Do Electrified Plants Grow Faster? Let's Find Out!

Yep, you read that right...

There has been some talk about whether or not, applying a charge to the soil will make a difference in the grow. Some have made claims of accelerated growth and even a driving away of all bugs. We are going to attempt to find out.

First, I selected two identical clones of approximately the same size. One has been labeled "control" and the other has had aluminum electrodes inserted in the soil at the edge of the cup on opposite sides, about 2/3 of the way to bottom of the soil.

electrified_and_a_control.JPG

A single 5" solar cell capable of putting out about a 1/2 volt at a fairly good amperage was chosen to be the power source. At table height approximately .1v was produced. When we used a paper towel roll and a couple of solo cups taped together to halve the distance, the inverse square law was seen and the voltage doubled. At the present height, approximately .228 v is being produced during the 12-1 hours that the lights are on.

voltage_out.JPG

We should be able to see if there is a difference between this plant and the 8 around it, one of them being our control. The plants just got their second watering, this time with a 3 day AACT teeming with microlife.

solar_cell_mounted.JPG
when i was -ahem- a kid, i remember reading a similar study about growth (not just cancer), and magnetic fields, cause by high voltage trans lines. so again, while I'm very late to the party, this'll make a fascinating read. the cowschwitz story was, also (and horticulturally related, too. not just ben &jerry stuff).

This is kind of my job - i work in a clinic using trans cranial magnetic stimulation to treat mental health issues

I've wondered about using magnetic fields to stimulate plant growth
liked the comment, publicly. [points and whispers, "this one, scares me", as urine droplets, glisten in the dawn, under his pant leg.].

Sweet! I'm very curious about this from a breeding perspective. More so than veg experiments anyways. Honestly, I want my veg stuff to slow down :laughtwo: I've come up with various ways of torture to accomplish it so I'll definitely be scratching the electric chair method off the list of things to try after this.

:rofl: I'm smoking my way through a jar of Khione just trying to find the few seeds I saw before they did the same. I back crossed it with a pair of Scott's OG males and really want to see the results.. but I hate crumbled bud lol. It's a brutal struggle. 🤦
gypsy, this is right! multi strains, delaying finishes, avoiding lights... absolutely! my findings have been any s&m and their evolution/metabolism- is delayed by a wk, to 10 days so i switch, b/t s&m & LST - to exploit this reappearing pattern, to my advantage.

maturity, not metabolism

Any specific one you would recommend? it's just plugging the cell to the cathode and bury it, right? My tent is small (50x50x120cm) so I'm thinking aboug attaching it to a wall or in the space one of the plants is gonna leave once I harvest it.

This one seems nice and foolproof

This one seems plug and play. What's the cell size I should get?

Then there's this lot which seems delightfully devilish to cover buckets or spaces in the tent, but I don't think I would have a use for all of them

Thank you!

This thread is amazing. Very cool that your job involves cannabis research.

I have a 9x12” solar panel sitting around doing nothing, wondering what I could use it for, for about 4 years now. Lol.

Looking at the specs it is 17V, 10Wp <— no idea what Wp is though.

Would this work or is it too much?

B7DEEB83-FE45-411B-A33D-4A2CB238FC84.jpeg

This thread is amazing. Very cool that your job involves cannabis research.

I have a 9x12” solar panel sitting around doing nothing, wondering what I could use it for, for about 4 years now. Lol.

Looking at the specs it is 17V, 10Wp <— no idea what Wp is though.

Would this work or is it too much?
we never tested for an upper limit on voltage, but that should be ok. It's not like 17v is dangerous or anything.

@Emilya I read this interesting experiment start to finish before realizing this was an older thread. Do you still electrify any plants today?
I havent the last two grows, but only because of laziness. I also recently threw away an early DIY solar panel that I built because the old 4" square solar cells were all very brittle and breaking down, so honestly, I need to purchase some more cells just for this specialized use, my parts bin is empty. It would be silly of me to put solar energy panels in my yard to power my home but yet not even electrify my outside plants, so I do need to get back to this, asap. I can still taste some of that electrified pot... it was awesome, and I need more.

Back
Top Bottom