DIY - Cheap Macro Lens for camera phones

A long time ago I ran into a neat trick for making a macro lens for the phone, for the life of me I could not remember how the instructions said to attach the lens to the phone. I ran into this again today, but cannot post the link. So, I did the instructions myself to show ya.

How many of you have one of those mini laser lights that we use to drive pets crazy and keep us laughing for hours? Check out what you can do with them.

How to make a Macro Lens for your camera phone from a mini laser light:

You need a mini laser light

macro_lens_3.jpg

Take the top off, it usually just unscrews. Then pry out the plastic part until the insides come out. In there is the little lens.

macro_lens_2.jpg

Put the little lens into the end of a bobby pin. Add a piece of tape to the other end of the bobby pin

macro_lens_4.jpg

Place the lens over the lens on your camera phone and tape the bobby pin in place. Be sure you have the flat side of the lens facing your camera lens. The convex side of it should be facing outward.

macro_lens_1.jpg

Voila! What's nice about doing this instead of the jewelers loupe is that I can keep my flash free. The jewelers loupe usually covered that on my phone. I will continue using that for sharper pics when needed.

Now let's see how close I got just hand holding:

macro_lens_6.jpg

macro_lens_5.jpg

I can see the trichome colors perfectly. You aren't going to win any photo awards for sharpness, but this does work. Can't wait to try it out with the phone on a tripod for steadiness. We'll see just how sharp we can get this. Depth of field is extremely limited. I had to get so close that the small leaves around the center area were touching the lens, so things could get sticky if you aren't careful.

:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom