Doggett & Simpson Step 1

Since Step 1 has very little if any nutrients, it will only help the seedlings root development. Once the seedlings have exhausted their reserves, you will need to add Step 2, exactly when depends on the seedlings. However, I'm also interested if a reduced strength application is warranted or if it is okay to start out with Step 2 full strength in a nutrient-free medium. BTW, Sunshine Mix #4 already has mycorrhizae, is there a reason you are adding Step 1 to this medium?

It's okay to start out with full-strength, CH. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to err on the side of caution considering variation in different strains, media, growing conditions, etc., but one tbsp per gallon of water of Step 2 should be fine.

Glad you mentioned this and I should have mentioned.... I am recycling soil that has been used up for a couple grows , it is Sunshine Mix #4 but it has become neutral medium now. It was also purged in case any unwanted pests were dormant in there. I like fresh Sunshine mix I never add anything to it for a couple weeks when I start plants with it. On this batch I never saw any Myco on the ingredients listed on the bag either and if there was any I would not have gotten it also they should have marked it on the bag I saw the email so I checked , that would tick me off if it contained it and was not mentioned in the ingredients! In any case I used some fresh #4 my last grow and added Growology #1 at recommended time and grew some beautiful plants (This soil is not ready for reuse yet , needs to be purged) , perhaps no harm adding extra? Not entirely sure on that one either , now I have stuff to look in to and further research hahaha it never ends ><

Two reasons you can still use (and get great results) adding Step 1 to media that already have mychorrizae: 1) Step 1 has four strains of mychorrizae; most media only add the primary one. And 2) Step 1 also contains 50% humates, which are great for the growing media.

John

It's okay to start out with full-strength, CH. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to err on the side of caution considering variation in different strains, media, growing conditions, etc., but one tbsp per gallon of water of Step 2 should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, John. For the record, the medium that I will be using for my next grow or 2 will be Generic Indoor Potting Mix (Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite, Vermiculite and Wetting Agent) and thats it! It should be about as cold a medium as you can get! ;) I'm not making that same mistake again! ;) ;)

Caution is the key to my grows but when I have space to play I like to experiment :)

If I did not need to ensure myself a crop from my efforts from now on I would continue to try some radical stuff but for now I need to save money. It has been my priority to keep experimenting though but I have to be realistic now , life has kicked me in the no no spots real hard lately and my wallet shrank now budgeting for meds is becoming nothing but a sacrifice monthly :(

My last personal harvest saved me from needing to spend money on meds for a month. In order to be on par with a 2 plant harvest per month I need 1 veg room and 3 flowering rooms :( All I got is a closet atm only one grow space. So I will be struggling for a long time till I get a bumper in or something.... I could seriously use a break as there is no rent increase cap in my province and a greedy monopoly just purchased all rental units in my city and doubled rent. I need to eat from time to time too.... Life eh sure kicks us hard from time to time!

Be safe folk's and don't accept no wooden nickels ya'll here!

DG_Shirt.jpg

Pretty snazzy eh! Thank you so much John that made my week!

I got a T-Shirt press here at my disposal , expensive to use but I am thinking of making "Bitumen Rose" shirts. Problem is I can not find "Sweatshop Free" white tshirts out here! Sad eh :(

Back
Top Bottom