Dosage of Rosin in caps for medicinal use?

Rich 3033

Hi all, i didn't know whether to post in this category or medical cannabis one...

This rosin has been pressed through a 25micron bag (starting material was isolator hash).
Since we're talking about Rosin... Does anyone know the medicinal dosage?

My friend who's experienced in extractions said that patients don't need such a high dose of rosin compared to RSO. Like 20mg per cap instead of building up to a gram a day of RSO.

Does anyone have any research backed information as opposed to an opinion?

I tried smoking a tiny bit in a dab rig and it's a very clean/strong high which creeps up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_102357.jpg
    IMG_20190711_102357.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 338
Great question! I guess the gist of it is this... do we get increased medicinal value as THC is increased? If all the goods are in the THC then it would be a simple YES, but if a more full plant extract is shown to be more medicinal in comparison then it will be a more complicated NO.

Complicated because different ailments will respond differently depending on treatment, of course.

Hopefully as more widespread testing is allowed the simple AND more complicated answers will be known. It's a wild Wild WEST out there right now, with snake oil claims around every corner... science will soon bring us out of this stage :)

Great question! I guess the gist of it is this... do we get increased medicinal value as THC is increased? If all the goods are in the THC then it would be a simple YES, but if a more full plant extract is shown to be more medicinal in comparison then it will be a more complicated NO.

Complicated because different ailments will respond differently depending on treatment, of course.

Hopefully as more widespread testing is allowed the simple AND more complicated answers will be known. It's a wild Wild WEST out there right now, with snake oil claims around every corner... science will soon bring us out of this stage :)

Actually, some research has been done. There's a whole list of conditions and recommendations in the book CBD, A Patient's Guide to Medical Cannabis. They don't shy away from THC or any other cannabinoid. Terpines and their effects are also covered. It's a good primer for those wanting to learn the medical uses of our favorite plant.

I have a few questions regarding this hopefully you guys can help. I have a rosin press and magic butter machine. I am looking to make capsules this way at some point in the near future.

For now I have some shatter I’m trying to use with coconut oil. I want some pretty potent capsules but not insane, if that makes any sense. I was planning to do 1:10 shatter to MCT oil with 2 tablespoons of lecithin. Decarb my wax then cook in my magic butter machine for 8hrs.

What do you guys think? Will these be pretty potent? Is my cooking time long enough or should I do 2 8hr cycles I have a lot of shatter.. I appreciate your time.

Will these be pretty potent?

Howdy! You first need a good estimate on the thc content of your rosin. If not then you just have to wing it. To do that you need the dry weight of the flower before you pressed it and the weight of the rosin. If you don't know the thc % content of the flower you can use 15% as an estimate. I think the general rosin yield is 70% of the flower THC used to make it. From there you can calculate the mg in your final product, then you divide that by how many caps you will fill. Check out the worksheet in my sig.

I wouldn't use the Magic Butter Machine. It won't de-carb the rosin/shatter, and the minimum quantity of two cups is far more than I need.

You'll need to de-carb the rosin or shatter before filling your capsules. I put the rosin container in a pan with 1/2" (12mm) cooking oil in it. I use a temperature controlled induction hot plate to bring it to 230°F / 110°C, and hold it there until the bubbling stops. Those bubbles are the water being boiled off that was created as part of the decarboxylation process.

The amount of oil to add depends on the capsule size, and the dosage you want. As you haven't specified either, I can't help with that. Here's what I did for mine:

full

Calculations for Rosin Capsules

The full explanation can be found in Grandpa Tokin's thread.

I appreciate both of your replies. Here’s some more in-depth info. I’m using 00 capsules and I want to make them pretty strong. I’m using shatter this go around i actually have like 3oz of BHO shatter. So maybe for this round the MBM is a good route for me. I have the decarb box from MBM. I’m thinking about just doing a 1:5 ratio from BHO to Coconut oil. Im assuming my BHO is around 40-50% thc it’s good shatter. So thinking about decarbing my shatter in my decarb box then placing into the MBM with MCT oil and lecithin. If I used 160 degrees should I run it for 2, 4 or 8hrs? Any help is really appreciated. I have a lot of shatter and want to make sure I dont ruin it all.

-Salt ive got your guide written down. I am going to make capsules your way soon as I have a rosin press. But just looking to get rid of this shatter and I think this is the best way for me. The only reason I want to use the MBM is the quantity of shatter I have.

-Brian I like your chart just saved it on my phone. I like how you can go in and change the numbers. Thanks for the straight forward guide I’m definitely going to go off that for my next run with rosin.

Attachments

• 648DDE80-21C7-4AAD-9CFE-C7E5AE9FCA18.jpeg
    648DDE80-21C7-4AAD-9CFE-C7E5AE9FCA18.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 300
I appreciate both of your replies. Here’s some more in-depth info. I’m using 00 capsules and I want to make them pretty strong. I’m using shatter this go around i actually have like 3oz of BHO shatter. So maybe for this round the MBM is a good route for me. I have the decarb box from MBM. I’m thinking about just doing a 1:5 ratio from BHO to Coconut oil. Im assuming my BHO is around 40-50% thc it’s good shatter. So thinking about decarbing my shatter in my decarb box then placing into the MBM with MCT oil and lecithin. If I used 160 degrees should I run it for 2, 4 or 8hrs? Any help is really appreciated. I have a lot of shatter and want to make sure I dont ruin it all.

-Salt ive got your guide written down. I am going to make capsules your way soon as I have a rosin press. But just looking to get rid of this shatter and I think this is the best way for me. The only reason I want to use the MBM is the quantity of shatter I have.

-Brian I like your chart just saved it on my phone. I like how you can go in and change the numbers. Thanks for the straight forward guide I’m definitely going to go off that for my next run with rosin.

Before filling all your capsules, I suggest making only a few to test. I think the 1:5 ratio will probably be too strong in a size 00 capsule. That will be the equivalent of at least 3/4gm of flower. Your BHO is probably stronger than you think. I'll suggest it's 70% or more.

After the decarb you won't need much effort to mix the BHO shatter with the oil. I'm not sure about the lecithin, as I haven't used it. It takes me about 15 seconds for a cup. The coconut oil should be warmed up to 150°F before mixing.

I appreciate the help salt. Now how long do you cook yours for? I’m wondering if it’ll be any different times using MBM. I have a 1-8hr setting. The recipe for magical Cannabis coconut oil says 160 for 2hr per MBM. Might follow that.

Mine takes about 15-20 minutes to decarboxylate, and 15 seconds to mix.

The Magical Coconut Oil starts with decarboxylated dry herb, I start with rosin. That explains the time and temperature difference. I have the MBM, but have not used it due to the high minimum volume.

-Brian I like your chart just saved it on my phone. I like how you can go in and change the numbers.

Thank you! You could still use it. Plugging the numbers in you need ~790ml of carrier to get 878 '00' capsules that contain 40mg THC each. That's assuming 85 grams of 45% THC starting material.

Salt your absolutely right I’m glad you pointed that out that 2hrs is with dry herb.. I missed that it wasn’t adding up for me.

Brian when doing your spreadsheet what would you fill in under extraction loss for my current situation. I get the first 3 boxes go as followed: 40, 84, 45. What’s the last? Also 878 capsules holy smokes I might tone it down on the shatter use. I’m not sure what I’d do with all them capsules I’d be high for the next 2 years. :eek:

Just cut the MBM out completely. 3GS of shatter made 50 capsules. Going to test now:yummy:

Attachments

• 136EC25E-B5BB-4C82-91BC-9072DDB09869.jpeg
    136EC25E-B5BB-4C82-91BC-9072DDB09869.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 7BD08FEF-FB37-47FD-877B-AFB528D7C003.png
    7BD08FEF-FB37-47FD-877B-AFB528D7C003.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 289
  • 85FB92A2-6263-4B37-BD7D-6046CAD7CBB5.jpeg
    85FB92A2-6263-4B37-BD7D-6046CAD7CBB5.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 286
  • B7881AFC-E3AC-4000-B778-3AF5245B8607.jpeg
    B7881AFC-E3AC-4000-B778-3AF5245B8607.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 298
Brian when doing your spreadsheet what would you fill in under extraction loss for my current situation.

No extraction loss, the shatter % THC can be set at 45% THC like you suggest or 70% that old salt mentions.

For 50 '00' caps with 3g of 60% shatter you get 36mg per cap.

It is AMAZING how many caps you can make! Much more than people first realize :)

I feel like the shatter is probably 60-70% it’s good stuff. Also only used 41mg of coconut oil for the 50 capsules. Maybe I was over filling them a little, I’m not sure. But yes what dosage do you like your capsules at?

I feel like the shatter is probably 60-70% it’s good stuff. Also only used 41mg of coconut oil for the 50 capsules. Maybe I was over filling them a little, I’m not sure. But yes what dosage do you like your capsules at?

I try for 1/6 gm flower equivalent. When I can afford a THC test kit I'll be able to get it wherever I want.

Hey salt,

When you decarb your rosin for 15-20 minutes how much rosin are you using? My bubbles didn’t stop forming till an hour and 20 minutes into it. It was 5gs of wax. Also was holding 250-270 olive oil temps the whole time. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom