Does neem oil makes buds taste bad?

It will leave a strong taste on buds. Best if used in veg only. Outside I use it as a preventative up until preflower and think it works well. What are you trying to eradicate?

First time using neem oil and it has a strong smell so I was wondering if neem oil sprayed on buds makes the buds taste bad?
Yes, it does have a smell. Smells just like Neem Oil.:) The smell does not bother me 'cause it smells like it is supposed to. And, as @stinker mentions, what are you trying to prevent or cure. There might be something that is more specific or better able to solve a problem. But it does make a good preventative.

When I started growing weed again almost 5 years ago I would read many msgs to stop spraying Neem at least 2 or 3 weeks before the expected harvest. to give the oil time to dissipate.

I do know that no one has complained about any of free samples I have given them even though the joints might have been rolled with weed that was sprayed several weeks before harvest.

Yes, it does have a smell. Smells just like Neem Oil.:) The smell does not bother me 'cause it smells like it is supposed to. And, as @stinker mentions, what are you trying to prevent or cure. There might be something that is more specific or better able to solve a problem. But it does make a good preventative.

When I started growing weed again almost 5 years ago I would read many msgs to stop spraying Neem at least 2 or 3 weeks before the expected harvest. to give the oil time to dissipate.

I do know that no one has complained about any of free samples I have given them even though the joints might have been rolled with weed that was sprayed several weeks before harvest.
I'm trying to control adult passion fruit hoppers. Looks like neem is only good for veg, I don't want my buds having a bad taste.

I'm trying to control adult passion fruit hoppers. Looks like neem is only good for veg, I don't want my buds having a bad taste.

I have used neem in veg, early flower and right up to harvest every year outside and inside because of my battle with Powdery Mildew. I wash my buds with cold water and hydrogen peroxide mix. I have no ill taste from neem oil usage I also add a few drops of dish soap to help disperse the neem in the water spray. Bottom line is if you have bugs you probably want to wash buds at harvest and if you don't treat for bugs you wont have a harvest to wash.

My advice save your harvest however necessary spray sparingly and wash your buds the end result will be safe to smoke.
Goodluck
Happy 420!

I have used neem in veg, early flower and right up to harvest every year outside and inside because of my battle with Powdery Mildew. I wash my buds with cold water and hydrogen peroxide mix. I have no ill taste from neem oil usage I also add a few drops of dish soap to help disperse the neem in the water spray. Bottom line is if you have bugs you probably want to wash buds at harvest and if you don't treat for bugs you wont have a harvest to wash.

My advice save your harvest however necessary spray sparingly and wash your buds the end result will be safe to smoke.
Goodluck
Happy 420!
I did wash my buds last season and lost some to mold because the buds take longer to dry in a small room with lots of wet buds.

I think I might go back to mineral oil combined with pyrethrum.

I did wash my buds last season and lost some to mold because the buds take longer to dry in a small room with lots of wet buds.

I think I might go back to mineral oil combined with pyrethrum.

Ive lost buds harvested in the rain to mold. I find buds that have been washed definitely dry differently than unwashed buds. Initially your right to many wet dripping buds leads to high humidity extra ventilation is required. I found they dried down quicker after that period of heavy dripping ventilation could be reduced after 24-48hrs when humidity stabilized. Drying curing is so fickle it makes a huge difference in your end result.
Happy 420!!

Ive lost buds harvested in the rain to mold. I find buds that have been washed definitely dry differently than unwashed buds. Initially your right to many wet dripping buds leads to high humidity extra ventilation is required. I found they dried down quicker after that period of heavy dripping ventilation could be reduced after 24-48hrs when humidity stabilized. Drying curing is so fickle it makes a huge difference in your end result.
Happy 420!!
Yeah more ventilation might work, it also depends on what environment you live in. When I go to harvest humidity outside averages 70%-80% with wet conditions half the time. If you live in a dryer environment this might be different.

Washing buds really does remove a lot of dirt, insects and debris from outdoor grown buds and I can highly recommend it if you live in a dry environment and you have a room with good ventilation.

Nasty little bug, well, maybe not so little based on the several web pages I visited that mentioned the size.

My impression is that Neem Oil is not going to do you much good if the insects are in the adult stage. There are some other products available to you, or at least in New Zealand, that were mentioned being used for adult insects. It seems that they can jump and fly away fast enough that they tend to stay ahead of the spray.

I am pretty sure that I read an article that mentioned they are related to the locust.

Nasty little bug, well, maybe not so little based on the several web pages I visited that mentioned the size.

My impression is that Neem Oil is not going to do you much good if the insects are in the adult stage. There are some other products available to you, or at least in New Zealand, that were mentioned being used for adult insects. It seems that they can jump and fly away fast enough that they tend to stay ahead of the spray.

I am pretty sure that I read an article that mentioned they are related to the locust.
They can jump and fly away fast enough but I spray the air when enough of them are airborne and they can't dodge all the little droplets. Also they tend not to land back on the leaves and stems that have been already treated.

When it is raining most of the hoppers try to stay where they are, even when getting hit by spray, which makes my job of controlling them a lot easier.

They can jump and fly away fast enough but I spray the air when enough of them are airborne and they can't dodge all the little droplets. Also they tend not to land back on the leaves and stems that have been already treated.

When it is raining most of the hoppers try to stay where they are, even when getting hit by spray, which makes my job of controlling them a lot easier.
All I know is that when I looked up info on that insect I did not see any recommendation of using Neem Oil even when asking for organic or natural methods of control. If I was to dig further I would be researching whether the Passion Fruit Hopper was a soft body insect like the mite and if memory serves the Neem is absorbed through the skin of Mites and then it disrupts their digestive system so they die very soon after.

If I was to dig further I would be researching whether the Passion Fruit Hopper was a soft body insect like the mite and if memory serves the Neem is absorbed through the skin of Mites and then it disrupts their digestive system so they die very soon after.
Neem does kill hoppers the same way but they are harder to kill when they are adults because their wings are like a shield over their bodies, their wings partially protects them by deflecting the spray.

I keep neem oil on the shelf for infestation in veg but try not to use it. I have diatatamatious earth dusted on the floor for crawlers. I've used rosemary oil soap to kill spider mites late flower. Killed the mites and actually made the buds taste good.spray upwards to get the underside of leaves and buds with lots of air flow.

I wonder if they are attracted to the smell of Molasses like Grasshoppers, Crickets, Gnats, etc. Put some on a plate in your grow area to see if you catch some. Warm Beer works too.... if you want to give up your beer.... lol. Can't hurt to try it. Have you tried yellow sticky traps? Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom