420 & goes right to my view point + my opinion about DWC! I think it is a fitting way to end this thread!

"Re: Young Shepard Cross Breed in Deep Water Culture permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWESOME DEEP WATER CULTURE ARTICLE FROM URBAN GARDEN MAGAZINE ISSUE 10-FREE AT YOUR LOCAL HYDROPONIC STORE

ADVANCED DEEP WATER CULTURE TECHNIQUES-A MUST READ FOR ANY WATER CULTURE GROWERS OUT THERE!!!

One aspect of hydroponics that receives much attention from growers of all abilities is deep water culture aka DWC. Everest quizzes water culture expert, Daniel Wilson from Current Culture H2O, and discovers some great tips on running these productive hydroponic systems.

Of all the hydroponic growing media you can use water is cheap and the easiest to obtain. Water can be filtered, typically with an RO machine, and sterilized with UV or Ozone to create a clean and consistent substrate tailored to your growing requirements. Many hydroponic growers already understand the virtues of using, and more importantly reusing, water in hydroponic systems. So, why not go the whole hog, throw away your rock wool/soil/coco/clay pebbles and use water culture?!
What is Water Culture?

Deep water culture (DWC) — At its essence, a DWC system is made up of a container, lid and net pot. The container holds the nutrient solution (typically 2.5—4 gallons (10—15 liters)) and the lid supports a single plant growing in a net pot. Roots grow out the net pot and into the nutrient solution held in the container below. In the container, an air stone bubbles away to agitate the solution and keep dissolved oxygen levels high–essential in any DWC system. Shallow water culture (SWC) is based on the same principle but, yes you've guessed it, uses a lower volume of water.
Single vs. Recirculating

Single stand-alone systems are fairly cheap to buy and even more popular for DIY enthusiasts. Modular DWC systems, in which many containers are connected to a central reservoir, create an active system where the nutrient solution is able to cycle from the reservoir around all the pots, arriving back at the reservoir. Each has inherent issues. Stand-alone systems can be inconvenient to work with, while recirculating systems can spread problematic root diseases very quickly. The key is to operate the chosen water culture system properly, and you'll be sure to get explosive results. Once you play around with DWC, you'll most likely wish your system was modular and recirculating.

Q: Ok, lets start with the basics; what types of nutrients and additives work in DWC?

A: In my experience, pure synthetics of the highest solubility tend to work best. Especially formulations with well-balanced mineral ratios as well as being balanced on a molecular level. This tends to translate to a more pH stable nutrient solution that stays viable for longer periods of time.

Q: Where do you stand when it comes to Beneficial Biology in DWC systems?

A: There's a bit of a fork in the road philosophically when it comes to"bennies" or no "bennies". In my experiences both tend to work but I lean towards more of a sterile aqueous root zone. It is possible to use a more carbon-based substrate for a plant's root crown cultivation. It's this beneficial habitat that could harbor and allow colonization of a plant's mutualistic organisms. The solution itself has little potential for colonization of anything other than bacteria, which while useful, don't offer the benefits of fungi's, which share a more direct relationship with the roots themselves.

Q: Are there any specific pH and EC requirements you recommend?

A: Depending on the nutrient, working with a pH between 5.5—6.5 works fine. If you want to be more specific 6.0—6.3 for veg, and 5.7—5.9 for flower. It's in these pH ranges that the minerals most needed for the respective plant cycles are most available. With regards to EC, I generally recommend 50—75% of a nutrient manufacturers directed dosage for best results. Remember that lower EC can result in a higher intake of water into a plant's tissue, which in turn speeds plant metabolism and increases nutrient transport.

Q: How often should growers change-out the nutrient solution? Are there signs they should look out for?

A: Depending on the type of nutrients, a 14—21 day change out schedule is typical. When plants are growing vigorously they can turn the nutrients over several times in that time frame. This is essentially "changing the nutes" by displacement from the top-off reservoir. If the nutes begin to fluctuate in pH or become murky, or if plants begin reducing nutrient usage this is usually a good time to purge the reservoir and mix a fresh batch.

Q: What is the ideal water temperature for DWC systems?

A: We've observed that no matter the ambient air temperature, plant roots tend to do best at 62—68°F (17—20°C). Above 72°F (21°C) the solutions dissolved oxygen (DO) holding potential quickly diminishes and below 60°F (16°C) plants tend to slow their metabolism in response to what is perceived as changing seasons. This said, growers could aid in fruit/flower ripening by reducing water temps toward the end of the reproductive cycle. Being able to dial in each zone of the plant (Leaf/Root) specifically often leads to an amplification of plant productivity.

Q: Speaking about DO, what is the best practice for monitoring and maintaining DO levels?

A: Keep nutrients cool and ppm's at a modest level to ensure good DO saturation. Surface aeration and the implementation of air pumps and diffusers is an easy way to keep the solution agitated and moving. Manual as well as digital meters can be useful for those more meticulous souls. If you go digital buy high end as the budget meters (which still run several hundred dollars) are typically unreliable instruments in a pretty plastic housing.

Q: Can you run through your recommendations for propagating plants destined for DWC?

A: Establishing cuttings with an aeroponic cloner using 1/8th strength nutrients is ideal, preferably under mixed spectrum T-5 lighting. Propagating bare root plants suits DWC best. This offers an easier transition to water culture given there is no wicking substrate (rock wool, Sure To Grow) to hold excess moisture too close to the root crown.

Q: Is there an ideal water level to be maintained in the reservoir?

A: Start with the bare root submersed to the base of the rooted stalk, being sure to not submerse the stem or stalk tissue so as to avoid water logging. If using a wicking substrate, ensure the cube is approx. 1" above water line; this may necessitate hand watering for a few days before the roots hit the water.

Q: What are the potentialities for plant steering using water level / amount of root zone exposed to the air?

A: With water as their growing media, growers can tailor nutrient solution parameters more specifically. Provoking plant responses such as essential oil production, fruiting and flowering are better manipulated when the substrate can be dialed in. For example, higher exposure of the root zone to atmospheric oxygen can help trigger a plant to increase oil production as a means to conserve water, and can also apply mild root stresses that are often interpreted by the plant as reproductive cues. While higher water levels can cause plants to focus more energy on vegetative production, particularly fan leaves, which in turn speeds transpiration and photosynthetic potential.

Q: Are there any specific pests or pitfalls DWC growers should watch out for?

A: Root diseases no doubt, Pythium, Fusarium, etc. These types of problems are most evident in water culture given the roots high profile, but are also typically found in most hydro methods currently practiced. In our experiences we've observed that once the variable causing the problem is removed (warm water, too high an EC, sludging inputs, etc.), it's completely likely the plants will recover. In other words, root disease is not a death sentence, but a symptom of a problem needing to be addressed.

Q: I have heard from a few DWC growers that veg times can be significantly reduced, is this true?

A: Growers will need to make that call, but when dialed-in there is no faster way to grow plants–hydroponically or otherwise. A well-hydrated plant typically grows more quickly which will inevitably create shorter veg times and still achieve a premeditated harvestable plant size.

Q: Is DWC suitable for longer-term plants, such as donor plants? Commercially DWC is only used for lettuce and short-cycle plants, not for annuals.

A: Water culture is still a relatively new hydroponics method. Though first introduced in the 1930s by professor Gericke at UC Berkley, using water as a primary growth medium is still seen as somewhat impractical by commercial farmers. Due to the need to keep water conditions cool, it's caused the bottom line to operate large-scale water culture facilities to be cost prohibitive.

Though with the recent improvements in cooling technology and increased efficiencies, I think we are likely to see a move toward water culture as a viable alternative to the current carbon substrate-based approaches presently being used for the growth of annual vegetables.

Especially as farmers discover the reduced volume of fertilizer inputs and the conservation of precious water that are key to water culture's allure. This is an exciting time for water culture as what has been considered a black art is now emerging as a legitimate means of cultivating a variety of crops."

:grinjoint:Pythium is the enemy in DWC & if you use a good synthetic line of nutes with good ph buffers + RO & sterilize your H2O(either with Hydrogen Peroxide or UV or Ozone) you should be able to enjoy a fruitful Harvest with little trouble.

:bravo: Happy Grows To Everyone ~H~:peace:

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I'm moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom